12 Undrafted Free Agents officially signed

mikeak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":d31avnw9 said:
FanSince82":d31avnw9 said:
We potentially pick up a 1st rounder in an area of extreme need for league minimum. The upside greatly outweighs the potential downside (bad pr??)

The downside is you just signed a murderer, and that's a very real downside.

The problem right now is that because his agent is an idiot there are two reasons that nobody might have drafted him:

1) Teams investigated (which we know they did) and he's involved in the murder of his pregnant ex.

2) His agent was dumb enough to say that he'd enter the draft next year if he was taken to low. If he's innocent because the NFLPA is someone had drafted him even in the 7th he could just sit out the year and enter next year, whereas if he's forced to be an UDFA he's locked into the team he signs with for four years (3 + an RFA year) and can't reenter the draft.

If his agent wasn't an idiot he would have lied through his teeth and said Collins is innocent and will be excited to play for any team that drafts him (and then if he goes late he just sits the year).

No 2 is wrong. Look above at the link

3 year contract as UDFA with eligibility for extension after 2

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The above list of UDFA signings has only 11 of the 12. the 12th appears to be WR- Ross Apo, BYU.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
So it looks like we signed a couple big WR projects to compete with Matthews for that role. After watching more Locket footage, I'm cool with that. Sooner or later one of these guys could stick.

HansGruber

Reaction score
The police have officially stated that La'el Collins is not a suspect:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-suspect/

Man, if he had nothing to do with that murder, what a sad story. To work so hard your whole life for something and then have it flushed down the toilet because someone you know was murdered. Ugh. I hope the kid is innocent and able to find a team.

2_0_6

Reaction score
HansGruber":2ott4ahr said:

Man, if he had nothing to do with that murder, what a sad story. To work so hard your whole life for something and then have it flushed down the toilet because someone you know was murdered. Ugh. I hope the kid is innocent and able to find a team.

Man that sucks.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Nate Boyer is going to be on total access in studio within the hour to tell his story.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I really like the Austin Hill signing...I had a feeling that the Seahawks may have picked him late. Hill is a sleeper and I believe he will impact the Seahawks huge way. He's going to fill the void of a big WR to move the chains. He doesn't have to be the #1 or #2 WR to do that. Another thing is that he loves to block. On a run first team, that's essential.

crosfam

Reaction score
HansGruber":1ax7ptw7 said:

If he is cleared, the NFL should do the right thing and let him go to the supplemental draft.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
crosfam":cthhkz33 said:
HansGruber":cthhkz33 said:

If he is cleared, the NFL should do the right thing and let him go to the supplemental draft.
How is that the right thing to do? He told teams he refused to sign with them if they didn't do what he wanted...he put himself in this mess

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HansGruber":rsiwr4oe said:

Umm, he was a top 15 pick before this. If he's innocent he'll play, there's no doubt about that. Nothing has been flushed down the toilet, unless he did it then he was the one doing the flushing.

crosfam

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3tthggzf said:
crosfam":3tthggzf said:
HansGruber":3tthggzf said:

How is that the right thing to do? He told teams he refused to sign with them if they didn't do what he wanted...he put himself in this mess

The day prior to the draft, he asked to go to the supplemental draft. The NFL said no, and then the agent made the demand that he be drafted in rds 2 or 3 or he would sit out and enter the draft next year. The NFL said no to that too. It seems they were most worried about looking like they are coddling another serious felon. If, and only if, he is really innocent and not involved, then the legal process and the NFL's position on his status did him serious financial harm. So IMHO, it would be the right thing to do to let him into the supplemental draft, if, and only if, he is completely cleared or wrongdoing.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ finally someone that agrees with me

Not only did the NFL screw him if he is innocent they screwed the NFL teams. Right now one team will get a random first round pick for free if he is innocent and it is cleared up soon.

If someone had gambled a pick on him then that would also have been due to the NFL's decision

Some people disagree with me and thinks that setting a precedent that letting someone involved in a murder investigation go to supplemental will suddenly also apply to people that woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I fail to understand how this works but I am also outraged when recently kids have been suspended for playing with IMAGINARY guns in school. I am clearly not cut out for zero tolerance / zero thinking rules....

crosfam

Reaction score
I know I am thinking too far ahead in the future because the legal system has to play out, but it is unfair for one team to possibly get a 1s round caliber player for a minimum contract, just because they may have been nicer to him, maybe called him up and taken him to dinner the day after the draft to talk about the possibilities (Rex Ryan and the Bills). Very good business decision for a minimal investment - a plane ride and dinner bill.

Due to the Frank Clark draft, we probably could not afford the PR of drafting him in the 7th round - which might have been smart as not all our rookies will make our team and we probably did not need all the picks.

Basis4day

Reaction score
crosfam":wt08frxz said:
I know I am thinking too far ahead in the future because the legal system has to play out, but it is unfair for one team to possibly get a 1s round caliber player for a minimum contract, just because they may have been nicer to him, maybe called him up and taken him to dinner the day after the draft to talk about the possibilities (Rex Ryan and the Bills). Very good business decision for a minimal investment - a plane ride and dinner bill.

Due to the Frank Clark draft, we probably could not afford the PR of drafting him in the 7th round - which might have been smart as not all our rookies will make our team and we probably did not need all the picks.

It's definitely not unfair and pretty common when trying to get free agents.

Is it unfair when the Seahawks literally fly in a player on a FA visit in a seaplane and land at the VMAC on a sunny day?

Basis4day

Reaction score
mikeak":20j4j61u said:
^ completely different and you know it

Rookie salary cap is the huge difference

Is that for me? Maybe i confused what was "unfair". I read it as is it unfair that the Bills specifically might get the player over other teams (Rather than say, us). Was in meant to be unfair to the player? If so i read it wrong.

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":l2dkhs2v said:
mikeak":l2dkhs2v said:

Is that for me? Maybe i confused what was "unfair". I read it as is it unfair that the Bills specifically might get the player over other teams (Rather than say, us). Was in meant to be unfair to the player? If so i read it wrong.

I read it like you. That it is unfair for other teams not unfair for the player (it is unfair for the player but that is a separate discussion).

It is different from FA. There is a level playing field for all Free Agents in that they are available to all teams as a group and what you can pay will mostly dictate if you get them. What you can pay is tied to how you manage your salary cap etc.

Now everyone can pay the same and randomly or by cheating the rules one team will get what equals a first round draft pick for free. The guy will be under very low salary for 2 years.

Basis4day

Reaction score
mikeak":cdnuzr0s said:
Basis4day":cdnuzr0s said:
mikeak":cdnuzr0s said:

I read it like you. That it is unfair for other teams not unfair for the player (it is unfair for the player but that is a separate discussion).

It is different from FA. There is a level playing field for all Free Agents in that they are available to all teams as a group and what you can pay will mostly dictate if you get them. What you can pay is tied to how you manage your salary cap etc.

Now everyone can pay the same and randomly or by cheating the rules one team will get what equals a first round draft pick for free. The guy will be under very low salary for 2 years.

I just don't see it that way. Since every team effectively can offer him the same compensation (for the first two years anyway) it is entirely on the player to decide which team he wants to play for. Teams need to rely on their program, blocking scheme, and long term financial situation to try and get a player. It's not random, they just took immediate money out of the equation. Im in the camp that believes money is the most important factor for a player in FA, but not the only one. Otherwise, all players would only go to the highest bidder.

I don't really see where cheating the rules comes into play. All players are members of the NFLPA and they need to report all extra compensation (endorsements) to that body. The NFL will keep a close eye on whichever team ends up with him.
This guys financials are going to be so scrutinized i have a hard time believing hes going to get paid under the table or any sort of cheating.

mikeak

Reaction score
sorry I didn't mean to say there will be money under the table

Perks and promises for the future - absolutely