4D Chess Play Calling

hawk45

Reaction score
Reading some of the analysis, the playcall itself wasn’t necessarily fatal, it was that it being Parsons on that side and also their edges collapsing instantly so deejay couldn’t get out on the route borked it.

It also seemed that they believed Parsons would peel in that sitch, with the blitz on. If he peels, it looks a lot different.

Was it stupid to guess peel? Dunno, depends on what they’d put on tape in similar situations.

What I would say is that even if Parsons DOES peel, I’m not filled with confidence deejay wins that coverage matchup or gets 2 yards even if he does catch the ball.

Waldron guessed right all game long, not there, but it’s not as cut and dried as him believing parsons would come for the QB and saying oh well.

(Generally I hate Waldron, for the record)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Wow. Talk about getting too cute.

O-3 on fourth downs in the fourth quarter. Hawks ham ample opportunities but folded in crunch time.

But it was the refs fault they lost i've been told.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Never said he was. You tried putting words in my mouth. Holmgren was a great coach. He still won 0 rings for us while Pete won a SB. Those are the facts.

Pete wouldn't have won with Bill Leavy's crew calling the game either.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Reading some of the analysis, the playcall itself wasn’t necessarily fatal, it was that it being Parsons on that side and also their edges collapsing instantly so deejay couldn’t get out on the route borked it.

It also seemed that they believed Parsons would peel in that sitch, with the blitz on. If he peels, it looks a lot different.

Was it stupid to guess peel? Dunno, depends on what they’d put on tape in similar situations.

What I would say is that even if Parsons DOES peel, I’m not filled with confidence deejay wins that coverage matchup or gets 2 yards even if he does catch the ball.

Waldron guessed right all game long, not there, but it’s not as cut and dried as him believing parsons would come for the QB and saying oh well.

(Generally I hate Waldron, for the record)
My favorite play calls are the ones that require all players on the field to execute perfectly. :rolleyes:

cymatica

Reaction score
Worked vs the rams. I did quote a cpl former NFL players. Seems like execution.
Sure worked on the Rams with Charb, not on 4th down with the game on the line and a zero blitz leaving the top edge rusher unblocked with freaking DJ Dallas. You don't run a high risk play like that, with zero room for error and only 1 option to a 3rd string rb, with the game on the line. That's basic situational awareness

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sure worked on the Rams with Charb, not on 4th down with the game on the line and a zero blitz leaving the top edge rusher unblocked with freaking DJ Dallas. You don't run a high risk play like that, with zero room for error and only 1 option to a 3rd string rb, with the game on the line. That's basic situational awareness
They did same play and same setup minus charb.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yep i will. Holmgrens teams were also softer. They couldnt even get up for 10am games.

Yeah, they were softer which defends one of my points. Pete Carroll would not have gotten that team to the Super Bowl while Holmgren would have won multiple titles with the 2013-2014 roster.

Also, I don't care what team showed up, the NFL was not going to allow the Steelers to lose that game in Detroit being Bettis's swan song. They just weren't.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Yeah, they were softer which defends one of my points. Pete Carroll would not have gotten that team to the Super Bowl while Holmgren would have won multiple titles with the 2013-2014 roster.

Also, I don't care what team showed up, the NFL was not going to allow the Steelers to lose that game in Detroit being Bettis's swan song. They just weren't.
Yea i will disagree with you. I have a feeling you dislike PC so you have a biased opinion.

cymatica

Reaction score
They did same play and same setup minus charb.
I don't care if it worked against a different opponent with a much worse defense, not on 4th down with the game on the line, leaving the best edge unblocked. Two completely different situations. There's really zero excuse for running that play at that time, a play that requires perfect execution with only 1 option to a 3rd string rb.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Thats the rub. Holmgren wouldn't have been able to manage a roster full of volatile personalities like that.

Latest posts