Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:18 pm
  • sutz wrote:Is it just me, or has the umping really sucked this year so far?

Can't remember this much inconsistancy in the balls and strikes calls.

:34853_doh:

Definitely seems extra horrible to me this year. Though they have been consistent in one area at least, calling balls half a foot off the plate away as strikes. The worst part to me so far is the couple of times already where a runner failed to even touch the base/plate and being called safe.
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:42 pm
  • What a win!! 12 and 7.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:16 pm
  • sutz wrote:Is it just me, or has the umping really sucked this year so far?

Yeah tonight was pretty horrible, Shannon even called them out on the postgame show.
    It’s been trending the wrong way for a few years now.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 pm
  • Helluva game, though. Dunn battled all the way, yet in the end he kept us in the game through 5.

Haniger with that towering homer in the 10th. Thing of beauty.

:snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:05 pm
  • sutz wrote:Helluva game, though. Dunn battled all the way, yet in the end he kept us in the game through 5.

They made the most of their 3 hits.
    Still could use more offense. Seager and Trammell can’t seem to hit their way out of a wet paper bag of late.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:16 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Helluva game, though. Dunn battled all the way, yet in the end he kept us in the game through 5.

Still could use more offense. Seager and Trammell can’t seem to hit their way out of a wet paper bag of late.

Can't argue that point. When only a couple of guys are your whole offense, if they struggle the whole team does. Almost end of April. Time for the "slow starters" to get going. Can't really blame Lewis with all the time he missed.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:10 am
  • If they can split the next two series, my confidence in this team will be the highest it's been in 20 years.

It would mean the rebuild has been worth it
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:22 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Helluva game, though. Dunn battled all the way, yet in the end he kept us in the game through 5.

To be fair to Seager, he was clearly swinging for the fence on all three strikes of that final at-bat. He probably figured that a three-run lead should carry the game, but, if not, then two more was a worthwhile pursuit, rather than just trying to extend the inning.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:37 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Is it just me, or has the umping really sucked this year so far?

Yeah tonight was pretty horrible, Shannon even called them out on the postgame show.
    It’s been trending the wrong way for a few years now.

That's one of the things that keeps me from being able to enjoy baseball fully. I don't understand the resistance to using technology to fix that part of the game once and for all. Every single pitch can be called correctly without the limitations of an ump who either can't see a particular pitcher well, or who simply plays favorites...

Let the machines call balls and strikes, or at the very least be available to help. I would even settle for the pitcher or batter being able to challenge a called ball/strike, making the ump check it electronically for those people that are against taking "the human element" out of the game.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:11 pm
  • Just when Seager is hitting again, he goes and gets thrown at out 3rd from 1st on a White mash off the monster in LF. What the hell was he thinking. Killed the threat in the 5th.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:05 pm
  • Lots to be excited about with the direction of this team. However, Yusei should not be a part of that direction. He's just not good. He makes me long for the days of Silva Baseball again.

I can't imagine they'd be willing to pick up his 4th year option, and they shouldn't. I'd rather see them move on ASAP and see what they have in one of the kids.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:52 am
  • The broadcasters have drawn my attention to the fact that Evan White won a gold glove last year. Aside from Cano and Seager, it has been painful to watch terrible Seattle defenses over the past decade. I would love to see it return to peak 1992-2005ish form.

This franchise has had Vizquel, Wilson, and Beltre (greatest, greatest, and third-greatest all-time defensively at their positions). It saw phenomenal defensive players such as Griffey, Cameron, Suzuki, Olerud, Bell, and many others. Even Boone was a gold glover.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:32 pm
  • Threedee wrote:The broadcasters have drawn my attention to the fact that Evan White won a gold glove last year. Aside from Cano and Seager, it has been painful to watch terrible Seattle defenses over the past decade. I would love to see it return to peak 1992-2005ish form.

This franchise has had Vizquel, Wilson, and Beltre (greatest, greatest, and third-greatest all-time defensively at their positions). It saw phenomenal defensive players such as Griffey, Cameron, Suzuki, Olerud, Bell, and many others. Even Boone was a gold glover.

Looks like Seager is warming up, he hit 2 balls today that are HR’s in any other park.
    I’m seriously loving watching Ty France hit right now. What were the Padres thinking when they traded him here?
    Haggerty man not be odd man out when JK eventually gets called up if he keeps hitting and Trammell keeps struggling.

Flexen has been a huge surprise. Nice gem he pitched today.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:07 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Threedee wrote:The broadcasters have drawn my attention to the fact that Evan White won a gold glove last year. Aside from Cano and Seager, it has been painful to watch terrible Seattle defenses over the past decade. I would love to see it return to peak 1992-2005ish form.

Looks like Seager is warming up, he hit 2 balls today that are HR’s in any other park.
    I’m seriously loving watching Ty France hit right now. What were the Padres thinking when they traded him here?
    Haggerty man not be odd man out when JK eventually gets called up if he keeps hitting and Trammell keeps struggling.

Love seeing Seager hit well. You're right, he would've had the cycle today if it were in any other park.

I love me some Sam Haggerty. He reminds me of Shawn O'Malley a bit. Big park plug. His fielding might now be as good as O'Malley's, but his bat is much better. He's definitely making the most of his opportunities, unlike Moore and Trammell. Trammell looks like he's just guessing at this point. He's dejected and it's written all over his face. He's not ready. I don't see how they can justify keeping Moore/Trammell around over Kelenic. We'll never know if he's ready or not unless they give him a shot.
    Can't be any worse than what Trammell and Moore are giving you.

Flexen looks good, man. Really good. Big surprise. He was locked in today, and has been for the majority so far. He had that one bad game against the Twins, but has been more than rock solid in every other start.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:22 pm
  • Great game today..
    Thepeel-I don't know if you knew besides White that Crawford and Lewis also won gold gloves.
    But yeah when you think back it has been awhile since we had multiple winners before last season.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:36 pm
  • This team is trending in the right spot.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:59 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Great game today..
    Thepeel-I don't know if you knew besides White that Crawford and Lewis also won gold gloves.

Of course. Also, Seager has a gold glove from once upon a time. This squad is littered with elite defense.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:10 pm
  • Haniger is an all-star, which is kind of "gold glove adjacent" too. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:50 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Threedee wrote:The broadcasters have drawn my attention to the fact that Evan White won a gold glove last year. Aside from Cano and Seager, it has been painful to watch terrible Seattle defenses over the past decade. I would love to see it return to peak 1992-2005ish form.

Padres are basically focused on their starting pitching staff. Probably a result of playing in the NL West. Worked out for us, though.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Great game today..
    But yeah when you think back it has been awhile since we had multiple winners before last season.

That is great to see.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:33 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Great game today..

That is great to see.

Lewis actually won rookie of the year, not a gold glove. The AL gold glove winner at CF was Luis Robert.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:57 pm
  • sutz wrote:Haniger is an all-star, which is kind of "gold glove adjacent" too. :twisted:

France will be an all star too, if he keeps it up.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:13 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    Threedee wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Great game today..

That is great to see.

Lewis actually won rookie of the year, not a gold glove. The AL gold glove winner at CF was Luis Robert.

Crawford is exciting, because, we have been waiting for an all-star SS ever since A-Roid left. The closet we have gotten was Jean Segura.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:15 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:Lots to be excited about with the direction of this team. However, Yusei should not be a part of that direction. He's just not good. He makes me long for the days of Silva Baseball again.

I can't imagine they'd be willing to pick up his 4th year option, and they shouldn't. I'd rather see them move on ASAP and see what they have in one of the kids.

Agreed 100%. He makes me nervous on the mound.

Always seems to have control issues at crucial moments
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:26 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:Lots to be excited about with the direction of this team. However, Yusei should not be a part of that direction. He's just not good. He makes me long for the days of Silva Baseball again.

Agreed 100%. He makes me nervous on the mound.

Always seems to have control issues at crucial moments

After all the hype, it's hard not to be a bit disappointed in YK. He's in his 3rd year. He should be acclimated by now. :229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:49 pm
  • Already down 2-0 early to Houston.

Need more offense.

I know BA isn’t the end all be all of stats anymore but 5 of the 9 starters having a BA starting with a 1.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pm
  • Indeed, Regular guys getting some wood on the ball, but they need the other guys to step it up to turn them into runs.

Yeah, too many guys under the mendoza line. :229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:14 pm
  • Kyle Lewis with a long ball. Good to see him heating up. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:38 pm
  • Sheffield is not a good or even decent pitcher IMHO.
    Just another in a long list of failed over rated yankee prospects the Mariners FO fell for.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:27 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Sheffield is not a good or even decent pitcher IMHO.
    Just another in a long list of failed over rated yankee prospects the Mariners FO fell for.

OR.....Just another in a long list of failed pitching acquisitions Dipoto fell for.

I'd rather have Sheffield than Kikuchi, TBH.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 pm
  • starting to lose patience with the dylan moore experience
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:27 am
  • Struggles are real.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:15 am
  • Crizilla wrote:starting to lose patience with the dylan moore experience
    Man, it's Brendan Ryan all over again. He's somethink like 3 for his last 45. But at least he's not on pace to shatter the strikeout record like Trammell is. So he has that going for him.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:starting to lose patience with the dylan moore experience
    Man, it's Brendan Ryan all over again. He's somethink like 3 for his last 45. But at least he's not on pace to shatter the strikeout record like Trammell is. So he has that going for him.

It’s time to bring up JK. You have over half your starting line up with a BA starting with a 1.

I’m confident Kelenic can do better than that, right now. No other reason to keep him down other than to cover their asses to put distance between the arb clock deadline and when they finally call him up.

They want an “out” when folks accuse them of doing what they did. That way they can say “if the arbitration argument was true, we would have brought him up the next day”. It’s a CYA move.

I like Trammell’s potential, I think he will be very good, sooner than later.
    He is a human strikeout machine right now, he seems to be 0-2 as soon as he steps in the batters box.
    Time for him to figure it out in Tacoma or Peoria if the Rainers haven’t started yet.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:14 pm
  • Given how the Evan White 'experiment' is going, I'm not surprised they're being a bit cautious with Kelenic and want to see him hit against AAA pitching a few games, at least. It's starting to look like White might need a week or so at Tacoma when they get started.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:35 pm
  • sutz wrote:Given how the Evan White 'experiment' is going, I'm not surprised they're being a bit cautious with Kelenic and want to see him hit against AAA pitching a few games, at least. It's starting to look like White might need a week or so at Tacoma when they get started.

That may be the Mariners “reasoning” but any one with 2 eyes can see the talent level with the bat they are in different universes. They are in CYA mode, see my post above.

Trammell needs to be sent down, I can see them keeping White up for his defense but if they sent most of the hitters that are regulars who’ve played most of April and who’s BA starts with a 1 I wouldn’t be sad or upset.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:46 pm
  • Kelenic needs to be brought up like yesterday. The kid is a stud with tons of confidence. Even if he were to struggle i just don't see it getting to him like a Zunino or Ackley. Kelenic has to much swag.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:04 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Kelenic needs to be brought up like yesterday. The kid is a stud with tons of confidence. Even if he were to struggle i just don't see it getting to him like a Zunino or Ackley. Kelenic has to much swag.

Yep. Confidence or being over matched won’t be a problem.

To quote Bob Uecker in the movie Major League... “Two ****ing hits?”

And Seager had them both. Seems like some players are feeling a little too comfortable @ the MLB level.
    Time to start shipping non preforming butts to Tacoma or the alternate site.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:29 pm
  • Might as well bring up the boys now. Tired of seeing Vlad Jr, Acuna, and Ohtani doing work at the plate.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:03 pm
  • Remember when pitching was gonna slow this team down?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:08 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Kelenic needs to be brought up like yesterday. The kid is a stud with tons of confidence. Even if he were to struggle i just don't see it getting to him like a Zunino or Ackley. Kelenic has to much swag.

Yep. Confidence or being over matched won’t be a problem.

To quote Bob Uecker in the movie Major League... “Two ****ing hits?”

And Seager had them both. Seems like some players are feeling a little too comfortable @ the MLB level.
    Time to start shipping non preforming butts to Tacoma or the alternate site.

I agree with this but who are the hitters that just can't do it
    in April?You see guys struggle and then they are ok.
    I'm not saying it is all the guys but maybe a couple- just saying.
    Anyway I was down on Haggerty but now I think he should
    stay and Trammel?The speed and defense are positives that
    maybe being more patient is called for.
    On the pitching end I look at this season as roll with what we got.
    Who can we bring up to start that is better?Maybe in a month or
    two we will have our future star shine in the minors.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:31 pm
  • AAA won't start til next week. Once it gets going we'll know a little more about Kelenic and the pitching prospects. Playing practice games and mock games against your teammates don't tell you a lot. At least AAA is real competition against fellow players fighting for future roster spots.

The whole covid/baseball situation over the last year has really screwed our young guys. Can't wait til they get vaxxed and $h!t starts getting back to normal.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:14 pm
  • sutz wrote:AAA won't start til next week. Once it gets going we'll know a little more about Kelenic and the pitching prospects. Playing practice games and mock games against your teammates don't tell you a lot. At least AAA is real competition against fellow players fighting for future roster spots.

The whole covid/baseball situation over the last year has really screwed our young guys. Can't wait til they get vaxxed and $h!t starts getting back to normal.

Which is why JK a should have made the team out of ST.
    They knew the minor leagues would start late, this shouldn’t have been a surprise to the M’s org.

You (generally speaking) can say it’s only ST but he had the highest OPS on the team and everyone else was hitting against the same pitching. Playing arbitration games is going to bite this team in the ass, it already has short term IMHO, and will long term when JK refuses to sign an extension.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:36 pm
  • No gold glove for Evan White this season. Learn how to throw a baseball, or something.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 pm
  • Omfg, tonight's game is a complete meltdown.

The bullpen stunk tonight, dumb errors in bad situations. What an awful 8th inning.
    Same ol Mariners. We suck
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:42 pm
  • Threedee wrote:No gold glove for Evan White this season. Learn how to throw a baseball, or something.

Yep Evan White can’t make a basic throw down to 2nd base and the bullpen implodes after that.
    Cannot give a team like Houston 5 outs in an inning and expect to go unscathed.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:44 am
  • Y'know, if you don't have any expectations to begin with, these chuckleheads can't break your heart. The other shoe will ALWAYS drop, eventually. Just accept it.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:59 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Y'know, if you don't have any expectations to begin with, these chuckleheads can't break your heart. The other shoe will ALWAYS drop, eventually. Just accept it.

Well, sure. We all knew the first month of the 2019 season was an hilarious fluke, but, we enjoyed the ride. People should still be able to have single-game expectations. Especially when a game is lost due to little league fundamentals, like accurately throwing a ball less than 90 feet. If the Asterisks had simply teed-off on our pitching during that inning, no one's expectations would have been too high.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm
  • Nice win in the getaway game, at least. YK throws a gem, one hit through 7. Pen regains its form to lock down the 1 -0 win.

:irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:55 pm
  • And now Marco goes on the IL with forearm pain. :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 1:19 pm