2019 WR Corp.,

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Fade":1nmk8nxe said:
After the they traded back into this draft to take another WR, it became pretty clear Baldwin is retiring.

So with that I really like Jennings, and see him having the ability to pick up the offense really quickly. He will compete with
David Moore for the 3rd Receiver spot. Metcalf will have the benefit of having a simplified role (go deep), so their isn't a lot of intricacies he has to pick up. They can have him focus on that while bringing him along slowly in other areas.

Metcalf has the X spot on lock, and has to really falter for them to consider not starting him this year.

Lockett
Metcalf
Jennings

Are your starters in the not too distant future.

Other guys might play in the early going while they let the rookies develop, but it won't be for long.
Great post! He clearly was drafted to replace Balwin, and anyone who would deny that ain't operating with too bright a bulp.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Slot guy does a lot of Blocking Lockett as a Flanker is not asked to do as much, why the bigger bodies there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":hxrs1l2e said:
Slot guy does a lot of Blocking Lockett as a Flanker is not asked to do as much, why the bigger bodies there.

I saw on Twitter that when Doug was out last year, Lockett lined up in the slot something like 60% of the time.

So it's more than just who can block, it's more about who knows how to run precise routes and read what the defense is doing, and be in the right position in the run and pass game.

That's usually not a rookie, it can take them years to understand the nuances of playcalling, route running and understanding defensive concepts. If these new guys are going to have an impact in year #1, it's going to be outside where they just have to make one move and run their seam, deep crosses and go routes.

So yeah, it makes sense if Lockett moves inside if Doug retires, at least most of the time. Russell trusts him implicitly to be where he's suppose to be.

Probably also why it's not a coincidence that we drafted two big bodied burners in Jennings and Metcalf. Get em outside and let them do their thing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1ts4zko1 said:

Then why did Lockett line up in the slot over 50% of the time when Doug was out.

Trust, route running, twitchy speed to separate in tight spaces..........you almost always want your bigger bodied receivers outside so they can use their length.

Not that it'll always be this way. Pete and Schotty want versatility, but like I said it's rare for a rookie to come in and be your every down slot receiver. It's a much more complicated position then lining up outside.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
How long did angry Doug took to take over the slot spot? He did become one of the very best slot receiver, but how long as the learning process?

James in PA

Reaction score
Hawknballs":zbwi05hr said:
sounds like terelle pryor is also in town.
This guy’s name just doesn’t go away. Every year he is linked to the Seahawks. Unbelievable. Even without Doug, this guy has like a 1% chance of making the final 53.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":2kq95jba said:
toffee":2kq95jba said:
How long did angry Doug took to take over the slot spot? He did become one of the very best slot receiver, but how long as the learning process?
Signed as UDFA in 2011.

Caught 51 balls for 788 yards in 2011. Looks like he caught on pretty quickly. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?ei=pOjIXI ... 0fwNFtVn9k

Did he started as slot? regardless of x y or z, any 788 yard rookie is great found, a 788 yards UDFA was awesome.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":awojf460 said:
More clarification on the WR positions, I think we are on the same page but looking at different formation type as well as alighments.

This is a pretty good read to clarify from a while back.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/17/3165517/breaking-down-the-x-z-and-slot-receiver

Good read, thanks dude.

Did Lockett lined up in all three positions over the last season? Lockett must be quite remarkable that he could, or did he only lined up A and as slot when Doug was out?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1iztsz59 said:
I’m willing to bet Kearse will be coming back.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Anyways, here's my projection:

Lockett
Brown
Moore
Metcalf
Jennings
Ursua

AgentDib

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1bcce2qt said:
I also wouldn't bet on Jaron Brown getting shoved out. He had five big touchdowns, and Carson owes at least two others to Brown's run blocking. The coaching staff might be higher on him than some fans.
Devil's advocate here is that WR was clearly a huge priority for them after the news about Doug, yet we know they really like Lockett. I don't think their opinion can be very high on the other receivers left.

Mick063

Reaction score
Baldwin was MIA for much of last season, played hurt for the remaining balance of games, and Seattle still finished strong into a playoff spot.

The team is deeper and tougher at multiple positions including wide receiver. There are several players at various positions on the brink of emerging as meaningful contributors and entering their 2nd or 3rd years which are commonly breakout seasons. This includes edge rushers that only need the opportunity for more snaps with Clark gone (Very hopeful about Martin and Green). One only needs to look at the meteoric rise of Jaren Reed to realize that some of these other youngsters might blossom as well.

I think the wide receiver position is a microcosm of the entire team. Ascending and getting younger.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Not that it isnt clear they didnt want him back but Kearse just signed with the Lions who continue to be Seattle-East

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":201snc39 said:
Not that it isnt clear they didnt want him back but Kearse just signed with the Lions who continue to be Seattle-East

I thought they were becoming NE-North. ;)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Gary Jennings hamstring is costing him precious time thus far in the OTAs. Hopefully he'll get onto the field during the mandatory mini-camp starting next week.

And from what I'm reading is Jaron Brown is having a fantastic spring after putting on more muscle. Reportedly he's up to 220 now and looking faster as well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Next year's WR Corp is going to be just fine. You know your top 3 going in are Lockett, Moore and Brown. After that, Metcalf, Jennings, and Darboh will make thing really, really interesting. Then Reynolds, Ferguson, Ursua, Wright, and Turner are trying to win jobs from others.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

Jville

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this year's posting of roster weights. Some players are shedding bad weight while others are adding good weight.

For example wide receiver Jeron Brown is still listed at 204 at seahawks.com even though he is now reportedly at 220 lbs. Bigger, stronger faster. [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/654843/seahawks-jaron-brown-interview-clayton/[/urltargetblank]