2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16fkzahe said:
TransGenderHawkFan":16fkzahe said:
Uncle Si":16fkzahe said:
TransGenderHawkFan":16fkzahe said:
Nice walk off win last night in the 11th. Offense still fights for victories even after watching shitty starting and relief pitching day in and day out.

They just pitched a 4 hit shutout the night before. Plus that whole no-hitter thing last week.

Would be nice to get some consistency, however. The "big inning" has cost them a few games lately.

Those were great surprises, but two games proves my point more than yours. The only consistency has been consistently bad.

Paxton has been the only decent pitcher. Maybe LeBlanc will continue to surprise?

It's not "that bad" (I don't talk baseball much, so could be off here)

Seattle's team ERA is 10th in the AL, 7th in Runs allowed and 1/2 a run from 5th. They are 5th in BBs, 5th in Ks and 9th in Batting Average. They are 11th in quality starts (only 14) and first in Saves.... Pitching is 5/6 in Total bases, Hits, Doubles and HRs. Therein probably lies the problem

They are 7th in total offense.

They have the 5th best record in the AL. I'd say this team's strengths are its bullpen, defense and offense. Starting pitching is 10th, just below league average.

They are consistently mediocre, hurt by the big inning, typically from the starter, like last night and much of the detroit series. They need a starting pitcher and a relief pitcher and could be special.

Do they need to replace Cano though? is the offense sustainable without him?

Probably two quality starters, one of them at least a 2, and a replacement for Nicasio. Something isn't right with him.

There are lies, damn lies, and then their are statistics. Mariners have only a +7 run differential which is indicative of the offense bailing the pitching out and also getting blown out.

Mediocre pitching will likely get the Mariners either close to the playoffs, or in, where they will be obliterated by teams with above average staffs. Houston shut our offense down. While their staff is exceptional, there will not be a lot of easier staffs to face once there.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Detroit is actually a team that I would discuss starting pitching with. They have a couple of starters that would be perfect for the Mariners, and they are on the downswing.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3ks4e9xv said:
Does no one believe in Kyle Lewis? I thought he was drafted to be the CF of the future here. I know his knee is pretty banged up, but still
The guy is not ready. He was in rookie-A ball before he got hurt (I think), missed most of last year and is coming off of a very severe injury. He is probably still a couple of years away at best.

As for Cano, he is an idiot for using PED’s.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":bd59cq5q said:
TransGenderHawkFan":bd59cq5q said:
Uncle Si":bd59cq5q said:
TransGenderHawkFan":bd59cq5q said:
Nice walk off win last night in the 11th. Offense still fights for victories even after watching shitty starting and relief pitching day in and day out.

They just pitched a 4 hit shutout the night before. Plus that whole no-hitter thing last week.

Would be nice to get some consistency, however. The "big inning" has cost them a few games lately.

Those were great surprises, but two games proves my point more than yours. The only consistency has been consistently bad.

Paxton has been the only decent pitcher. Maybe LeBlanc will continue to surprise?

Do they need to replace Cano though? is the offense sustainable without him?

I think Haniger will be phenomenal at the 3 so we don't lose there. I think Mitch was miscast at 6. Dee is a gold glove 2nd baseman, and we have an abundance of OF's. Losing Cano was probably the best case scenario if we had to lose a player.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
With the new found money from the Cano suspension, I'd like to see us make a move for a starting pitcher sooner than later. I know everyone waits til the deadline, but is there a way to get ahead of the curve. This team needs a great starter now if they want to compete for the playoffs. Add Cano to the long list of great MLB players who were on the juice.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Who though could we get and we don't have prospects to give up in a non existent farm to get them...or do we?

Are we likely to see Kyle Lewis play this season in the majors?

sutz

Reaction score
Streaming on Facebook now. Crappy quality, but :229031_shrug:

Crizilla

Reaction score
So Servais doesn't start Beckham today who had 2 hits last night and doesn't start Heredia who had the walk off hit last night. Every damn day the line up is different. I don't get it.

Another loss on Servais. Freitas lets a strike bounce of his glove which started Texas' 4 run burst. Seager's homer should have tied it at 1-1. Having Freitas be catcher and Zunino DH is dumb. We don't need both them in the line up. Should have had Heredia DH, Zunino at catcher, and Beckham at 2nd.

M's won't win a lot of games with Zunino, Freitas, and Romine all starting. Those guys just don't get on base, but at least we get a great defensive catcher with Zunino (if he starts).

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
So to make room for Bergman, Goeddel was DFA'd? Are you kidding me? He was quickly becoming a reliable arm in the pen. 1.23 ERA over 7.1 innings while he was here. Yet, Zep, Altavilla, and Nicasio.....NICASIO are still in town. Plus, how is Casey Lawrence still on the 40 man roster. This is ridiculous.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2qcajqpx said:
So to make room for Bergman, Goeddel was DFA'd? Are you kidding me? He was quickly becoming a reliable arm in the pen. 1.23 ERA over 7.1 innings while he was here. Yet, Zep, Altavilla, and Nicasio.....NICASIO are still in town. Plus, how is Casey Lawrence still on the 40 man roster. This is ridiculous.

Yeah that makes no sense. Why is Casey Lawrence still with the team, going against him is like batting practice.

I asked the question in here earlier, but what are the chances the M's release Felix. Lets say he has a few more rough starts, do they think about it? I doubt he'll ever get sent down to the minors. Obviously Paxton is the #1, but it appears LeBlanc and possibly Bregman might be better than him at this point in their careers. Leake has been a disappointment but I expect him to turn it around.

Rob12

Reaction score
Crizilla":2vd8lbyb said:
So Servais doesn't start Beckham today who had 2 hits last night and doesn't start Heredia who had the walk off hit last night. Every damn day the line up is different. I don't get it.

Another loss on Servais. Freitas lets a strike bounce of his glove which started Texas' 4 run burst. Seager's homer should have tied it at 1-1. Having Freitas be catcher and Zunino DH is dumb. We don't need both them in the line up. Should have had Heredia DH, Zunino at catcher, and Beckham at 2nd.

M's won't win a lot of games with Zunino, Freitas, and Romine all starting. Those guys just don't get on base, but at least we get a great defensive catcher with Zunino (if he starts).

Good grief, man. I don’t post much here anymore but what are you going on about? Zunino didn’t catch today because you don’t have him catch an early day game when he just caught a night game (an extra inning game at that). The only reason that he was even in the lineup was because Cruz is hurt. Servais has to make the best of the shit sandwich he’s been dealt. We’re without Cano and Cruz - of course our lineup is going to look different.

It’s baseball. You lose a lot of games in baseball. Putting this on Servais is silly.

I love to whine and bitch about the M’s but you’re on a different level.

Crizilla

Reaction score
You shouldn't play Zunino at catcher today because he played last night? But he can still DH? Also shouldn't other players have gotten the day off since they played last night as well? It's unusual Servais is alternating between catchers so much, and when he decides to play them both in the same game, he has Freitas playing catcher and Zunino DH. I dont see the logic in that. They paid the price too because Frietas let a good pitch get away from him in the 9th which led to 4 runs by the Rangers. They both aren't great offensively but Zunino is by far better behind the plate.

Coaching decisions win/lose games all the time. Part of the game. Red Sox blew the 2003 ALCS by leaving Pedro Martinez in too long, Mets blew a WS game few years ago by leaving Matt Harvey in the game, etc.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3nfgltra said:
I asked the question in here earlier, but what are the chances the M's release Felix. Lets say he has a few more rough starts, do they think about it? I doubt he'll ever get sent down to the minors. Obviously Paxton is the #1, but it appears LeBlanc and possibly Bregman might be better than him at this point in their careers. Leake has been a disappointment but I expect him to turn it around.
Hard to say. He should've been gone last year, but here we are, enduring the same Felix for the past 3 years. I really hope they do, it would be best for this team. This is a good start, don't let the rotation hold this team back. Dipoto has his work cut out for him. Especially considering he's pretty much dealt away most of the little value the farm system has.

I'd say cutting ties with Felix would be the first step, and then you go from there. And speaking of Bergman, aside from two bad starts, he was actually real good last year. Take away those two starts, and he had a sub 2 ERA. I thought it was pretty petty how they kicked him to the curb when he was actually one of the better pitchers here last year.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Crizilla":z596m16k said:
You shouldn't play Zunino at catcher today because he played last night? But he can still DH? Also shouldn't other players have gotten the day off since they played last night as well? It's unusual Servais is alternating between catchers so much, and when he decides to play them both in the same game, he has Freitas playing catcher and Zunino DH. I dont see the logic in that. They paid the price too because Frietas let a good pitch get away from him in the 9th which led to 4 runs by the Rangers. They both aren't great offensively but Zunino is by far better behind the plate.

Coaching decisions win/lose games all the time. Part of the game. Red Sox blew the 2003 ALCS by leaving Pedro Martinez in too long, Mets blew a WS game few years ago by leaving Matt Harvey in the game, etc.

Playing catcher is way different than playing DH or in the field. Catchers need days off after squatting for 9 (or 11) innings several days in a row. Catchers need more days off than other players.

Zunino was given a day off on the 4th and sat for 1 game of the double header and then DH'd today. Other than that he"s caught every game this month. Thats absolutely normal for catchers.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15rqwln4 said:
Servais is HORRID at dealing with pitchers. Geezus

Not really. Ppl love to blame servais for everything. Im sorry you cant rely on the pitchers you trust to do their job.

Start blaming the players for not doing their job.

Start blaming jerry for not getting real pitcher's.

Has scott screwed up at times? Yep. However most the time its on the players to hold down the fort.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yes, really. He leaves guys in WAY too long as they are getting toasted. He continues to go to his "set up guy" who can't get anyone out. Nicasio has blown numerous games. He has no ability to know when to get a guy out of there.
Obviously the pitchers need to do their jobs. But, it's Manager's JOB to know when a guy just isn't on.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":p411qs0r said:
SoulfishHawk":p411qs0r said:

Not really. Ppl love to blame servais for everything. Im sorry you cant rely on the pitchers you trust to do their job.

Has scott screwed up at times? Yep. However most the time its on the players to hold down the fort.

I’m sorry but this is generally ridiculous imo..

Players can only do their best according to their own abilities. That’s why there’s a such thing as stats and stats analysis, to determine who to have on your team and in what situation to use them. Generally if players fail in certain circumstances, especially when there’s a clear pattern that can be observed, that’s on the management not the players.

Like yelling at a bucket with a hole in the bottom for not holding water.. that’s not at the bucket but on the person who faslsely believes that bucket will hold water and tries to use it for that purpose.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3mhnerf6 said:
Shanegotyou11":3mhnerf6 said:
SoulfishHawk":3mhnerf6 said:

I’m sorry but this is generally ridiculous imo..

Players can only do their best according to their own abilities. That’s why there’s a such thing as stats and stats analysis, to determine who to have on your team and in what situation to use them. Generally if players fail in certain circumstances, especially when there’s a clear pattern that can be observed, that’s on the management not the players.

Like yelling at a bucket with a hole in the bottom for not holding water.. that’s not at the bucket but on the person who faslsely believes that bucket will hold water and tries to use it for that purpose.

I know you cant trust a reliever with a 1.13era. Or the closer with a sub 2 era. It's the manager who blew the game. You also have to use what your given. I agree with likes of Nicasio as of late but you must work him through it. You paid him to do it. So yes i agree move Nicasio to the 7th inning or 6th inning to see through it.

They are trying Nick Vincent in the 8th and i dont trust him at all. Dude has a great era but in high leverage moments he has a +4.50 era. Servais ran out Pazos in the 8th in the game last night with a 1.13 era. He blew it. So he pulled him and Vincent blew it completely.

So, is this the managers fault still? I mean he ran out Pazos with a 1.13 era. He didnt have it so he put nick in. The game before he put the all star closer in and he blew it.

Im sorry that isnt on Scott. I will agree its on scott if he forces Nicasio out there in the 8th unless he has figured it out.