Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 pm
  • This team makes the playoffs this year or next. I still say this yr with 88 wins.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 pm
  • In the end, a great outing by Dunn. M's are 8-5 and leading the West. Championship! :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, our young guys are in their first full season. If they can keep this up over the grind of summer, we do have a chance at the playoffs, which would be great. Great way to celebrate Jackie Robinson Day, by sweeping the Orioles in a double header, and capping a 3-1 series. :2thumbs:

Haniger is on fire. Hard to believe he missed almost 2 years and came back this quick. We have 4 legit OF starters now, not counting Kelenic, who should be up in May. Nice problem to have. Hanny is probably trade bait, which makes me a bit sad because he's worked so hard and been through so much for this team, but he's most likely the odd man out.

Mariners baseball is fun again, at least for now. :snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:16 pm
  • balakoth wrote:I have a question.. can we actually see Kelenic play against real MLB competition before we anoint him? Geeesh

That’s my fault, guilty as charged. :oops:

That’s the issue though, I want to see him against MLB pitching.

If he’s a bust feel free to come back and throw it in my face. It won’t be the first plate of crow I’ve eaten. 8)

....but please tell me though, what Haggerty, Frahley, and Bishop did better than Kelenic to make the club.
    I’m all ears.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:20 pm
  • sutz wrote:In the end, a great outing by Dunn. M's are 8-5 and leading the West. Championship! :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, our young guys are in their first full season. If they can keep this up over the grind of summer, we do have a chance at the playoffs, which would be great. Great way to celebrate Jackie Robinson Day, by sweeping the Orioles in a double header, and capping a 3-1 series. :2thumbs:

Haniger is on fire. Hard to believe he missed almost 2 years and came back this quick. We have 4 legit OF starters now, not counting Kelenic, who should be up in May. Nice problem to have. Hanny is probably trade bait, which makes me a bit sad because he's worked so hard and been through so much for this team, but he's most likely the odd man out.

Mariners baseball is fun again, at least for now. :snack:

Big fan of Haniger too, but he’s going to be traded for much needed pitching at some point.
    Haniger is a professional hitter that doesn’t give away many AB’s. A lineup with Lewis and JK will be a much better lineup and leave you with a strong bench.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:36 pm
  • I don't get all the Haniger trade talk at all. I just don't see how they can justify possibly trading him when he should be a building block. He's a stud and only 30 years old. He still has a TON of baseball left.

Lewis is a stud, but I have a feeling he'll always have a lingering issue with that knee. Kelenic and Rodriguez have never seen the majors. Trammell hasn't shown nearly enough. It's fun to dream of what that outfield should look like one day, but that's just it. It's just a dream. We won't know anything about these kids until we see them on the the field, or producing more.

This team needs pitching help, but I don't think sacrificing Haniger is the answer. I'd rather see them give Gilbert and Kirby shots at the big before that happens.

If this team is in serious contention by the deadline, they'd be foolish to deal Haniger. AND Seager, for that matter.

Plus, I trust Jerry to deal for a quality, reliable starting pitcher as much as I trust Pete and John to put together quality drafts. Jerry has a terrible track record with all the dunces he's traded for. And there have been a TON.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:14 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:I don't get all the Haniger trade talk at all. I just don't see how they can justify possibly trading him when he should be a building block. He's a stud and only 30 years old. He still has a TON of baseball left.

Lewis is a stud, but I have a feeling he'll always have a lingering issue with that knee. Kelenic and Rodriguez have never seen the majors. Trammell hasn't shown nearly enough. It's fun to dream of what that outfield should look like one day, but that's just it. It's just a dream. We won't know anything about these kids until we see them on the the field, or producing more.

This team needs pitching help, but I don't think sacrificing Haniger is the answer. I'd rather see them give Gilbert and Kirby shots at the big before that happens.

If this team is in serious contention by the deadline, they'd be foolish to deal Haniger. AND Seager, for that matter.

Plus, I trust Jerry to deal for a quality, reliable starting pitcher as much as I trust Pete and John to put together quality drafts. Jerry has a terrible track record with all the dunces he's traded for. And there have been a TON.

I see your point, while respectfully disagreeing.
    You are not going to get quality pitching without giving up quality something.
    Jerry traded to get Haniger in the first place, plus he traded for Nola for France, Trammell (who’s supposed to be good) and another pitcher. He’s had his share of misses, but he also has some hits.

Haniger is your biggest “chip” to get pitching.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 am
  • When the M's first got Haniger he got off to a slow start and i said send him to AAA (doh). Few years later now he needs to be in the line up. Screw trading him. M's should build a line up that puts fear into pitchers again (1995-2003). Keep all you can get. Pitching so far is average when looking at the stats, but so far best record in 1 run games. Trammel will eventually be replaced by Julio or Kelenic, so maybe Trammel is trade bait.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:55 am
  • The idea of trading Haniger has more to do with the future than anything else. The trade-off being do you keep an older player at the end of his career, taking on all the free agent wrangling over his deal-which happens in another season or so-or do you go with a young guy that you have control over for the next 3-5 years?

I'm a die hard Haniger fan. Always have been and seeing him finally playing healthy is a joy to see. Will he play well enough that he turns into the next Seager, where they sign him to a long term deal, or does he play well enough to just be trade bait for more stringent team needs, of which pitching is the obvious one? I'm at least in part a realist, and Haniger's recent history with injury is troubling, TBS. His best value to the team as a whole might be as a trading chip. I wouldn't like that but I would understand it.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 am
  • sutz wrote:The idea of trading Haniger has more to do with the future than anything else. The trade-off being do you keep an older player at the end of his career, taking on all the free agent wrangling over his deal-which happens in another season or so-or do you go with a young guy that you have control over for the next 3-5 years?

I'm a die hard Haniger fan. Always have been and seeing him finally playing healthy is a joy to see. Will he play well enough that he turns into the next Seager, where they sign him to a long term deal, or does he play well enough to just be trade bait for more stringent team needs, of which pitching is the obvious one? I'm at least in part a realist, and Haniger's recent history with injury is troubling, TBS. His best value to the team as a whole might be as a trading chip. I wouldn't like that but I would understand it.

Well said.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:21 pm
  • Is Altuve in the lineup for the Asterisks? I thought he had COVID?
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 pm
  • Threedee wrote:Is Altuve in the lineup for the Asterisks? I thought he had COVID?

He went on the IL, along with a handful of others. Hasn't made much difference, though. All the kids they brought up as replacements are having their way. Another typical Mariners vs Astros game.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:20 pm
  • 5-5 bottom of the 9th. 2 on, no outs. France is up. Let's do it.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:24 pm
  • And they did it! There's nothing I like more than seeing the Ms beating the Stros.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:55 pm
  • Nice win against the Astros JV team (due to Covid protocols).
    Starting pitching is still a concern IMHO though.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:59 am
  • Bullpen era is at 1 last 7 games. Kikuchi is a headcase.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:11 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Bullpen era is at 1 last 7 games. Kikuchi is a headcase.

Love it. Steckenrider has looked really good since his disastrous outing in game 1. Middleton, Sadler, Vest, and Anthony M, Swanson they've all shown capabilities that we've been hoping to see from the pen for years. Montero is the only one off the top of my head that I'd prefer not to see. Gravy or Anthony M should probably be the the closer.

Yeah....Yusei was back to being bad Yusei from last year last night. He totally fell apart, beginning in the 4th. That's when I started streaming the game. He had a ton of WILD pitches that Murph bailed him out on.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 am
  • Sadler had a complete meltdown and cost them the game a couple nights ago with his walk,error,wild pitch, game winning hit inning. Other than that and Montero’s inconsistency's the bullpen has been pretty solid. ...but if the starting pitching doesn’t improve they will get burnt out soon.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:04 pm
  • As much of a :179417: type guy I am, it's easy to see they are flying pretty close to the ground here. They can't afford a lot of mistakes and still win a game. Nice to see the competitiveness, though.

:2thumbs: :snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:20 pm
  • I would love to have that 2014 bullpen efficiency back.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:56 pm
  • Has a starting pitcher ever had an easier outing than Grienke had tonight?
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 pm
  • ZG was very good, but he exposed his weak this lineup is.

I won’t say it.

Too bad they wasted another great effort by Flexon and the pen.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:21 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:ZG was very good, but he exposed his weak this lineup is.

I won’t say it.

Too bad they wasted another great effort by Flexon and the pen.

It was like watching Felix pitch. As soon as he surrendered a run, you could sense that he was about to get hosed (I actually call it getting Felixed) again by the "offense." At least this 2021 roster hasn't been typically this anemic as the one's the King had to carry every five days.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:40 pm
  • It is Greinke. However offense has some holes that need to be filled and will be filled soon.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:06 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:It is Greinke. However offense has some holes that need to be filled and will be filled soon.

And now the defense goes to $h!t, with consecutive errors in the top of the fifth. I agree about Grienke, but, I would have agreed much more a couple of years ago, or more.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:22 pm
  • Nice bounce back after the 2 error 5th. Mitch and Ty getting hot again. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:35 pm
  • Another series win. They go to 10 and 6 on the year. The bullpen so far has been very,very good.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:10 pm
  • I’m really staring to like France, a lot.
    He’s a shorter version of Haniger when it comes to hitting, both have great hitting approaches, rarely “give away AB’s” and can hit with power to all fields, both have some speed. A very solid 1-2 punch.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:17 pm
  • I'm sticking by my Haniger comment. Leads the AL in hits so far. If France replaced Moore at 2B and Haniger went DH the line up could look like:

Haniger
    France
    Lewis
    Kelenic
    Rodruiguz
    Seager
    White
    Lorrens/Murphy
    Crawford
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:01 pm
  • When Lewis comes back, who's the odd man out? Trammell? Marmo? I feel like they love Moore's versatility to play infield and outfield, but he's as worthless as tits on a boar at the plate right now. Unfortunately, I think Moore sticks as the super utility guy.

Personally, I'd like to see Marmo stick and Trammell sent down to work on his hitting. Marmo has come a long way since his early days last year. I'm glad he's been able to adjust.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:58 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:When Lewis comes back, who's the odd man out? Trammell? Marmo? I feel like they love Moore's versatility to play infield and outfield, but he's as worthless as tits on a boar at the plate right now. Unfortunately, I think Moore sticks as the super utility guy.

Personally, I'd like to see Marmo stick and Trammell sent down to work on his hitting. Marmo has come a long way since his early days last year. I'm glad he's been able to adjust.

Marmo, Haggerty, or Trammell goes down like you said.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:38 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:When Lewis comes back, who's the odd man out? Trammell? Marmo? I feel like they love Moore's versatility to play infield and outfield, but he's as worthless as tits on a boar at the plate right now. Unfortunately, I think Moore sticks as the super utility guy.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Haggerty.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:20 am
  • Doubt that Moore is going anywhere. He's a 7-8 position utility player who has hit acceptably in the past.

Haggerty might stay over Marmo and Trammel just because he's a switch hitter.

Haniger is not just a hitter, he's a top notch RF too.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:12 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:When Lewis comes back, who's the odd man out? Trammell? Marmo? I feel like they love Moore's versatility to play infield and outfield, but he's as worthless as tits on a boar at the plate right now. Unfortunately, I think Moore sticks as the super utility guy.

Also Bishop is on the roster.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:17 pm
  • sutz wrote:Doubt that Moore is going anywhere. He's a 7-8 position utility player who has hit acceptably in the past.

Haggerty is a switch hitter that is hitting under .200, if switch hitting itself keeps you on the club when you are not good at either side than this org is dumber than I already think they are.

Mitch can play all 3 OF positions but so can JK, J-rod, and Lewis. Nice problem to have eventually.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:50 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Doubt that Moore is going anywhere. He's a 7-8 position utility player who has hit acceptably in the past.

Haggerty is a switch hitter that is hitting under .200, if switch hitting itself keeps you on the club when you are not good at either side than this org is dumber than I already think they are.

Mitch can play all 3 OF positions but so can JK, J-rod, and Lewis. Nice problem to have eventually.

I agree..Shouldn't it be about time JK gets called up?4/17 equals 171 days which is
    the max you can have to gain a full season of control..Get rid of Bishop and Haggerty.
    Trammel has speed and glove.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:18 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Doubt that Moore is going anywhere. He's a 7-8 position utility player who has hit acceptably in the past.

I agree..Shouldn't it be about time JK gets called up?4/17 equals 171 days which is
    the max you can have to gain a full season of control..Get rid of Bishop and Haggerty.
    Trammel has speed and glove.

They’ll drag it out as long as they can so it doesn’t look as obvious with the arbitration games they are playing.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:33 pm
  • Mariners escaped with a win despite Montero all over the map in the 9th.

Good news was Marmo and Trammell taking 98-99 mph pitches deep off a real good pitcher.
    Graveman stopped the bleeding at the right time.

Bad news, France was removed from the game after being HBP.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:06 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Also Bishop is on the roster.

Ugh, yep. Also forgot about him. I'd rather they keep Haggerty over Bishop. I feel like we've seen Bishop up and down for the last 3-4 years.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 pm
  • They said x-rays were negative for France. Good news, but that's a serious bruise. He could miss some time.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:39 am
  • sutz wrote:They said x-rays were negative for France. Good news, but that's a serious bruise. He could miss some time.

You think Betts got nailed for France?I hope so..
    It's fine to pitch in but do it with control..Otherwise
    oops sorry.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 am
  • Not that it means much if he doesn't get on base, but Haggerty at the very least is good at stealing bases and the fastest guy on the team.
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:08 am
  • What a catch by dylan at 3rd.

I had back surgery last night and always watch or listen to the games but nodded off. My brother kept me updated.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:22 am
  • That was a helluva game, for sure. Some errors along the way, but in the end it was a great team win. Sheff started off strong, but faded in the 6th. Some people hate Servais, but he made the call to the pen before the bleeding got unmanageable. Several individual all star level defensive plays by Moore, Haniger, and White. The bullpen was pretty amazing, good enough that when the inevitable happens and they blow a couple of games the boo birds will be out in force.

I suspect France will miss some time and might go on the IL. After the hit he couldn't even make the throw across the diamond. Taking a 98 mph fastball on the forearm like that leaves a mark. Guess maybe Lewis will be activated today.

Best record in the AL and just beat the best team in baseball. The baseball gods are smiling on the M's these days. Sure, it may not last but I plan to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

:irishdrinkers: :snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 am
  • sutz wrote:They said x-rays were negative for France. Good news, but that's a serious bruise. He could miss some time.

Something to remember the next time the cheating five are back in the lineup.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:You think Betts got nailed for France?I hope so..

Absolutely no way that was intentional in that situation. It was a one run game in the top of the 9th with only 1 out and 1 man already on base. There's no way they're intentionally putting Mookie Betts on base and moving the runner that was already on from 1st in to scoring position. Getting the win is far more important than getting retaliation there. If they had felt the need to get retaliation for France they would have done it earlier in the game.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:You think Betts got nailed for France?I hope so..

Absolutely no way that was intentional in that situation. It was a one run game in the top of the 9th with only 1 out and 1 man already on base. There's no way they're intentionally putting Mookie Betts on base and moving the runner that was already on from 1st in to scoring position. Getting the win is far more important than getting retaliation there. If they had felt the need to get retaliation for France they would have done it earlier in the game.

Your right,I didn't see any of it so I just wondered.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:08 pm
  • Well, a split against the champs is nothing to be embarassed about. Marco pitched a gem, their guy was just a shade better.

Off to Boston and Houston.

:snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 pm
  • sutz wrote:Well, a split against the champs is nothing to be embarassed about. Marco pitched a gem, their guy was just a shade better.

Off to Boston and Houston.

:snack:

Marco deserved better today.
    One freakin’ hit?

Need. More. Offense.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:45 pm
  • Is it just me, or has the umping really sucked this year so far?

Can't remember this much inconsistancy in the balls and strikes calls.

:34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:15 pm
  • M's win in extra's..Dunn with one walk(only) :2thumbs:
    How about France and Mitch?they have been all the offense we have needed.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 6:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information