2019 WR Corp.,

scutterhawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1mo4nuv4 said:
If Doug retires, the only starter is Lockett.

To say Metcalf should start because he was drafted in the 2nd RD is like saying Penny should have started over Carson because he was drafted in the 1st Rd.

Clearly, Pete doesn’t give a shit where they were drafted or how they acquired a player.

He cut Tom Johnson to keep a promising young player. He started Poona Ford over a vet because he outplayed him. He cut Brandon Marshall and let David Moore play....

Let’s see what these guys do in OTAs, TC, Preseason because, IMO, this is wide open.

always compete!
AND, Doug Baldwin wasn't even drafted...Penny isn't really a good comparison, as Carson, like Wilson, earned their STARTERS jobs, No One is going to outperform Lockett, so whomever get's the nod, it will be because they outshine whomever is in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th place.
I like he hell out of the DK, Jennings & Ursua vibes, but there are others who might be hungry enough to push their competition out of the starting lineup.
This much competition is GOOD for the Seahawks, not so much for the ones who ain't ready to give it their all.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Jville":2d8sg4tv said:
Looking forward to seeing this year's posting of roster weights. Some players are shedding bad weight while others are adding good weight.

For example wide receiver Jeron Brown is still listed at 204 at seahawks.com even though he is now reportedly at 220 lbs. Bigger, stronger faster. [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/654843/seahawks-jaron-brown-interview-clayton/[/urltargetblank]
This is outstanding. If he still runs a near that 4.40 then he might really break out.

xray

Reaction score
I hope that Jennings and especially Ursua make the team. I have a feeling that Ursua will be a big surprise to many ; much like how Baldwin came out of nowhere and became one of the best ballers the Hawks ever had. GO HAWKS

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think we all are very interested as to which guys the team will keep and how capable the WR group will be this season. Many of us never truly appreciated just how good Baldwin was and how well he worked with RW until last season. He truly will be missed but life moves on and I am genuinely interested in this part of the team and how they will play and who will take a big step forward.

xray

Reaction score
Metcalf hopefully lives up to the hype . I actually don't like too much hype ; because we all get fooled into thinking that a particular player will be awesome and if he isn't then we're bummed out . I think that Brown took notice at the draft and knows he might be challenged for his spot . He could be good if given more opportunities . IMO

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1uui45lt said:
I think we all are very interested as to which guys the team will keep and how capable the WR group will be this season. Many of us never truly appreciated just how good Baldwin was and how well he worked with RW until last season. He truly will be missed but life moves on and I am genuinely interested in this part of the team and how they will play and who will take a big step forward.

Doug was productive even as a rookie in 2011, he was one of the rare WRs that didn't need a year or two to learn. In 2011, as a rookie, he caught 60% of passes threw to him for 788 yards and 4 TDs. In fact, Doug only thanked and praised one QB in his post retirement twits, that was his rookie year QB Tarvaris Jackson.

We got to hope one of our current rookies got some Angry in them and could contribute in year one. Of the three draftees, got to hope at least one of them could contribute like Angry's rookie year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ldDo00.htm

quadsas

Reaction score
toffee":36ljbsiv said:
jammerhawk":36ljbsiv said:

Doug was productive even as a rookie in 2011, he was one of the rare WRs that didn't need a year or two to learn. In 2011, as a rookie, he caught 60% of passes threw to him for 788 yards and 4 TDs. In fact, Doug only thanked and praised one QB in his post retirement twits, that was his rookie year QB Tarvaris Jackson.

We got to hope one of our current rookies got some Angry in them and could contribute in year one. Of the three draftees, got to hope at least one of them could contribute like Angry's rookie year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ldDo00.htm

yup...I think this rookie WR myth is simply same thing as QB myth used to be. Rookies cant play and need to be 'nurtured'. Or simply just give them touches instead? Baldwin even regressed in terms of stats following his rookie season, and he wasn't injured iirc. Just let them play man

chris98251

Reaction score
Baldwin flashed early in pre season, I liked him right away, Kearly thought he was a cut, he stuck and contributed special teams and when he got a chance on the field almost every opportunity. He then went on to reach out to Steve Largent and pick his brain and learn his secrets, then he went one step further and started practicing the Hand fighting drills with the defensive unit. Something nobody had seen done before at least here anyway.

He was always getting and making himself better.

Throw in his Mentality and we had piece of coal that hardened itself to a Diamond before our eyes.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Of the three rookies, Ursua might have the most ‘rightaway’ probability, dude is highly skilled and not just get by on his superior gift, one could even be mean and call his gift “so so”, guy like that trend to spent more time on research for solutions and more open to learning and adjusting. Our Angry fitted that description, so does Ursua. In fact Ursua’s 3-Cone Drill – 6.77 seconds and 20-Yard Shuttle – 4.16 second were Angry-ish.

Ursua is also older, which may limit his ceiling but he is more matured and understand the urgency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
hburn21":cpyqyfnf said:
For some reason Gary Jennings reminds me of 2011-2012 Ben Obomanu

I hope he runs routes better thanObo. I'm intrigued with him and wonder if some of the early draft hype surrounding him will prove to be true. I also suspect Metcalf will catch a good number of deep balls and will learn the tricks of boxing out CBs and outleaping them for long passes.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
We need at least two WRs either from the carried over roster from last season or the freshmen class to breakout, Lockett alone can't get it done. So far the coaching staffs have talked up Brown and Metcalf, with minimum noise on other carried over WRs. No noise on Jennings or Ursua as they were injured.

A Lockett - Brown - Metcalf threesome could be intriguing as all three got break away speed (4.4 sec or faster on 40 yards) , Brown at 220lbs and Metcalf at 228 lbs are both 6'3"; making it really hard to match up against for DBs.

xray

Reaction score
toffee":ykx81jl8 said:
Of the three rookies, Ursua might have the most ‘rightaway’ probability, dude is highly skilled and not just get by on his superior gift, one could even be mean and call his gift “so so”, guy like that trend to spent more time on research for solutions and more open to learning and adjusting. Our Angry fitted that description, so does Ursua. In fact Ursua’s 3-Cone Drill – 6.77 seconds and 20-Yard Shuttle – 4.16 second were Angry-ish.

Ursua is also older, which may limit his ceiling but he is more matured and understand the urgency.

Ursua is 25 years old...I watched his highlights a couple times ; and he played with maturity. He is already a man and looks like he can play with the men right out of the box. IMO

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Last season they kept 5 WRs on the 53. Do they keep 6 this season?

Lockett, Moore, Brown, Metcalf all seem like locks. I'd think they'd want to keep Jennings however, after that it's a battle that maybe Jennings is in with all the others. There is some nice size and certainly some speed with the top 4 and a curiously good group behind them.

I am very curious about Jennings who has nice size and was a solid contributor @ WVU. It'd be nice if he could develop into a a capable slot WR.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1zs2aycl said:
Last season they kept 5 WRs on the 53. Do they keep 6 this season?

Lockett, Moore, Brown, Metcalf all seem like locks. I'd think they'd want to keep Jennings however, after that it's a battle that maybe Jennings is in with all the others. There is some nice size and certainly some speed with the top 4 and a curiously good group behind them.

I am very curious about Jennings who has nice size and was a solid contributor @ WVU. It'd be nice if he could develop into a a capable slot WR.

Haven't seen much of Jennings during OTA's, he's had a hammy issue pretty much the entire time.

So not exactly helping his cause, hopefully it's not serious and he can really show what he can do in camp and pre-season. I actually like him a lot, he's fast as hell and a tough player. I could see him jumping up and grabbing a spot.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Measurable wise, Jenny and Darboh are quite similar. I suspect one of them will make the team, the other to practice squad? Again, Ursua and Reynolds share similar measurable too, could one of them make the team? Will we carry 6 WRs? May be it would be wise to carry six as there are so many unknowns?