710 ESPN going downhill

ivotuk

Reaction score
710 ESPN Seattle announces new on-air lineup starting Tuesday, Sept. 7

Here’s what the new programming schedule looks like:

• The Mike Salk Show: 6-10 a.m. :251864:

• Jake & Stacy: 10-2 p.m. I like Jake and Stacy, but they struggle to fill hours.

• Wyman & Bob: 2-7 p.m.
Wyman and Bob and pretty good, but 5 hours? :zzzzz:

Danny has always been up and down, but mostly a good radio host, with his history in Seattle, and inside stories that he's experienced, or heard about. Gallant...meh...he has some good points now and then, and is a decent co-host for Danny. These guys were perfect for the morning show.

Jake and Stacy are entertaining, and it's nice to get tidbits of info from Heaps now and then due to his connections.

Same for Wyman and Bob. But I think these shows are all going to die from being over done. There is so much more out there to listen to, so many options, and this stuff is going to bore people to death!

ESPN has shot itself in the foot through poor management, and I hope they die a slow, miserable death. Take away Chris Berman from his viewers? Die ESPN! Die!

And that ESPN+ thing where they want to charge you for garbage content! Thank heavens for The Athletic! Real stories, written by real Sports Reporters whose job depends upon the ratings provided by paid subscribers!

ESPN thought they were untouchable and could ride roughshod over anybody they wanted to. :141847_bnono: A bunch of suits applying the business acumen to Sports. Thank you! Says Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated, and The Athletic to name a couple.

Goodbye ESPN :smilingalien:

Hello Corbin Smith and Rob Rang! :irishdrinkers:

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1492901/ ... ir-lineup/

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I haven't been very active here lately, but this is a topic I want to chime in on, since sports talk radio is near and dear to my heart.

710 is in such a spiral. Danny is gone. Gallant (like him or not, he was entertaining) is gone. Moore is gone. Brock is (basically) gone. Anyone else?

They started to lose me when Brock and Salk "decided" to step away and when they shut down the best show they had, Danny, Dave, and Moore. Those three had such great chemistry. I'd put that show up against any in the country.

They seem like they're just reaching at this point. I loved Brock and Salk, and I like Salk. But Salk having his own show? The only redeeming part of that is that he'll be on air starting at 6 AM. Unfortunately, I've become invested in Chuck and Buck on 950 at 6 AM. I like Salk with another voice. I'm not sure I can handle him on his own (even with a rotating cast or whatever they're trying to accomplish here).

They made all those stupid, unnecessary changes two years ago and didn't get Bumpus into a lineup, and this time around, they shaft him again. Jake and Stacy are good, but there should be no reason why Bumpus isn't added to their show. Or to Wyman and Bob (who quite honestly need a 3rd party).

A lot of the unheralded voices from that station are gone. Moore, Lydia Cruz, Jessamyn McIntyre. Where the hell is Boy Howdy?

I'm not sure I'll be listening much to 710 going forward. 950 isn't much better. Softy just really puts a damper on the whole station for me. I view Chuck and Buck as a separate entity from that toilet of a station. This is a chance to broaden my horizons with more local podcasts.

notyou

Reaction score
So glad they fired Paul. He was horrible. He tried so hard to be funny & never was. Danny was ok, at best. Hopefully this gets Stacey to stop being annoying. For a while it seems like 710 was trying to target 7yr olds. With the stupid air horn noises. I haven't really listened to 710 for over 2 months now.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Agreed 710 has gone down the tubes. Gallant actually grew on me over time. He admitted many times he wasn't a Seattle born n bred guy, but still was accurate and learned the history. His pace was his biggest problem. Salk by himself is lame. He's so boring without a co-host. He's always the poo poo'er of fun and sillyness. He needs Brock.

950 is great now IMO. They actually spend time on college sports and topics like recruiting, don't ignore the Cougs entirely, and have a good overall lineup. I love Furness, he doesn't bullshit. I actually like Softy alot too even though he's a huge Husky homer, but he's an unabashed Seattle sports homer and it's nice to have one PG-13 radio personality with some guts. He is the best interviewer on any station and gets people to open up.

My favorite show of all was Bob, Dave, and Moore. When they got rid of Moore it was all downhill from there.

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":71506zkn said:

• Jake & Stacy: 10-2 p.m. I like Jake and Stacy, but they struggle to fill hours.

Danny has always been up and down, but mostly a good radio host, with his history in Seattle, and inside stories that he's experienced, or heard about. Gallant...meh...he has some good points now and then, and is a decent co-host for Danny. These guys were perfect for the morning show.

Jake and Stacy are entertaining, and it's nice to get tidbits of info from Heaps now and then due to his connections.

Same for Wyman and Bob. But I think these shows are all going to die from being over done. There is so much more out there to listen to, so many options, and this stuff is going to bore people to death!

ESPN has shot itself in the foot through poor management, and I hope they die a slow, miserable death. Take away Chris Berman from his viewers? Die ESPN! Die!

And that ESPN+ thing where they want to charge you for garbage content! Thank heavens for The Athletic! Real stories, written by real Sports Reporters whose job depends upon the ratings provided by paid subscribers!

ESPN thought they were untouchable and could ride roughshod over anybody they wanted to. :141847_bnono: A bunch of suits applying the business acumen to Sports. Thank you! Says Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated, and The Athletic to name a couple.

Remember who owns them............... Disney.

knownone

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3fgo5qgz said:
Salk needs to fire himself.
This. He's a decent host but an abject failure at programming.

On the topic as a whole, I feel bad for Gallant. I'm not a fan of his show, but he never really got a chance to prove himself. He was beginning to understand the market, and the pandemic derailed his ratings. With that said, the station is downsizing to save money and scapegoating Gallant's show. They could've brought back Salk, moved Danny to the late show, and Gallant to the afternoon show if this was strictly about content.

notyou

Reaction score
The best move was to get rid of Paul. He was hot garbage.

Fade

Reaction score
Haven't listened to 710 since they took Clayton off the air. I tuned in to Danny and Gallant a couple weeks ago for about 20 mins and was appalled at how bad it was. I'm not surprised they got dumped. Sports radio is mostly dead in this town. Podcasts and YouTubers do a better job at this point.

I miss the good old days of Mitch-> Softy-> Gasman -> Locke (Groz was whatever.) Abandoned 950 after Mitch was removed.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Paul Gallant was on borrowed time from the beginning. He was a horrible fit for what they were aiming for, brought nothing to the table besides pop culture references. Basically the same thing that happened to him in Houston, his antics wore thin on the audience and co-workers alike.

That new lineup is in limbo to a degree, but 710 actually got a lot more listenable with PG (and to a lesser degree Danny) gone.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Wow. I'm happy they got rid of Danny and Gallant.

I voiced my displeasure for Gallant a few times on here. I wish him the best in what he chooses to do next. He seemed like a good guy. I just couldn't stand listening to him. And Danny...man did he get carried by Wyman and Moore in his last show. With less help, Danny Oneil came across as an egotistical narcissist who couldn't finish a thought. He started off like he was going to say something completely profound, but then lost track of where he was going and by the time he was done making his point, he said nothing new or entertaining.

This new lineup looks even worse though. Give Salk someone to talk to. Dilfer may be looking for work, get him. Not just him alone that will be painful

Vesuve

Reaction score
4 Hours of just Salk.

"It began as a mistake."

--Charles Bukowski

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Gallant became a semi-likable schmuck, but his whole 'most interactive sports talk radio show in Seattle, the country... nay.. the WORLD' schtick was stupid, given he wasn't even the most interactive sports talk radio show on his own station.

On that topic, I'm assuming Clayton is still coughing and wheezing his way thru his Saturday show. Love the guy and what he's contributed to the entire sports world over the years, but his voice is shot at this point.

Best guess with the new lineup is Salk just needed to get Gallant off the air and is filling time until he finds a new morning show crew. Why Bumpus isn't somewhere in the regular lineup is beyond me. Maybe he doesn't want to do it? As far as I'm concerned, he's the most likeable personality they've got.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GallantSays/status/1432781160166223873[/tweet]

sc85sis

Reaction score
chris98251":3rhkk5pz said:
ivotuk":3rhkk5pz said:

Remember who owns them............... Disney.
KIRO is owned by Bonneville. I think they probably have a licensing agreement or something similar with ESPN for the AM side, but they're a Bonneville station.

Unless I misread, someone other than Salk is now the PD as well.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good on yuh Paul. Appreciate the honesty, and frankly, what you just gave was a better persona than who you tried to be on the show. I feel bad for you, as I think you did try really hard to be accepted, and to be a part of the Seattle sports community.

A piece of advice, be yourself, and be honest like you just were. Makes it easier to connect with you. The giggly speed talking guy was painfully hollow.

Good luck to you. And what I always say: "I was looking for a job when I found this one." Learn and move on. And please, no more air horn.