4th and 1

SirTed

Reaction score
Just so we're clear - although I'm disappointed that the season is over and that we lost the game yesterday, I don't put it on a particular person.

I have a comment and a question about the 4th and 1 though.

It seems to me that any .Neter, or Hawks fan that pays close enough attention could have predicted the FB dive, fake to Marshawn play that we run on every 4th down. It's had a pretty decent success rate, so I don't HATE the call, but I feel like it was pretty obvious though.

My question is:

Would 4th and 1 be a bad time to come out in a Read / Option look? It seems to me that it would be the perfect time. We generally get at least 1 yard, even when it's not a "successful" play, and there is way more of a threat of a potential pass that the defense would have to respect.

Is there something I'm missing though? Is 4th and 1 a bad time for the Read / Option?

Soppie

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. If one of the other plays you mentioned did not work than we would be saying what about a FB dive? Surly Mike Rob could get 1 yard right?

Crizilla

Reaction score
4th and 1 inside field goal range that early in the game is unwise to go for with any play. Fact.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Crizilla":2p5kczv7 said:
4th and 1 inside field goal range that early in the game is unwise to go for with any play. Fact.

Dont start, this thread is posing a different question.

kidhawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":38adg5ua said:
Crizilla":38adg5ua said:

Not a fact. We were deep inside their territory and desperately needed to get something going. Also had plenty of game left so if you don't make it, not a huge loss. You need to knock it off. For real.

Although I don't think you can use the word FACT when playing the what if game like we are here, but desperate is pretty strong as well. Personally, I felt that at the time, we needed to put the points on the board. I had no idea then just how important those points would become, but at that time in the game, those points would have been a real boost. Sure if we go for it and end up with a TD it is better, but it's the risk vs. reward thing. They had been stopping the run quite efficiently and had just stopped us on the previous 3rd and 1. Nothing was there to say we'd be successful the next time. If we'd been running at will then it's a good call, but I believe that in this particular situation it was better to take the points.

The other lost FG, I don't put on Pete or on Wilson, I put that one squarely on Sweezy. He got beat like a red-headed step child. Even Wilson doesn't have enough magic to escape that one. Even a holding call there would have been better than letting him bullrush right past you like he did.

As for the OP, I think just about any play call in this situation was a bad idea. Of course if the ref would have seen pete screaming for a TO, maybe we do a better call on third down and this question isn't necessary.

seahawks08

Reaction score
There are 4 to 5 plays RW can run during that situation, the most conservative in the FB push. RW based on the formations made that call. Normally the identity of this team is a strong powerful line, so it was considered always a 100 percent probability. The problem was they rushed from the edge and got to FB, which is normally not the case.

Subzero717

Reaction score
kidhawk":3o0k72az said:
peachesenregalia":3o0k72az said:
Crizilla":3o0k72az said:

Not a fact. We were deep inside their territory and desperately needed to get something going. Also had plenty of game left so if you don't make it, not a huge loss. You need to knock it off. For real.

Although I don't think you can use the word FACT when playing the what if game like we are here, but desperate is pretty strong as well. Personally, I felt that at the time, we needed to put the points on the board. I had no idea then just how important those points would become, but at that time in the game, those points would have been a real boost. Sure if we go for it and end up with a TD it is better, but it's the risk vs. reward thing. They had been stopping the run quite efficiently and had just stopped us on the previous 3rd and 1. Nothing was there to say we'd be successful the next time. If we'd been running at will then it's a good call, but I believe that in this particular situation it was better to take the points.

The other lost FG, I don't put on Pete or on Wilson, I put that one squarely on Sweezy. He got beat like a red-headed step child. Even Wilson doesn't have enough magic to escape that one. Even a holding call there would have been better than letting him bullrush right past you like he did.

What is with the sweezy/moffit rotation? Sweezy was and is constantly owned.

zayden185

Reaction score
O-Line didnt hear the alerts for the shift in line

i saw that play work 5-6-7 times in regular year.

take the points in hindsight, but at the time i wanted a first down

12thMan1

Reaction score
Arguments could be made for either side. The obvious decision was to stay conservative and kick the field goal when we were desperate for points. I however agreed with the call to go for it on 4th and 1. It was the execution that I didn't agree with as I'm sure many of you agree. They should have (IMO) done one of two plays. The first and most obivious was to give the ball to Lynch. Even on 3rd and 1 that's what they should have done. But I actually would have preferred a play action pass call. If memory serves me correctly, the past few games where we went for it on 4th down, we had converted on pass plays most of those times.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":shtk55m3 said:
peachesenregalia":shtk55m3 said:
Crizilla":shtk55m3 said:

CALIHAWK1":shtk55m3 said:
What is with the sweezy/moffit rotation? Sweezy was and is constantly owned.

Sweezy may turn out to be a really solid lineman for us, I just think he's way to inexperienced. I could understand the rotation during the season more than I could during the playoff run. The only way to get better is with real game tests, but this time of the season is just too important to have someone in there who isn't the best player at the position.

Given an entire off season working with Cable and going from having the athletic ability to having the actual skills needed by an offenseive lineman, maybe Sweezy becomes the best player for the position, and some will argue that playing him in the playoffs is invaluable experience, but as a fan, I want to win now when we are in the playoffs and I didn't think playing Sweezy was the best way to accomplish that.

I do hope that Carpenter can stay healthy, as I believe he's a better guard than either Sweezy or Moffitt. Having Carpenter out there would make a more formidable line, and I don't think that sack happens if he'd been healthy, bu this ability to stay healthy will be a huge question until he can prove himself able to pull it off.

Latest posts