1st Timer HC v Retread HC?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’d prefer an up and comer instead of a retread. I want someone fresh that will make the team fun to watch (even in their better years over the last 8 they have been no fun to watch) and instead of “loyalty at all costs” and “protected friends of the coach” I want winners kept and losers cut.

A 1st time coach for me please and NOT DQ

Fade

Reaction score
Yes.

For the most part, the young coaches are running circles around the old guys.

Hiring a coach over the age of 45 would be a mistake.

Hiring younger coaches became trendy with McVay back in 2017, but so many teams have seen success with it since, it's become the new standard.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would be up for Antonio Pierce, if he can plug a hole in the Titantic and make them look good going forward then he can take a team with talent and push it into more than the wild card and out.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
The thing is, they're far more likely to hire a young guy because Schneider has assumed control. From Schneider's perspective, he's not going to want someone like Harbaugh or maybe even Vrabel who will potential challenge him in key decisions. A younger guy who is more about the on-field performance rather than roster construction is probably why they go with a younger hire.

chris98251

Reaction score
John has had success both here and in Green Bay, Ron Wolfe disciple, he has seen what works and what don't, he wants someone that isn't going to be difficult to work with, someone that he can collaborate with. So saying that he will do background on how well they work with others and balance that with work ethic and player development also.

Raifers

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with retread. Of the last 10 Super Bowl winning coaches, 8 of them have been a coach on his 2nd+ team. 8 out of 11 if you go one year further. If you go back a few more years it gets closer to 500.

Just hire whoever JS thinks is best for the team.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with retread. Of the last 10 Super Bowl winning coaches, 8 of them have been a coach on his 2nd+ team. 8 out of 11 if you go one year further. If you go back a few more years it gets closer to 500.

Just hire whoever JS thinks is best for the team.

Andy Reid (pat mahomes x2)
Sean McVay (first job, stafford)
Bruce Arians (tom brady)
Bill Belichick (tom brady x3)
Doug Pederson (first job, wentz)
Gary Kubiak (peyton manning)
Pete Carroll (10 year gap, rw)
John Harbaugh (first job, flacco)
Tom Coughlin (eli manning)
Mike McCarthy (first job, rodgers)
Sean Payton (first job, brees)

Out of the last 11 Super Bowl winning coaches, 5 of them were on their first job.

Out of the last 11 Super Bowl winning coaches who had previous jobs, 5/6 of them coached a HOF QB in that SB.

Out of the last 11 Super Bowl winning coaches who were on their first job, only 3/5 of them coached HOF QBs.

8/11 SB winners had HOF QBs.

So, I guess this adds to your point. What we want for our best chance to win a SB is a HOF QB.

Out of the 3 non HOF SB winning QBs, 2/3 of them were from first-job coaches.

GemCity

Reaction score
Bruce Arians (tom brady)

Out of the last 11 Super Bowl winning coaches, 5 of them were on their first job.

Out of the last 11 Super Bowl winning coaches who had previous jobs, 5/6 of them coached a HOF QB in that SB.

Out of the last 11 Super Bowl winning coaches who were on their first job, only 3/5 of them coached HOF QBs.

So, I guess this adds to your point. What we want for our best chance to win a SB is a HOF QB.

Very interesting!

Raifers

Reaction score
Bruce Arians (tom brady)

Nice! I just didn’t want to do all that research on my phone. Yes my 3 out of the past 11 is super bowls (Reid and BB won multiple times) where a coach may have won multiple times.

The next stat that I want to touch on since HOFQB has been mentioned, I don’t think any QB has won AGAIN on a massive contract. From memory Brady has always taken less. I think Mahomes won twice on his rookie deal? Thats why I feel if you stack the rest of your roster correctly you can win with a pg

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Bruce Arians (tom brady)

Kind of some context missing here though: Tom Coughlin's first Super Bowl with Eli came while dude was leading a bottom 10 passing offense (Super Bowl heroics aside). Minus that previous victory, he's not even considered a candidate for HOF.

And Gary Kubiak dragged Peyton Manning's battered corpse to a Super Bowl...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yes.

For the most part, the young coaches are running circles around the old guys.

Hiring a coach over the age of 45 would be a mistake.

Hiring younger coaches became trendy with McVay back in 2017, but so many teams have seen success with it since, it's become the new standard.
Age of Super Bowl winning head coaches excluding Brady and Belichick teams, this century:

2002 - 38
2005 - 48*
2006 - 51
2007 - 61
2008 - 36
2009 - 46
2010 - 48
2011 - 66
2012 - 50
2013 - 62
2015 - 54
2017 - 49
2019 - 61
2021 - 36
2022 - 65

So even without hoodie and the blowfish inflating things, there really isn't overwhelming evidence of such a new standard amongst teams who go all the way. Experience and having been to the big game environment, on the other hand, can go a long way in deep January campaigns.

On the other hand, plenty of Mike McDaniels out there amongst the new bloods.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Age = 39

Son of Bill Callahan.

After graduating from UCLA in 2006, Callahan served as a graduate assistant for football operations in 2006 and 2007. He earned a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology, earned a spot on the Director's Honor Roll (3.00 or better grade-point average) several times and also served as co-chair of the Bruin Athletic Council.
Prior to UCLA, Callahan played high school football at De La Salle in Concord, California. He was part of the team's 151-game winning streak where he was the backup quarterback to former Michigan and Idaho State signal caller Matt Gutierrez.

Denver Broncos
Brian Callahan began his NFL coaching career with the Denver Broncos in 2010 as a coaching assistant. He held various positions with the team through the 2015 NFL season. He was part of the Broncos staff when the team won Super Bowl 50 over the Carolina Panthers.

Worked with Peyton Manning during his best statistical years.

Detroit Lions
Callahan was hired by the Detroit Lions as quarterbacks coach in February 2016.

Worked with Matthew Stafford during his best statistical years.

Oakland Raiders
Callahan was hired by the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach in January 2018.

Worked with Derek Carr during his best statistical years.

Cincinnati Bengals
Callahan was hired as the Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator on February 7, 2019.

Worked with Joe Burrow and Jake Browning during their best statistical years.

Last edited:

xray

Reaction score
Shiny and new would be refreshing .