Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The NFL is in a No Win Situation

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:08 pm
  • Interested to hear other's take on this, but I think the NFL has a no win situation on their hands.

    There's no way a vast number of player's won't be kneeling for the Anthem's this year, and there's no way the NFL can mandate against it, nor can I see them even trying to do so. Other player's who choose to stand for the Anthem may now be at risk of being labelled racist for not kneeling, and so they'll either be chastised for standing, or feel obligated to kneel as well.

    That said, it's inevitable that a large percentage of fans will take offense to either the kneeling of the player's, or offense at the player's who choose to stand, and could potentially just tune out the league like they did a couple years ago. The league also risks losing a good amount of fans by choosing to not do the Anthem at all.

    Aside from that, I can see a lot of internal tension amongst teammates that either stand or kneel as well, with players that kneel feeling disrespected by their other teammates who may choose not to kneel. They may feel like they don't have their back or aren't taking the issue seriously enough along with them.

    If stadiums are half full, or less due to COVID, and the league loses a noticeable amount of TV viewers over this Anthem issue as well, the league could be hurting sooner than later.

    Watching how Drew Brees' comments have blown up the league over the past few days, I think this is going to be a major issue moving forward.

    What's your take?
    Wheetie
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 10
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:07 pm
  • Wheetie wrote:Interested to hear other's take on this, but I think the NFL has a no win situation on their hands.

    There's no way a vast number of player's won't be kneeling for the Anthem's this year, and there's no way the NFL can mandate against it, nor can I see them even trying to do so. Other player's who choose to stand for the Anthem may now be at risk of being labelled racist for not kneeling, and so they'll either be chastised for standing, or feel obligated to kneel as well.

    That said, it's inevitable that a large percentage of fans will take offense to either the kneeling of the player's, or offense at the player's who choose to stand, and could potentially just tune out the league like they did a couple years ago. The league also risks losing a good amount of fans by choosing to not do the Anthem at all.

    Aside from that, I can see a lot of internal tension amongst teammates that either stand or kneel as well, with players that kneel feeling disrespected by their other teammates who may choose not to kneel. They may feel like they don't have their back or aren't taking the issue seriously enough along with them.

    If stadiums are half full, or less due to COVID, and the league loses a noticeable amount of TV viewers over this Anthem issue as well, the league could be hurting sooner than later.

    Watching how Drew Brees' comments have blown up the league over the past few days, I think this is going to be a major issue moving forward.

    What's your take?

    Easy solution. Play the national anthem before the players come out on to the field right before game time like they used to.
    Won’t happen though because it’s common sense.

    I don’t see how your racist if you choose to stand, and I don’t see it that you are disrespecting the flag or the country by kneeling. That’s my 2 cents worth.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 30955
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:37 pm
  • I don't think the players will be ok with being told to stay in the locker room during the Anthem and have their opportunity to make a statement taken away. It would be viewed as the NFL taking away their right to protest.
    Wheetie
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 10
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:02 pm
  • Wheetie wrote:I don't think the players will be ok with being told to stay in the locker room during the Anthem and have their opportunity to make a statement taken away. It would be viewed as the NFL taking away their right to protest.


    So, if they could only protest during the National Anthem, does this contradict the narrative that this "isn't about the anthem or the flag?"

    asking for a friend...
    jmahon316
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 628
    Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:59 pm


The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 pm
  • The players who want to stand will just lock arms with those who kneel.

    But it still won’t go over well with THIS guy, watching from home.

    Image
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1555
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:36 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm
  • Wheetie wrote:I don't think the players will be ok with being told to stay in the locker room during the Anthem and have their opportunity to make a statement taken away. It would be viewed as the NFL taking away their right to protest.

    They didn’t used to have a problem with it.
    Keep em in the locker room during the NA, there will be plenty of other times they can take a knee. End of quarters, end of game, before kickoff, TV timeouts, etc etc etc.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 30955
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:30 pm
  • Regardless this time round the NFL is going to do things different, Kaep's demonstration was misunderstood by so many this time it will be much better understood and the NFL will not be trying to make examples of the players like Kaep and Reid.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32885
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:42 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Regardless this time round the NFL is going to do things different, Kaep's demonstration was misunderstood by so many this time it will be much better understood and the NFL will not be trying to make examples of the players like Kaep and Reid.

    I'm not sure that's the case. I think the NFL will do what ever has the least impact on their bottom line. They don't care about social issues. They care about profit.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2600
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:08 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Regardless this time round the NFL is going to do things different, Kaep's demonstration was misunderstood by so many this time it will be much better understood and the NFL will not be trying to make examples of the players like Kaep and Reid.

    I'm not sure that's the case. I think the NFL will do what ever has the least impact on their bottom line. They don't care about social issues. They care about profit.


    This time round people will rebel against the league even if they are not fans, the season starts in a week or two really with camps, NFL taking an adverse position about the situation and then retaliatory against the players for demonstrating will not go over well.

    Their bottom line is important, their Stadiums not being burnt down is also.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32885
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:38 pm
  • The NFL will thrive, when it finally embraces the history of ALL Americans. If some owners don't like it, they can sell their shares. Plenty of decent, honest people will buy.

    Colin Kaepernick kneeling has been misguided from the beginning. I'm happy to see that the Commissioner has acknowledged that mistake. The NFL will only grow stronger, better, more successful when it reflects American values, meaning the values of ALL.




    America is for all, not just the privileged few.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm
    Location: NC


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:41 pm
  • Russell Wilson.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm
    Location: NC


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:53 am
  • Seems like the right solution from the NFL's point of view would be to not let the TV broadcast start until after the anthem is over.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 7496
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:16 pm
  • Easy don't pan the cameras on them during the song.
    Nobody can be offended..
    As for fans at the game you either accept their right
    or you can sell your tickets.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5520
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:33 pm
  • Yea ... they should just show more cowardice.
    Still don't get it.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm
    Location: NC


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:45 pm
  • Wheetie wrote:Interested to hear other's take on this, but I think the NFL has a no win situation on their hands.

    There's no way a vast number of player's won't be kneeling for the Anthem's this year, and there's no way the NFL can mandate against it, nor can I see them even trying to do so. Other player's who choose to stand for the Anthem may now be at risk of being labelled racist for not kneeling, and so they'll either be chastised for standing, or feel obligated to kneel as well.

    That said, it's inevitable that a large percentage of fans will take offense to either the kneeling of the player's, or offense at the player's who choose to stand, and could potentially just tune out the league like they did a couple years ago. The league also risks losing a good amount of fans by choosing to not do the Anthem at all.

    Aside from that, I can see a lot of internal tension amongst teammates that either stand or kneel as well, with players that kneel feeling disrespected by their other teammates who may choose not to kneel. They may feel like they don't have their back or aren't taking the issue seriously enough along with them.

    If stadiums are half full, or less due to COVID, and the league loses a noticeable amount of TV viewers over this Anthem issue as well, the league could be hurting sooner than later.

    Watching how Drew Brees' comments have blown up the league over the past few days, I think this is going to be a major issue moving forward.

    What's your take?


    There's an easy way out of this for this year.

    Just don't play the anthem this year and say it's because of virus precautions. It would actually make sense. Fans may not even be allowed to watch and the anthem, the cheerleaders, the snack vendors, etc. are all there for the fans in real time. None of that or very little is even broadcast on TV.

    Not playing the anthem in 2020 isn't even political due to virus precautions. It's an extra body plus crew on the field, one they have to start scheduling for now. There are few 4th of July parades and no county fairs because the scheduling did not permit it.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:01 pm
  • joeseahawks wrote:The NFL will thrive, when it finally embraces the history of ALL Americans...The NFL will only grow stronger, better, more successful when it reflects American values, meaning the values of ALL.



    Black history most certainly should be recognized. Black values should also be respected. But you keep saying ALL when I don't think that's what you mean.

    There are many Americans who think the National Anthem and the flag are not the right things to be protesting. To them, it means something different. To many it means the sacrificed lives of a brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter. To many it is the symbol of America's hope and what it strives to become. To many it's an acknowledgement of our nation's imperfections and the need to be better. To these people, it's not the venue to be protesting because it represents hope.

    Now I get it, for many others, it represents oppression and pain. It's hard for those who are underprivileged to see the same hope. And I respect that. I respect the right to kneel.

    But I think what you mean by ALL is really just SOME that you happen to agree with. You're entitled to that opinion and I support that. But it's wrong to use the description of ALL when the values towards the National Anthem and the flag vary wildly among Americans.
    anonFAFA
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 49
    Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:09 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:37 pm
  • Another reason why the NFL should just not play the anthem this year really FAFA.

    If there aren't fans and they play/pipe this in, forget the sports news, the mainstream news will be all over wherever this is to film who's kneeling. Which given the moment is going to be 80 percent. And if there are fans, then there's going to have to be more security to deal with the beer throwing on whoever in the stands is kneeling or sitting or standing.

    The NFL can't say black lives matter and then even have the appearance of coercing or even encouraging players to kneel. That didn't even work out for them before this. I question whether the anthem needs to be played before a game anyway being that it is inherently and especially political right now.

    Of course Trump rolls in to throw more fuel on the fire.

    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:39 pm
  • So many NFL players come from impoverished black neighborhoods, they represent a large portion of their employees. Why couldn't the NFL have a month devoted (or even a week? ) devoted to raising money to help create initiatives to help these neighborhoods. These could include police education, community initiatives, education opportunities, running ads to combat racism etc. If the NFL was doing something much like they do with play 60, the armed forces, and cancer and like they have done in the past with hurricane relief, maybe they could in turn ask that their employees not make broad protests during the national anthem
    94Smith
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 313
    Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:39 pm
  • 94Smith,

    Back when Nfl did the breast cancer one (I understand it has been expanded to all cancer now), it was difficult to get away from. It was time to go get the annual check for it. Whelp I ended up having a major operation for it but as a result I'm still here.

    So I'm with you. A focused BLM campaign, focused on how everyone can be antiracist, can only help. A lot of people don't know how to be anti-racist in a way that affects change.

    Raheem Mostert's parents are white. They adopted him as an adolescent from the foster system while they were raising two bio daughters, both younger. That's change. That's being antiracist.

    Stanford University requires everyone including on their football team to fulfill academic requirements. It's a big deal to Richard Sherman who has parlayed his education and his smarts into a career that will last beyond football because Stanford insisted on expectations. That's being antiracist.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm
  • "There are many Americans who think the National Anthem and the flag are not the right things to be protesting."
    You still don't get it !
    THEY ARE NOT PROTESTING THE FLAG OR THE ANTHEM !!!!!
    The time during the anthem was an opportunity to make the point. Some of the things the flag and anthem represent are not available to black Americans, like freedom and justice.

    BTW, what the "H" do you mean by "Black Values"?

    One more thing, do you not think that black men and women have not fought and died in America's wars? What'd they get for it? After WWI and WWII they returned to denigration, and worse lynchings.
    In my war Viet Nam, there were as many black guys as white guys. Who do you think was getting drafted while suburban white kids were getting student deferments or worse, getting a doctor to make some phony medical excuse.
    I'll bet as % of the population there are more blacks and latinos in the Army and Marines now, than whites.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1215
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:52 pm
  • I do get it.

    In this moment, it'll be up to the NFL and maybe each individual club to decide to play the anthem or not. If they do, it'll be on them to realize that the moment will be all over the 6 o clock and 11 o clock news with footage on what each individual player did. Cutting away for a commercial for Limu Emu or Progressive car insurance will just infuriate people, so they will have to show it.

    In this moment, just dispensing with the anthem shows respect. Not just for the disrespect that went before but for the moment we're now in. It shows respect for the fact that many Americans have been torn asunder and feel like there isn't a center that is holding anymore. I read a poll today, and it suggests 80 percent of people feel that way.

    Just don't play it this year. No one wants it. No one wants to be even more riled up. And God, if fans are allowed, can you imagine the fracas in the stands from people who've had a couple and get into it.

    The no-win situation is to play that song in the first place. Just don't play it for this year.

    Safer for Covid-19 anyway.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:31 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:I do get it.

    In this moment, it'll be up to the NFL and maybe each individual club to decide to play the anthem or not. If they do, it'll be on them to realize that the moment will be all over the 6 o clock and 11 o clock news with footage on what each individual player did. Cutting away for a commercial for Limu Emu or Progressive car insurance will just infuriate people, so they will have to show it.

    In this moment, just dispensing with the anthem shows respect. Not just for the disrespect that went before but for the moment we're now in. It shows respect for the fact that many Americans have been torn asunder and feel like there isn't a center that is holding anymore. I read a poll today, and it suggests 80 percent of people feel that way.

    Just don't play it this year. No one wants it. No one wants to be even more riled up. And God, if fans are allowed, can you imagine the fracas in the stands from people who've had a couple and get into it.

    The no-win situation is to play that song in the first place. Just don't play it for this year.

    Safer for Covid-19 anyway.


    NO ONE WANTS IT ? Did you already do a National Poll?

    Absolutely nobody thinks there should be a National anthem in the country.

    Not betting the players feel that way.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32885
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:28 am
  • From a completely non-political perspective, I have been saying for years that they should eliminate the national anthem from sporting events, period. Just get to the game. Only a handful of people actually pay attention to it at the stadiums and arenas and the people at home aren't getting off the couch to stand for it.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6539
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:25 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:I do get it.

    In this moment, it'll be up to the NFL and maybe each individual club to decide to play the anthem or not. If they do, it'll be on them to realize that the moment will be all over the 6 o clock and 11 o clock news with footage on what each individual player did. Cutting away for a commercial for Limu Emu or Progressive car insurance will just infuriate people, so they will have to show it.

    In this moment, just dispensing with the anthem shows respect. Not just for the disrespect that went before but for the moment we're now in. It shows respect for the fact that many Americans have been torn asunder and feel like there isn't a center that is holding anymore. I read a poll today, and it suggests 80 percent of people feel that way.

    Just don't play it this year. No one wants it. No one wants to be even more riled up. And God, if fans are allowed, can you imagine the fracas in the stands from people who've had a couple and get into it.

    The no-win situation is to play that song in the first place. Just don't play it for this year.

    Safer for Covid-19 anyway.


    NO ONE WANTS IT ? Did you already do a National Poll?

    Absolutely nobody thinks there should be a National anthem in the country.

    Not betting the players feel that way.


    OK, "no one wants it" was rhetorical. I'm sure someone would want it at the games somewhere.

    But all logistics point to it being a bad idea.

    The NFL has enough to deal with getting the NFLPA on board to even come back to facilities (which hasn't officially yet happened). It will have to have elaborate testing procedures, tiering procedures to keep players safe and keep them away from staff that they don't have to interact with. And the staff itself will have testing procedures to keep them safe from others in their tranch, so to speak.

    A flag guard is what, about 75 people to unfurl it and wave it and wrap it up again to walk off? Not only are those 75 people, but they will also have to have practice time to synchonize their routine. Then there's the scheduling of the Anthem performer, plus the sound crew that goes with them. And whatever testing they have to go through.That could easily be 100 people in total for something the NFL knows will be an inflammatory issue this year that they don't want to fall out of their narrative.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 am
  • TreeRon wrote:"There are many Americans who think the National Anthem and the flag are not the right things to be protesting."
    You still don't get it !
    THEY ARE NOT PROTESTING THE FLAG OR THE ANTHEM !!!!!
    The time during the anthem was an opportunity to make the point. Some of the things the flag and anthem represent are not available to black Americans, like freedom and justice.

    BTW, what the "H" do you mean by "Black Values"?

    One more thing, do you not think that black men and women have not fought and died in America's wars? What'd they get for it? After WWI and WWII they returned to denigration, and worse lynchings.
    In my war Viet Nam, there were as many black guys as white guys. Who do you think was getting drafted while suburban white kids were getting student deferments or worse, getting a doctor to make some phony medical excuse.
    I'll bet as % of the population there are more blacks and latinos in the Army and Marines now, than whites.


    No, I get it. The intent is to use the platform as a protest of the treatment of blacks in America. However, some people don't see it that way. They view it as the wrong venue and as a protest of the flag/anthem. I don't agree, but the sad reality is that perception is reality for most people and everyone is arguing past one another because they refuse to step in someone else's shoes. My understanding of this is not an endorsement of their opinion.

    As far as black values, someone above was arguing that the National Anthem should stand for all values. Black values are whatever cultural values typically held within their communities. Those values should be respected and Americans should stand for those values as much as any. I won't name specifics because every black community has their own set of values.

    I never said I thought black men and women didn't fight in wars so I don't understand why you are going on to this topic?
    anonFAFA
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 49
    Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:09 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:25 pm
  • Why not have a ethnically diverse group present a Flag and the Crowd sing the Anthem, of course you would have to have the words on the big screen.

    You want to be inclusive and speak as a Group, there you go !
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32885
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:48 am
  • They already do that minus the words on the Jumbotron. The flag guard is already diverse. The performers are already diverse.

    But like I said, no-win situation if you play it. It's just too inflammatory this year. Some people see the anthem as a referendum on Trump and black mistreatment and will sit. Some see it as a value tha vt represents American resiliency and the need to unite and will stand. People are already on a hair-trigger about the whole issue that has become insanely political.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:12 pm
  • How bout we sing God Bless America or America the Beautiful. Neither has a third verse that is controversial and neither was penned by a slaveholder who thought blacks an inferior race.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1215
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:54 pm
  • No one knows the third verse of the anthem. I mean, I looked it up when I was 11 or 12 but it definitely wasn't practiced then with schoolchildren, not even in the 1970s.

    But yeah, if they wanted an alternative there are many available.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:18 pm
  • As the country struggles to come to grip with reality, Richard Sherman just checked if the microphone-loving Jerry Jones would make a statement about the current tension one way or another. The overall silence of owners speaks volume. They are the real cowards. Billionaires are cowards !!!
    I guess the cat just ate Jones' tongue !!! I'm sure this "powerful, wealthy, successful" owner is afraid to disagree with the president he supported , while he called players "Sons Of b!@ch", ... etc. It all seemed so cool in 2016 ...
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm
    Location: NC


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:56 pm
  • joeseahawks wrote:As the country struggles to come to grip with reality, Richard Sherman just checked if the microphone-loving Jerry Jones would make a statement about the current tension one way or another. The overall silence of owners speaks volume. They are the real cowards. Billionaires are cowards !!!
    I guess the cat just ate Jones' tongue !!! I'm sure this "powerful, wealthy, successful" owner is afraid to disagree with the president he supported , while he called players "Sons Of b!@ch", ... etc. It all seemed so cool in 2016 ...


    His tongue is in a Glory Hole.

    Image
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32885
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:13 pm
  • According to PFT, Goodell consulted with "power owners" before releasing his tape supporting BLM. That had to include Jerrah.

    He'd be a maroon if he even tried to get anyone to stand this year. Even more people would sit.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:32 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:According to PFT, Goodell consulted with "power owners" before releasing his tape supporting BLM. That had to include Jerrah.

    He'd be a maroon if he even tried to get anyone to stand this year. Even more people would sit.

    He is a maroon, trust me. Most *allas fans would agree with that too.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 30955
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:32 am
  • TreeRon wrote:How bout we sing God Bless America or America the Beautiful. Neither has a third verse that is controversial and neither was penned by a slaveholder who thought blacks an inferior race.


    I don't think changing the song will make one bit of difference one way or another.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6539
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:18 am
  • Mixing up the musical selection could alleviate some of the tension maybe. I like "This land is your land, this land is my land."

    Here's what Florio thinks each owner should say to their team:

    Here’s what the owners should say: “Our players have the absolute right to stand, to kneel, to sit, or to otherwise do whatever they choose to do during the anthem. We encourage them to make a conscious decision as to what they will do during the anthem, and we fully support whatever decision each player makes. There will be no pressure placed upon them to do anything other than what they decide is the right thing to do, and no decisions regarding their position on the roster, their status in the lineup, or their playing time will be made based on this issue.”

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... o-protest/
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Mixing up the musical selection could alleviate some of the tension maybe. I like "This land is your land, this land is my land."


    I don't understand this line of thinking. Say nothing changes in regards to systematic racism and police brutality that Kaepernick was originally kneeling for before the start of the season. You think changing the song that is played at the beginning of a football game will make even one person feel better about things and stand up?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6539
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:15 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Mixing up the musical selection could alleviate some of the tension maybe. I like "This land is your land, this land is my land."


    I don't understand this line of thinking. Say nothing changes in regards to systematic racism and police brutality that Kaepernick was originally kneeling for before the start of the season. You think changing the song that is played at the beginning of a football game will make even one person feel better about things and stand up?


    It's partly whimsical: I don't think any song should be played this year, not just over politics but over the ongoing issue of Covid. We're not even sure if fans will attend so why drag out 100 nonessential people to wave around a giant flag let alone bring in contracted singers to sing whatever song?

    But if a song is to be played and the point is "unity" then just mix it up.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 pm
  • And these power owners (Kraft, Jones to name a few) have no courage to even show their face to speak on an issue that have made them trillionaires. And don't let them fool you that they were already billionaires before owning NFL franchises or that they built that fortune by themselves.
    As far as I'm concerned, these owners are the real thugs.

    SantaClaraHawk wrote:According to PFT, Goodell consulted with "power owners" before releasing his tape supporting BLM. That had to include Jerrah.

    He'd be a maroon if he even tried to get anyone to stand this year. Even more people would sit.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm
    Location: NC


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:31 am
  • Like Drew said: It's not about the flag or the song.

    Saying it's about the flag or the song is a shallow way to avoid the real issue. There's no reasonable circumstance where an American patriot can be more offended at the (perceived) disrespect of a symbol than the subjugation of millions of fellow citizens. Anyone that professes such is consciously trying to divert the conversation. It's about people, not fabric.

    Those truly offended by the action of kneeling could donate to their favorite Black activist organization, volunteer at the same, lobby their elected officials... make an honest effort to be part of progress and equality. At that point, it'll stop. Until then, you're in a burning building complaining about getting wet from the firehose.
    chrispy
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 336
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:50 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 pm
  • It is weird when people say it is NOT about the flag and the song when they ONLY kneel during the flag and the song while everyone else stands and takes off their hats. If it is NOT about disrespecting the country then do it after or before the national anthem.

    The NFL is in a tough spot. Lots of fans (me) think it is $h!t to allow your EMPLOYEES to disrespect our country. Many players want to speak out. Some fans will tune out the NFL because of it. Most won't.

    The problem is a political group (BLM) has co-opted an issue everyone could easily agree with and made it political. George Floyd was murdered and police have gotten away with far too much crap for far too long because of their unions. I haven't had anyone I know disagree with this.

    Okay, then the next step is was this racially motivated? IF Chauvin (or the other 3 non-white officers) had ANY history of racist comments or behavior we would have all heard about it so not that I have seen. I won't go into a long discussion of BLM's published beliefs but it is not simply an anti-racist movement.

    Anyway. piss off many of your players or many of your fans is what it comes down to. Goodell has chosen to piss of the fans. We will see how that turns out. I imagine any short term behavior by fans not tuning in will be sloughed off to the coronavirus.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 407
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:03 pm
  • Another lie. I'm a fan. Goodell has not pissed me off. Goodell has embraced America and what it stands for. Some people are pissed, because they believe America ONLY exists through their lens.
    Those who refuse to watch the "new" NFL can watch something else. There are plenty of options on TV.
    Anyway. piss off many of your players or many of your fans is what it comes down to. Goodell has chosen to piss of the fans. We will see how that turns out. I imagine any short term behavior by fans not tuning in will be sloughed off to the coronavirus.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 2248
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm
    Location: NC


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 am
  • I say scrap the song..Instead let's just have a two
    minute silent period for everything that matters.
    Like lives lost to virus and so on ect.
    Anyone can use it for what they want in their mind.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5520
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:39 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:I say scrap the song..Instead let's just have a two
    minute silent period for everything that matters.
    Like lives lost to virus and so on ect.
    Anyone can use it for what they want in their mind.


    This is the best idea I've heard yet. Everyone has something, or someone, to mourn recently in these trying times. And it's also a moment of reflection for the moments of joy that I hope each of us, and everyone, has experenced.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:28 am
  • First amendment rights to "free speech"? Ha. In sports broadcasts, pretty much you have to pay to get airtime.
    No prob, just pay for the time like any advertiser who pays to attach their message to the NFL product.
    "This national anthem demonstration brought to you by " (insert paid political sponsor here, BLM, Biden Campaign, Trump Campaign, NRA, G. Soros Open Society Foundation, etc.)

    Maybe in the next CBA, players will negotiate a set-aside time for political messages. But then do higher paid players have more say over the content of the messages?

    It's proven divisive to have the national anthem hijacked to attach other messages to it, and it's somewhat un-American to have that airtime taken without compensation. I'd be happy to have stadiums do the anthem when players are in the locker room and/or cut the anthem out of the broadcast.

    Russell Wilson has been leading a Christian athletes demonstration/protest for years, from what I've observed. He typically does this right after the game. Sometimes the media shows this, sometimes they don't. Pretty much everyone who participates in that takes a knee. Oh, wait, it's closer to "giving thanks" than to a protest. Well, it's a religious/political message nonetheless. I'm good with that being "free" after the conclusion of the game.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3401
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: The NFL is in a No Win Situation
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:46 am
  • The thing with the Anthem is that it hasn't routinely been shown on TV except at those international games. TV will cut away for a message from Limu Emu or something. Except this year, the news will be exceptionally interested in who is standing and who is sitting. Maybe more than the actual play.

    The thing with the Corona is that there's STILL no consensus on how to handle positive results on the field, or who gets quarantined, or how it's disclosed. Whether fans will even be allowed is an open question. They have bigger problems IOW than bringing in 100 more people to wave a giant flag and have some celebrity sing a song. Just do the two minutes of silence.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6123
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am




It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online