Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Osprey vs Falcon

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Osprey vs Falcon
Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 am
  • out of sheer curiousity -- any bird enthusiasts in here???

if the two birds fight each other in real life, who is more likely to win, the Seahawk/Osprey or a Falcon?

/sorry if I posted this in the wrong form ;).
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

Re: Osprey vs Falcon
Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am
  • "kind of a bird durby..."
    Sprfunk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 am
  • Come Sunday......

Interceptor
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 am
  • Depends on which falcon. A peregrine falcon would probably mess up an osprey pretty badly.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:31 am
  • The Falcon is faster, both are predators for small mammals. I think the Falcon might have a higher appetite for meat, where the Osprey is fine getting fish out of the water.

I watched an Osprey take a massive trout out of the Deschutes River in Oregon, at least 20" while it was attached to my line and literally snapped the 6lb test line like it was a spider web while flying away.

That said, I think the Falcon is capable of like 200mph or something crazy like that. HELLO..

Doesn't matter on Sunday though. These are Seahawks...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:33 am
  • Falcons are much, much smaller then Osprey's.

Really, the Falcons only real advantage is in the speed with which it can strike down at.

Outside of that, the Osprey should be able to beat the crud out of any type of Falcon in a heads up one on one battle.
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am
  • loafoftatupu wrote:That said, I think the Falcon is capable of like 200mph or something crazy like that. HELLO..

The peregrine falcon is what you're thinking of. Other/regular falcons can't do that. It's ridiculous what a peregrine can do, though; as far as speed goes.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am
  • But that speed is only for the 'dive' it uses to catch it's prey, it's not like it fly's that fast in general.

So the Falcons will come in with speed to start and catch us of guard, but after that initial surprise strike, it will be a strait up brawl, in which the Osprey has the much bigger advantage.
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am
  • So long as the osprey doesn't get hit in the back by a Falcon in a dive (that is where they can hit 180-200 mph), osprey should win out. Osprey's are very tough birds, more so I believe than Falcons...
    sam1313
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am
  • Sprfunk wrote:"kind of a bird durby..."

HA!
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm
  • Osprey. It's pinioned wings are more powerful to lift things out of water, which is more dense than air. Grabbin feet are stronger with more sickled talons and a denticle like surface to grip.

MY FEARLESS PREDICTION
    Osprey: 1
    Generic Falcon: 0
    ParisPC07
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 pm
  • I live where there are Peregrine falcons and Red-tailed hawks. I was lucky enough to see a Peregrine hunt once in Central Park. Un-freaking-believable. It doesn't look natural. Like a jet punching a pigeon.

And those red-tailed hawks are huge. They roost in the trees, mostly unseen unless you are actively looking. They can be found in the trees at the southwest entrance of the park.
    Interceptor
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 pm
  • Which one has the bigger talons?
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm
  • I studied birds in my zoology class last summer.

They are both of the Order Falconiformes. The osprey is more of a surface diver (in which it plummets and dives through the water) to catch fish, and falcons are usually just air divers and plummet towards the ground for smaller animals.

I took a picture of a dead osprey from my lab, but I don't think it's appropriate to post it up here.
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:Which one has the bigger talons?

:lol:
    Classic.
    six sigma
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:04 pm
  • We're not one Osprey , were a flock !

Richard Sherman
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:45 pm
  • "The Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus), also known as the Peregrine,[2] and historically as the Duck Hawk in North America......" Wiki

This falcon sounds more like the Oregon Ducks! Quack Quack. (scores really fast AND known as the duck hawk)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm
  • So it pretty much boils down to the fact that for the Falcon to win it has to be prefect and not make a single mistake(on it's death dive that is).

Sounds good to me.
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:41 pm
  • Ospreys are slightly larger than eagles. I believe they are the world's largest birds of prey, unless you count vultures/condors, but that would be kind of silly.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:That said, I think the Falcon is capable of like 200mph or something crazy like that. HELLO..

The peregrine falcon is what you're thinking of. Other/regular falcons can't do that. It's ridiculous what a peregrine can do, though; as far as speed goes.

more like Peregrine meth head. Holy cow I didn't know any bird could fly that fast.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 pm
  • ParisPC07 wrote:Osprey. It's pinioned wings are more powerful to lift things out of water, which is more dense than air. Grabbin feet are stronger with more sickled talons and a denticle like surface to grip.

MY FEARLESS PREDICTION
    Osprey: 1
    Generic Falcon: 0

So they can carry more missiles and such right?
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:56 pm
  • kearly wrote:Ospreys are slightly larger than eagles. I believe they are the world's largest birds of prey, unless you count vultures/condors, but that would be kind of silly.

No they aren't. Bald Eagles are larger by a decent margin. (60cm compared to about 70cm in length, and about a 1/3rd heavier on average.)

*the more you know*
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm
  • Okay guys, this is gonna sound a little off the wall, but I'm kinda qualified to tell you all how this fight would go. A: I was once the world online virtual dogfighting champion. I learned my skills from actual top gun trainers in the USAF. B: as luck would have it, I've actually witnessed a small hawk engage a bald eagle in a drawn out battle in the air.

The Osprey, being the larger of the two birds, is the more powerful climber. It is also the less maneuverable of the two. The Falcon, being smaller, can dive faster and here's the part I was surprised to learn from watching first hand: Much like a German Messerschmidt from WW2, the bird that dives quickly can "zoom" back up just as quickly.

What develops is a classic "boom and zoom" fight where the Falcon makes quick dives from an advantageous position and zooms back out of reach again. The Osprey, however, will use it's larger wingspan to steal some altitude after each strike. This is called energy fighting and every dogfighter pilot learns about energy fighting. Birds, naturally, are instinctual energy fighters. So long as the Falcon doesn't get a crippling strike against the Osprey, then each "boom and zoom" attack becomes less and less effective as the Osprey closes the energy gap between the two birds. At some point, the Falcon will make one last, desperate strike, then dive away never to return, it's energy advantage lost.

One mistake by the Falcon and the Osprey will have it for lunch. One mistake by the Osprey and it will find itself in trouble, unable to win the energy fight, unable to escape unless there is a tree nearby to take refuge in. The one thing the Falcon doesn't want to do is enter the branch zone of a tree against an Osprey where the Falcon loses its speed and mobility advantage and the Osprey's size wins out. So if the Falcon gets a crippling strike on the Osprey, the seahawk will make for the branches of a tree. If there is no where to run to, the Osprey will have to take the fight low to the ground and hope for the best.
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm
  • In North America Bubo owls and Bald Eagles (and possibly other eagles of comparable size) are the only major predators of both nests and sub adults.[36]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey

In other words, even Bald Eagles aren't praying on Ospreys. Osprey>Falcon despite the speed factor.
    sam1313
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:08 pm
  • Peregrine falcon is the mascot of my alma mater (United States Air Force Academy) and is the only performing NCAA mascot. That is one bad bird. Fastest animal on the planet. It has a reinforced breast plate so it can ram other birds, daze them and then eat then while they are laying there wondering where the hell this little bat out of hell came from. Falcons also can't glide. They have to flap their wings at all times to stay airborne which burns a ton of energy.

Finally, I fly an F-16 "Fighting Falcon" and that's another nasty little bird. 29,500 lbs. of thrust on a 22,000lb. airplane capable of 9Gs is a deadly combo in close combat.

All that said, a generic falcon gets his ass kicked by an Osprey. But let's not talk about the military realm.

My good friend Garrett "Mace" Dover flying the West Coast Demo jet above.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 pm
  • I live in an area that has both Bald Eagles and Osprey . This time of year we go down to the lake and watch the Eagles fish for Kokanee ( blue back) . The osprey will attack and harass the eagle until it drops its fish and then the osprey feasts ! We will feast !
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm
  • I live on the water and regularly watch the Ospreys harassing Bald Eagles. They have serious attitude. In the straight up fight as inquired of the Falcon would be over matched by a much stronger and more aggressive predator in the Osprey. In a speed contest the Falcons would be faster but in a fight the Osprey is bigger stronger and nastier.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:39 pm
  • falcongoggles wrote:Peregrine falcon is the mascot of my alma mater (United States Air Force Academy) and is the only performing NCAA mascot. That is one bad bird. Fastest animal on the planet. It has a reinforced breast plate so it can ram other birds, daze them and then eat then while they are laying there wondering where the hell this little bat out of hell came from. Falcons also can't glide. They have to flap their wings at all times to stay airborne which burns a ton of energy.

Finally, I fly an F-16 "Fighting Falcon" and that's another nasty little bird. 29,500 lbs. of thrust on a 22,000lb. airplane capable of 9Gs is a deadly combo in close combat.

All that said, a generic falcon gets his ass kicked by an Osprey. But let's not talk about the military realm.

Awesome :)
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm
  • falcongoggles wrote:Peregrine falcon is the mascot of my alma mater (United States Air Force Academy) and is the only performing NCAA mascot. That is one bad bird. Fastest animal on the planet. It has a reinforced breast plate so it can ram other birds, daze them and then eat then while they are laying there wondering where the hell this little bat out of hell came from. Falcons also can't glide. They have to flap their wings at all times to stay airborne which burns a ton of energy.

...after Earl Thomas
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 pm
  • The 'sea hawk' (osprey) would destroy a falcon. Dive speed doesn't matter if they're squaring off, toe-to-toe over a nest. The Osprey is at least twice the size of a falcon. A falcon may be a little more aggressive, but a sea hawk is a lot stronger. While falcons are out snagging mice off the ground. An osprey is ripping fishing nearly twice their size out of the sea and flying away with them. It take a lot of strength to carry a 16-22 inch salmon in flight. While the falcon is nibbling on a field mouse that weighs a couple ounces.

Look at how big that fish is at 1:53

There are videos on the net of sea hawks grabbing fish much bigger than that too.
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 am
  • That vid reminds me of how Lynch swooped in to grab the fumble on the run.

Oh and RW got some huge talons himself for a seahawk.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:43 am
  • kearly wrote:Ospreys are slightly larger than eagles. I believe they are the world's largest birds of prey, unless you count vultures/condors, but that would be kind of silly.

I believe the largest bird of prey in the world is a Philippine Eagle. They eat monkeys lol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Eagle
    Rotoki521
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am
  • No one posted a pic of the "Millenium Falcon"? I'm shocked, no devastaed, disappointed in all you Star Wars fans This is the best Falcon ever, would destroy an Osprey.

"It’s the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs" (Rumor is that Russell Wilson was seen running past it though, but, we won't tell Han Solo) Shhhhhh!

:sarcasm_off:
    Hawknight
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Okay guys, this is gonna sound a little off the wall, but I'm kinda qualified to tell you all how this fight would go. A: I was once the world online virtual dogfighting champion. I learned my skills from actual top gun trainers in the USAF. B: as luck would have it, I've actually witnessed a small hawk engage a bald eagle in a drawn out battle in the air.

The Osprey, being the larger of the two birds, is the more powerful climber. It is also the less maneuverable of the two. The Falcon, being smaller, can dive faster and here's the part I was surprised to learn from watching first hand: Much like a German Messerschmidt from WW2, the bird that dives quickly can "zoom" back up just as quickly.

What develops is a classic "boom and zoom" fight where the Falcon makes quick dives from an advantageous position and zooms back out of reach again. The Osprey, however, will use it's larger wingspan to steal some altitude after each strike. This is called energy fighting and every dogfighter pilot learns about energy fighting. Birds, naturally, are instinctual energy fighters. So long as the Falcon doesn't get a crippling strike against the Osprey, then each "boom and zoom" attack becomes less and less effective as the Osprey closes the energy gap between the two birds. At some point, the Falcon will make one last, desperate strike, then dive away never to return, it's energy advantage lost.

One mistake by the Falcon and the Osprey will have it for lunch. One mistake by the Osprey and it will find itself in trouble, unable to win the energy fight, unable to escape unless there is a tree nearby to take refuge in. The one thing the Falcon doesn't want to do is enter the branch zone of a tree against an Osprey where the Falcon loses its speed and mobility advantage and the Osprey's size wins out. So if the Falcon gets a crippling strike on the Osprey, the seahawk will make for the branches of a tree. If there is no where to run to, the Osprey will have to take the fight low to the ground and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info!! I see this analysis as being a true metaphor for how the Seahawks beat the Falcons this weekend:

The Osprey:
    Big, hard hitting, bird that wins based on fighting off each strike and pounding through the opposition--Just like the Seahawks running game.

The Falcon:
    Fast, illusive bird that wins by outmanuvering a bigger, more physical opponent by taking quick repeated shots at the opponent until he loses his will--Just like the Falcons passing game.
    aawolf
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:39 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:The Falcon is faster, both are predators for small mammals. I think the Falcon might have a higher appetite for meat, where the Osprey is fine getting fish out of the water.

Since when is a fish a mammal?

Amazing. <shaking head, wondering how old the Loaf is>

From Wiki...
    The Osprey (Pandion haliaetus), sometimes known as the sea hawk, fish eagle or fish hawk, is a diurnal, fish-eating bird of prey.

Same source...
    As its other common name suggests, the Osprey's diet consists almost exclusively of fish.

Link to source... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 am
  • Screw game statistic debates, I like the zoological angle better
    ArrogantShawn
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 am
  • I thought this was gonna be a dumb thread so I never clicked on it but it definitely did not dissapoint! awesome info!
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information