NFL Officiating

Largent80

Reaction score
Huge topic.

Umm, I've been watching football for over 50 years and even with technology this is the worst I have ever seen.

I could go into details of particular plays but will leave it open for discussion.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I think the NFL is pulling their refs from the Pac-12! Those guys have been a shit show for as long as I can remember...

I've already proposed fining NFL refs up to their full game pay for gross incompetence. Might motivate better results.

94Smith

Reaction score
There are too many rules designed to protect the players. It creates a lot of subjectivity and more referee influence overall. The NFL was pretty much forced to do so, but it lessens the game quality overall.

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":sceh18v5 said:
There are too many rules designed to protect the players. It creates a lot of subjectivity and more referee influence overall. The NFL was pretty much forced to do so, but it lessens the game quality overall.

Have a waiver you sign knowing there is potential for injury, there has to be a precedent somewhere, for the money they make few won't be willing to sign I would think.

Then roll back the damn rule book with just a few exceptions.

xray

Reaction score
Even their revues are in real time . Try that hat on geniuses . Excuses are like A--holes...everybody has them and they all stink .

cymatica

Reaction score
Insufficient training. I like Hugh Mullens idea. Have the refs train with virtual reality and real tape, and speed it up 25 or 50%.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Have COMPUTERS officiate games, not humans! Just NYC remote human review...

Been wanting this for years. We have the technology. (Not that it would be easy to make, but so what?)

Washington49er

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3cugt3t4 said:

Been wanting this for years. We have the technology. (Not that it would be easy to make, but so what?)

Thought I saw something years ago where they were experimenting with something in the ball and on the goal line than would detect if the ball crossed or broke the plane.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Washington49er":11y4flru said:
RolandDeschain":11y4flru said:

Thought I saw something years ago where they were experimenting with something in the ball and on the goal line than would detect if the ball crossed or broke the plane.
I remember seeing something about that, too. Strategic sensor placement on players combined with plenty of cameras and they should be able to get this accomplished, though.

The NFL desperately needs to take the human element out of officiating!

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1sd9a12f said:
Washington49er":1sd9a12f said:
RolandDeschain":1sd9a12f said:

I remember seeing something about that, too. Strategic sensor placement on players combined with plenty of cameras and they should be able to get this accomplished, though.

The NFL desperately needs to take the human element out of officiating!

This was talked about a few years back and the NFL at that time said they would need more cameras and technology, it would be cost prohibitive.

Yes that's bullshit for this league, they need the out if they are tilting games, the human element in mistakes is a good way to do it without holding them accountable.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Things like holding, blindside blocks, etc. will still have to be monitored and if necessary flagged by humans regardless if they're on the field or in a video center.

Washington49er

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3lvp70wz said:
Things like holding, blindside blocks, etc. will still have to be monitored and if necessary flagged by humans regardless if they're on the field or in a video center.

True, but I think it would work for ball placement, forward progress, etc.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Considering that when the Hawks were up 11 and controlling the game and line of scrimmage, and the blatant facemask on Russ was ignored.....yes, the Refs once again did their best to keep the game close.
The helmet to helmet TWICE on Lockett was a joke. The call in the Punt was clearly a shoulder hit, magically it's yet another penalty. And how many times did Russ get drilled after sliding? Not ONE time was it called :roll:
Shoot, Jimmy G got suplexed and nothing was called. The officiating is pathetic, Pac-12 bad this year.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Not only that but they have removed one of the most exciting plays in the game....the Kickoff.

Unless the kicker short kicks it, there aren't any returns, or very rarely does a player bring one out. It's a total waste of time, might as well just put the ball on the 25 and skip the whole process.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Largent80":2l63gkji said:
Not only that but they have removed one of the most exciting plays in the game....the Kickoff.

Unless the kicker short kicks it, there aren't any returns, or very rarely does a player bring one out. It's a total waste of time, might as well just put the ball on the 25 and skip the whole process.

Who are you replying to?

Threedee

Reaction score
Largent80":34um6z8i said:

The one compromise I am grateful for is PATs. People were advocating the league eliminate single-point PAT tries, and just give teams 7 points, or the option of trying for two, when needed. I was also pleased when they adopted the college rule for blocked PAT kicks, which can now be returned for two points.

It seems like they could sit down and negotiate some decent changes that don't take all of the fun and strategy out of kickoffs.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Why can’t we just learn to live with mistakes? We live with fumbles bouncing into the arms of the opposition rather than back into our arms. Nobody is calling for a round ball that bounces fairly.

You can’t eliminate human error in officiating, unless you remove all rules with subjective content. The human eyes and brain are not that good and computer AI sucks at subjectivity. Best just to learn to accept that some days you’ll get the short end of the officiating stick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It would be VERY easy to have someone sitting up at a press box area, with similar views that we get on TV to buzz down to the officials to let them know they missed something. That facemask on Russ wasn't official human error crap. They CHOSE to ignore it. Period. They CHOSE to ignore a play that cost the Saints the Super Bowl last year. No reason they can't have someone call down and make it known they missed something and/or called something wrong like a helmet to helmet that clearly isn't one etc. Why should we just accept them getting it wrong, over and over again? The problem is league wide and it's ruining a great game. It's not acceptable, and they don't seem to have any accountability.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kj0q0m3 said:
It would be VERY easy to have someone sitting up at a press box area, with similar views that we get on TV to buzz down to the officials to let them know they missed something......
Many people are in favor of a sky judge including all 32 NFL coaches last offseason. For some reason the league is resistant to it but eventually it'll happen imo. Needs to be a time limit on it tho.