2 things I noticed vs. SF

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Just watching the coaches film right now and Wagner really is just a complete difference maker in the middle. He's extremely disciplined in his gap assignments and is just really hard to block. Many plays look very different from the overhead view behind the offense.

Also, there was a long throw attempted on Sherm that was incomplete early on the first drive. Kam was manned up on Vernon Davis OUTSIDE of Sherm and ran with Vernon Davis step for step and they threw at Sherm instead. Kam looks much faster again over the last couple games and is playing like the equalizer we know.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Dobbs first tackle came from the 5 tech position. The TE bypassed the double team on him and Wagner got the G/TE double team instead.

Dobbs 2nd tackle he was playing 4 tech, head up on the T on the opposite side of the field he was the previous play for the tackle. Red started doing this (4 tech like a 3-4 DE) at times last year when Quinn got here, which was one of his wrinkles.

Both were good plays by Dobbs. One OL proved to be not enough in both cases. Both the RT and LT failed against him in back to back plays.

Polk738

Reaction score
I would say Bobby Wagner is the biggest difference maker, he is pretty much the quarterback of the defense because when he isn't there the other LB's seemed lost and just out of place.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Polk738":p0hkqu0a said:
I would say Bobby Wagner is the biggest difference maker, he is pretty much the quarterback of the defense because when he isn't there the other LB's seemed lost and just out of place.
The latter part seems to be insanely true. I re-watched parts of the KC game as well and KJ and Smith were literally running the wrong way at times. Literally....I'm not even joking.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
For any SF fans that may be lurking, I didn't like taking Boreland anywhere high in the draft. By that I mean within the first 4 rounds or so. Too damn slow.

However, in watching this game in the coaches film there is still a lot to like even though he's slower in a strait line than a glacier, albeit very quick in the short area between the tackles. Pre-snap his knees are almost 90 degrees and post snap that doesn't change much. I keep seeing him defeat blocks by almost going under them. Different, but effective. Extremely good base and balance. Still not a guy you want in space too much in something like a traditional 4-3, but in a 3-4 he usually doesn't have all that much space to cover in the passing game. That said, between the tackles he's a pain in the arse.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Wagner is uber explosive. As shown multiple times in this game. He can go from being on his toes in a zone at almost dead stop and pick up a fast crossing WR and negate it going 0 to 60 extremely fast. We don't have another LB that can do that outside of maybe KPL, but even he isn't as good of an athlete as Wagz.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
In back to back plays the 9ers went trips left with Boldin tight on the first one (the inside guy) and Davis tight on the the 2nd. In the first one Kam didn't fall for it and slapped the ball away on about a 7-8 yard hook. On the 2nd one Kaep skipped it in front of Davis on the very same route because Hill tipped it. That must have been his hot route, but Wagner was right there and I almost wish Hill hadn't tipped it.

Neither player falled for anything, but it also wasn't all that creative either. Each route fell right into their respective zones. Not goo playcalling....it happens to every team. Either way good plays by Kam and Wagz.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
2nd quarter 2 back set with Lynch and Turbin in the shotgun. Was an "option" (probably not really, but just an inside zone to Lynch but had the appearance of an option) to Lynch. Pre-snap the 9ers #57 shows a blitz to the A gap that we're running to more or less. This gives them an overload on that side essentially. Boreland is free to make the tackle with no one touching him.

Me personally, if I KNOW that's the call and I see they have one body too many on that side I audible. Was it too late in the cadence? How can it be too late? False start potential? These things always make me curious about offense and I played RB for a long time. I could see these things myself when lining up in the backfield. Does the QB not have that kind of control or is it circumstantial? At what point do you see that, "Hey, that's 3 on 4 in favor of the defense" and get out of it. As a RB that pissed me off to no end. It's not difficult in the slightest. On an inside zone, you don't have wiggle room to make the free man miss unless you can flat out run him over before the pursuit gets there. Few and far between.

The problem is that all these things are easy in replay, but in reality the LB showed blitz with about 1.5 seconds left before the snap. Before that....wasn't there. Good timing you 9er SOB....

These things happen much faster and with more precision in the NFL.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2jz9o8x2 said:
Largent80":2jz9o8x2 said:
I re-watched the game for the 4th time, this time to focus on players making plays.

1.) Kam Chancellor is playing like last years version. OMG, he was wrecking people all game. The last play of the game he was with 2 other Hawks and just obliterated the 9er. In previous plays he smacked the crap out of Gore, and before that demolished Crabtree....Wow, Also, Bobby Friggin Wagner......Dayum he makes it all happen.

2.) Luke Willson....Holy Schnikies, everytime I focused on him he was making plays, either a block, or blocking/releasing.
Dude had a great game and I think we are set next year with Willson, Moeaki, and Helfet.

These are just a couple, but there are many more. Add if you have any you saw.
That is until Moeaki has his yearly knee blowout.
The injury that forced Kansas City to release him was a freak shoulder injury, he has no particular issue concerning his knees.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
HawkWow":3frgwb21 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3frgwb21 said:
HawkWow":3frgwb21 said:
^ Not if you're "Superman".
The SEC educated Cam Newton recently commented "we all know Hindsight is 50/50".

You can't make this stuff up.

Wow, just freakin' wow.

10x the wow had you witnessed the confidence in his delivery, SD1. ; )

Agent Dib: I enjoy your posts and believe Newton wishes you two shared the same stigmas.

If you guys didn't see that particular interview, I'm sure it's on Youtube. He was looking quite fabulous and dare I say, educated. Fortunately for him he didn't don the non-prescription glasses for that interview. He managed to be all kinds of stupid without them.
Well before we go getting all superior, our ACC-educated safety Kam Chancellor said the exact same thing not too long ago. He corrected himself – presumably after a quizzical look from Danny O'Neil, who I believe was the interviewer – but perhaps they just don't have courses in idioms at Virginia Tech and Auburn.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":mfmemrcf said:
HawkWow":mfmemrcf said:
hawksfansinceday1":mfmemrcf said:
HawkWow":mfmemrcf said:
The SEC educated Cam Newton recently commented "we all know Hindsight is 50/50".

Wow, just freakin' wow.

10x the wow had you witnessed the confidence in his delivery, SD1. ; )

Agent Dib: I enjoy your posts and believe Newton wishes you two shared the same stigmas.

If you guys didn't see that particular interview, I'm sure it's on Youtube. He was looking quite fabulous and dare I say, educated. Fortunately for him he didn't don the non-prescription glasses for that interview. He managed to be all kinds of stupid without them.
Well before we go getting all superior, our ACC-educated safety Kam Chancellor said the exact same thing not too long ago. He corrected himself – presumably after a quizzical look from Danny O'Neil, who I believe was the interviewer – but perhaps they just don't have courses in idioms at Virginia Tech and Auburn.
Some folks get under the camera or other and it's just not their thing. Myself, for instance, am horrible at interviews, but in carrier ethernet I'll out-engineer 100 others before running into any sort of competition in application. I enjoy that part though. There's always something to learn from one's peers. Speaking in front of any sort of microscope what so ever is much the same. You have to do it an be around it to improve for many, many people. I think a lot of our players are more intravert than Sherm, Wilson, and ET. Most of them don't look at all comfortable in front of the camera and need time to be able to grow in that area. Most are just football players and not football players + entertainers.

Personally, I think we pick them apart too much. It's a byproduct of the praise and almost worship that they get, and most, don't ask for. Sure, they're paid for it and all that, but unless the populace is satisfied with players reading from the teleprompter, then the human element very simply dictates that this doesn't change.

What were we talking about again?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Forgive the strange stories and rants in these posts. It's Tuesday and I've been drinking a little Skookum (bourbon(Waitsburg or Tatoosh) and sweet tea(preferably with lemon)). Tired of feeling ill....I know it's not the smartest.

olyfan63

Reaction score
AgentDib":wja296b6 said:
Well hindsight is 50/50 for me also because I immediately forget half of whatever happens or somebody tells me. Sounds like that is a problem for Cam as well.

I thought it was a pretty good Yogi-ism. A Southerner like Cam wouldn't normally be a *Yankee* fan. Who knew Cam had that kind of sense of history and tradition with baseball?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":18066qvz said:
HawkWow":18066qvz said:
Ad Hawk":18066qvz said:
HawkWow":18066qvz said:
With the emergence of Helfert and Moeaki (plus Willson and Zach) I now wonder if McCoy will even be invited to camp next year? For the 1st time since the draft, I am now content with the fact we didn't go ASJ.

I keep seeing this name... who is he? Is this another "Dodd" situation?

LOL..Helfet. Unsure if I called him Helfert before, but probably did. In any event, your point well taken. Disrespectful on my behalf.

No, not at all, HW... I just thought it was funny because I've read Helfert by several on this board. And then I heard one of the announcers during a game call him "Helfret."

I'm just waiting for the inevitable, and juvenile, Helfart.

Well, there... I just did it myself. Juvenile. LOL!

Dammit guys, would you quiet spelling his name wrong?

It's HELL-FIRED . Full name Trooper HELL-FIRED .

There. Glad I settled thet.

I thought that's what the announcers were saying, and on that TD against AZ, for sure he was hell-fired out of a missile silo. Actually it's heli-fired, like from a helicopter, and that's what he looked like going airborne for the TD. Looks like the announcers were right for once.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1036sftw said:
I re-watched the game for the 4th time, this time to focus on players making plays.

1.) Kam Chancellor is playing like last years version. OMG, he was wrecking people all game. The last play of the game he was with 2 other Hawks and just obliterated the 9er. In previous plays he smacked the crap out of Gore, and before that demolished Crabtree....Wow, Also, Bobby Friggin Wagner......Dayum he makes it all happen.

2.) Luke Willson....Holy Schnikies, everytime I focused on him he was making plays, either a block, or blocking/releasing.
Dude had a great game and I think we are set next year with Willson, Moeaki, and Helfet.

These are just a couple, but there are many more. Add if you have any you saw.

Agreed. Absolutely love how this TE deficiency has turned into a positive. Whoduhthunk?

Oandbtw. This 'Hawks "D" is back...Hehehehe, scary good. Superlicious even.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
How about the biggest noticeable thing? The Seahawks defense rubbing some kaepernick huge nose in the pile of shit his offense left on the field. I couldn't tell where the turd ended and Kaep's nose began.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkWow":1bvqrxsx said:

Props to our group of TEs. That of course including Zach ' cuz Zach be our backbone.

With the emergence of Helfert and Moeaki (plus Willson and Zach) I now wonder if McCoy will even be invited to camp next year? For the 1st time since the draft, I am now content with the fact we didn't go ASJ.

I believe both Norwood and Richardson will be featured mightily, or as mightily as any Hawk receivers can be, in our 2015 season. If we can just make due in the interim, I think Russ will have a pretty good group of ball catchers to work with next year. I know mine is an unpopular position, but I sincerely hope we don't use anything more than a mid to late on another receiver (or RB) next spring.

It may be unpopular, but I agree.

I like Willson's progression. We've needed more from him when Miller went down, but I've seen him get a TON better in blocking from last year. Keep in mind, WIllson didn't even start in college, he was behind Vance McDonald. So, he was still learning and catching up on reps from college. The Hawks grabbed him due to his SPARQ score, not from college production.....I want to say he had like 11 receptions his senior year.

In other words, he hasn't hit his ceiling yet and could get a lot better. I also like how Helfet is coming along. He has better hands at this point than Willson.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3q9sabyc said:
2nd quarter 2 back set with Lynch and Turbin in the shotgun. Was an "option" (probably not really, but just an inside zone to Lynch but had the appearance of an option) to Lynch. Pre-snap the 9ers #57 shows a blitz to the A gap that we're running to more or less. This gives them an overload on that side essentially. Boreland is free to make the tackle with no one touching him.

Me personally, if I KNOW that's the call and I see they have one body too many on that side I audible. Was it too late in the cadence? How can it be too late? False start potential? These things always make me curious about offense and I played RB for a long time. I could see these things myself when lining up in the backfield. Does the QB not have that kind of control or is it circumstantial? At what point do you see that, "Hey, that's 3 on 4 in favor of the defense" and get out of it. As a RB that pissed me off to no end. It's not difficult in the slightest. On an inside zone, you don't have wiggle room to make the free man miss unless you can flat out run him over before the pursuit gets there. Few and far between.

The problem is that all these things are easy in replay, but in reality the LB showed blitz with about 1.5 seconds left before the snap. Before that....wasn't there. Good timing you 9er SOB....

This is a great point. I saw this in the SuperB Owl with Terrance Knighton. The guy was an absolute monster, and when Unger was giving him a free shot in to the backfield, he was blowing people, and the play up. I kept wondering why in the hell don't we run away from Knighton? He's the immovable object!

There are certain players that are anathema to a running game, and it would behoove the offense to go away from that guy.

I know Pete always says "It's about them, it's about us!" but at least game plan for people who can stop Marshawn in his tracks. They are few and far between, but let's avoid them please.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
acbass":1d6mslsa said:
I would love to see the Hawks draft Max Williams TE from Minnesota. I Russell needs a big target, but he can also block. I love what I've been seeing out of a few of the younger guys down the stretch. Keep it up!!

Love watching that guy play, but I think he's a redshirt sophomore so I kind of doubt he declares. Might be smart to though, he'd be the best TE by some distance and would probably go before our pick.

On topic I'm pretty happy with our TE play right now and it looks like we're limiting Willson to situations that he can succeed in. Moeaki's becoming that number one guy, it appears we trust him more than Willson in regards to his capabilities. Sure, he might not be as quick as Luke, but he certainly seems to have the better hands.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
vin.couve12":29rgxqji said:

I remember the play you're talking about. Said in the Gameday Forum Russ needed to audible out of the play. My other question is how much time was left on the play clock? Along with your possible reasons for him not changing the play, it could've been down under 5 seconds which would likely negate the possibility.