Which would you prefer 4 more yards per drive or 1 less INT?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think I just realized the ultimate stat comparison that can instantly shut anyone up when they say Luck is better than Wilson. I posted this in another thread but I think it's such a clear and clean measure of why Wilson > Luck that I'm just gonna make a new topic.

This is for all the millions of ignorant fans who think Luck is better than Wilson because of his total yards:

If total passing yards are so important in your QB evaluations then you must include rushing yards as well for a QB's production.

Passing + Rushing Yards Per Game Average

1) Brees = 278
2) Luck = 276
3) Rodgers 273
4) Manning = 257
5) Wilson = 234
6) Brady = 222

So while this comparison does make Luck look pretty good at first glance if you really think about it... well Wilson is about 40 yards per game behind Luck. Wilson is about 20 yards behind Manning.

So we measure the value of Luck's additional 42 yards per game against his interceptions.

Including the post-season Luck has 54 interceptions in 35 games an average of 1.54 interceptions per game.

Including the post-season Wilson has 20 interceptions in 38 games an average of .526 interceptions per game.

So I ask YOU RUSSELL WILSON DOUBTERS... WHAT WOULD YOU PREFER 42 MORE YARDS PER GAME OR 1 LESS INTERCEPTION PER GAME?

I sure as heck would prefer my QB to get 1 less interception per game than just 42 more yards...

According to this source:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-drives-per-game/2013/

Average Drives Per Game in 2013:

Colts: 11.8
Seahawks 11.4

So while 42 yards might sound like a big advantage for Luck if you average that out for 11 drives per game that is 3.81 more yards per drive.

So would you rather have about 4 more yards per drive or 1 less interception per game? The choice is clear Wilson > Luck.

There is just no valid analysis to state Luck is better, people who believe that simply don't understand what QB's need to do to win football games consistently.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Good find. I agree but I still think many other teams fans if they has the choice would select Luck over Wilson. After a few winning the SB again this year I think Wilson will get the respect he deserves.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tokabub would you please go back to drunken posting? You're freaking me out with all this rationality and facts nonsense.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Tokadub":357qpw22 said:
I think I just realized the ultimate stat comparison that can instantly shut anyone up when they say Luck is better than Wilson. I posted this in another thread but I think it's such a clear and clean measure of why Wilson > Luck that I'm just gonna make a new topic.

This is for all the millions of ignorant fans who think Luck is better than Wilson because of his total yards:

If total passing yards are so important in your QB evaluations then you must include rushing yards as well for a QB's production.

Passing + Rushing Yards Per Game Average

1) Brees = 278
2) Luck = 276
3) Rodgers 273
4) Manning = 257
5) Wilson = 234
6) Brady = 222

So while this comparison does make Luck look pretty good at first glance if you really think about it... well Wilson is about 40 yards per game behind Luck. Wilson is about 20 yards behind Manning.

So we measure the value of Luck's additional 42 yards per game against his interceptions.

Including the post-season Luck has 54 interceptions in 35 games an average of 1.54 interceptions per game.

Including the post-season Wilson has 20 interceptions in 38 games an average of .526 interceptions per game.

So I ask YOU RUSSELL WILSON DOUBTERS... WHAT WOULD YOU PREFER 42 MORE YARDS PER GAME OR 1 LESS INTERCEPTION PER GAME?

I sure as heck would prefer my QB to get 1 less interception per game than just 42 more yards...

According to this source:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-drives-per-game/2013/

Average Drives Per Game in 2013:

Colts: 11.8
Seahawks 11.4

So while 42 yards might sound like a big advantage for Luck if you average that out for 11 drives per game that is 3.81 more yards per drive.

So would you rather have about 4 more yards per drive or 1 less interception per game? The choice is clear Wilson > Luck.

There is just no valid analysis to state Luck is better, people who believe that simply don't understand what QB's need to do to win football games consistently.

Good stuff, OP.

If this is entirely accurate, it can be taken a step further, proving that on a neutral field, RW is better than Luck by (about) 3.5 pts per contest.

That's all that matters in the end, but as with all stats, other variables can be introduced that allow the swing of the pendulum / argument to favor either man. But then you start talking draft placement and that's when the pendulum severs Luck's head.

My money says both will be perennial pro-bowlers and may ultimately face each other in a SB. I feel fortunate that barring a hell-ride down telluride , I will watch two of the future all-timers compete for many years to come.

And I don't ski.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Stats like these won't matter to the people who say Luck is better. Their entire argument is based on the theory that Luck is the only good player on the Colts team, they think he wins every game by himself.

Also Marshawn Lynch and the defense complete all those passes, not Wilson, duh.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Luck v. Wilson will be this generations Manning v. Brady. Just watch.

zhawk

Reaction score
In the Luck vs. Wilson argument, I'll take the super bowl win. go hawks!

Tical21

Reaction score
We're not over this yet? Jeebus we're annoying.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ Feelin' ya', Tical.

I've lived many places in life, obviously meeting many people. I don't think I've ever known a population of people, smarter, kinder or more tolerant than Seattle's. Can't get my head around this hatred for Luck..whether ESPN likes him more than Russ, or not, who really gives a flying ratsass about such things? I really wish people would stop at times and ask themselves...how would I feel about Andrew if he was playing in Seattle? If answered truthfully, you'd probably use the exact some descriptions (other than "short") that we use for Russ. 2 very fine young men representing men and football to the best of their abilities and doing so at extremely high levels. Know that it's OK to like them both and understand the talking heads have an agenda...and scripted to maximize profit. Capitalism at it's best and that is something I respect and embrace. Especially knowing their "opinion" is only driving my guy harder. Making him better.

I heart Andrew Luck and RW more so.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":r7sjcw2g said:
Luck v. Wilson will be this generations Manning v. Brady. Just watch.

Difference is Manning was actually good and threw TDs. Wilson joined Marino (68) and Manning (52) as the only quarterbacks in NFL history to pass for at least 50 touchdowns in their first two seasons. Luck had 46 and had more Throws (1197) than Marino (860), Manning (1108) and Wilson (800).

I swear if the Colts didnt completely tank the year before and seen as the worst team in the league to get Luck along with the most Hype I have seen for a QB in years coming out of the draft Luck would be seen as merely an average QB.

Compare Lucks #'s to any of the other guys who have been in the league the last 3 years or so.

Lucks first 2 years
682/1,197 57.0% 8,196yards 46TD/27INTs 81.5 QB rating

Why isnt Dalton considered as good as Luck is? Its not like the Bengals were some powerhouse team.

Daltons first 2 years
629/1044 60.2% 7067yards 47TD/29INTS 83.9 rating

Dalton with less throws only had 1 less TD, 2 more ints, and a better completion % and QB rating. Yet Daltons perception of how good a QB is nowhere near luck. Last year, Daltons 3rd year, he had more TDs, yards and QB rating, but had more INTs than Luck.

Kaepernick
382/639 59.8% 5,046yards 31TD/11INT 93.8rating

Kaep had 558 less throws than Luck in basically 3 less games but only had 15less TDs and a WAY better QB rating. Outside of playing Seattle he only has 6 career INTS.

Newton first 2 years:
590/1002 58.8% 7920yards 40TD/29INT 85.3 QB Rating. Also had 22 rushing TDs, Luck had 9, so Newton had more TDs total.

Looking at those Stats how can anyone say Luck is head and shoulders above anybody. He is solidly in the Mix with Dalton, Kaep and Newton IMO.

Also we saw what Nick Foles did last year. If he can have replicate another year like he had last year he is easily in the conversation with Wilson and Luck

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3qtyh02n said:
Tokabub would you please go back to drunken posting? You're freaking me out with all this rationality and facts nonsense.

Don't worry I'll be sure to have some good drunken rants this year :D

Everything is going too well so far and I'm trying to cut back on my drinking but all that could change with 1 ugly game ;)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tical21":33y8ic47 said:
We're not over this yet? Jeebus we're annoying.

There are clearly not enough Wilson vs. Luck threads started in the last day.