2015 Huskies: predictions, prognostications & post-mortems

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1qyqiarm said:
Hasselbeck":1qyqiarm said:
SeatownJay":1qyqiarm said:
We're a quarter of the way through the season and the team is 2-1, which is what I thought they'd be at this point. I will say that Browning has looked better than I expected, as has the offensive line when pass protecting. Their run blocking still needs work, though. And the defense has been much better than I expected. I still hold to my 6-6 prediction.

What 4 games do you see them winning?

They may very well lose the next 7.
See my post upthread, but swap Oregon State & Cal.

My bad, didn't see your reply underneath the original one.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Welcome to the halfway point of the season. The Huskies are 3-3, the record I thought they'd have at this point. Although to be fair, I thought they'd beat Cal and lose to USC.

The youth on this team is so frustrating, so many freshmen still learning their jobs. Gaskin looks like the real deal at running back. You can see the potential with Browning, but he still makes a lot of mistakes because of his youth & inexperience. Same with Adams and the others on the offensive line. The biggest failing is the lack of talent at wide reciever. This team really needs a playmaker at that position. I hope John Ross III has a full recovery and is ready for the start of next year.

On defense they continue to look much better than I thought they would, although the tackling needs improvement and an upgrade at DB should be a priority in recruiting.

Washington still has a shot at a bowl game, but they have to win one of the next three (@ Stanford, vs. Arizona, vs. Utah). They'll be underdogs in all of them, so they'll need to do something special to pull it off.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Following a frustrating loss to Utah, Washington finds itself at 4-5 at the 3-quarter mark of the season. They still have a shot at a bowl game, but it won't be easy. Their next game is on the road against the Sun Devils. Washington hasn't won in the state of Arizona since '06, and hasn't won at Arizona State since '01. My guess is that the Dawgs will be 5-6 going into the Apple Cup and will need a win over the Cougars to go bowling.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The regular season is over and the Huskies are 6-6, just like I predicted before the season. However, I can't help but think "what if". Washington actually played better than 6-6, as attested to by their +141 point differential. Three games in particular stand out to me, Cal, Utah, and Arizona State. Turnovers absolutely killed the Huskies in those games. 5 turnovers vs. Cal, they lose by 6. 4 turnovers vs. Utah, they lose by 11. 4 turnovers, all in the 4th quarter, vs Arizona State, they lose by 10. If Washington takes care of the ball in those games, they probably win two of them, maybe all three.

Considering all the contributions by freshmen this year, the future is definitely bright. If Browning and Gaskin stay healthy, they may leave as the greatest QB and RB in school history. Gaskin's 1121 yards (and counting) are the best ever by a freshman and the 11th best season all time. Browning's 2671 yards and 16 TDs (and counting) are also a freshman records and the yardage is 9th best all time.

zifnab32

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ly1fhyxt said:
Lost 2 assistant coaches today. Fired the wr coach, and the dline coach left to become head coach at Montana state.

http://sportspressnw.com/2212486/2015/h ... montana-st

Not surprised on Pease, WR is the one area that really wasn't showing the kind of growth you'd hope for in a young team. Losing Choate hurts more on special teams, he was the coordinator there. Our DC works pretty closely with the DL.

Will be interesting to to see how we go after as replacements.

jkitsune

Reaction score
SeatownJay":155b1q4n said:
The regular season is over and the Huskies are 6-6, just like I predicted before the season. However, I can't help but think "what if". Washington actually played better than 6-6, as attested to by their +141 point differential. Three games in particular stand out to me, Cal, Utah, and Arizona State. Turnovers absolutely killed the Huskies in those games. 5 turnovers vs. Cal, they lose by 6. 4 turnovers vs. Utah, they lose by 11. 4 turnovers, all in the 4th quarter, vs Arizona State, they lose by 10. If Washington takes care of the ball in those games, they probably win two of them, maybe all three.

Considering all the contributions by freshmen this year, the future is definitely bright. If Browning and Gaskin stay healthy, they may leave as the greatest QB and RB in school history. Gaskin's 1121 yards (and counting) are the best ever by a freshman and the 11th best season all time. Browning's 2671 yards and 16 TDs (and counting) are also a freshman records and the yardage is 9th best all time.

I think the losses you mention are the types of losses a team as young as the Huskies can have - lots of mistakes, turnovers, drops, and penalties which cost us wins. I thought UW would do significantly worse than 6-6, let alone to be 6-6 and have played well enough to win 8 or 9 of their games. Very happy with the season overall.

Sucks to lose Choate, but a new WR coach could be a good thing. Will be interesting to see if we keep our OC for next year.

zifnab32

Reaction score
jkitsune":6by3sbm9 said:
SeatownJay":6by3sbm9 said:

I think the losses you mention are the types of losses a team as young as the Huskies can have - lots of mistakes, turnovers, drops, and penalties which cost us wins. I thought UW would do significantly worse than 6-6, let alone to be 6-6 and have played well enough to win 8 or 9 of their games. Very happy with the season overall.

Sucks to lose Choate, but a new WR coach could be a good thing. Will be interesting to see if we keep our OC for next year.

Seems like if they were going to they would have done it at the same time

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Bush Hamdan has been hired as wide receivers coach and pass game coordinator, Jimmy Lake has been promoted to co-defensive coordinator and Bob Gregory has added special teams coordinator to his duties at Washington, head coach Chris Petersen announced today.

Hamdan, who has been serving as interim wide receivers coach as the UW prepares to face Southern Miss in the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl Dec. 26, spent the season as an offensive quality control assistant with the Huskies. The former Boise State quarterback came to the UW after having spent the 2014 season as offensive coordinator at Davidson College. Prior to that, he was co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Arkansas State in 2013 and wide receivers coach at Florida in 2012.

Hamdan, whose brother Gibran played quarterback in the NFL (including time with the Seahawks), is a 2008 graduate at Boise State.

Lake, who came to the UW with Petersen prior to the start of the 2014 season, has overseen the quick maturation of a young Husky secondary that served a key role in Washington leading the Pac-12 in scoring defense and total defense this season. Two Huskies sophomore defensive backs, safety Budda Baker and cornerback Sidney Jones, earned first-team All-Pac-12 this season.

He'll retain his position as Washington's defensive backs coach along with his new responsibilities as co-defensive coordinator.

Gregory, who is has been the UW's assistant head coach and linebackers coach the last two years under Petersen, will add special teams coordinator to his title. Like Lake, Gregory has played a key role in the emergence of Washington's defense as the top squad in the Pac-12. Last year, he coached three Husky linebackers (Shaq Thompson, Hau'oli Kikaha and John Timu) who moved on to the NFL, but still helped coach the defense to a higher level of performance in 2015.

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.db ... =210588401