2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Bobblehead

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1gtx4gwo said:
West TX Hawk":1gtx4gwo said:
Bobblehead":1gtx4gwo said:
Just how good is Gamel at the lead off spot, it's going to be interesting when Segura comes back. He just seems to hit a lot better on the top of the order..
Next thing you know, we're going to have Zunino behind Cruz.... nah, let sleeping dogs lie.

M's hoping Segura is back next week.. seems he's running and now taking batting practice... fantastic news.

That's such good news about Segura! So promising he's ahead of schedule.

For the lineup when Segura's back, what would you think about Gamel hitting 2nd, Haniger 5th and dropping Seager to 6th? Valencia 7th, Zunino 8th, Heredia/Dyson 9th?

And a great win tonight! Bats came alive again. Miranda can get us the series win tomorrow. (Early game-10 Pacific, Noon central)

You have to keep Haniger in the two spot. Guys been unbelievable there. you ride that out as long as possible.

Segura, Mitchy the kid, Cano, Cruz, Seags, Gamel, Valencia, Zunino, Dyson/Heredia
That is one heck of a line up.

Yeah, I understand, but do you see what Gamal is doing at the leadoff spot?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good to see Mike Z tearing it up. He is on fire. They didn't play him today. So Ruiz goes 0 for 3 and sports a .200 avg.
Typical M's...

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":26q8zaq6 said:
Good to see Mike Z tearing it up. He is on fire. They didn't play him today. So Ruiz goes 0 for 3 and sports a .200 avg.
Typical M's...

Servais could've pinch hit Z for Ruiz in the 7th and have him catch 2 innings, but I'm guessing Servais gave Z the full rest day since it was an early game following a night game he caught and they have to travel today.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":18193fxe said:
hawkfan68":18193fxe said:
Typical M's...

Servais could've pinch hit Z for Ruiz in the 7th and have him catch 2 innings, but I'm guessing Servais gave Z the full rest day since it was an early game following a night game he caught and they have to travel today.

Very true. Z has a hot bat and hopefully the rest doesn't disrupt his roll. Considering they had some problems hitting and scoring in today's game.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1vih2j1i said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1vih2j1i said:
Sgt. Largent":1vih2j1i said:
Mariners announce naming rights with Safeco not being renewed.

DCNw p6XYAQiclk

Hopefully the start to remove the stench of loser with this franchise. New owners, GM coach, coach in the last couple of years and now a new stadium name. I would love them to update the logo which is pretty uninspiring, heck at this point even renaming the team. For a team that's 40 plus years old, there's only been a few great seasons to talk about with the Mariners.

Feel like when the Seahawks updated their logo it was a kind of rebirth for the team. Hopefully the same can happen with the m's.

What's not to like about the logo? It's history. Team tradition. It symbolizes Seattle baseball. I don't care if it's not inspiring or not, I love the S logo. I'm cool with Safeco field getting a name change though.

Meant the compass one rather than the S

gowazzu02

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1pflbr5r said:
Typical M's...

Honest question, have you ever sat in a squat for 9 innings worth of time? Catchers NEED 1 maybe 2 games off a week. I don't care how hot his bat is. If you play a catcher day in and day out, especially the day game after a night game, your going to go blow through catchers.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":e41r9874 said:
Sometimes we just suck.. Wake up Pax.

It's concerning about Pax's drop in velocity as well as his command issues. Stottlemyre needs to get him back in sync quick.

It was great to see Zunino go with the pitch and hit to right field again today. He never would've done that last year. Very encouraging.

Gamel is just ultra impressive. Such a great compact swing and it was intriguing seeing him play a little 1B today. More flexible options.

Dyson continues his hot streak. Nice power today.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Anyone believe if we claw back to .500 by the break we trade Seager for a SP?

I think it's very interesting they tried Gamel at 1B a little today. Valencia has started over 70% of his career at 3B. So if they want to take a risk, trade Seager who's having mediocre production this season thus far, the position switches are quite plausible.

Why would a team be interested in Seager? He has a lengthy contract through '21 owing him an average of 14 mil+ per year, but he's still just 29 and has been steady his whole career. Some teams may be looking for a long term 3B option. To a team that has a short right field, he's more intriguing.

We're 3 games under .500 but if we want to give it a final push with this closing window, this could be a viable option.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":qevnlh8e said:

I think it's very interesting they tried Gamel at 1B a little today. Valencia has started over 70% of his career at 3B. So if they want to take a risk, trade Seager who's having mediocre production this season thus far, the position switches are quite plausible.

Why would a team be interested in Seager? He has a lengthy contract through '21 owing him an average of 14 mil+ per year, but he's still just 29 and has been steady his whole career. Some teams may be looking for a long term 3B option. To a team that has a short right field, he's more intriguing.

We're 3 games under .500 but if we want to give it a final push with this closing window, this could be a viable option.

That's a interesting thought.. I really like Seager as a person and player but... business is business. Don't the Yanks have a short right field and a need for a 3b? Don't know what kind of SP they have to offer though.

If that was the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the M's tried their new pick E White at 3b as well..seems like he would be a natural there.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1z39txuy said:

I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I think DiPoto should pull the trigger if the right package was on the table. Seager's great and all, but for a $100 million dollar man, he's been a disappointment. I think you could easily say last year was his best year, even better than his all star year. Was last year the exception to the rule? I wonder if LA would be more willing to build a better package to get Kyle and Corey together. I could care less about the Dodgers, so I'm not really sure what they have to offer though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1k5rsko4 said:
hawkfan68":1k5rsko4 said:
Typical M's...

Honest question, have you ever sat in a squat for 9 innings worth of time? Catchers NEED 1 maybe 2 games off a week. I don't care how hot his bat is. If you play a catcher day in and day out, especially the day game after a night game, your going to go blow through catchers.

I have. I did it during a weekend tournament. I'm not a pro athlete so I would think a pro would be in better condition than me. It's a manager's job to find a way to keep the hot bats in the lineup. Servais failed to do that for that game.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1xy8n8nc said:
gowazzu02":1xy8n8nc said:
hawkfan68":1xy8n8nc said:
Typical M's...

I have. I did it during a weekend tournament. I'm not a pro athlete so I would think a pro would be in better condition than me. It's a manager's job to find a way to keep the hot bats in the lineup. Servais failed to do that for that game.

Doing it in a weekend tournament is not quite the same as keeping your catcher fresh over a 162 game season. That said, I believe if you are hot,, keep it hot, he can rest when he's cold. At least put Cruz in RT, let Zunino DH. Hell, our offense doesn't and we don't count on Zunino to fulfill it. Our offense is won and lost on our front 6 or 7 players.. anything else is gravy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Down multiple runs early... again.

Took a long lunch Thursday and watched the same thing at Target field. Frustrating

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Gallardo needs to be DFA and released asap. This is getting ridiculous. We can't wait for Felix to get back before doing so. Call up anyone to take his spot in the rotation or have relievers combine for a start.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
LOL, looked at the score, thought it was yesterdays game.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Chapow":2dns8ijh said:
Quite frankly, we'd probably be in even worse shape than we are without Gallardo. This team lost 80% of it's starting rotation. Felix, Pax, Kuma, Smyly, and Miranda. That was supposed to be our rotation.

You're wrong here, by the way. It was supposed to be Felix, Paxton, Kuma, Smyly, Gallardo. Miranda was to start the year in Tacoma. Honestly, I think any one of the young guys in AAA ball (Andrew Moore, Nick Neidert, or Max Povse), would be a better option than Gallardo and his $11 million contract.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m having a hard time seeing how the M's could take Gamal out of the 1 or 2 spot.
I think ultimately everyone drops down a spot.

Yeah yeah, I know, Cano at 3, but he's batted cleanup before.. you remember when he finally broke out of his slump at the #3 spot and proceeded to have a great year at the 4. So yeah I see JS, BG, MH RC or at least until we see how well Gamal his at the #2 spot.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2acj8egc said:
I"m having a hard time seeing how the M's could take Gamal out of the 1 or 2 spot.
I think ultimately everyone drops down a spot.

Yeah yeah, I know, Cano at 3, but he's batted cleanup before.. you remember when he finally broke out of his slump at the #3 spot and proceeded to have a great year at the 4. So yeah I see JS, BG, MH RC or at least until we see how well Gamal his at the #2 spot.

Agreed. You have to at least keep Gamel 2nd. How about this: Segura, Gamel, Cano, Cruz, Haniger, Seager, Valencia, Zunino, Dyson/Heredia. I wouldn't mind seeing Valencia 6th and Seager 7th actually but it won't happen. Haniger has enough power to warrant batting 5th IMO.

And watching Gamel's sweet, compact swing from the left side, tell me he doesn't remind people a little of George Brett and Tony Gwynn? He has a long, long ways to go, but the swing is there.