$20 million plus for Clowney

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fowler and Floyd both off the table now.

Left are Clowney and Griffen. If we want to actually improve over last year we need them both.

Ngakoue remains a trade option. Perhaps Shaq Barrett as well but there are no indications at this point that he might be traded. Honestly I hope we don't have to go this route. Picks + big money for guys who despite their production don't really fit the athletic profile the Seahawks look for in a Leo: length (6-3 height, 33" arms) + speed (10-yd split) + agility/bend (3-cone).

Hopefully things start happening soon. Would be happy with Clowney and Griffen.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
A-Dog":ttzgfsec said:

Left are Clowney and Griffen. If we want to actually improve over last year we need them both.

Ngakoue remains a trade option. Perhaps Shaq Barrett as well but there are no indications at this point that he might be traded. Honestly I hope we don't have to go this route. Picks + big money for guys who despite their production don't really fit the athletic profile the Seahawks look for in a Leo: length (6-3 height, 33" arms) + speed (10-yd split) + agility/bend (3-cone).

I disagree with almost any statements that involve the phrase, "we need". It demonstrates an inflexibility in thought processes and boxed approach to problem solving.

There are many ways to accomplish the same goal, in this case team improvement:

We have several young players along the defensive front, Jville wrote a great summary of the young guys and what we might expect/hope to see from them. It is probable that collectively this young group will improve and at least one will make a noticeable jump. I think the group has promise and would rather we not bring in back end of their career guys to block the growth of young players.

We don't yet know how the draft will fall or who the Hawks are looking at.

There are a handful of edge guys that may be available via trade; I think a couple of the edge guys that are possibilities have been miscast with their current team and would see significantly better performance in Pete's system.

It is also possible that schematically Pete is shifting the defense in a new direction. Several of the defensive personnel decisions over the last three years point towards a shift in scheme. There have also been some rumored consults with college coaches who are considered innovators with their defensive scheme/alignments. Look at the article Jville posted regarding the 3-3-5 alignment for an example of something we might start to see more of.

Nunya

Reaction score
Appyhawk":35cms8ou said:
jammerhawk":35cms8ou said:
This is an interesting development which may help the tea.

You're right JVille. Clowney essentially holding out for the big purse while a virtual glut of DE/Rusher types were snatched up for his price range filled holes which sort of left him JC high and dry. Now we have to figure out how to get him signed.

Clowney is not getting the interest from other teams that he expected. This works in Seattle's favor and he might soon be willing to sign off on what The Seahawks offer.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Unless someone shows up with what he wants my guess is he goes for a one year deal.

Clowney on a one year is actually a great situation for Seattle if he'll do it with them, but my guess is he'd probably be looking for somewhere he can stand up and move around the line more..

toffee

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2808s4rq said:
Unless someone shows up with what he wants my guess is he goes for a one year deal.

Clowney on a one year is actually a great situation for Seattle if he'll do it with them, but my guess is he'd probably be looking for somewhere he can stand up and move around the line more..
Interesting take on the move around part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreeRon

Reaction score
My guess: Something like 2 years 18 million per mostly guaranteed. That'll make him 29 and still available for a hefty contract.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":4rwznhph said:
A-Dog":4rwznhph said:

I disagree with almost any statements that involve the phrase, "we need". It demonstrates an inflexibility in thought processes and boxed approach to problem solving.

There are many ways to accomplish the same goal, in this case team improvement:

We have several young players along the defensive front, Jville wrote a great summary of the young guys and what we might expect/hope to see from them. It is probable that collectively this young group will improve and at least one will make a noticeable jump. I think the group has promise and would rather we not bring in back end of their career guys to block the growth of young players.

We don't yet know how the draft will fall or who the Hawks are looking at.

There are a handful of edge guys that may be available via trade; I think a couple of the edge guys that are possibilities have been miscast with their current team and would see significantly better performance in Pete's system.

It is also possible that schematically Pete is shifting the defense in a new direction. Several of the defensive personnel decisions over the last three years point towards a shift in scheme. There have also been some rumored consults with college coaches who are considered innovators with their defensive scheme/alignments. Look at the article Jville posted regarding the 3-3-5 alignment for an example of something we might start to see more of.

Sure, there are many ways to skin a cat. But we have Pete state clearly that he is looking for players both at Leo and 5T, the traditional 4-3 Under defensive end positions that Pete has always used in his scheme. Maybe they are going to experiment with other alignments but from what Pete has said he is still looking at those two established roles for where he wants to upgrade.

At Leo, the Seahawks really have nobody on the roster who fits the mold. Bruce Irvin who was just signed can help on passing downs but I doubt he's the solution their looking at for starting Leo. Green has played there and finally started to show some promise but can he be a potential double-digit sack guy? Unlikely. Green, Collier, Jackson, and Jones are all in the 280LB+ range and probably better suited to 5T. One of them could emerge as a starter but counting on that is a risk, as is the draft, particularly where the Seahawks are picking.

Jville

Reaction score
More expectations for Clowney's return to the Seahawks.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1240438207088640000[/tweet]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Reading the Hawks have reached out to Griffens people.

Griffen +/Or Clowney?

kf3339

Reaction score
I offer him a 3 year $55M contract, $24M signing bonus, $40M guaranteed, with an opt out clause for the third year (either side).

He gets $24M plus $5M 1st year
$11M second year
$20M third year

No state income tax and culture sells him on the deal.

GLio14

Reaction score
As good as Clowney has been, his stats have been meh. If he had double digit sacks, he would've commanded $20M easily. But 3.5 sacks is viewed as average, especially for a guy of his caliber.

I understand the thought of getting a short term contract to bet on himself, but I really think a long term deal is in his best interest. You never know in this league.

sutz

Reaction score
Cyrus12":15twaeg6 said:
Apparently Seattle is offering 18.5 mill a year.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/ ... es/9611896
I imagine they would go a tad higher if Clowney was actually negotiating, but not over $20m. Doesn't look like he's gonna get what he wants. Maybe there is hope and if he really wants a ring, he could be a big help toward getting Seattle back to the SB.

kf3339

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3lc7zwge said:

If that is in fact their offer then he is getting $20M a year. This is considering the vast majority of teams are located in states that have an income tax, with some at 10% of higher in the case of California. He would have to go over $21M in some states to beat our number (if correct). I would hope his agent has pointed this out to him, or he has figured this out himself.

This isn't about the money anymore, but about his ego.

I think the Hawks have waited long enough. If he doesn't sign on Monday I would go with Griffin and perhaps add Matthews or work a trade.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Apparently The Hawks offered Clowney 18.5 million .

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
xray":10k4a3ws said:
Apparently The Hawks offered Clowney 18.5 million .
sorry for the duplication post

andyh64000

Reaction score
kf3339":2a7j6m4b said:
Cyrus12":2a7j6m4b said:

If that is in fact their offer then he is getting $20M a year. This is considering the vast majority of teams are located in states that have an income tax, with some at 10% of higher in the case of California. He would have to go over $21M in some states to beat our number (if correct). I would hope his agent has pointed this out to him, or he has figured this out himself.

Sort of. They pay taxes for each game check depending on where they play the game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
[profootballtalk] Hearing some chatter that Jadeveon Clowney and the Seahawks are moving toward a new deal.

An update.. whatever you think of PFT

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3np29ada said:
[profootballtalk] Hearing some chatter that Jadeveon Clowney and the Seahawks are moving toward a new deal.

I hope so because I’m starting to sour on this possible signing. The longer this goes on the more I get the feeling that he does not want to be in Seattle.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
BubbaGump":1yw01b73 said:
Uncle Si":1yw01b73 said:

I hope so because I’m starting to sour on this possible signing. The longer this goes on the more I get the feeling that he does not want to be in Seattle.

Oh no.