Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tre Lance is trash

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Tre Lance is trash
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 am
  • He is the 4th best QB in our division even if he improves.

Just gotta give one happy post for all my boys and maybe a few girls lol.

The whole broadcast was basically saying "he is a dumb caveman who throws super hard for no reason"...

He's like Kaepernick except less athletic and less talented. I'm not scared.
    Tokadub
    NET Veteran

Re: Tre Lance is trash
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:51 am
  • I'm all for feeling good about a win, but given it was his first real action, I thought he played well. I didn't put much into the comments about his throwing too hard. There was another qb that faired pretty well over his career who had the same issue. Brett Favre.

I thought Lance played well. The guy is certainly elusive, he's got a Canon, showed he can read a defense, and he didn't cave under the pressure of having to come out, to a home crowd, needing to bring his team back.

Certainly doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies thinking about what his ceiling might be in the coming years.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:54 am
  • He's not Goff, so, he's an improvement to the division by default. I thought he played well, though.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:51 am
  • You watched a different game then I did. I saw a future superstar with ridiculous talent. He looks like the second coming of Patrick Mahomes. He's a bit taller and faster and he has gun for sure. It will take sometime but San Fran has found the answer which is kind of a shame.
    gabel
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:57 am
  • Nah, he's just saying Lance is trash because he has to justify why the Hawks won. If the Hawks win on Thursday, we will see the post saying that the Rams lost because x player was hurt etc.

Lance looks like he might have a real shot at being good.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:58 am
  • gabel wrote:You watched a different game then I did. I saw a future superstar with ridiculous talent. He looks like the second coming of Patrick Mahomes. He's a bit taller and faster and he has gun for sure. It will take sometime but San Fran has found the answer which is kind of a shame.

If "the answer" is throwing the ball on open screens at the receivers feet from point blank range.....then I agree.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:26 am
  • I saw a guy with a lot of physical tools. However, it takes more than that to be successful. I think there is potential there, but it looked like something that will need to be developed over a period of time. For the Hawks' sake, hopefully it's a LONG period of time. Nothing to be worried about in the short term.
    DangerousDoug
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:41 am
  • I see aspects of Young Elway, Randall Cunningham and Farve, it's about how coachable he is, and is his head on straight. All three of those had cannons as an arm and had to learn to develop some finesse passes. Cunningham had hell of a time getting used to the pocket and it took a injury to make him adjust, Elway needed a Coach to take the control from him and some injuries to get him focused along with some guy named Davis in the running game.

Those are guys that made it and were successes, Kaep had success but had issues developing further, Tebow, we know about, James Harris is another guy few remember but had to adapt and adjust, was a different era but he was really talented, Doug Williams another where he had to re define himself and change his mentality from when he was a QB in Tampa to Washington.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:51 am
  • I wasn't very impressed. He looked very confused and indecisive. If his first read wasn't there, his instinct was to break the pocket and run. Awfully inaccurate. His only sustained success was in garbage time when we were protecting a two TD lead.

As others have mentioned, it was his first real action as a pro and it's pretty rare when a rookie QB takes over for the first time and doesn't have problems (see Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields), but he has a lot of work ahead of him.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:02 am
  • RiverDog wrote:I wasn't very impressed. He looked very confused and indecisive. If his first read wasn't there, his instinct was to break the pocket and run. Awfully inaccurate. His only sustained success was in garbage time when we were protecting a two TD lead.

As others have mentioned, it was his first real action as a pro and it's pretty rare when a rookie QB takes over for the first time and doesn't have problems (see Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields), but he has a lot of work ahead of him.

Ditto. One garbage td and a lot of confusion. Looked like a rookie with a lot to overcome.
    hangumhi
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:09 am
  • He looks like an unpolished Cam Newton.

But I saw enough to see that if he develops within Shanahan's offense, he could be a problem in a few years.

He had what, like 17-18 games started in college? So he's really raw. So it's gonna take some time, but there's enough to like if you're a Niner fan.....and definitely enough to be worried about as a Hawk's fan.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:15 am
  • Agreed for what they paid for him. He's a gadget guy at best and balled out 3 years ago against a bunch of slow whites dudes playing slow pitch now at North Dakota A & I. I mean he's got a haircut like Mahomes but that's where the similarities end.
    ArlosSpecial
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:58 am
  • DangerousDoug wrote:I saw a guy with a lot of physical tools. However, it takes more than that to be successful. I think there is potential there, but it looked like something that will need to be developed over a period of time. For the Hawks' sake, hopefully it's a LONG period of time. Nothing to be worried about in the short term.

He has a high ceiling, but I agree, it's going to be a while before he gets there. Luckily for him, he has the coaching and the weapons to potentially do so.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:03 pm
  • He's the next Lamar Jackson and will be a superstar in this league.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:15 pm
  • Mac Jones looks like the next..... Brady
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:30 pm
  • I feel like I am in a twilight zone reading all of these comments supporting Lance

The 3 second wind up on his throws? He literally drops his hand behind his back and brings it all the way over top like a junior high QB. How has that not been coached out of him yet? Allowed our DT's to get a hand on and disrupt a few.

Accuracy was horrendous. Just awful on anything other than an uncontested drop off.

Physically gifted of course. I saw nothing, absolutely NOTHING that concerns me as an opposing fan worrying about him developing as a QB though at this point
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:48 pm
  • Tre Lance is extremely raw, he demonstrated why Jimmy Garoppolo was starting in San Fran.

His raw talents are off the charts. His speed, agility and arm strength are something to behold. Athletically he is one of the most impressive QB's that I have seen in awhile.

Unfortunately that is really all Tre Lance has going for him right now. His mechanics look extremely jankey. He has a strange windup and he doesn't always follow through with his throws. This, of course makes his throws very unpredictable. His situational awareness is also not there. Tre Lance often times did not know where he needed to be to get a first down. A few times I saw him dive before the first down marker.

All and all, he's a raw clump of clay. Tre Lance is just an athlete now that doesn't have any of the nuances of playing QB down.

That being said, I think that Shannahan could find success with him this season by running a simplified offense. Keep things simple and rely on his mobility to do the work. I could see San Fran copying Baltimore and finding success with what they did with Lamar Jackson.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:51 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Tre Lance is extremely raw, he demonstrated why Jimmy Garoppolo was starting in San Fran.

His raw talents are off the charts. His speed, agility and arm strength are something to behold. Athletically he is one of the most impressive QB's that I have seen in awhile.

Unfortunately that is really all Tre Lance has going for him right now. His mechanics look extremely jankey. He has a strange windup and he doesn't always follow through with his throws. This, of course makes his throws very unpredictable. His situational awareness is also not there. Tre Lance often times did not know where he needed to be to get a first down. A few times I saw him dive before the first down marker.

All and all, he's a raw clump of clay. Tre Lance is just an athlete now that doesn't have any of the nuances of playing QB down.

That being said, I think that Shannahan could find success with him this season by running a simplified offense. Keep things simple and rely on his mobility to do the work. I could see San Fran copying Baltimore and finding success with what they did with Lamar Jackson.

There was a huge drop off in QB play when Jimmy G went out. Jimmy was low-key killing the Hawks over the middle with those rhythm throws. But yes, the kid has physical ability, but he has a lot of refining and learning to do.
    A_Biased_Fan
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:07 pm
  • Tokadub wrote:He is the 4th best QB in our division even if he improves.

Just gotta give one happy post for all my boys and maybe a few girls lol.

The whole broadcast was basically saying "he is a dumb caveman who throws super hard for no reason"...

He's like Kaepernick except less athletic and less talented. I'm not scared.

He is not trash...Trash is turning the ball over fumbling and throwing INT's this guy looked good for his first game made some nice drives ran the ball effectively and didn't turn the ball over . what do you want for the experience he has?

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:09 pm
  • Just wondering why a thread about a rookie QB on another team is in the Main Forum, Mods are on top of it I would think since they react swiftly to all things on .NET.............
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:11 pm
  • With the skill set he has there is a good chance he can develop into a quality stater. The one thing that could derail his progress is his reckless running. Head first dives and open field moves definitely pump up teammates but like Wentz will lead to injury. Several times yesterday he narrowly escaped head shots on his dives, if he doesn’t reel in that recklessness it will ruin him. He may have a cannon arm but I saw some wounded ducks come off his hand.
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:41 pm
  • Flyingsquad23 wrote:With the skill set he has there is a good chance he can develop into a quality stater. The one thing that could derail his progress is his reckless running. Head first dives and open field moves definitely pump up teammates but like Wentz will lead to injury. Several times yesterday he narrowly escaped head shots on his dives, if he doesn’t reel in that recklessness it will ruin him. He may have a cannon arm but I saw some wounded ducks come off his hand.

I noticed that as well, but one thing is for sure he will find out soon enough! LOL.. Thats one reason wilson has been so healthy he seems to really be aware of his surroundings...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:20 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    Flyingsquad23 wrote:With the skill set he has there is a good chance he can develop into a quality stater. The one thing that could derail his progress is his reckless running. Head first dives and open field moves definitely pump up teammates but like Wentz will lead to injury. Several times yesterday he narrowly escaped head shots on his dives, if he doesn’t reel in that recklessness it will ruin him. He may have a cannon arm but I saw some wounded ducks come off his hand.

I noticed that as well, but one thing is for sure he will find out soon enough! LOL.. Thats one reason wilson has been so healthy he seems to really be aware of his surroundings...

LTH

Very hard thing to teach, just ask Michael Vick, Cam Newton and RG3.

Russell does it well, Lamar Jackson does it well, and Kyler Murray does it well.

Hard to decide on Lance with barely three quarters of play. I see a raw extremely athletic QB with a bigtime arm, but the rawness might take years to develop.

Which is just fine with me, I'd rather play a young inexperienced QB over a mediocre veteran who can make 4-5 quality throws per game any day, i.e. Cousins and Tannehill this year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:30 pm
  • Gotta say....nice to see alot of reasoned, fair responses to this.

I love the kid but I'm a Niner fan.

To me, he's what was advertised.

Insane physical talent, raw as hell. He's gonna be wildly inconsistent. There is a reason they kept Jimmy. They knew how much work he'd need.

Now he HAS to play. We'll see how the rook responds.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:37 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    Flyingsquad23 wrote:With the skill set he has there is a good chance he can develop into a quality stater. The one thing that could derail his progress is his reckless running. Head first dives and open field moves definitely pump up teammates but like Wentz will lead to injury. Several times yesterday he narrowly escaped head shots on his dives, if he doesn’t reel in that recklessness it will ruin him. He may have a cannon arm but I saw some wounded ducks come off his hand.

LTH

Very hard thing to teach, just ask Michael Vick, Cam Newton and RG3.

Russell does it well, Lamar Jackson does it well, and Kyler Murray does it well.

Hard to decide on Lance with barely three quarters of play. I see a raw extremely athletic QB with a bigtime arm, but the rawness might take years to develop.

Which is just fine with me, I'd rather play a young inexperienced QB over a mediocre veteran who can make 4-5 quality throws per game any day, i.e. Cousins and Tannehill this year.

He did take a few unnecessary hits, but he does get down. I've seen that several times. Even in this game he was diving for the ground on 3rd down before the marker. I saw it in preseason as well. he usually doesn't get hit standing up and he usually isn't fighting for extra yards.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:24 pm
  • But he is pretty bad.. for a third pick? COme on now.

Dude should have torched and missed wide open plays. There were at least 3 holds not called on his long runs.. and the only reason he "did well"

A blown coverage by player starting his first game in the system... it's not like he made an incredible read.

Hey.. I though we would lose.. but trying to say Lance is some kind of even good QB in his first real action is a super long stretch.

If JG played the whole game, we probably lose.
    balakoth
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:45 pm
  • Given the context, he was only suppose to be a change of pace guy, nobody thinks he is ready to take control, but here he is. Most see the potential, given some seasoning and hope that being thrown in the fire doesn't cause issues down the road.

Most the opinions were about potential, not if he was going to come in and be Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:36 am
  • Death, Taxes and excuses for why the Hawks win a game. :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:23 pm
  • balakoth wrote:But he is pretty bad.. for a third pick? COme on now.

Dude should have torched and missed wide open plays. There were at least 3 holds not called on his long runs.. and the only reason he "did well"

A blown coverage by player starting his first game in the system... it's not like he made an incredible read.

Hey.. I though we would lose.. but trying to say Lance is some kind of even good QB in his first real action is a super long stretch.

If JG played the whole game, we probably lose.

I watched the game replays. I think Trey did just ok. He has not played a game in over a season or more. This is Kyles fault for not getting him ready. I think he can be really good in the future. I am not saying great so don’t get it twisted. I think he was taken to high and needs to much grooming. But with that said, I disagree with SF winning the game if Jimmy was in. Trey got out of situations that Jimmy would have been sacked or thrown more interceptions. Trey did some good and some bad. Yes a better QB would have torched the hawks. Trey needs more work. I don’t think Jimmy should start and give Trey the season to learn if Jimmy is remotely injured.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:37 pm
  • Before Sunday the last competitive football game Lance played in was on January 11th, 2020. He has not played in a game in over 600 days. Since his senior year in high school, he has only played 16 games at the FCS level. This dude is basically a high school QB getting thrown into the NFL deep end.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:19 pm
  • Trey played like a rookie thrust into a game at halftime when the starter got hurt.

Gameplan wasn't made for him, he didn't get a ton of reps as the backup, and he's a freakin' rookie trying to learn a complex offense.

Why does it have to be any more than that?

I didn't learn anything in that game I didn't already know other than that he is more nimble in the pocket than I thought he'd be. He moved more like Watson than Cam which was my expectation. He'll make some eye popping plays and he'll make some WTF plays. He's erratic...just as you'd expect.

He's green. That isn't new information. There is a reason they kept Jimmy.

He's basically got this year to learn. He'll do that on the field, on the bench, or some combination of the two. Once the season ends he can spend the entire offseason working on mechanics, watching film, etc.

The whole plan was to get him ready for next year. That's why Jimmy is on the roster.

What makes me think he's gonna be special is that he doesn't appear to be affected by anything. All reports have been that he's very smart and that he's very coachable.

If you have a guy with his tools, smarts, and a desire to put in the work to be good, its hard to think he won't make it.

It happens of course, but I'd put my money on him making it. People make alot of his 300+ career attempts, but they also came as a redshirt freshman. The guy JUST turned 21. He was 19 the last time he played extensively. Just think about that for a sec.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:18 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:He looks like an unpolished Cam Newton.

But I saw enough to see that if he develops within Shanahan's offense, he could be a problem in a few years.

He had what, like 17-18 games started in college? So he's really raw. So it's gonna take some time, but there's enough to like if you're a Niner fan.....and definitely enough to be worried about as a Hawk's fan.

Well, Cam had only one good season. He had better hope that he's no Cam Newton.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:13 pm
  • Steve McNair had a good career and they didn't think he could make it as a NFL QB, Cunningham was erratic and a gimmick guy that could run initially that could throw the ball.

This kid is more McNair then Cunningham but given a fair chance and the coaching he could be in that ball park, or he could be Doug Williams a guy that eventually found success later on once people gave him a chance to learn how to play. He was expected to save Tampa Bay and was a very raw guy also.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:11 pm
  • Sucks for the 49ers they didn't consult some random contrarian fan of a rival NFL team before they moved up to draft Lance.
    Somos doces
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:21 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    This kid is more McNair then Cunningham

McNair and Cunningham had over 50 starts at the college football level. They are nothing like Lance.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:33 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    This kid is more McNair then Cunningham

McNair and Cunningham had over 50 starts at the college football level. They are nothing like Lance.

Proves the point the kid has tools with less experience then doesn't it, McNair and Cunningham had flashes but struggled also going into the league.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 pm
  • You also have to take small hands into consideration. He's got the same size as Jarred Goff at 9 1/8.....Russ Wilson in contrast has large mitts at 10.25
    Combine Lance's tiny hands with inexperience and it's a recipe for uncatchable bullets that are wobbly as all get out.
    You have to be able to exhibit touch and accuracy under duress and on the run in this league. Small hands are no bueno at the quarterback position
    ArlosSpecial
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm
  • ArlosSpecial wrote:You also have to take small hands into consideration. He's got the same size as Jarred Goff at 9 1/8.....Russ Wilson in contrast has large mitts at 10.25
    Combine Lance's tiny hands with inexperience and it's a recipe for uncatchable bullets that are wobbly as all get out.
    You have to be able to exhibit touch and accuracy under duress and on the run in this league. Small hands are no bueno at the quarterback position

Krieg had small hands but had arguably a hall of fame career if he would have been in a marquee City, he was just behind Marino in most categories I know many will laugh reading that, but look up the statistics and where he ranked over all in categories.

Billy Kilmer was Mr. Butt ugly pass when he threw the ball, but always got it there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:43 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    ArlosSpecial wrote:You also have to take small hands into consideration. He's got the same size as Jarred Goff at 9 1/8.....Russ Wilson in contrast has large mitts at 10.25

Krieg had small hands but had arguably a hall of fame career if he would have been in a marquee City, he was just behind Marino in most categories I know many will laugh reading that, but look up the statistics and where he ranked over all in categories.

Billy Kilmer was Mr. Butt ugly pass when he threw the ball, but always got it there.

I grew up watching Krieg ball out. I say ball out he was as good as any quarterback in the league at that time(when he was hot) during the ground chuck days. He was also woefully bad at times. Largent and Skansi saved his ass at times. Curt Warner before he blew his knee out was also badass but regarding Dave Krieg yeah he was maybe too wildly inconsistent for HOF consideration but threw for many many yards.
    ArlosSpecial
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:46 pm
  • Between Dan McGuire, Kelly Stouffer, John Friesz, Stan Gelbaugh and Rick Mirer I certainly feel the 49ers plight.
    ArlosSpecial
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:24 pm
  • ArlosSpecial wrote:You also have to take small hands into consideration. He's got the same size as Jarred Goff at 9 1/8.....Russ Wilson in contrast has large mitts at 10.25

Sigh.

Hand Sizes:
    Pat Mahomes: 9 1/4 inches
    Aaron Rodgers: 9 3/8 inches
    Dan Marino: 9 1/8-inches
    Joe Burrow: 9 inches
    Kyler Murray: 9 inches
    Derek Carr: 9 1/8 inches
    Michael Vick: 8 1/2 inches

I swear to god you just make stuff up half the time. His hand size isn't an issue.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    ArlosSpecial wrote:You also have to take small hands into consideration. He's got the same size as Jarred Goff at 9 1/8.....Russ Wilson in contrast has large mitts at 10.25

Sigh.

Hand Sizes:

I swear to god you just make stuff up half the time. His hand size isn't an issue.

I'm not making anything up. His hand size is 9 1/8" like I stated. Will it continue to plague his accuracy who knows.....I don't have a crystal ball in front of me I can only go on what we've seen so far.
    ArlosSpecial
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:43 pm
  • ArlosSpecial wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Sigh.

Hand Sizes:

I'm not making anything up. His hand size is 9 1/8" like I stated. Will it continue to plague his accuracy who knows.....I don't have a crystal ball in front of me I can only go on what we've seen so far.

I think you missed the point of my post. There is no correlation between hand size and the ability to throw a spiral. None.

Marino never had trouble. Vick was alot of things, but never had an issue with a spiral. Once again, making stuff up.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:21 am
  • 49ers new theme song when Lance is starting at QB. :shock:

I can't wait for the lowlight reel. :D
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:39 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:

Joe Kapp threw a lot of wounded ducks, too.

As much as I liked Dave Krieg as a competitor and overall personality, there is no way he's HOF material. Yes, he accumulated a whole lot of passing yardage...like Vinny Testaverde...but he turned the ball over way too many times. I can remember him fumbling once when there was no one within 5 yards of him. He was the most frustrating player for me to watch as a Seahawk fan, and I go all the way back to 1976.

As far as the size of hands go, I agree that it has little, if anything, to do with throwing a spiral. It's not unlike throwing a curve as a baseball pitcher where you're required to induce a rotation. Once your hands grow to a certain point, additional size isn't going to result in more spin.

Where I do think that hand size makes a difference is in overall ball security. Krieg led the world in fumbles, and a lot of people speculate that his pixie hands contributed to that tendency.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:50 am
  • I think he started slow, that first pass was abysmal, how do you throw a pass behind and at the feet on a long handoff, which is what it was. But I have to say he got better as the game went on. He was breaking the pocket too quickly and rarely does he go into run mode while still looking to pass. All of this can be taught, the accuracy is going to be his downfall if it doesn't improve. I don't think you can really teach accuracy, I think that is an acquired trait that has to come with a ton of work.

All in all, not a bad game but not great either. The man has tools that could make him a great NFL QB with work-ethic and humility he could be a force in this league. He is nowhere near that at this time though.
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:57 am
  • Somos doces wrote:Sucks for the 49ers they didn't consult some random contrarian fan of a rival NFL team before they moved up to draft Lance.

And yet, Lance had statistically one of the better outings by any rookie. Lance had 4 TD's in not even a game worth of play, the same as Mac Jones.

Give him time, I think he'll be at least a decent QB.
    Stud
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:27 pm
  • Fanatics wrote:I think he started slow, that first pass was abysmal, how do you throw a pass behind and at the feet on a long handoff, which is what it was. But I have to say he got better as the game went on. He was breaking the pocket too quickly and rarely does he go into run mode while still looking to pass. All of this can be taught, the accuracy is going to be his downfall if it doesn't improve. I don't think you can really teach accuracy, I think that is an acquired trait that has to come with a ton of work.

All in all, not a bad game but not great either. The man has tools that could make him a great NFL QB with work-ethic and humility he could be a force in this league. He is nowhere near that at this time though.

I'd disagree a BIT about looking downfield while running but otherwise totally fair.

My favorite play was actually when he scrambled forward in the pocket and hit Sanu to his left for like a 15-20 yard gain.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:32 pm
  • Stud wrote:
    Somos doces wrote:Sucks for the 49ers they didn't consult some random contrarian fan of a rival NFL team before they moved up to draft Lance.

And yet, Lance had statistically one of the better outings by any rookie. Lance had 4 TD's in not even a game worth of play, the same as Mac Jones.

Give him time, I think he'll be at least a decent QB.

Yes, he's scored 4 times (and scored on 2 pt conversion) on 39 pro snaps, but context is everything.

He scored twice from inside the 5 when Jimmy got them there and once on the 76 yard broken coverage to Samuel. To be fair, him being the QB had alot to do with that broken coverage as all eyes were in the backfield waiting for him to run, but it wasn't a great play by him that created the broken coverage...just the THREAT of him that partially caused it.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:09 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:Before Sunday the last competitive football game Lance played in was on January 11th, 2020. He has not played in a game in over 600 days. Since his senior year in high school, he has only played 16 games at the FCS level. This dude is basically a high school QB getting thrown into the NFL deep end.

Most important reply in this thread. 16 games…at North Dakota State.

He wasn’t going to come in and light the league on fire. He was drafted for his physical traits including a cannon of an arm. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see above average play from him the last half of the season and a great career ahead. I wouldn’t bet my house on it but….if you consider how “raw” he is, the experience and work SF does with him may turn this guy into something special.
    GemCity
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information