Russell Okung
Donald Penn
Interior Offensive Linemen
Alex Mack
Kelechi Osemele
Alex Boone
Rumored To Be Available Via Trade:
Joe Thomas

Are these arranged in any particular order, such as 2015 salary or player grades?

Evan Silva ranked them in order of best to worst.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rob12":j0549wwr said:
My dream:

Get Alex Mack.
Trade the first for Joe Thomas.
Sign Alex Boone.

I get that maybe only one of those three things might happen, but a man can dream.

joker-burning-money-o.gif

andyh64000

Reaction score
The problem is the lineman needs to fit Cables system and athletic profile. I think Okung actually doesn't which is why he has gone from pro bowl to causing interceptions in playoff games.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
Seems like Cable/ Bevell/ Pete& John are all on different pages when it comes to the O-line philosophy.
Britt seemed like perfect fit when he was drafted, now he looks like mess guessing what to do.
I think Cable needs to go.

mrt144

Reaction score
FA OL is too expensive and doesn't fit with the MO of the FO.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I'd expect trades. They have done pretty well with OL trades with Bruno from GB and McQ from Cleveland.

Both were at least average OL players.

I hesitate on Okung as he is not a power guy and relies on size , footwork and leverage. Since his turf toe he does not move as well. Okung a case is similar to Jonathan Ogden that's way... Turf toe and impact on mobility; he was never the same.

Britt he has the tools but he is just not very good at RT and worse at guard. Will he get better? I have doubts especially at guard. He is tall and not really powerful. I don't know many successful guards that for that profile.

Sweezy. He can pancake guys. The draw back is he does not too it as often as he gets beat on pass players. It does balance out a bit but he is average.

So what's left 3 potential holes I. My model and the cost will be high and the team can afford and get one free agent perhaps.

Fill the holes with trades like before or the draft .... My logic anyway.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree that our front office is not going to throw money at FA offensive linemen in any bidding wars. We could very well end up with a couple of these guys nonetheless if we can get a deal on them because they have baggage, remain unsigned and we see slightly different value in them than others do.

Bobby Massie is an intriguing guy because he seems like the sort of RT that Cable would like and he has a huge amount of baggage in the form of an alcohol problem. His DUI was a year ago now but if that causes other teams to pass on him then he could be a good value.

Another option might be a veteran like Jake Long. He's a 30 year old previous #1 overall pick who signed a $1.5m one year deal with Atlanta last year to be their backup LT. He hasn't been able to stay healthy (back, torn biceps, multiple torn ACLs) over his career but he managed it last season in a utility/backup role.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Leee-roy":16twmwto said:
Britt seemed like perfect fit when he was drafted, now he looks like mess guessing what to do. I think Cable needs to go.
Sometimes this is just a player not working out; it happens to every front office every year. Look at the Patriots busts over the last decade in a vacuum (Brandon Meriweather 1st, Terrence Wheatley 2nd, Ron Brace 2nd, Bethel Johnson 2nd, Chad Jackson 2nd, Laurence Maroney 1st) and you'd think their front office was completely incompetent.

It's just really hard to predict how college performance is going to translate to pros given the constraints of the process. You can't measure work ethic or heart, and until you've tried to teach a player a new scheme it's hard to know how well they are going to take to it. Imagine if Okung didn't have injury problems and Carpenter/Moffitt were self motivated. Our 2016 OL discussion would be completely different.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
andyh64000":37kj5slb said:
The problem is the lineman needs to fit Cables system and athletic profile. I think Okung actually doesn't which is why he has gone from pro bowl to causing interceptions in playoff games.

I still blame him for poor blocking in last year's SB.

http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/fi ... er-tackle/

At the snap, tight end Luke Willson kicks out the edge defender in linebacker Akeem Ayers while safety Patrick Chung takes a crunching block from Tukuafu. On the inside, left tackle Russell Okung (#76) and left guard James Carpenter (#77) double-team defensive end Chandler Jones, and then Okung quickly peels off to meet Hightower at the second level.

Although defensive tackle Sealver Siliga manages to disengage from his block, the defender’s pursuit from the backside falls short of the ball carrier. As Lynch crosses the line of scrimmage, the only obstacle remaining between him and the goal line is the seemingly blocked Hightower.

But the linebacker displays strong technique as Okung approaches. He aligns his feet with the shoulders of the blocker before extending both arms for maximum power. By punching his hands high to Okung’s shoulders, Hightower shunts the momentum of the blocker and avoids engagement, thus locking out the left tackle’s block attempt.

With Lynch pressing outside, Hightower fully disengages by driving low through the hip of Okung and, in one fluid motion, cuts out the legs of Lynch, crumbling the running back to the ground just feet short of a legendary touchdown.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I think he also cost us the game against the panthers. On Wilson's second pick he grabbed his arm and let is defender unabated to the QB who hit Wilson and caused him to under throw a wide open Kearse for the 2nd pick and a quick field goal. I was thinking that arm better be freaking broken with the bone sticking out to cause that reaction. Instead he was able to jog off the field. To me that was the last straw...I want him nowhere near this team. Anyone but a giant wuss would have at least attempted to complete the play and not taking a dive to ground giving up his QB's blind side.

Hawkfish":3x1zj2ks said:
andyh64000":3x1zj2ks said:

I still blame him for poor blocking in last year's SB.

http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/fi ... er-tackle/

At the snap, tight end Luke Willson kicks out the edge defender in linebacker Akeem Ayers while safety Patrick Chung takes a crunching block from Tukuafu. On the inside, left tackle Russell Okung (#76) and left guard James Carpenter (#77) double-team defensive end Chandler Jones, and then Okung quickly peels off to meet Hightower at the second level.

Although defensive tackle Sealver Siliga manages to disengage from his block, the defender’s pursuit from the backside falls short of the ball carrier. As Lynch crosses the line of scrimmage, the only obstacle remaining between him and the goal line is the seemingly blocked Hightower.

But the linebacker displays strong technique as Okung approaches. He aligns his feet with the shoulders of the blocker before extending both arms for maximum power. By punching his hands high to Okung’s shoulders, Hightower shunts the momentum of the blocker and avoids engagement, thus locking out the left tackle’s block attempt.

With Lynch pressing outside, Hightower fully disengages by driving low through the hip of Okung and, in one fluid motion, cuts out the legs of Lynch, crumbling the running back to the ground just feet short of a legendary touchdown.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Surely Cable will not find anyone worth a go on that list. There isn't any DEs on it.

redhawk253

Reaction score
The only reason alex mack signed that contract with jacksonville was to guarantee he would be an unrestricted free agent this year...

He is opting out... hes also already said he doesnt care about money he just wants to win...

Now ya got joe thomas saying about the same...

Players do this so they dont look like the bad guy when they ask to be traded or leave in free agency..

Browns are scrambling to appease to thomas to stay right now..

Apparently we were in talks with the browns in november when they were danglin these two out as trade bait..

It would make perfect sense to sign mack and trade for thomas those are two of the most important spots on the line and would create a nice backbone.. could throw fat albert inbetween joe and alex on the left side and it would be one of the best left sides in the league lol..

Latest posts