1st Round, Pick #31, Germain ifedi, Tackle, Texas A&M

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
vonstout":1iknapc3 said:
FlyHawksFly":1iknapc3 said:
vonstout":1iknapc3 said:
mikeak":1iknapc3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/725910509971591169[/tweet]

If we could have had Dallas' 2nd and 3rd (4th pick in the second and the third), I would have preferred that. Ifedi may not have made it 4 picks down, so that would have been a risky move, but we would have been picking early in the 3rth instead of late.

We wouldn't have had a 1st round pick then?? Denver's deal was much better.

Look at the trade value chart (Harvard):

Pick 26 is worth 700

Pick 31 and 94 : 600 + 124

Pick 34 and 67 : 560 + 255

It's not even close. The Browns and Titans pick before Dallas and it's unlikely that either would have taken Ifedi and we would have moved up from 94 to 67 in the third round.

We get a fifth year option on a player with a very high ceiling plus you don't know that Ifedi wouldn't have been taken, we seemed to think Cleveland wanted him. We also prevented a conference rival from potentially getting stronger.

pehawk

Reaction score
Read a crazy tweet that Germain was almost 100% flawless on 3rd downs.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
In my opinion, This thread is a wonderful thing. I see a lot of hemming and hawing about the pick and A LOT of great things done by the front office. I also see some Negatives which are expected. NO worries on both takes. But as I smile while reading this thread, I see the comedic value too. Great comparisons of people past and presently on the team. I also want to thank you guys for providing insight as to why we traded down for a later pick and added one. I can see why we went that direction instead of 4 or 5 other directions. Tote boards of what our needs are compared to tote boards of what other teams need is very important to determination as to who are your best trade partners in the draft.

Again, I want to thank those with the knowledge of what we got and those others for the amusement.

Go Hawks

themunn

Reaction score
vonstout":36jduusu said:
Look at the trade value chart (Harvard):

Pick 26 is worth 700

Pick 31 and 94 : 600 + 124

Pick 34 and 67 : 560 + 255

It's not even close. The Browns and Titans pick before Dallas and it's unlikely that either would have taken Ifedi and we would have moved up from 94 to 67 in the third round.

Trade value chart is garbage.

Would you rather have the 1st overall pick (3,000) or the 31st (620), 32nd (600), 33rd (590), 34th (580) and 35th (560) picks (total 2,950)?

Rat

Reaction score
I think we're going to regret passing on Nkemdiche. He's going to be Arizona's next Dockett/Mathieu.

I wanted Noah Spence when the 31 came up. Ifedi is fine. I don't like first round OL, but if they felt they had to go that direction, we got a pretty good one.

pehawk

Reaction score
His frame and build is worth a #31 pick alone. If Cable and Pete think they can reach him, getting his competitive juices flowing, then its a steal.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree Rat, but I LIKE 1st round OL. They actually PLAYED ol in college and this guy will start from day 1.

Basically, we got him for FREE since we picked up a very nice 3rd, were still sitting at 9 picks and have a starter for the O-Line, Bravo Mr. Schneider.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
People forget just how awful or OL really was.

If we can improve from awful to adequate on our weakest positional need, all else being equal, we're in the Super Bowl.

Taking Nkemdiche still means we're prone to weakness on offense.

SaskHawk

Reaction score
I like this trade/pick on a number of fronts.

1st, we got the guy we wanted (I assume).
2nd, we picked up a 3rd rounder which in this deep draft could maybe considered a 2nd rounder in any other year?
3rd, we are getting a guy who isn't coming from the other side of the ball who has to convert
4th, we never traded with an in conference team thus making them stronger at QB for years to come(this is important imo)
5th, the guy is very raw and can be coached to become much better than where he was picked. Assuming the coaches see this.

Great first day in my books! :th2thumbs:

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":1cfvfmzi said:
His frame and build is worth a #31 pick alone. If Cable and Pete think they can reach him, getting his competitive juices flowing, then its a steal.

The good news is that Ifedi is already very competitive. Motivation is not the problem. Coaching is. Cable is pretty confident in this one, calling the issues "easy to fix".

Rocket

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":10ouwi67 said:
we got worse today relatively, we didn't have to do that

1) what does "we got worse today, relatively" mean. Are you seriously predicting the future? Einstein an in-law?
2) We didn't have to do it, but we did it. Breathe. Cable likes the dude, and this is Cables o-line.

He's an actual o-line dude. I think that makes the dude special, he isn't a project, he can play next year for sure, possibly now. ( wink ).

Wait 'till 94 comes around and do an cumulative comparison since there was a theoretical relative done earlier. See how it goes then !!

AgentDib

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3tasa3gl said:
He simply did not grade well at all, finishing with a negative pass-blocking grade a season ago.
PFF's analysis is based on how players performed in college and as such their biggest concern is that "his technique isn’t close to an NFL level yet." The thing is you can teach technique but you can't teach Ifedi's size, athleticism and length. He was drafted based on development potential and so an evaluation of him based on college performance completely misses the upside. There are tons of other sources which correctly factor in potential that like the selection.

Rocket

Reaction score
mikeak":zp0ykup6 said:
One thing to note. The LAST pick in the third round is kind of like a fourth round pick...

So let's not generalize and just say third round is great value. It is basically an early fourth round
No, it's in the third round. This is science, yo.
Duh

mikeak

Reaction score
Chapow":1fpta65h said:
mikeak":1fpta65h said:
One thing to note. The LAST pick in the third round is kind of like a fourth round pick...

So let's not generalize and just say third round is great value. It is basically an early fourth round

Nobody is generalizing. Getting a 3rd round pick for moving down 5 spots at the very end of the 1st round is great value. Especially if they got the guy they wanted anyway and they may very well have done just that.

And it doesn't matter what you want to call it. You can call it "basically an early fourth" if you want, but the fact is, it is a 3rd round pick.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the first pick in round 4 basically a 3rd round pick or is it only the other way around?

It works both ways

The difference between someone giving me $19.99 and $20.01 is $0.02 and not $10

Same principle

A poster above points out the fifth year option value by staying in the first round. Something I had forgot which is very valuable especially for an OL that needs some coaching.

I am not complaining about the deal. I saw going with Denver vs Dallas more as an indication that we really had our eyes on a player that we thought would get picked if we moved down fuether