Browns Film Room: Illinois DT Jer'Zhan Newton is best-kept secret in 2023 NFL Draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
The top names like Georgia’s Jalen Carter and Clemson’s Bryan Bresee are going to be out of the reach of the Browns, who lack a first round pick. This leaves a guy like Alabama’s Byron Young square in the crosshairs of the Browns. There is, however, another big name who is flying under the radar in Illinois defensive tackle Jer’Zhan Newton.

Starting with his box score, Newton is having a tremendous season for the Fighting Illini’s defense who is one of the more fun units in the entire nation. Thus far, Newton has racked up 12 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and 5.5 sacks on the year. He has racked up a massive 47 pressures this season, which sits him at second in the nation of all defensive tackles in college football.

Looking at his PFF metrics, only four defensive tackles, including a surefire top-10 pick in Jalen Carter of Georgia, have a higher defensive grade than Newton. He falls top-10 in both pass rush grade and run defense grade in the nation at defensive tackle according to PFF.

Needless to say, Newton has been one of the very best defensive tackles in the nation, and it shows on his tape.

The "College Football Enquirer" podcast hosts made predictions about upcoming bowl games, including the 2023 ReliaQuest Bowl between the Illinois Fighting Illini and Mississippi State football teams.

The ReliaQuest Bowl is scheduled to be played Monday, Jan. 2 at 11 a.m. CT. Illinois enters the contest 8-4 overall. Mississippi State also comes into the matchup 8-4 overall.
Entering the ReliaQuest Bowl, Illinois and Mississippi State are 1-1 in their all-time series. MS State won the most recent matchup 28-21 on Oct. 12, 1980. As of 11:06 a.m. CT on Wednesday, Mississippi State is a 1-point favorite against Illinois

Clutchpoints.com

• What they say: "How fitting that the Bulldogs send off the Pirate (Leach) with a game in a stadium that has an actual pirate ship. Illinois may play good football, but Mississippi State is going to play inspired, emotional football and pick up a heartwarming win."
  • Pick: Mississippi State

Chevy

Reaction score
Dude looks legit as a pass rusher! Hopefully he declares for the draft.

vonstout

Reaction score
I’m an Illini alum and have watched several of their games this year. I don’t know that he is leaving, but he is a beast. Witherspoon is a legit CB too.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I’m an Illini alum and have watched several of their games this year. I don’t know that he is leaving, but he is a beast. Witherspoon is a legit CB too.
Witherspoon is very good. I could t find anything on Newton. Is he a penetrating 3T or run stuffer? Thanks and Happy New Years guys

BASF

Reaction score
He is headed back to school for 2023. Probably a very good idea since he can only improve his draft stock if he avoids injury.