4th down PI

nepahawk

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1s0ouqo4 said:
nepahawk":1s0ouqo4 said:
vonstout":1s0ouqo4 said:
It was PI. Baldwin faked a post and turned out to the corner and got rubbed off his route. He had no chance of getting to the spot where the ball was thrown. Their legs didn't get tangled up. He hit him up high.

Without that shove, he's wide open in the corner!!

Not a shove, he bumped into him.

I saw arms extend, it was a shove. Defender was out of position and beat.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It wasn't a "shove" as I understand the term. A shove is an act that is strong enough to knock you completely off stride almost to the point of falling down. It was a push, and a very slight one at that. The problem was that the 'push' occurred just as Baldwin was about to cut for the corner and in a susceptible position. It was just enough to knock him off stride. It was a bad play call because it was a timing play where every thing had to go just right for the ball and receiver to be in the same place at the same time. There was no margin for error. He stumbles a bit coming out of his break and it's over. You generally don't call those types of plays on 4th down because they don't allow for the qb to improvise, especially a QB like Russell, where improvisation is his long suit. If we were forced to have gone for it, which we were not, I would have liked to have seen some sort of run/pass option.

If that was the best play we could come up with on 4th and 2, then it makes it an even worse decision to go for it. It's one thing if the coaches see something obvious that they know will work and have a good Plan B if it doesn't, but that one was an all or nothing shot in a tight coverage situation.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I disagree. A shove can be anything that causes a WR to not have a chance at the ball. You cannot touch the receiver. What happened to the NFL cracking down on holding and PI calls?

Jville

Reaction score
They call the game differently as the season progresses. The deeper they get into the season ..... the less they call.

My impression is that last year it was the Seahawks forcing opponents wide and necessitating that extra step or two to get to the ball. So far this year, opponents have had success using that technique against the Hawks. Forgoing the force of opponents into a slightly wider arch may have been compromised by concern over PI emphasis. Adjusting to how officials are trending later in the season is something they can adjust and correct for ...... both on offense and defense.

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":joec8bhu said:
It was a defensive penalty, whether PI or IC--you can't run into the reciever's route and let him run into you.

Yeah you can... That is an extremely common defensive technique, to get just ahead of a receiver and slow down.

RiverDog

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":22dvxe82 said:
I disagree. A shove can be anything that causes a WR to not have a chance at the ball. You cannot touch the receiver. What happened to the NFL cracking down on holding and PI calls?

It could have gone either way. A lot of refs allow that type of contact as long as they don't see something like grabbing a jersey. It was close, and not seeing all of what they were allowing or not allowing, it's difficult for me to complain about the no call.

Since we have not been victimized on defense by this new emphasis on PI/holding, it's hardly being objective to complain about a ticky tack no call based on any precedent they may have established.

The bad no call not withstanding, it was a bad decision to go for it and a bad play call IMO.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
That was clearly PI and I'm not a homer for flag calls.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RockinHawks":1hqsgiao said:
No, it wasn't PI. Baldwin wanted the call…but it was clean. It was a stupid play call on 4th down. That's all.
So...Players wanting the flag to be thrown had to be wearing red?
They pleaded to the Refs for intentional grounding on Russell Wilson......And got it.
There was bullshit bias Officiating in this game.
A pass interference that's ignored----A flag thrown for IG that was a blatant error, per the League's own rule book.
The Referees aren't suppose to be like the ones they use in phony Pro-wrestling, but, it's beginning to look more and more like that's where they're being trained.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ojz14n3 said:

It probably was PI, but Doug has to sell it better. He stopped after getting bumped and gave the ref a moment to decide if he could have got to the ball in the corner.

I think if Doug continues on his route to the corner even after getting bumped, he gets the call. Instead he stopped and flailed his arms up.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":p1mz8c9p said:
SonicHawk":p1mz8c9p said:

It probably was PI, but Doug has to sell it better. He stopped after getting bumped and gave the ref a moment to decide if he could have got to the ball in the corner.

I think if Doug continues on his route to the corner even after getting bumped, he gets the call. Instead he stopped and flailed his arms up.

I agree he has to sell it better, but the ref had an unobstructed view of the play and decided to let them play as if it were Seahawks DBs on steroids.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I get that, but there's no contact allowed while the WR is trying to catch it. Sure looked like PI to me.

RiverDog

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":38kr5wxr said:
I get that, but there's no contact allowed while the WR is trying to catch it. Sure looked like PI to me.

By rule, you are absolutely correct. But there is such a thing as incidental contact that they do allow that is an unwritten exception. I don't know about you, but I don't want refs calling defensive PI that closely. It will hurt us in the long run if they do.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Brock used this play in his latest Chalk Talk. Good insight from him, as always. And he thinks it was PI too.

[youtube]cTwAMQg3UIQ[/youtube]

RunTheBall

Reaction score
If it was Peyton Manning throwing to D. Thomas instead of Wilson to Baldwin it would be front page news about how the Broncos got robbed on a clear PI not being called.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3r01070q said:
If it was Peyton Manning throwing to D. Thomas instead of Wilson to Baldwin it would be front page news about how the Broncos got robbed on a clear PI not being called.

Although I don't necessarily agree that the no call was a bad call, I do agree with this post. The media showed their colors earlier this year when they complained loudly about a two year old OT rule when we beat the Broncos in a fashion that kept Peyton Manning on the sidelines during the overtime period even though the same reporters never said a frigging word when the same team won a playoff game by keeping Ben Worthlessburger on the sidelines. So yea, had that been Peyton throwing that pass, the media would have been all over that no call like files on a terd.

The media does have their darlings, and Peyton is the biggest of all. They need him for their marketing departments.