Offensive Head Coaches are Dominating the NFL

Fade

Reaction score
The last defensive coach to win the Super Bowl was Belichick. And he hasn't even won a playoff game in what feels like forever. Offensive Head Coaches are dominating the league.

Look at the results. Division leaders are all Offensive guys.

NFC West: Offensive HC
NFC North: Offensive HC
NFC South: Offensive HC
NFC East: Offensive HC

Projected WCs Based on Schedule:
DAL: Offensive HC
GB: Offensive HC
Minn: Offensive HC

AFC West: Offensive HC
AFC North: Special Teams HC? (Harbaugh, basically offensive, his brother played QB in the NFL.)
AFC South: Offensive HC
AFC East: Offensive HC

CLE: Offensive HC (Led by their defense, but the HC calls the plays and is an offensive guy.)
DEN: Offensive HC
BUF: Defensive HC (Might still miss the playoffs, but he has Josh Allen. Franchise QB, barely make the playoffs? Sounds eerily familiar...)

No defensive HC is leading their division currently. Not a single one.

-------------------

Your 13 Defensive Head Coaches Currently in the NFL:

NFC
===
Pete, team is getting worse. Needs to retire.
AZ, the roster is a joke (so tough to evaluate him).
CHI, LOL.
WAS, pathetic.
NO, looking to fire him.
TB, will also probably get fired. Needs to make the playoffs.

AFC
===
LAC, really bad.
PIT, meh, pretenders.
TENN, last place in the division.
HOU, early jolt from hitting on a franchise QB. (They will underachieve in the long run.)
NE, one of the worst rosters in the league, courtesy of the defensive HC.
NYJ, great defense, horribad offense.
BUF, Sean McDermitt is/has been massively underachieving.

Going with a defensive HC in the modern NFL appears to be… suicide.

A Head Coach that can develop a QB, is the most valuable commodity in the league. Outside of a Franchise QB himself.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
The last defensive coach to win the Super Bowl was Belichick. And he hasn't even won a playoff game in what feels like forever. Offensive Head Coaches are dominating the league.

AFC North: Special Teams HC? (Harbaugh, basically offensive, his brother played QB in the NFL.)

CLE: Offensive HC (Led by their defense, but the HC calls the plays and is an offensive guy.)
BUF: Defensive HC (Might still miss the playoffs, but he has Josh Allen. Franchise QB, barely make the playoffs? Sounds eerily familiar...)

-------------------

NFC
===
CHI, LOL.
WAS, pathetic.
NO, looking to fire him.

AFC
===
LAC, really bad.
PIT, meh, pretenders.
HOU, early jolt from hitting on a franchise QB. (They will underachieve in the long run.)

A Head Coach that can develop a QB, is the most valuable commodity in the league. Outside of a Franchise QB himself.
Excellent post, well researched.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Good post, really puts things into perspective. I wasn't entirely sure about replacing Pete with an Offensive-minded HC but this is pretty eye-opening.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The game has definitely evolved. With the way today's NFL values offense, teams feel the pressure to find a good offensive mind & make them HC so that they don't get lost to a promotion elsewhere.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yeah with how much the refs calling illegal contact and PI, while ignoring offensive holding, this is the way.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
The game has definitely evolved. With the way today's NFL values offense, teams feel the pressure to find a good offensive mind & make them HC so that they don't get lost to a promotion elsewhere.
Evolved or been steered in a direction to appease the consumer. The fact that corners can’t even breathe on a receiver just kills it for me. What’s the point of having a secondary if they can’t play football?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more views.

This is an incredibly pivotal time for the Seahawks, as they look for their next coach in the not too distant future, and the QBotF they desperately need.

No other NFL fanbases have chimed in either. Interesting. Maybe I should have made it a Seahawks post.

The thing that is really sticking out to me. Is universally, defensive coaches underachieve. As they gimp themselves on offense with inferior coaching (As the best offensive minds are HCs mostly), and their O-Lines and QBs usually struggle, or fail to develop with very few exceptions.

If HOU lets their OC get hired away, and they keep DeMeco--they are nuts. Keep your OC, and move on from the HC.

Last edited:

bigskydoc

Reaction score

This is an incredibly pivotal time for the Seahawks, as they look for their next coach in the not too distant future, and the QBotF they desperately need.

No other NFL fanbases have chimed in either. Interesting. Maybe I should have made it a Seahawks post.

The thing that is really sticking out to me. Is universally, defensive coaches underachieve. As they gimp themselves on offense with inferior coaching (As the best offensive minds are HCs mostly), and their O-Lines and QBs usually struggle, or fail to develop with very few exceptions.

If HOU lets their OC get hired away, and they keep DeMeco--they are nuts. Keep your OC, and move on from the HC.
You are used to your posts getting more views because you usually post controversial ideas. This is hardly controversial, and it's frustrating for folks who have a old-school defensive mind for their team's head coach, so people probably aren't clicking on it as much. (I mean that as a complement)

morgulon1

Reaction score

Didn't Houston just hire their coach this year? If so, it sounds like a short leash.

Marvin49

Reaction score
It might be because I'm heavily influenced by Bill Walsh, but I've ALWAYS preferred offensive HCs. It allows you to keep the same offensive system in place for years and years. Drafting a young QB and then switching OCs over and over (See Smith, Alex) is a surefire way to ruin a career.

Offense is hugely about scheme. Defense has scheme of course, but its far more about athletes and reaction. You can switch out DCs and run similar systems and not be impacted nearly as bad as having a top notch OC who leaves to be a HC elsewhere.

That's always been how I thought about it and why I was so on board with the Shanahan hire from the start.

Just...and I say this really wishing you guys would for obvious reasons....don't ever hire Josh McDaniels. Ever.

jeremiah

Reaction score

-------------------

NFC
===
CHI, LOL.
WAS, pathetic.
NO, looking to fire him.

AFC
===
LAC, really bad.
PIT, meh, pretenders.

It is time to get a HC that will run the West Coach offense, how about Jon Gruden? He is about to get enough money from the NFL in a lawsuit to buy a part of any team, but he has the drive, the skill and the experience.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Didn't Houston just hire their coach this year? If so, it sounds like a short leash.
Yeah, Houston is in a tough spot.

It would be a bad look.

ATL regrets every day letting Kyle walk out the door, and keeping Quinn.

There may be less than 5 defensive HCs in the league in the not too distant future. And DeMeco will be one of them, still in HOU.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
It might be because I'm heavily influenced by Bill Walsh, but I've ALWAYS preferred offensive HCs. It allows you to keep the same offensive system in place for years and years. Drafting a young QB and then switching OCs over and over (See Smith, Alex) is a surefire way to ruin a career.

Offense is hugely about scheme. Defense has scheme of course, but its far more about athletes and reaction. You can switch out DCs and run similar systems and not be impacted nearly as bad as having a top notch OC who leaves to be a HC elsewhere.

That's always been how I thought about it and why I was so on board with the Shanahan hire from the start.

Just...and I say this really wishing you guys would for obvious reasons....don't ever hire Josh McDaniels. Ever.
The Seahawks had that with Holmy. I miss it.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This is a copycat league. Until a DC comes around with a dominant defense this will be the way things go.

With trends in rules etc.. maybe this is the new normal .

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
the niners with win the owl this year and it will be because of their killer defense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
the niners with win the owl this year and it will be because of their killer defense.
They're pretty much a complete team. Their offense is currently #3 in PPG, just behind Dallas and Miami.

cymatica

Reaction score
They're pretty much a complete team. Their offense is currently #3 in PPG, just behind Dallas and Miami.
Agree. Their 3 losses came during injuries to key offensive players