Season Post-mortem

bileever

Reaction score
Well, the nay-sayers were right. This team wasn't any good. Just about everything that could go wrong, went wrong. So while the pain is still fresh, let's go over the reasons why things didn't go according to plan.

1. Geno wasn't as good as he was in 2022. Not terrible, but definitely not better.

2. The defense did not improve, not even a little. This being the topic of many other threads, I'll just leave it at that.

3. Dre'mont Jones was a $51 million bust.

4. The offensive line wasn't better. The injuries took a toll, but even when healthy, it was mediocre at best.

5. The draft was good, but not great. Witherspoon and JSN were solid, but Derick Hall (#37) and Zach Charbonnet (#52) fell short of expectations.

6. In the secondary, Julian Love turned out to be a good pick up, but both Riq Woolen and Quandre Diggs took a step back. No need to dwell on Jamal Adams.

7. Bobby Wagner isn't what he used to be. Sad to say, but he went the way of 33 year old linebackers.

8. The team lacked physicality and speed and looked overmatched in games against good teams.

I'm sure you have many things to add to the list.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well, the nay-sayers were right. This team wasn't any good. Just about everything that could go wrong, went wrong. So while the pain is still fresh, let's go over the reasons why things didn't go according to plan.

1. Geno wasn't as good as he was in 2022. Not terrible, but definitely not better.

2. The defense did not improve, not even a little. This being the topic of many other threads, I'll just leave it at that.

3. Dre'mont Jones was a $51 million bust.

4. The offensive line wasn't better. The injuries took a toll, but even when healthy, it was mediocre at best.

5. The draft was good, but not great. Witherspoon and JSN were solid, but Derick Hall (#37) and Zach Charbonnet (#52) fell short of expectations.

6. In the secondary, Julian Love turned out to be a good pick up, but both Riq Woolen and Quandre Diggs took a step back. No need to dwell on Jamal Adams.

7. Bobby Wagner isn't what he used to be. Sad to say, but he went the way of 33 year old linebackers.

8. The team lacked physicality and speed and looked overmatched in games against good teams.

I'm sure you have many things to add to the list.
You just about covered it. This is a below average team that will hover around .500, stuck in a rut until real changes are made.

To some fans, that's acceptable, as the concept of cleaning house and shedding high cap players is viewed as "tanking" and a "losing attitude/culture." When in actuality, based on the way the NFL is set up, it's the complete opposite.

Constantly trading draft capitol for players STILL isn't working. Other than the Lynch trade, I challenge anyone to name a draft pick for player trade that's worked.

Rather than rebuilding after trading Wilson, the team went for a soft reset which has backfired tremendously.

Coaches can't coach and players only give half-assed effort. The owner doesn't care while the coach continues entrenched in mediocre schemes and outdated messages. The league has passed us by. But that's okay! As long as we win half our games, we're still a great club and everything is wonderful yay!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
You just about covered it. This is a below average team that will hover around .500, stuck in a rut until real changes are made.

To some fans, that's acceptable, as the concept of cleaning house and shedding high cap players is viewed as "tanking" and a "losing attitude/culture." When in actuality, based on the way the NFL is set up, it's the complete opposite.

Constantly trading draft capitol for players STILL isn't working. Other than the Lynch trade, I challenge anyone to name a draft pick for player trade that's worked.

Rather than rebuilding after trading Wilson, the team went for a soft reset which has backfired tremendously.

Coaches can't coach and players only give half-assed effort. The owner doesn't care while the coach continues entrenched in mediocre schemes and outdated messages. The league has passed us by. But that's okay! As long as we win half our games, we're still a great club and everything is wonderful yay!
Just curious what your definition of a "soft reset" is? According to my research, there are only 18 players left from the last Me3 year. Of those 16, 4 are defensive starters (Wagner, Brooks, Adams, Diggs), 4 are offensive starters (Lockett, DK, Dissly, Lewis).

The remaining roster players from '21 are:
Geno, Tre Brown, Jake Curran, DJ Dallas, Eskridge, Forsythe, Haynes, Jon Rhattigan, Jason Myers, Michael Dickson.

Out of those 17 players, I'd definately keep 4; Lockett, DK, Myers, Dickson.

Thats a lot of turnover in just two years. "Soft reset" or rebuild. I'm curious as to everyones definition or difference between reset or rebuild. Personally I don't see it as a "soft reset" Too much turnover. I see this team as being in the midst of a rebuild. These things take time.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Just curious what your definition of a "soft reset" is? According to my research, there are only 18 players left from the last Me3 year. Of those 16, 4 are defensive starters (Wagner, Brooks, Adams, Diggs), 4 are offensive starters (Lockett, DK, Dissly, Lewis).

Geno, Tre Brown, Jake Curran, DJ Dallas, Eskridge, Forsythe, Haynes, Jon Rhattigan, Jason Myers, Michael Dickson.

Thats a lot of turnover in just two years. "Soft reset" or rebuild. I'm curious as to everyones definition or difference between reset or rebuild. Personally I don't see it as a "soft reset" Too much turnover. I see this team as being in the midst of a rebuild. These things take time.
I think “rebuild“ implies more than churning through mediocre players and instead gathering assets either picks or young players with high potential. It seems the most successful rebuilds are a “great rookie QB on a cheap contract and building around him“ plan which PC refused to do. And of course gathering talent that is squandered by coaching ineptness will also lead to failure.

Jerhawk

Reaction score

As Jayhawk said, there still wasn't enough roster turnover.

By resigning Diggs, Adams and DK to lucrative contracts, that was signaling "hey, we're still going to build a competitive roster here."
When the Jets came (reportedly) calling offering multiple high draft picks (including one of our own 1st rounders back) for DK, Seattle not taking that offer and resigning him shows the same thing.

Same with the Williams trade. By not accumulating draft capitol, instead resigning star players to stay competitive, I personally label that a reset rather than a full-scale rebuild, which IMO they should have done.

renofox

Reaction score
As Jayhawk said, there still wasn't enough roster turnover.

By resigning Diggs, Adams and DK to lucrative contracts, that was signaling "hey, we're still going to build a competitive roster here."
When the Jets came (reportedly) calling offering multiple high draft picks (including one of our own 1st rounders back) for DK, Seattle not taking that offer and resigning him shows the same thing.

Same with the Williams trade. By not accumulating draft capitol, instead resigning star players to stay competitive, I personally label that a reset rather than a full-scale rebuild, which IMO they should have done.
This. A rebuild is when you dump most of your high-priced veterans for draft picks and don't sign expensive FAs. You get your cap under control and spend a couple years developing ALL of your massive amount of young talent instead of letting the vast majority of picks sit on the bench.

PC was not lying when he repeatedly stated that he was not doing a rebuild. And that's why the team got stuck in a rut.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So, I hate to ask this, but I'm curious if the new coach would want to trade DK now, simply because of his draft pick value as we rebuild?

AubHawk71

Reaction score
The team was 25-26 over the last three seasons. The math is simple. Shake it up.

Latest posts