49ers don't think they can afford to re-sign Armistead

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":sabewvu8 said:
TreeRon":sabewvu8 said:
"Armstead fills the same role as Green, Collier, and Jefferson." Like I said Green Collier and Jefferson....woulda, coulda and shoulda.

WE need as close certain compliment to Clowney as we can find. Hoping that someone who's never performed at a high level before will do it in the future doesn't cut it.
If one of those guys steps up next year great, as depth is always important.

If you guys go after him, more power to ya.

Armstead is a big dude with power, but he's not exactly a great edge rusher. He got a HUGE benefit from getting singled up all year with Bosa on the other side and rushed from inside quite a bit.

I don't want to make out like he sucks, because he doesn't. He's good. He just isn't irreplaceable and he isn't worth the contract he'll be offered.

Both in terms of how to use him and in terms of ability, I think his ceiling is Michael Bennett. He has been injured so much that the floor is basically a much less reliable Michael Bennett.

Someone who signs him hoping for an edge rusher is going to be disappointed, though.

94Smith

Reaction score
I think that Armstead finally found a role in a system that worked for him and the hiring of Kris Kocurek and the wide 9 alignment allowed a role.

Regarding our window closing, I think that is wishful thinking. Ronald Blair (IR and FA) and DJ Jones (IR) would be starting DL on any team. Trent Taylor WR is Jimmys biggest target and was tearing up camp before he broke his foot. We may not win the NFC west next year but we stand to be a thorn in the Seahawks side for the foreseeable future.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
94Smith":1gc6j0nk said:
I think that Armstead finally found a role in a system that worked for him and the hiring of Kris Kocurek and the wide 9 alignment allowed a role.

Regarding our window closing, I think that is wishful thinking. Ronald Blair (IR and FA) and DJ Jones (IR) would be starting DL on any team. Trent Taylor WR is Jimmys biggest target and was tearing up camp before he broke his foot. We may not win the NFC west next year but we stand to be a thorn in the Seahawks side for the foreseeable future.

I think you're overrating our own guys (I like Blair, Jones, and Taylor too, but I mean... :lol: ), but fully agreed that (barring major, major injuries) I'd be surprised if the 49ers aren't at least back in the playoff hunt next year.

Probably not nearly as surprised as I was about them being in the Super Bowl this year, but still surprised. :lol:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3vdhs57b said:
94Smith":3vdhs57b said:

I think you're overrating our own guys (I like Blair, Jones, and Taylor too, but I mean... :lol: ), but fully agreed that (barring major, major injuries) I'd be surprised if the 49ers aren't at least back in the playoff hunt next year.

Probably not nearly as surprised as I was about them being in the Super Bowl this year, but still surprised. :lol:

I'd be surprised if they weren't in the playoff hunt too.

I expect under Shanahan for the offense to be fine.

But that defense could easily fall apart. For one thing, the sum of the whole was much greater than the individual parts - this is what you want obviously and a great nod to Saleh. But when you break it down, you see how it could easily go wrong:

first, the run d was bad. 4.5 YPC allowed was 10th worst in the NFL.

second, we saw games where the pass rush was contained and the D looked bad - most of this was due to injury - Falcons and Rams games come to mind. But losing Armstead could be comparable to that.

third, we saw it with the Bears this year: it's nearly impossible to duplicate historically good defensive performances, and the Niners had that this year with their pass D.

When you add these up with the Super Bowl loss, I'd be surprised if the Niners didn't have the same experience that the Rams had this year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^Yeah, defensive performance is really volatile, which we already even saw across the season (they went from one of the best defenses all time in the first half of the year to just one of the best defenses of the year by the end).

IIRC top defenses usually stay in the top 3rd of defenses the next year, but rarely at the actual top again.

There's a real chance that there's not a bad team in the NFCW next year, and the division is wide open.

94Smith

Reaction score
Armstead has already said he is open to the franchise tag. I think the priority of Armstead, Ward and Sanders is Armstead in my opinion.

I think the key missing piece here and the anchor in the run game that most of you are not thinking about is DJ jones. This guy is really good as well

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
94Smith":1vy4z3bd said:
Armstead has already said he is open to the franchise tag. I think the priority of Armstead, Ward and Sanders is Armstead in my opinion.

I think the key missing piece here and the anchor in the run game that most of you are not thinking about is DJ jones. This guy is really good as well

I don't expect the 9ers to shed Jones as he's still cheaply signed through 2020.

Despite his injury history, Ward had a mostly healthy and productive 2019 showing KS/JL that he could live up to the "swiss army knife" rep they wanted him to. He's said he wants to stay in SF, SF doesn't have someone they like better at FS, and they can likely get him on a team friendly deal.

If Armstead leaves, the market might well mean Seattle won't get him either.

I'm fairly sure they will try to trade Thomas, but I think they'll try to hold onto the rest.