1st Round, Pick #31, Germain ifedi, Tackle, Texas A&M

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
The best part about this pick was that we got another pick in the 3rd.... and like schneider said, the third round will be fun!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
You know, the more I watch this, I'm kind of realizing that we actually drafted a real NFL talent RT this time. Not a kid who played on the left and had to be moved, but an actual natural kick drop or kick slide for the right side of the line. One of the reports I read said that he has more of a kick stomp than anything and gave that info in the negative portion, but what I'm seeing is that he's quick to put his feet back on the ground instead of spending a higher percentage of the time on one foot. Seems obvious, but what this does is keep him anchored. And dude shuffles those feet really well too. I watched some speed rushers try to get outside of him and he seems to easily push them not only wide, but very wide.

He might not win the RT job right away, but I actually think we have our tackle combo for the next few years with huge, huge upside.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2pmxiwf4 said:
Basis4day":2pmxiwf4 said:
[vine]iPrHV2BpOn2[/vine]
Ah, yes. One of the Jumping Jews of Jerusalem.

Pretty much the most accurate comment and funny as hell - I was at a board meeting, which was good as well (profits and all that jazz) - this comment pretty much made me pee in my pants.

Edit: Like the white boy just got job security.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'd say that I've gained more faith in .NET with this thread. Of course there are going to be detractors; there always are. But the fact that the majority of folks in this thread like this pick is music to my ears.

Moving back five spots, gaining another third round pick, and drafting one of the best offensive linemen in the draft is a huge grab for the Seahawks. Ifedi fills a need. There is no doubt in my mind that he is an upgrade to our offensive line. He was probably very high on the Seahawks' board, and they gained another early round draft pick in the process. I honestly don't understand how anyone could complain about this.

Whoever is comparing him to James Carpenter needs to stop. It's such an asinine, lazy comparison. Watch some film - they don't look at all like the same player. Completely different bodies and techniques. Seriously, it's just lazy, downtrodden analysis. Just stop.

Welcome to Seattle, Germain!

Chapow

Reaction score
mikeak":1wp6d40p said:
One thing to note. The LAST pick in the third round is kind of like a fourth round pick...

So let's not generalize and just say third round is great value. It is basically an early fourth round

Nobody is generalizing. Getting a 3rd round pick for moving down 5 spots at the very end of the 1st round is great value. Especially if they got the guy they wanted anyway and they may very well have done just that.

And it doesn't matter what you want to call it. You can call it "basically an early fourth" if you want, but the fact is, it is a 3rd round pick.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the first pick in round 4 basically a 3rd round pick or is it only the other way around?

sutz

Reaction score
Draft value charts are highly overrated. Sure, they provide guidelines, but they're just numbers and don't reflect the actual value a team might place on a player due to things like how he fits our scheme and such. And staying in the 1st round might be huge if Ifedi pans out and we can use the 5th year option on him.

Screw the charts, I like the deal and the pick. :p

AgentDib

Reaction score
Well the deal is also a win according to the trade charts. As I posted in the draft forum thread it's a decent gain (+24) according to the traditional chart and a large gain (+87) according to the Harvard chart.

What draft value estimates fail to account for is positional scarcity and team needs. Denver "overpaid" because they were getting a QB they felt they needed and there was competition for it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kearly":33n6d4eb said:
Today went about about as well as I could have hoped.

The Seahawks avoided making a "WHO?!!" pick in the first round, which is always a plus. And they picked up a 3rd rounder in the process. Ifedi was among my top five favorite options, I've liked him ever since I saw him looking like the most impressive player in the combine drills. I like the pick.

I also liked that Arizona lit their pick on fire by selecting Nkemdiche. And it was fun watching the 49ers trade back up into the first round (costing them a 4th and a 6th) to reach hard for a guard that makes John Moffitt look athletic in comparison. And while I think Buckner and Goff are solid players, I don't think they are quite as good as their draft position would suggest.

Seattle avoided landmines today. I don't think Arizona and SF can say the same. The Seahawks also gained a pretty nice draft pick, while the 49ers lost some.

He plays at a position of great need so that at least is positive. If we were picking a squad for a track squad he would be even better but this sparq crap doesn't seem to translate as well to protecting the QB. The write ups say that he isn't particularly good in pass protection or run blocking but he is huge and has good feet. He comes out of a bad system for o line so hopefully Cable and company can live up to hype and coach this one up before they get Russell Wilson killed.

Maybe Joe Thuney is a possibility with one of our later picks? He isn't as big a sparq guy but he has played multiple possitions on the Oline and has actually excelledin protection and in the run game. He shut down Clemson's Shaq Lawson head to head and he is smart.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3k9by2sc said:
kearly":3k9by2sc said:

The Seahawks avoided making a "WHO?!!" pick in the first round, which is always a plus. And they picked up a 3rd rounder in the process. Ifedi was among my top five favorite options, I've liked him ever since I saw him looking like the most impressive player in the combine drills. I like the pick.

I also liked that Arizona lit their pick on fire by selecting Nkemdiche. And it was fun watching the 49ers trade back up into the first round (costing them a 4th and a 6th) to reach hard for a guard that makes John Moffitt look athletic in comparison. And while I think Buckner and Goff are solid players, I don't think they are quite as good as their draft position would suggest.

Seattle avoided landmines today. I don't think Arizona and SF can say the same. The Seahawks also gained a pretty nice draft pick, while the 49ers lost some.

He plays at a position of great need so that at least is positive. If we were picking a squad for a track squad he would be even better but this sparq crap doesn't seem to translate as well to protecting the QB. The write ups say that he isn't particularly good in pass protection or run blocking but he is huge and has good feet. He comes out of a bad system for o line so hopefully Cable and company can live up to hype and coach this one up before they get Russell Wilson killed.

Maybe Joe Thuney is a possibility with one of our later picks? He isn't as big a sparq guy but he has played multiple possitions on the Oline and has actually excelledin protection and in the run game. He shut down Clemson's Shaq Lawson head to head and he is smart.
Having good technique is a start, but honestly I do not think that is the main thing coaches, and GM's look for in a player. Every player is flawed coming out of college. There is something in their game that could be fixed, or perhaps a concept that was not covered in a particular system they were in. It is up to the NFL GM's and coaches to decide whether or not the prospective draftees fit into the system. What this means is NFL coaches and GM's are looking at what kind of player they can mold the draftee into. Part of that evaluation is how well do they think this player can be coached, how well can this players bad habits be fixed?

When I look at our draft pick, Ifedi I see a player that can become a very good O-Lineman. He's mobile, and strong, but he is unrefined. It is also important to mention that he played in a simplistic system. I was just watching some footage of him against Alabama, I was definitely able to tell why he was a first rounder. Ifedi picked up the stunts nicely, and was rarely fooled by Alabama's trickery. He seemed to have a good sense what was going to be thrown at him, and where he needed to be. He was always aware of when his quarterback was scrambling. His technique was not the best, but from just watching that one game you can tell that he has a really good sense of what is going on, and what is coming at him. His flaws all look like issues that can be fixed with good coaching.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Wow, way more detractors than I'd anticipated. He probably instantly becomes our best O-lineman, and he's got a ceiling higher than all of them. 9 more picks in this draft, we could have some great O-line competition by the end of it. Would expect us to take a couple more, maybe three if things fall into place.

Excited for that extra 3rd too, there should be excellent value to be had with our picks tonight. And the opportunity to spend a pick on a Myles Jack might present itself.

Reaction score
Rob12":o41mp04b said:
Whoever is comparing him to James Carpenter needs to stop. It's such an asinine, lazy comparison. Watch some film - they don't look at all like the same player. Completely different bodies and techniques. Seriously, it's just lazy, downtrodden analysis. Just stop.

Welcome to Seattle, Germain!
I made a post in the draft thread about this feeling like a Carpenter pick. I wasn't really comparing them to be like the same type of player. I was comparing it to how I felt about the pick. I was not overly excited about this pick or the Carpenter pic. I Don't know if this is really directed to that post or not.

However in terms of how I feel about the pick its self. I wasn't real happy about the Carp pick but I know we needed ol at the time just like we need ol now and the Carp pick and this pick totally makes sense for our club moving forward. It just is not the sexy pick and I know there were some players still available at the time that would of been a more exciting pick. No ol men are exciting (except maybe Walter Jones or Orlando Pace or something)but we all know we need them and they have a heavy impact in the game.

I Also stated in the post that this pick was probably a smart move in the long run. Some people maybe feel like that I don't know. They are two totally different players that have two different styles. Again in terms of how I felt like :Dunno: like ehh.
I wasn't really comparing the players. Again not saying your calling me out personally or nothing. Im just clarifying how I felt about the pick Im like so so with it. Overall I think we need ol help and Im glad we got a o lineman. That third rounder helps in terms of how I feel about moving back as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6991j1ix said:
JSeahawks":6991j1ix said:
Basis4day":6991j1ix said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/725881904830943232[/tweet]

A 3rd is pretty good for 5 spots at this point.

You won't be saying that when an offensive tackle gets taken.

I can see it now: "That third rounder cost us our big chance to upgrade the OL. Yay for more UDFA scrubs for Cable to train up."

OOPS

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":wnxag8ku said:
kearly":wnxag8ku said:

The write up says really that's the reason you don't like Ifedi . These are the same people that said Sherman couldn't cover in the NFL . Let me tell you something O-lineman with Ifedi's size and athletic ability are exactly the ones you target did you see his combine have you actually seen him play a full game. Something tells me you haven't.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
"1. Seattle Seahawks: Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

To say we differed from the Seahawks’ assessment of Ifedi, their selection at No. 31 overall, is an understatement. Ifedi had a sixth-round grade on our big board and was our 12th overall tackle in the class. He simply did not grade well at all, finishing with a negative pass-blocking grade a season ago. Sure, he is strong, and has a fantastic frame for the position, but his technique is nowhere near an NFL level yet. It will take him a few years to even get to an NFL starter’s level, and then at that point the Seahawks will have to break out the checkbook for his second contract."

Still better than UDFA defensive line converts. I can't speak for others but even though I do like the pick from a position of need standpoint almost all if not all of the evals on this guy say he is raw and needs coaching. In that sense the worry is not really about him as it is about trusting Cable's ability to provide that coaching. At least this guy won't be comming from the other side of the ball. He is athletic and unquestionably huge. I'd say this pick should stand as a referendum on Tom Cables abilities as an Oline developer.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":12r5xcu8 said:
"1. Seattle Seahawks: Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

To say we differed from the Seahawks’ assessment of Ifedi, their selection at No. 31 overall, is an understatement. Ifedi had a sixth-round grade on our big board and was our 12th overall tackle in the class. He simply did not grade well at all, finishing with a negative pass-blocking grade a season ago. Sure, he is strong, and has a fantastic frame for the position, but his technique is nowhere near an NFL level yet. It will take him a few years to even get to an NFL starter’s level, and then at that point the Seahawks will have to break out the checkbook for his second contract."

Still better than UDFA defensive line converts. I can't speak for others but even though I do like the pick from a position of need standpoint almost all if not all of the evals on this guy say he is raw and needs coaching. In that sense the worry is not really about him as it is about trusting Cable's ability to provide that coaching. At least this guy won't be comming from the other side of the ball. He is athletic and unquestionably huge. I'd say this pick should stand as a referendum on Tom Cables abilities as an Oline developer.

Says who SF's FO ,I know you were in love with that sloppy overrated Kelly but just stop.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Laloosh":17t36k1z said:
mikeak":17t36k1z said:
vonstout":17t36k1z said:
mikeak":17t36k1z said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/725910509971591169[/tweet]

If we could have had Dallas' 2nd and 3rd (4th pick in the second and the third), I would have preferred that. Ifedi may not have made it 4 picks down, so that would have been a risky move, but we would have been picking early in the 3rth instead of late.

Obviously a 2nd and 3rd early is better than a late 3rd which tells me the team had one or a few players clearly worth more than what was next on the board. They were clearly not willing to move down from those which I interpret as they got who they wanted plus another pick.

Hoping we all love the decision in 6 months!!
How is a 2nd and 3rd of any kind better than keeping a first and getting an extra 3rd? Am I just tired and missing the obvious? 1st and 3rd > 2nd and 3rd, no?

Because the choices were trade down 5 spots for the 90th pick or trade down 9 spots for the 65th pick. So moving back 4 extra spots would have moved our 3rd rd pick up 25 spots.

Cad

Reaction score
Defense wins championships, but so does buying your QB 2 seconds in the pocket. If Denver had Seattle's O-Line, they would have hauled Peyton Manning out of the Super Bowl in an ambulance.

vonstout

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1gzszaf7 said:
vonstout":1gzszaf7 said:
mikeak":1gzszaf7 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/725910509971591169[/tweet]

If we could have had Dallas' 2nd and 3rd (4th pick in the second and the third), I would have preferred that. Ifedi may not have made it 4 picks down, so that would have been a risky move, but we would have been picking early in the 3rth instead of late.

We wouldn't have had a 1st round pick then?? Denver's deal was much better.

Look at the trade value chart (Harvard):

Pick 26 is worth 700

Pick 31 and 94 : 600 + 124

Pick 34 and 67 : 560 + 255

It's not even close. The Browns and Titans pick before Dallas and it's unlikely that either would have taken Ifedi and we would have moved up from 94 to 67 in the third round.