Those that still think we made a mistake.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
John Schneider doesn't always whiff on draft picks but when he does, it's pretty damn epic.

toffee

Reaction score

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Obviously the pick was a mistake, but the McDowell pick was no different than the Frank Clark or Bruce Irvin picks.............top 10 talent but available in the middle or bottom of the round because of character issues or trouble in the past.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because again, JS is supposed to be able to actually predict the future. It's somehow HIS fault that this guy turned out to be a turd

Rat

Reaction score
If Pete and John get credit for Frank Clark, then they absolutely deserve blame for Malik McDowell. In both cases, the red flags were there, it's just that one worked out and one didnt. With McDowell, it wasnt even just off field stuff, there were questions about his motor and work ethic. Personally, I love taking those kinds of risks, and Malik was the #1 player I wanted in that draft, but yeah we whiffed on that one.

Should the Raiders not be criticized for taking Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson because "they cant see the future"? What about the last three teams that took a chance on Antonio Brown? "Well, they couldn't have known for sure that hed go off the handle again".

We've had some risks work fantastically for us too. DK Metcalf had insanely large bust potential. We took the chance on a talented player who fell and hit it out of the park.

It's easy to get frustrated that McDowell turned out to be such a loser though. How incredible would TJ Watt or Ryan Ramcyzk look in Seahawk Blue?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
More confirmation that the draft and is often a crapshoot, and whiffing on an early pick is more often the rule rather than the exception. Coulda, woulda, should on both TJ Watt and Ryan Ramczyk, would be so great to have either.

McDowell was huge and very expensive whiff as there was little backup plan for him not showing up. The team then made trades for other expensive FA busts who didn't get kept. The legit 3 tech need still exists as a critical roster need.

Yes it was a mistake as it appears Collier is as well, yet McDowell had a higher potential upside than Collier who seems to be a better take one before they are all gone type need pick.

toffee

Reaction score
So Malik was walking in public naked, then resisted arrest? One have to praise the officer trying to arrest him, Malik's a huge muscular dude, and definitely crazy looking at that point.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17k4oztr said:
Obviously the pick was a mistake, but the McDowell pick was no different than the Frank Clark or Bruce Irvin picks.............top 10 talent but available in the middle or bottom of the round because of character issues or trouble in the past.

Win some lose some.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to go for the best pick available...Pete can't save every player that has problems.

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":c8bdfbwg said:
Exactly. Every front office has their swing and miss picks.
Our hitting average may be OK, just that for years we haven't hit any home runs.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

xray

Reaction score
Did Belichick bid on him ? Maybe not .

Rat

Reaction score
toffee":2lri5woh said:
So Malik was walking in public naked, then resisted arrest? One have to praise the officer trying to arrest him, Malik's a huge muscular dude, and definitely crazy looking at that point.

Also, it was by a school.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Aros":3j4b858b said:
John Schneider doesn't always whiff on draft picks but when he does, it's pretty damn epic.

I don't think it was a whiff so much as the quad accident clearly altered his brain.

Sparty gonna Spart.

LTH

Reaction score
What ever I. over it and way past it... shit haoppens

LTH

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Malik was a draft prospect with some red flags but was a reasonable pick at that point in the draft and was a position of need. It turned out to be one of the worst picks ever for the Seahawks but this one - unlike many, many others - wasn’t far off as to player and position.

It was a mistake to draft him but not too much a foreseeable one. Maybe a little.
It was not a mistake to release him. Even if he played for a different team later.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yfmmqkk said:
You couldn't be MORE WRONG about the McDowell pick vs. the Clark and Irvin picks... night and day. Just lumping them altogether if they got any bad press pre-draft.

Clark was clearly a solid pick, and the Seahawks vetted him thoroughly and discounted the politicized bad press Clark was getting. Yes, Clark did some dumb stuff his freshman year at UM, but learned the lesson and paid the price. The DV stuff was a politicized mess that had more to do with Clark having bad judgment in women than any character flaw. By all reports, Clark was a team leader, a hard worker, full-motor guy.

The Irvin pick was a slightly less-solid pick than Clark, but in the end it worked out well for the team and Irvin made key plays in the run to the SB48 win and SB49 appearance. Irvin also had the reputation for being a very hard worker, high-motor guy, and a good teammate. He didn't have quite the rep Clark did as a team leader, but Irvin was very green as a college player. Also on Irvin's side were the circumstances he had to overcome. Pete did his due diligence.

With McDowell, honestly, I got a different vibe, that he took plays off, but was such a tremendous physical talent with motivation and character questions, where Pete and John decided to roll the dice and bet on the Seahawks culture to reach him. I don't know that we've ever gotten the full story on McDowell's head injury and exactly what happened; if the full story ever came out, I hope someone shares it here.

Not all "troubled young men" are alike, and Pete and John have, I believe, put process in place for the team to improve their evaluation of this type of player, and how much "capital" to bet on such projects. The Percy Harvin fiasco was educational for them; I expect the team now quietly and routinely does psych profiles/evaluations that screen potential acquisitions for Cluster B personality disorders and sociopathy. Based on his past history and behavior, Harvin checked many boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder with a high degree of sociopathy.

WR Brandon Marshall is the only all-star athlete/celebrity I know of who has publicly come out acknowledging he has Borderline Personality Disorder. I salute and admire Marshall; having the courage to "come out" and become an advocate, where nobody else ever has, despite it being a widespread condition. Marshall sure tore up the Hawks when he played for the Bears and Dolphins in his All-Pro years.

SeaWolv

Reaction score