2014 Seattle Mariners

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Exactly one month ago, we were down 11 to Oakland. Today we can tie them.

Baseball is so weird.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Oakland has been on a freefall since the trading deadline. They made a bad move by trading Cespedes for Lester. They were just fine in first place and now they are in trouble. They may not make the playoffs. A pitcher who pitches every five days is not as valuable (unless he's the top pitcher in the league) as a good everyday player like Cespedes. Lester is good but not great. They are learning that now.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
hawkfan68":6gaxi3gm said:
Oakland has been on a freefall since the trading deadline. They made a bad move by trading Cespedes for Lester. They were just fine in first place and now they are in trouble. They may not make the playoffs. A pitcher who pitches every five days is not as valuable (unless he's the top pitcher in the league) as a good everyday player like Cespedes. Lester is good but not great. They are learning that now.

They thought they had enough hitting, but Donaldson and Moss fell off a cliff and Crisp and Jaso got hurt. That is the perfect storm of terrible luck. I think the trade was reasonable on its face; how could Beane know that his whole team was going to get injured or go into a slump right after he executed it?

I love Cespedes, though. It's easier to root for him when he's not killing us for twenty games a year.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The crowd looks pretty poor for a team who are making their first real play off push in over 10 years. I'm guessing it's cause we're playing the Astros, the stadium always seems empty when we play them.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3ele5m04 said:
The crowd looks pretty poor for a team who are making their first real play off push in over 10 years. I'm guessing it's cause we're playing the Astros, the stadium always seems empty when we play them.

Listening to sports radio they say that in 1995 crowds didnt really get big til the last 2 weeks of the season, and that year was a bit similar to this they say.. Seattle making moves to get into the playoffs in September.

Im going to the game tonight with Sammy from .net, it will be my second game Ive caught in just the week and a half Ive been here so Im doing my part! Was going to hit one yesterday but was already out and not dressed for it.

Iwakuma on the mound tonight, hopefully they win this one.

Largent80

Reaction score
Vetamur":vtwjq9kb said:
Glasgow Seahawk":vtwjq9kb said:

Listening to sports radio they say that in 1995 crowds didnt really get big til the last 2 weeks of the season, and that year was a bit similar to this they say.. Seattle making moves to get into the playoffs in September.

Im going to the game tonight with Sammy from .net, it will be my second game Ive caught in just the week and a half Ive been here so Im doing my part! Was going to hit one yesterday but was already out and not dressed for it.

I hope they win, have a great time, we will see ya this Sunday in sunny San Diego !!!!!!!!

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Oakland also lost this evening. If the Mariners can pull this one out then they will only be one down from the top wildcard.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Why didn't we challenge that one where Carter was safe at second. Inning would have been over!

Chapow

Reaction score
Ugh, on a night when Oakland and Detroit already lost it's especially frustrating to watch the M's lose their second in a row to frickin Houston.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
.......................................the Astros......................really we lose to the dang ASTROS! Come on, if we want to make the playoffs we gotta beat the bad teams.

Chapow

Reaction score
I hate that I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about this team right now (losing 3 out of the last 4 against Houston/Texas sure doesn't help). I just can't shake the thought that even if they do make the 1 game wildcard playoff, Felix will go out there and pitch a great game but make 1 mistake at some point giving up a 2 run home run and we'll end up losing 2-1. I just have very little faith in our offense at this point.

That being said, the M's have a great opportunity staring them in the face with the upcoming 3 game series against Oakland. If they can find a way to get it done in that series, things will look significantly different come Monday morning.

Largent80

Reaction score
Baseball can be a head scratching game and when a team loses to an inferior team it proves that point. They could have made up all that ground and didn't.

I moved from Seattle in 2008 but I keep up on the M's and still have a lot of great (and not so great) memories. Yeah, we used to drive all the way from Snohomish a lot back in the 80's to watch a lot of bad M's teams, but it was inexpensive back then.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":lknw9m9i said:
Glasgow Seahawk":lknw9m9i said:

I think there is just something 'meh' about playing the Astros. Even when we played them in other series the crowds were small. They seem to be our bogey team though but also gave the Angels a hard time of it. For me, I can't get to midweek games due to work commitments and family life. The Mariners also have to compete with the Sounders for my money at weekends. I'm a bigger soccer fan than baseball and the Sounders need all the support they can get to stay top and win the supporters shield against a tough upcoming schedule, so i'll be at the game on Friday. Next Mariners game I go to will be against the Angels.