2015 Cougars Season

dutchcoug

Reaction score
There's enough of us WSU alums on this board where we can start a discussion (a bit saturated with UW talk). After an extremely disappointing 2014 campaign most publications are picking us to finish between 10th and 12th in the Pac-12. i can't really blame them but at the same time, they are likely wrong.

Reasons for optimism:
-This is year 4 for Leach and now is working with almost 100% his guys. The softer Paul Wulff players are all but gone.
-Oline returns all 5 starters including LT Joe Dahl, who only gave up 1 sack in 2014.
-WR's are ridiculous. Dom Williams, Gabe Marks, River Cracraft, Robert Lewis and Kyrin Priester. Maybe the new Fab 5.
-Despite losing Cooper, the Dline looks stout and maybe a little better overall.
-LB group is solid.
-New DC Grinch looks to be coaching the D correctly and we'll see better tackling and much more TO this year.

Reasons for pessimism:
-Luke Falk only had a handful of starts (though it looks like this year most QB's are inexperienced)
-Special Teams. They were so bad last year they can only improve. But they will need to improve a lot.
-Secondary. Dismissing Brown removed our most experienced and talented member. Young guys and JC transfers will have to step up.
-Schedule. Our non conference schedule looks like something an SEC team would have but the Pac-12 is no joke and not many gimmies.

Wins: Portland State, Rutgers, Wyoming, Cal, Oregon State, Colorado, Washington
Losses: Oregon, Arizona, Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA

7-5 might seem overly optimistic but which of the wins I listed are really a stretch? Some might say Cal but they are the same team they were last year with a worse defense and no O-line. Many on this board would say UW, but they still have no offense (even less of an O-line) and the defense has to take a couple steps back losing the amount of quality players they did in the offseason.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think 7-5 is the best case. It involves all 50/50 games going our way. If the Cougs can go into Rutgers and win I will feel pretty good about the chances the rest of the season.

The special teams cannot be any worse. Special teams miscues directly led to two losses(Cal, Rutgers).

I am cautiously optimistic, I think the team will be significantly better, but I don't know how much that will show up on the record. The conference is really tough and there aren't any terrible teams or easy wins.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Marginal improvements in red zone efficiency and on defense should be enough to win a few more games this year. 7-5 wouldn't surprise me at all. But neither would 4-8. The Cougs should be good enough to go 4-2 at home at least.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The two Washington schools combined will have a hard time hitting 7 wins, much less one of them

Chapow

Reaction score
I love that your new DC is Mr. Grinch.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch
You really are a heel,
You're as cuddly as a cactus, you're as charming as an eel, Mr. Grinch,
You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel!

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch,
Your heart's an empty hole,
Your brain is full of spiders, you have garlic in your soul, Mr. Grinch,
I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch,
You have termites in your smile,
You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile, Mr. Grinch,
Given a choice between the two of you I'd take the seasick crocodile!

You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch,
You're the king of sinful sots,
Your heart's a dead tomato splotched with moldy purple spots, Mr. Grinch,
You're a three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!

You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch,
With a nauseous super "naus"!,
You're a crooked dirty jockey and you drive a crooked hoss, Mr. Grinch,
Your soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful
Assortment of rubbish imaginable mangled up in tangled up knots!

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch,
You're a nasty wasty skunk,
Your heart is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk, Mr. Grinch,
The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote,
"Stink, stank, stunk"!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":udhqjr3j said:
Tied with portland state in 4th quarter.
Just lost to Portland State at home, LOL. UW's offense was putrid yesterday.
Looks like another crap year for both Washington schools.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is what you call "Coug'n it"......Mike Leach has done wonders with that program. Overrated is a term I'd use for Leach. Both UW and WSU look to be bottom dwellers this year.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
if they can't pull their heads out and beat Rutgers, they will likely go winless. This is about as bad as it can get.

Thank God for the Hawks!

kearly

Reaction score
The 2015 Apple Cup will be a cripple fight of epic proportions. Not quite 2008 level, but close.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":22glyt95 said:
looooooool

The worst part is that the game sealing interception was probably trapped and incomplete, but the only viable camera angle of it was 300 feet away. Had it been a bigger game with a national broadcast and more cameras, WSU would have probably gotten the ball back with a 15 yard penalty against Portland State to boot.

You could just hear the screams of pain from the WSU fans still in the stands when the call was upheld. "nooooooo!!!!"

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I thought the ball hit the ground on that pick, but at that point I had retreated into the emotionless cocoon that I seek refuge in when things get bad for the Cougs and wasn't mad. Shouldn't have had to come down to that anyway.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Wow, that was a pathetic effort by WSU. What an embarrassment for them.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":osavd9h5 said:
Cougs program is swirling the bowl. Leach has created crap. It's hard to win in Pullman but it can be done. Buh bye Mike,

They would owe him 5 million if they fired him. They aren't firing him.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Found this picture of Leach evaluating the state of the program, thought you guys might like a peek.

Maxresdefault

OP
OP
dutchcoug

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Ah, how things have changed, 7 wins are still possible. Despite UW's loss to OU, they aren't looking as inept as some eluded to earlier in this thread.