49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1tsu64yd said:
In fairness to Tomsula, a lot of DCs and OCs have years to groom themselves as head coach material. Tomsula probably knew he was a leading candidate going back a few months, but he never really had this process, and it showed in his press conference. It sounds like Harbaugh nor Fangio made any effort to make Tomsula their understudy. This is like an average AA player being thrust in the starting lineup in the majors.

With time and development, Tomsula could have become a legit head coach prospect. He has good verbal communication skills and connects with his players. I can see why Baalke felt the temptation to rush things. It reminds me a lot of the way Jim Zorn became a coach in Washington. He wasn't ready yet, but I think a lot of people viewed him as a future HC. That's why Daniel Schneider felt it was okay to rush things.

Nothing in this press conference is surprising. It is entertaining of course. It's almost like listening to the "internet is a series of tubes" guy for an hour straight.

He's already had a press conference like this one before . . . in 2010, when he was announced as interim head coach. He then had nearly a year where it was rumored that he was the coaching heir, Baalke's favorite pet. He even recently went through two long interviews with Baalke and York, where presumably his coaching philosophy would have been at least broached. And yet, he couldn't string two cogent sentences together to assuage Niner fans and set his tenure off on a positive direction.

You are way too generous, kearly. This guy has no idea what the hell he's doing.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
After reading all of the comments on webzone about the presser, I'd love to see the Niners on Hard Knocks. "Bludgeon! Bludgeon! Pack your own bags! Don't forget your shoes!"

hawknation2015

Reaction score
-The Glove-":7lzfh9mk said:
After reading all of the comments on webzone about the presser, I'd love to see the Niners on Hard Knocks. "Bludgeon! Bludgeon! Pack your own bags! Don't forget your shoes!"

"We're late for our group jazzercise class!"

Jim Tomsula: "I'm going to apologize to Jed. That was a remedial example that I made. I'm sorry for that. But, you know just trying to make the point of doing the little things correctly."

:34853_doh:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Oh man this is hilarious... Just read this on the Twilight Zone in a thread bitching about Kawakami... A poster there wrote to the editor and this was his response

I don't read his blog, just the ones that the people here post. I used to read his articles years ago but he was never this much of a douche back then. I wrote to the Merc sports editor Bud Geracie about a month ago to complain about Kawakami, and he responded with this.

Hi, Jim

We're not looking for ratings; that's TV.

We're seeking truth. Where it concerns the 49ers,I can understand why you wouldn't want to believe him. Harbaugh has been a terrific coach and has turned things around.

But you need to understand that Nobody in the Bay Area sports media is more well-connected than Tim Kawakami. Nobody has working relationships with more team owners and team executives. Nobody gets his/her calls returned more frequently, or more quickly.

I won't be getting rid of him.

But I do believe the 49ers will be getting rid of Jim Harbaugh, or that he will leave on his own, and they will let him. Where there's smoke, Jim, there is fire.

best regards,

BG
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... lbOGIsR.99

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3epokrwb said:
He's already had a press conference like this one before . . . in 2010, when he was announced as interim head coach. He then had nearly a year where it was rumored that he was the coaching heir, Baalke's favorite pet. He even recently went through two long interviews with Baalke and York, where presumably his coaching philosophy would have been at least broached. And yet, he couldn't string two cogent sentences together to assuage Niner fans and set his tenure off on a positive direction.

You are way too generous, kearly. This guy has no idea what the hell he's doing.

I think you misunderstand. I am totally saying that Tomsula is in over his head.

I think a lot of guys, when they get promoted to OC or DC, use those years to learn the craft of being a HC from their bosses. They know they are getting close to a HC job once that promotion happens. Not only do they groom for a head coaching job by being taken under the wing of the HC, but they have to establish relationships with potential future assistants too. There's a reason why it's so rare for a coaching assistant to get hired, it typically takes a decade or more of NFL coaching experience and years of grooming as an OC/DC to be ready in the hyper-competitive NFL.

Nobody really expects to get hired as a head coach as a DL coach. Tomsula had months, not years, and based on what was reported it sounds like Harbs and Fangio did nothing to put him under their wing. He's also had only four years of NFL coaching experience on any level. Most coaches pay their dues in the NFL for a decade or so. Tomsula was part of NFL Europe (which doesn't count for much) and was out of football by 2006. For comparison's sake, Dan Quinn was also the 49ers DL coach once upon a time, back in 2003. Not only does Quinn have coordinator experience, but he's been part of the NFL much longer. And Tomsula is getting hired as a HC before Quinn is.

If Tomsula was part of a coaching staff that had produced numerous NFL head coaches, and had been there 10+ years, I'd be more understanding of this move. But he doesn't even have that going for him. No coordinator experience, no links to an established NFL coaching tree, and very little assistant coaching experience in the NFL.

IMO, the fact that Baalke even hired a guy in this situation would be the latest evidence that Baalke believes he is more important than any head coach. He seems to believe that the head coach is fungible, if not a figurehead.

Laloosh

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2ezf5exi said:
Oh man this is hilarious... Just read this on the Twilight Zone in a thread bitching about Kawakami... A poster there wrote to the editor and this was his response

I don't read his blog, just the ones that the people here post. I used to read his articles years ago but he was never this much of a douche back then. I wrote to the Merc sports editor Bud Geracie about a month ago to complain about Kawakami, and he responded with this.

Hi, Jim

We're seeking truth. Where it concerns the 49ers,I can understand why you wouldn't want to believe him. Harbaugh has been a terrific coach and has turned things around.

But you need to understand that Nobody in the Bay Area sports media is more well-connected than Tim Kawakami. Nobody has working relationships with more team owners and team executives. Nobody gets his/her calls returned more frequently, or more quickly.

But I do believe the 49ers will be getting rid of Jim Harbaugh, or that he will leave on his own, and they will let him. Where there's smoke, Jim, there is fire.

best regards,

BG
Loved the response.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kip summed it up.

This is Baalke's show.
When he starts the presser be saying there a a LOT of good coaches out there, he isn't saying picking one was hard, he is saying that everyone over rated Harbaugh. As long as Trent is giving the coach the right players, and some team direction, a guy with a modicum of talent can do this job.

A point he proves when he interrupts Tomsula to add his thoughts about running.

Just like John Elway starting his presser by thanking John Elway, there was more truth in those moments than a fan should find comfortable.

I would also like to point out that while some have said players would run through a wall for Tomsula, we are talking about defensive line players, also playing with Justin Smith and in front of Willis, two very self motivated guys. I remember the stark difference in how many walls those guys ran through when Smith had his arm injury, Tomsula or no.

I will be honest, I had no idea how Tomsula talks before yesterday. I assumed a guy identified by York and Baalke from within would shine in front of cameras just like Gus, Dan, or Tom have. Tom Cable can hold the room too. Tomsula was like watching Peter Falk do Columbo doing Rain Man. Frank Caliendo is going to have a field day with this guy, unless the Americans With Disabilities Act makes it somehow illegal to mock Tomsula.

THe only concrete thing I got from that is that Baalke is going be the ruination of the team. I am torn between cringing and dancing while Rome burns.

pehawk

Reaction score
Tomsula is Tony Sparano, with an extra chromosome.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
-The Glove-":39nqr00y said:

Hi, Jim

best regards,

BG

Kawakami...

The rock clap clap gif

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The fact that your new HC used to be homeless doesn't seem like the greatest selling point to me....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/49ers/status/556133834572328960[/tweet]

That's a legit tweet from the 49ers. So much comedy.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The one game he was headcoach he did one thing right: he deferred to his staff, who wanted Alex Smith in at QB instead of Mike Singletary's favorite Troy Smith, and let his coaches coach rather than neuter them (none of this HIT DEM IN THE MOUF nonsense).

So, if he gets solid assistants he can succeed. But who would want to work for Baalke/York after this b.s. besides people without solid resumes?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3m9wi58h said:
The one game he was headcoach he did one thing right: he deferred to his staff, who wanted Alex Smith in at QB instead of Mike Singletary's favorite Troy Smith, and let his coaches coach rather than neuter them (none of this HIT DWM IN THE MOUF nonsense).

So, if he gets solid assistants he can succeed. But who would want to work for Baalke/York after this b.s. besides people without solid resumes?
After this fails, and I am pretty sure it will, there may be no Baalke.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Speaking of solid assistants not wanting to work with Baalke/York.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/556148547079667712[/tweet]

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3m2yf11k said:
Speaking of solid assistants not wanting to work with Baalke/York.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/556148547079667712[/tweet]

Hmm, that's really odd. I mean, a few weeks ago a lot of the 49er fans on this forum told me I was wrong in assuming coaches will avoid working there. I was just being biased.

It couldn't be I've been more accurate prognosticating and interpreting the 49er situation better than their own fans, could it?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pretty soon they will call up Jimmy Raye.

Though oddly, this may actually drive them the right direction. there are some college pistol gurus out there that may end up a better fit, and more desperate to get into the NFL, which may work out for them long term a lot better.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":220d1dh7 said:
Pretty soon they will call up Jimmy Raye.

Though oddly, this may actually drive them the right direction. there are some college pistol gurus out there that may end up a better fit, and more desperate to get into the NFL, which may work out for them long term a lot better.

Jeezus Scotte, you could've found the downside of Hitler's death, huh (aside from the obvious)?

Very true, you depressing bastard.