Hoping for Dallas win and Detroit loss

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Ordinarily I’d feel the opposite.

I’d love Detroit to have a deep run in the playoffs, they’ve been a fun team to watch this year. Dallas losing, to me, is just funny given that every year is Dallas’ year.

However, things are different now.

With Seattle in the hunt for a head coach who becomes available and when is important. I, personally, do not want Dan Quinn as the Seahawks next coach. I’ve mentioned previously that having any kind of Pete retread is a less than optimal idea or that how his numbers as a DC is inflated when he’s given generational talent but his defenses (Atlanta) were very average at best.

I just think that Seattle should go 100% new direction. Not a new coat of paint, or only 50% new, top to bottom new.

This is why I mention Detroit.

The more I read about and learn about Ben Johnson the more I want him as the new Seahawks head coach. Young, offensive oriented, successful, well spoken, has taken a poor Lions offensive with similar tools to Seattle and made them the 5th best offense. Why not do that here? Right now, Seattle has significantly more identity in the offense than defense and that should be nurtured by an offensive minded talented coach who can get the most out of them.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The Seahawks are not an impulsive "knee jerk" kinda organization. They will wait as needed for their candidates, and playoff performances should factor in not an iota.

Fan impatience is no reason this has to happen too fast...

Besides, I'd rather have a Ben Johnson that won a superb owl or at least gotten to the NFCCG, than one who was a first round bounce.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I’ve mentioned previously that having any kind of Pete retread is a less than optimal idea or that how his numbers as a DC is inflated when he’s given generational talent but his defenses (Atlanta) were very average at best

Today I learned that the Legion of Boom was very average at best.

Wanting the Seahawks organization to move on is one thing, but this is just emotionalism and kinda bordering on making it personal.

OP
OP
Seahawk_Dan

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Today I learned that the Legion of Boom was very average at best.

Wanting the Seahawks organization to move on is one thing, but this is just emotionalism and kinda bordering on making it personal.
I didn’t say the LOB was average. I said, and you quoted it, that Quinn as a DC numbers are inflated when he has generational talent, ie most of the LOB and in Dallas he has Micah Parsons, Trevon Diggs, DeMarcus Lawrence.

His time in Atlanta the defense was ranked; 22nd, 15th, 5th, 25th, and 21st. Of the five seasons there is one outlier, 2017. What happened? Oh they went to the Super Bowl and, well, we all know what happened. After that his offensive coordinator, Kyle Shannahan left to SF and after that not only did the Falcons defense not get better but now their offense tanked too.

The problem is that Quinn was supposed to have a transformative effect on the defense. He comes from a defensive background, having playing on the defensive line at Salisbury State University in the early 1990s. He coached defense for various college and pro teams for 2 decades before the Falcons hired him as head coach. He famously coached the Legion of Boom in Seattle, although in retrospect, Quinn was basically just handed the keys to a Ferrari and asked not to wreck it. - James Rael, thefalcoholic.com

Remember, Quinn was the Dline coach here in 2009, pre-LOB, the Run Defense was ranked 15th and tied for last in sacks with 28.
I’m not being emotional. I’ve watched Atlanta and read how their fans about his tenure as their HC. I’m going off how he’s performed and how those teams performed.

I don’t appreciate being called emotional asking for something new and different. It’s a lazy snipe and meaningless to even pretend that’s what I was implying in my post.

Wanting things to be the way they use to be and looking at a coach or player nostalgically, I’d say that’s more emotional and have a hard time letting the past go. But! I’m not a therapist, I’m just a guy in the internet.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nah, I am rolling with my fandom over coach watch. Go Lions! I hope they destroy the Rams. Go Packers! I hate the Packers but hate the Cowboys more.

Bring Harbaugh in as our new coach and watch us roll into late January every year.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm rooting for Detroit to go all way. Their fanbase deserves it. I hope they can knock out Dallas and SF.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
I personally am trying to understand people that are initially jumping on the idea of bringing back old Seahawks coaches right away.

I saw some saying we should bring back Quinn, Bradley, and Shotty.

Is there a sense that all of these would excel without Pete here?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Nah I hope the Cowboys lose. Cowboys fans are too much. Not even joking, had a Cowboys fan see me wearing my Seahawks hat yesterday (it was black and white with no other color) and he goes "You know the Eagles aren't winning the Superbowl right?" And unfortunately this wasn't the first time someone mistook my seahawks hat for an eagles hat so I instantly said "Good thing this is a Seahawks hat" and his reply? "Oh, the Seahawks DEFINITELY ain't winning the Superbowl"

Yeah no shit dude, I hope the Packers beat you by two touchdowns.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Nah I hope the Cowboys lose. Cowboys fans are too much. Not even joking, had a Cowboys fan see me wearing my Seahawks hat yesterday (it was black and white with no other color) and he goes "You know the Eagles aren't winning the Superbowl right?" And unfortunately this wasn't the first time someone mistook my seahawks hat for an eagles hat so I instantly said "Good thing this is a Seahawks hat" and his reply? "Oh, the Seahawks DEFINITELY ain't winning the Superbowl"

Yeah no shit dude, I hope the Packers beat you by two touchdowns.
I too hate the Cowboys, but if it comes down to a Cowboys vs 49ers NFCCG, I will root for them, because the only teams I hate worse than the Cowboys are the 49ers and Rams. If I had to root for the 9ers or Rams, I'd go with the Rams, but really their my 2nd most hated team. The only thing I like about the Rams are their Unis, and only since they lost that old ugly gold color scheme and went back to the yellow and lighter blue.

GemCity

Reaction score
What I think: SF vs Baltimore

What I hope: Detroit vs Cleveland with no preference on the winner. Both fanbases have suffered for a long, long time.

Maybe a small edge to Cleveland as I live in Ohio.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
What I think: SF vs Baltimore

What I hope: Detroit vs Cleveland with no preference on the winner. Both fanbases have suffered for a long, long time.

Maybe a small edge to Cleveland as I live in Ohio.
Now that's a take I agree with. I would root for the Lions though. I have always had a fondness for Detroit, it was Barry Sanders, most fun player to watch ever IMO...

GemCity

Reaction score
Now that's a take I agree with. I would root for the Lions though. I have always had a fondness for Detroit, it was Barry Sanders, most fun player to watch ever IMO...
Agreed! Definitely one of my favorites. I pull up YouTube clips of him all the time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So sorry OP I want the Lions to win. I truly despise the Rams. Seeing GB roll over the 'boys would be fun to watch.

The Jerrah would 'scheist in da hosen'. Quinn might be available talk earlier. Maybe McCarthy as well.

OP
OP
Seahawk_Dan

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
So sorry OP I want the Lions to win. I truly despise the Rams. Seeing GB roll over the 'boys would be fun to watch.

The Jerrah would 'scheist in da hosen'. Quinn might be available talk earlier. Maybe McCarthy as well.
And I get it, I really do and if the Lions win and Dallas loses, in the grand scheme that’s fine. It’s just the idea of getting the jump on Ben Johnson.

Raifers

Reaction score
I didn’t say the LOB was average. I said, and you quoted it, that Quinn as a DC numbers are inflated when he has generational talent, ie most of the LOB and in Dallas he has Micah Parsons, Trevon Diggs, DeMarcus Lawrence.

His time in Atlanta the defense was ranked; 22nd, 15th, 5th, 25th, and 21st. Of the five seasons there is one outlier, 2017. What happened? Oh they went to the Super Bowl and, well, we all know what happened. After that his offensive coordinator, Kyle Shannahan left to SF and after that not only did the Falcons defense not get better but now their offense tanked too.

The problem is that Quinn was supposed to have a transformative effect on the defense. He comes from a defensive background, having playing on the defensive line at Salisbury State University in the early 1990s. He coached defense for various college and pro teams for 2 decades before the Falcons hired him as head coach. He famously coached the Legion of Boom in Seattle, although in retrospect, Quinn was basically just handed the keys to a Ferrari and asked not to wreck it. - James Rael, thefalcoholic.com

Remember, Quinn was the Dline coach here in 2009, pre-LOB, the Run Defense was ranked 15th and tied for last in sacks with 28.
I’m not being emotional. I’ve watched Atlanta and read how their fans about his tenure as their HC. I’m going off how he’s performed and how those teams performed.

I don’t appreciate being called emotional asking for something new and different. It’s a lazy snipe and meaningless to even pretend that’s what I was implying in my post.

Wanting things to be the way they use to be and looking at a coach or player nostalgically, I’d say that’s more emotional and have a hard time letting the past go. But! I’m not a therapist, I’m just a guy in the internet.
But if you fix the defense from like last to whatever is reasonable, this past season would have been so much different even with Waldron as OC. Maybe DQ has more experience now and things will be different.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score

I wouldn't be going around expecting the benchmark of a DC to be taking bad talent and making a good defense out of it. That isn't how it works. You have to procure talent.

2009, for example, since you bring it up...not even Dick LeBeau was going to make a solid defense out of Darryl Tapp, Colin Cole, Aaron Curry, and Kelly Jennings. Criticizing a DC for that is just straight-up fallacious.

A bad DC can, however, take real talent and turn it around into a crap sandwich, like Ken Norton and Clint Hurtt have done. But with Quinn, that isn't a problem. He contributed to our Super Bowl run and has Dallas' defense looking solid with the talent there. You're cherry-picking by going after the times in his career where he was saddled with bad talent.