Undisputed

Sugarrayjay

Reaction score
I'm probably a little less anti skip then some of you American Hawks. I actually.find him quite ironic and amusing at times. But my lord I've enjoyed watching him today after the Bill's creamed the Cowboys last night. Pure comedy. I always kind of get his shtick because I'm as much of a hawks homer as he is for the boys. But it's always funny watching him on tv absolutely gutted

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Undisputed how funny that was. I tuned into him just to taste his salty tears.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Skip. I agree with him sometimes, and other times I don't. His job is to do a daily TV show where he has to make predictions and have opinions about a bunch of different stuff across multiple sports while also keeping the audience engaged so that people actually watch the show. He has a solid delivery and camera presence, and he mixes up the types of comments/opinions he gives so that people don't get bored. He also masterfully acts like he genuinely cares and is vested in the topics he discusses or debates. That's what people like when it comes to TV programs...emotion, drama, tension, etc. So overall, I'd say he's really damn good at his job.

To be honest, I never really understood all the hate for Skip. Hell-Bent, a book he wrote in the 1990s about the Cowboys is an often cited reason for disliking him, more specifically the section about the rumor that Troy Aikman was gay, which had been floating around for years and was not initiated by Skip. But the only thing the book talks about is Skip's efforts in trying to research that rumor...efforts that led to a stronger affirmation that Troy Aikman is in fact not gay at all. So I dunno about that one, either.

Also, I re-watched the episode of First Take with Richard Sherman arguing with Skip. I love Sherman, and I loved his cantankerous attitude toward opponents and people in the media. But now that the emotions of that Super Bowl year are worn off, and we have the benefit of hindsight, it seems like Skip was a lot more accurate in his opinion of Sherman than many were willing to believe. He mentioned that Sherman had the benefit of good pass rushers, safeties, etc, which helped his individual stats as a corner. I don't think he ever had as good of a year statistically as he did in 2013, a year in which we fielded an all time great NFL defense.

Okay, so I think that's enough Skip Bayless worshiping for one afternoon. I'll give it a rest. I'm not necessarily a fan, but the hate he gets is very baffling to me, so I gotta try and make things right.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Does it seem to anyone else that the quality of national sports shows has taken a downturn in the past five years?

Despite having a lot of former QBs, coaches, etc. on staff, they don't let them talk much. The matchup is always Stephen A screaming or Sharpe/Bayliss screaming, with some hapless woman reffing when they must stop for commercials.

The best segment I've seen Bayliss do, ever, was when he got Richard Sherman on. Bayliss kept tryng to needle Sherm into screaming that he was better than Revis, but instead, Sherm just deadpanned delivered that Skip was "a cretin" and my favorite line ever:

"In my 24 years of life, I am better at life than you."

Bayliss was shocked speechless. Now THAT's entertainment.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":115fd19g said:
Does it seem to anyone else that the quality of national sports shows has taken a downturn in the past five years?

Despite having a lot of former QBs, coaches, etc. on staff, they don't let them talk much. The matchup is always Stephen A screaming or Sharpe/Bayliss screaming, with some hapless woman reffing when they must stop for commercials.

The best segment I've seen Bayliss do, ever, was when he got Richard Sherman on. Bayliss kept tryng to needle Sherm into screaming that he was better than Revis, but instead, Sherm just deadpanned delivered that Skip was "a cretin" and my favorite line ever:

Yeah you have click bait guys instead of Journalists and people that know how to dig up a story rather then copy and broadcast a tweet without the background behind it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
His love of the Cowboys and endless attempts to make them relevant when they simply aren't (he's certainly not alone in that respect) is plenty for me to dislike him and never watch, which I don't. When any of the sports people in the media start talking Cowboys I almost always turn them off. I refuse to give my ratings or attention to anyone that spends time on a franchise that hasn't even been to a conference championship (let alone a Super Bowl) game in 25 years when all but 2 other members of the NFC have.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":20gxkkur said:

I just rewatched that clip and wrote an entire paragraph about it. It was an entertaining 7 minutes for sure.

But yeah, I agree it seems like most sports shows are watered down these days. I used to be able to tolerate them when they were on in the backgrounds and now I have to turn it off it's so boring.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sugarrayjay":2v34aljf said:
I'm probably a little less anti skip then some of you American Hawks. I actually.find him quite ironic and amusing at times. But my lord I've enjoyed watching him today after the Bill's creamed the Cowboys last night. Pure comedy. I always kind of get his shtick because I'm as much of a hawks homer as he is for the boys. But it's always funny watching him on tv absolutely gutted
I like watching Shannon Sharpe.

HawkGA

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3xhbpcmn said:
Sugarrayjay":3xhbpcmn said:
I like watching Shannon Sharpe.

Sharpe is pretty good. I'm not a big fan of Skip's. His schtick just doesn't work for me.

To the comment above about Sports Talk going downhill the last 5 years . . . I don't know about the 5 years marker, but it certainly has gone down. I think the purge at ESPN had a lot to do with it.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I can't hear whether Sharpe is saying anything noteworthy, because he screams all the time.