49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

billbird2111

Reaction score
kearly":13fhonkk said:
Marvin49":13fhonkk said:
Might have something to do with getting Bowman, Willis, AND Borland on the field....

....but I'd rather stick with a 3-4.

And even then, you'd only have two of them on the field when running a nickle D.

Do they even try to move Brooks to DE? Speculation seems to be that the 49ers will move on from him. I think Aldon Smith has grown enough to handle being a 4-3 DE, but I only see two obvious 4-3 DL on your team right now (Dorsey at the 1 tech).

IMO it is easier to bring a pass rusher along as a 3-4 OLB than as a 4-3 DE, so I think Lynch will be hurt by this move. That said I think Lynch is a very good player and wanted him badly for Seattle.

Not sure who is going to create interior pressure for SF in a 4-3. I imagine this would be a high priority in the draft for them.

Whoever the next DC is, it's not going to be easy to ride the coattails of the previous year's top five defense after a scheme change.

If I read you correct and adopt the same wisdom, then Russell Wilson will suck when his QB coach leaves for greener pastures. Because, by your reasoning, it's all about the coaches, right?

I don't see it that way. The 49ers had a collection of talent that Fangio used wisely. But he's been D-Coord. at other NFL stops and never did anything like this before. It's why he was never in the running to be an HC. So -- the talent level on the 49er defense did have something to do with his success.

Finally, what would you have the 49ers do? Your Seahags road-graded us three straight times. We lost to OAKLAND of all teams. The 49ers weren't getting better under Harbaugh. We were getting worse -- and it was pretty evident in the two games we played against you guys this year. We never seriously threatened you. Not once.

So, changes were made. I don't know about Tomsula. I know the players back him and appear to absolutely love this move. But the fact that we don't have an offensive-minded coach does bother me. Tomsula doesn't know offense. He knows players. He has the love, support and loyalty of them. I wonder if it's enough.

But something had to be done.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
billbird2111":jdlgq5o0 said:
If I read you correct and adopt the same wisdom, then Russell Wilson will suck when his QB coach leaves for greener pastures. Because, by your reasoning, it's all about the coaches, right?

I don't see it that way. The 49ers had a collection of talent that Fangio used wisely. But he's been D-Coord. at other NFL stops and never did anything like this before. It's why he was never in the running to be an HC. So -- the talent level on the 49er defense did have something to do with his success.

Finally, what would you have the 49ers do? Your Seahags road-graded us three straight times. We lost to OAKLAND of all teams. The 49ers weren't getting better under Harbaugh. We were getting worse -- and it was pretty evident in the two games we played against you guys this year. We never seriously threatened you. Not once.

So, changes were made. I don't know about Tomsula. I know the players back him and appear to absolutely love this move. But the fact that we don't have an offensive-minded coach does bother me. Tomsula doesn't know offense. He knows players. He has the love, support and loyalty of them. I wonder if it's enough.

But something had to be done.

This is some terrific revisionism. Do you think you would be giving so little credit to Harbaugh and Fangio if they were still coaching for your team?

Fangio was named Defensive Coach of the Year at Stanford in 2010, the year before he joined the 49ers. In his very first stint as a DC in 1995 with the expansion Carolina Panthers, the Panthers tied for seventh in total defense and ranked sixth in scoring defense. In 1996, the Panther defense allowed just 218 points on the year, ranking second in the NFL. Carolina also yielded just five touchdowns and 56 points in the second half of games for the entire season, breaking an NFL record set by the 1985 Chicago Bears that still stands today.

The off-field distractions are what crippled the 49ers this year, not just all the arrests but also the uncertainty around Harbaugh's coaching status that only existed because Jed York and Trent Baalke allowed it to exist.

jkitsune

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":18bs1a2n said:
chris98251":18bs1a2n said:
They destroyed this year too. By not backing Harbaugh. All the players quit. Which led to the bad season. Injuries and suspensions of key payers too. You don't get rid of a coach like Harbaugh after one 8 - 8 year. You had 7 - 9 with your guy. Did you fire him? No you kept him.

This is the part that kills me. It's so painfully obvious to most observers how much the discord in affected the team, and it became its own little self-fulfilling prophecy. Firing a winning coach because he had one .500 year after 3 incredible years? Just awful.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
jkitsune":ccpn552y said:
SanDiego49er":ccpn552y said:
chris98251":ccpn552y said:
They destroyed this year too. By not backing Harbaugh. All the players quit. Which led to the bad season. Injuries and suspensions of key payers too. You don't get rid of a coach like Harbaugh after one 8 - 8 year. You had 7 - 9 with your guy. Did you fire him? No you kept him.

This is the part that kills me. It's so painfully obvious to most observers how much the discord in affected the team, and it became its own little self-fulfilling prophecy. Firing a winning coach because he had one .500 year after 3 incredible years? Just awful.

That is correct. I agree 100%. You certainly get it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
jkitsune":219drn2z said:
SanDiego49er":219drn2z said:
chris98251":219drn2z said:

To be fair, I don't think the 8-8 record is the reason Harbaugh was let go.

Much more going on.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That presser is comedy gold, Jerry, comedy gold!

I call it Rainman part 2. Holy shit.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Marvin49":1bigsgel said:
jkitsune":1bigsgel said:
SanDiego49er":1bigsgel said:
chris98251":1bigsgel said:

To be fair, I don't think the 8-8 record is the reason Harbaugh was let go.

Much more going on.

No, of course not, the 8-8 season is a flimsy excuse. My point is that I'd contend the 9ers went 8-8 in large part because of upper management's behavior, and if they'd stayed out of it, they may well have had a shot at a 4th consecutive NFCCG. Personally, the way Harbaugh had the 9ers playing, I don't think it should matter how little you get along with him, as long as he isn't breaking any laws.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
If you want to cry in laughter, read the thread on the 49ers forums where they posted while the press conference is going on. I'm in tears. A few nuggets:

somebody get Jim Tomsula "hooked on phonics"

baalke just sitting there and looking like the green goblin in spider man 2

I can't bear to watch this anymore, I am just listening that's all. But, man this is just super embarrassing. The guy just doesn't know what he is talking about, he can't even answer football-related questions. Jesus Christ man !!

Is he fired yet ?

Man, this sh*t is embarrassing !! So, this is our new head coach ?! Are you serious ?! The guy can't even speak !!

"Um my X's & O's um um um the draft blah blah building blocks blah blah ummm umm structure adapt"

I liked the part about his daughters being raised by football players....

I wanna cry

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... 5-presser/

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ixhj1yb said:
That presser is comedy gold, Jerry, comedy gold!

I call it Rainman part 2. Holy shit.

This is one of the greatest moments of the whole thing:
http://youtu.be/DQ5TG7mJRwk?t=21m13s

Jim Tomsula: "My X's and O's philosophy are a . . . [Tomsula looks down and shuffles his papers, Jed York shoots at glance at Baalke, Baalke starts laughing] . . . quite simply you build a team to a scheme. You go into the draft, you go into free agency and you acquire...you're in the talent acquiring business, to a scheme, OK? And then I feel like the most thing is when that's over, now you have to do a 180. And now, see I look at it from a personnel to fit a scheme. So, I'm looking at that scheme and I'm trying to fit the pieces. We don't live in a perfect world, it's not a perfect science. Things happen. People aren't available. So, once we have that talent and we have those players, now we have to flip that and now we look at it, we want to take that scheme and fit it to the players. So to me, when you talk philosophical, that's the way in building your schematics and building your approach to teaching and your building blocks, that's where the...you have to have that latitude going in there to be able to... It's a structure. We stay within our structure, but you have to have that latitude to be able to adapt and adjust your schematics to fit the players. So, I hope that answers your question."

Ted Baalke: "Matt, I think somewhere in there, he said we're going to run the football."

[youtube]wJuXIq7OazQ[/youtube]

hoxrox

Reaction score
Ouch... I'm sure Tomsula's a nice guy, but that presser was painful to watch.

I've enjoyed every bit of the 9er implosion, but now just starting to feel bad for them.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The upside is that the players will run through a wall for him. The downside is that he's a puppet and everyone knows it, which will make hiring quality coordinators difficult.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2oh4u3cv said:
The upside is that the players will run through a wall for him. The downside is that he's a puppet and everyone knows it, which will make hiring quality coordinators difficult.

Maybe . . . until they lose respect for him when they realize he has nothing but a couple marbles rolling around in his head. No philosophy . . . no vision . . . little understanding of Xs and Os. I doubt he lasts even as long as Singletary did.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1nc6ywx9 said:
Puppet is the term I was going to use. This whole thing just seems "Raiders" to me. Talking about defensive scheme changes? Is that for real? Is Baalke or York going to be sending plays in from the suite now?

It just looks like this is a temp hire until they find the guy they really want, but they will never get that guy if the choices are limited to Baalke or York. They will be shopping inexperienced guys, without an established group of peeps that just want a chance. That presser was painful because they made it sound like Tomsula was in high demand. The whole "boxes checked" crap. I can just see the list of boxes.

Cheap
Cooperative
Cheap
Expendable
Cheap
No Spine
Cheap

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Watching Tomsula's press intro made me go back to re-watch Carroll's Seahawks introductory presser. I found it in .com's archives.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...nference/8feaf6dd-11ab-4232-b6c4-22404a4f386d

The difference is astounding. Perhaps our biggest advantage is that our Seahawks is owned by an extremely savvy and seasoned businessman, who knows how to hire key leadership personnel.

I'm sure Tomsula seems like a nice guy, and I actually hope the Niner FO give him a fair chance. But I just don't see it panning out. The body language and nuance in the relationship of these three seems sketchy. Noticed Baalke sit in the middle seat and didn't think twice about offering it to Tomsula at the beginning of the presser. Tomsula asking if he should sit or stand...wtf?..you're the head coach, you decide. Not to mention that really awkward Baalke interjection about 'running the ball', that was mentioned earlier by another post.

Perhaps the most telling part is at 52:31 :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5TG7mJRwk&feature=youtu.be&t=52m31s

Compare that response with Carroll's vision from the get-go.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I liked him. I think people are reading into it what they want to. He's deftly sideswiped a lot of the minefields those reporters laid for him. He's not making any definitive statement and he's leaving all his options open.

Pretty deft handling of the press IMO. I think the guy is like jello.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":2w7j4y3y said:
Watching Tomsula's press intro made me go back to re-watch Carroll's Seahawks introductory presser. I found it in .com's archives.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...nference/8feaf6dd-11ab-4232-b6c4-22404a4f386d

The difference is astounding. Perhaps our biggest advantage is that our Seahawks is owned by an extremely savvy and seasoned businessman, who knows how to hire key leadership personnel.

I'm sure Tomsula seems like a nice guy, and I actually hope the Niner FO give him a fair chance. But I just don't see it panning out. The body language and nuance in the relationship of these three seems sketchy. Noticed Baalke sit in the middle seat and didn't think twice about offering it to Tomsula at the beginning of the presser. Tomsula asking if he should sit or stand...wtf?..you're the head coach, you decide. Not to mention that really awkward Baalke interjection about 'running the ball', that was mentioned earlier by another post.

Perhaps the most telling part is at 52:31 :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5TG7mJRwk&feature=youtu.be&t=52m31s

Compare that response with Carroll's vision from the get-go.

Jed and Baalke have outdone themselves. I thought there was no way they could orchestrate a press conference that was more idiotic than the one where they announced the firing of Harbaugh. Then they added the rambling, existentialist clown to the mix. Congrats, guys.

SalishHawkFan":2w7j4y3y said:
I liked him. I think people are reading into it what they want to. He's deftly sideswiped a lot of the minefields those reporters laid for him. He's not making any definitive statement and he's leaving all his options open.

Pretty deft handling of the press IMO. I think the guy is like jello.

Except he sounds like an absolute fool.

kearly

Reaction score
In fairness to Tomsula, a lot of DCs and OCs have years to groom themselves as head coach material. Tomsula probably knew he was a leading candidate going back a few months, but he never really had this process, and it showed in his press conference. It sounds like Harbaugh nor Fangio made any effort to make Tomsula their understudy. This is like an average AA player being thrust in the starting lineup in the majors.

With time and development, Tomsula could have become a legit head coach prospect. He has good verbal communication skills and connects with his players. I can see why Baalke felt the temptation to rush things. It reminds me a lot of the way Jim Zorn became a coach in Washington. He wasn't ready yet, but I think a lot of people viewed him as a future HC. That's why Daniel Schneider felt it was okay to rush things.

Nothing in this press conference is surprising. It is entertaining of course. It's almost like listening to the "internet is a series of tubes" guy for an hour straight.