10 Keys to a Seahawks Victory vs. the 49ers

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Giedi":1urlmv6i said:
49ers were 3-2 over the course of those 5 games. Not a great record, but not a bad record either - considering your argument that the 49er secondary is no better than Swiss cheese. The 49er defense's goal isn't to prevent yardage - but create turnovers. And that's the problem - if the 49ers don't create turnovers, the 49ers don't do very well.

Before I go much further, let me provide some background info. My best friend is a die hard 49ers fan (being from Northern California, he grew up with the Niners like I grew up with the Seahawks, living in Washington State.) We met in college back in 1991 and have been best of friends ever since. Both of us are absolutely passionate about our teams ... and when we talk on the phone, we have great Seahawks/49ers/NFL debates that can last an hour or more. We pull no punches, but feel no real animosity towards the other ... basically because our teams weren't rivals at the time we met ... and obviously weren't for years afterwards. I became a fan of the Hawks during the old AFC West days, so though I acknowledge San Fran as a rival now, I personally don't have any true animosity towards them (I do towards the Raiders and Broncos however.) I grew up watching that San Francisco team with Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, Lott, etc. and was a real fan of theirs actually (they were probably my 2nd favorite team because like I said in those days, they and the Hawks weren't in the same division.) Honestly, I'd probably say that this current Seahawks defense reminds me a heck of a lot of that 49er defense that was spearheaded by guys like Ronnie Lott and Charles Haley, as those guys would look to absolutely destroy you (just like this Hawks defense.) Needless to say, I've seen a lot of 49ers football throughout the years.

Now, I wouldn't say that this current group of 49er defensive backs are exactly "swiss cheese", but I would say that they don't appear very stout at this moment in time. The Seahawks saw the same kind of "bend but don't break, focus on creating turnovers" philosophy under Holmgren, and that defense in the end ended up breaking. Now, I don't know what the deal is surrounding this 49er secondary, but my hunch is that it's possible that a couple of those guys are starting to lose a step. After all, Carlos Rogers is 32 ... and so is Nnamdi Asomugha. You also lost Dashon Goldson from last season (a big blow IMO) and Eric Reid is a rookie and obviously still learning his craft. In the NFL, it doesn't take much. A half step here ... a fraction of a second of indecision there can make all the difference. All of those things combined could have contributed to the kind of offense that you saw the Packers were able to generate against the Niners this past weekend.

Does that mean a hill of beans in terms of this game? In the end could that simply just be bad 6-7 game stretch for the 49er Defense? Could be. But personally, I'm thinking that's far too big a sample size to just write off. If 49er DB's aren't going to provide much resistance and plan to basically allow Russell Wilson to complete passes at will, hoping that he will somehow make a mistake ... I'm thinking it's going to be a LONG evening for 49er players and their fans.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
1. Get of the snap D-line. No problem, the O-line has to watch the center too.

2. Show Kap zone when he goes under center. When he audibles to the gun to counter, go press on the edges and mix it up in the middle.

3. Noise.

It's in the bag, Pete knows what to do.