49ers still look like a shambles

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ on summer vacation until Chip gets canned. I'm fine with the losing but just ain't gonna root for him.

In any case, if you're confusing the basic logic in my post with homerism read the first two words of the post again.

Of the teams picking in the top 10 this year 7 of them aren't players in FA so far, and they're not because they're not stupid. The other three have special circumstances: the Jags didn't have a choice because of the cap floor, and the Giants and Chargers are trying to eek out one last run over these next few years with their aging quarterbacks.

I'm a fan of common sense more than any team. Any 9ers fans who are uninformed or shortsighted enough to want to mutiny over their very bad team not trying to right itself through FA deserve the really crappy team they have.

Maybe the 9ers turn it around more quickly and are better than they appear to be, but I don't see it. They were lucky to get to 5 wins last year (not being a smart@ass; they over performed). I simply have no interest in pretending that FA is a fix when we all know that's a total nonsense. To claim otherwise is to either play stupid or be stupid, neither of which is that becoming.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1pdqppil said:
peachesenregalia":1pdqppil said:
MizzouHawkGal":1pdqppil said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1pdqppil said:
According to Spotrac, they have $61m to spend. That's second only to Jacksonville.

And they're just sat there -- not doing anything to reshape that ramshackle roster.

The good teams can afford to play it cool in free agency. Others have to be proactive. That doesn't mean trying to outbid the Giants for Olivier Vernon. But you are allowed to, you know, actually sign players.

Chip Kelly's reputation an issue? Or just the overall malaise of the franchise?

2016 might be even worse than 2015 for them.
Dude, the West from Mexico to Canada from the Rockies was under Spanish control. Seriously, what is your issue against Spain? The fact that everything they have beyond the beer is flat out better than maybe the television IF you you have the Sky Network? I'm curious so tell me.

Pray tell you don't have a weird issue with San Francisco the place I was born because of it's Spanish name? Pretty much like the entire state of California. By the by the 49ers won't be chopped liver. I hate what Chip Kelly is trying to introduce but he isn't stupid. He's dangerous just like Bruce Arians. The saving grace is the fact he is in the wrong division to be successful as long as the other three coaches are there. He really should have stayed East or South or went to the AFC but that's his problem.

What?

Exactly what I was going to post. Tried to find some connection, hoping it is just a case of continuing a conversation from another thread. Strange response.

Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one that's confused.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Classic Baalke signing.

Could be Carlos Rogers or Antoine Bethea; could be Randy Moss or Shareece Wright.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3hud593k said:
^^^ Classic Baalke signing.

Could be Carlos Rogers or Antoine Bethea; could be Randy Moss or Shareece Wright.

Got yer point, but I wouldn't put Moss in the Wright catagory. He was HUGE in 2012. His numbers didn't reflect it, but he presence tilted the field and opened up space for the young Kap to complete passes. Moss was a far, far, FAR cry from his former self, but safetlies were still scared of him.

They had been looking for another guy to be that deep threat till last year when they finally signed Torrey.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ As I remember it Moss' year with the 9ers was kinda like Calvin Johnson right before retirement.

DBs still respected the idea of the deep speed he once had, but in usage for the most part he was limited to a catch radius guy on curl routes as DBs protected over the top on him.

We agree on the overall comparison though: Baalke likes guys who have at one point had success but are coming off down years, and are past the age where they're going to get more money under the assumption they might still be developing.

They're value signings and when they work you can get a pro-bowler on the cheap, and when they don't you didn't risk much to begin with.

Beadles falls right into that wheelhouse. He's 29 and is a former pro-bowler who pretty much flamed out on a big money 2nd contract and got cut.

From Baalke's perspective you have a guy who won't be improving but also won't really be in the decline until the end of the contract, and a guy who excelled in a ZBS (like Kelly runs) who was, I'd guess he believes, very mismatched in a power scheme.

That's the idea at least. If you're right you get a high end starter for the next three or four years on a budget, and if you're wrong it doesn't much matter because the contract (coupled with the cap room) doesn't hamper you from doing anything else you want to do at a later date.

That said, I think the Better Rivals guys really nailed the deal with Baalke in their podcast today: He's as good as any GM in the league when it comes to overall philosophy and strategy, but, over the last few years he has been as bad as any GM in the league when it comes to execution.

As someone who thinks execution in the NFL has much, much, much more to do with random chance than anyone wants to admit I'm totally fine with that, but at the same time, it's usually execution, not strategy, that gets people in the NFL fired.

That Baalke's still stubbornly sticking to his strategic guns I think is pretty neat, and that York seems to be okay with it too (despite generally being a resounding twit) is maybe the only complimentary thing I can say about him as well.*

*This is all of course pretending that what will obviously happen isn't already being seeded as we speak: The reactive neophyte York will end up pushing out Baalke in response to a Kelly & Gamble power play team-up.

rlkats

Reaction score
:180670:
Popeyejones":8p71m20j said:
^^^^ As I remember it Moss' year with the 9ers was kinda like Calvin Johnson right before retirement.

DBs still respected the idea of the deep speed he once had, but in usage for the most part he was limited to a catch radius guy on curl routes as DBs protected over the top on him.

We agree on the overall comparison though: Baalke likes guys who have at one point had success but are coming off down years, and are past the age where they're going to get more money under the assumption they might still be developing.

They're value signings and when they work you can get a pro-bowler on the cheap, and when they don't you didn't risk much to begin with.

Beadles falls right into that wheelhouse. He's 29 and is a former pro-bowler who pretty much flamed out on a big money 2nd contract and got cut.

From Baalke's perspective you have a guy who won't be improving but also won't really be in the decline until the end of the contract, and a guy who excelled in a ZBS (like Kelly runs) who was, I'd guess he believes, very mismatched in a power scheme.

That's the idea at least. If you're right you get a high end starter for the next three or four years on a budget, and if you're wrong it doesn't much matter because the contract (coupled with the cap room) doesn't hamper you from doing anything else you want to do at a later date.

That said, I think the Better Rivals guys really nailed the deal with Baalke in their podcast today: He's as good as any GM in the league when it comes to overall philosophy and strategy, but, over the last few years he has been as bad as any GM in the league when it comes to execution.

As someone who thinks execution in the NFL has much, much, much more to do with random chance than anyone wants to admit I'm totally fine with that, but at the same time, it's usually execution, not strategy, that gets people in the NFL fired.

That Baalke's still stubbornly sticking to his strategic guns I think is pretty neat, and that York seems to be okay with it too (despite generally being a resounding twit) is maybe the only complimentary thing I can say about him as well.*

*This is all of course pretending that what will obviously happen isn't already being seeded as we speak: The reactive neophyte York will end up pushing out Baalke in response to a Kelly & Gamble power play team-up.

:13:

Best observation of the week. Agree on all points.

rlkats

Reaction score
Largent80":7tfdjo43 said:
Who cares?...Niners suck and will for years to come.

Hey largent is that Tomsula as your pic??? Lol

chris98251

Reaction score
but, over the last few years he has been as bad as any GM in the league when it comes to execution.

I think he has done a fantastic job, he has been just shy of the total cast of the Expendables in body count and killing a franchise.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawknation2016":39bzt2dg said:
49ers have refused to pay the last three months of rent at Levi's, angering Santa Clara's mayor:
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-new ... 1458340764

"It was mentioned they had apparently reset their own rent without our approval," Mayor Lisa Gillmor said. "But I want every penny accounted for and delivered as per the contract."

How does this organization continue to find ways to look like complete embiciles?

Do they plan it out? I mean did they go hey we screwed over the kids for thier soccer fields and the Girl scouts but there is no football right now for the world to laugh at us about. What can we do to stay in the media and continue looking like the dumbest organization in all sports?

Hey, how about we quit paying rent on that stadium everyone knows the Yorks are raking 100's of millions off of?

We can play the victim role and try to make it look like we are getting screwed over even though it is publicly knowledge we are reaping the benifits of the fans ignorance.

Maybe if we're real lucky we can piss off local government and really start a shit show.

Or is it that they are just so dumb they thought no one would notice?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":31bd08js said:
hawknation2016":31bd08js said:
49ers have refused to pay the last three months of rent at Levi's, angering Santa Clara's mayor:
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-new ... 1458340764

"It was mentioned they had apparently reset their own rent without our approval," Mayor Lisa Gillmor said. "But I want every penny accounted for and delivered as per the contract."

How does this organization continue to find ways to look like complete embiciles?

Do they plan it out? I mean did they go hey we screwed over the kids for thier soccer fields and the Girl scouts but there is no football right now for the world to laugh at us about. What can we do to stay in the media and continue looking like the dumbest organization in all sports?

Hey, how about we quit paying rent on that stadium everyone knows the Yorks are raking 100's of millions off of?

We can play the victim role and try to make it look like we are getting screwed over even though it is publicly knowledge we are reaping the benifits of the fans ignorance.

Maybe if we're real lucky we can piss off local government and really start a shit show.

Or is it that they are just so dumb they thought no one would notice?

Geez...

Did you guys even READ the article. LOL.

"City Manager Julio Fuentes said the Niners have met their contractual obligations. Team officials say they've since paid up while talks continue.

But Mayor Lisa Gillmor, who took office last month and just learned about the missed payments, said she's not buying that explanation.

"I'm going to ask the city is made whole for their contractual obligations," Gillmor said Friday. "It needs to be paid." "

The City Manager right there said point blank the 49ers abided by the contract as written.

It should be noted that Lisa Gillmor was a stadium opponent and recently took office when Jamie Matthews left office. Sounds more like grandstanding to me by the new mayor.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ All true, but at the same time it doesn't much matter.

For the last 18 months or so the 49ers haven't been abe to go more than a month without being the subject of negative press.

Running around with your hair on fire because they rescheduled the night of a girl scouts sleepover or because the city manager understands how the stadium contract works and the new mayor doesn't is one thing, but at the same time, be it the stadium, former and current players, leaks from within the building or coaching decisions the 49ers look like crap from every angle on a shockingly regular basis.

Really the only complimentary thing you can say about that franchise right now is that they'll have to keep this up for another decade or so to achieve parity with the Browns. (and that's far, far, far from a compliment :lol: )

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2ap9fl2e said:
^^^ All true, but at the same time it doesn't much matter.

For the last 18 months or so the 49ers haven't been abe to go more than a month without being the subject of negative press.

Running around with your hair on fire because they rescheduled the night of a girl scouts sleepover or because the city manager understands how the stadium contract works and the new mayor doesn't is one thing, but at the same time, be it the stadium, former and current players, leaks from within the building or coaching decisions the 49ers look like crap from every angle on a shockingly regular basis.

Really the only complimentary thing you can say about that franchise right now is that they'll have to keep this up for another decade or so to achieve parity with the Browns. (and that's far, far, far from a compliment :lol: )

Don't disagree that they can't stay out of the news, but I also think at this point people are just LOOKIN' for stuff to print and pile on.

The girl scout thing to me was ridiculous. They always knew it could be rescheduled and it was bumped in favor of a Beyonce Concert.

If you bump Beyonce for the Girl scouts for free, that ain't exactly a sound business practice. The next complaint would be that the 49ers favor free events over lucrative Concerts and are costing the City money.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well if your busted over and over again on a street corner and then just happen to walk by one day and get busted again and were innocent you have made enough mistakes to cast reasonable doubt that your not on that street corner doing anything good, that's how many see the 49ers these days.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":388jaxct said:
Well if your busted over and over again on a street corner and then just happen to walk by one day and get busted again and were innocent you have made enough mistakes to cast reasonable doubt that your not on that street corner doing anything good, that's how many see the 49ers these days.

Honestly, I don't even disagree...

...just sayin' some of them are just ludicrous.

Jed and the Niners have done enough screwing the whole thing up...really not necessary to make mountains out of molehills as well.

Hard to believe just how much has changed in 2 very short years.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":103jc5yl said:
chris98251":103jc5yl said:

Jed and the Niners have done enough screwing the whole thing up...really not necessary to make mountains out of molehills as well.

Some saw this coming four years ago when it actually started, it just took two years before niner fans noticed. I won't mention any names though.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rideaducati":2bjrmvpd said:
Marvin49":2bjrmvpd said:
chris98251":2bjrmvpd said:

Some saw this coming four years ago when it actually started, it just took two years before niner fans noticed. I won't mention any names though.

That's really the point. This hasn't been just 2 short years. How many arrests were there from the Day Harbaugh stepped onto the field? Not to mention other news worthy items that didn't end up in an arrest.

Add in Jimmy's antics on the sideline and Keap's dolphins hat and post game interviews and you get closer to 5 years of news worthy black eye's on the organization.

But yes the last couple of years the 9er fans have noticed.