Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports D-
Pete Prisco, CBS Sports C+
Matt Miller, Bleacher Report D
SI.com (author not listed) C
Vinny Iyer, Sporting News D
Mel Kiper, ESPN C-
Chad Reuter, NFL.com C+

These guys are literally guessing.

And let's bring this out again, it's always good for a laugh.

[youtube]SpD09ymv3dw[/youtube]

Schrager is one guy I would like to punch in the face just because it would make me feel better. Can't stand that douche.

toffee

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1kzgnkcv said:
The 2012 Draft class grades.

Donald Wood, Bleacher Report F
Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports D-
Pete Prisco, CBS Sports C+
Matt Miller, Bleacher Report D
SI.com (author not listed) C
Vinny Iyer, Sporting News D
Mel Kiper, ESPN C-
Chad Reuter, NFL.com C+

These guys are literally guessing.

And let's bring this out again, it's always good for a laugh.

[youtube]SpD09ymv3dw[/youtube]

Somehow I think Paul, Pete and John watched this regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Why any of us waste time watching some schmo tell us how crappy they think their opinion of our draft was escapes sensibility.

These guys certainly had their heads up their rear ends on that draft especially Peter Shraeger (?sp.).

Mad Dog

Reaction score
RB's the Seahawks have drafted in the 1st round:
Curt Warner
John L Williams
Shaun Alexander

And our other great RB, Marshawn Lynch was also a 1st round pick

It's no coincidence that our greatest franchise years came with a franchise 1st round RB. Let's hope Penny becomes the next great Seattle RB.

I am totally on board with drafting RB's in the first these days. The defenses are getting lighter to speed rush the QB's which makes a solid running game increasingly valuable. Yes its a passing league but if you can't run, your QB is a sitting duck with all these athletic pass rushers.

The best Seahawks teams were balanced offensively. Well maybe not the 84 team (but that showed in the playoffs).

Seymour

Reaction score
If Seattle can't block, it won't be able to run in the red zone.
Good luck, Russell Wilson.

They are not saying it was a bad pick. They are saying to fix the run game you have to fix the oline, which I happen to entirely agree with (see our clear evidence with Collins last year). The question is...is it fixed? I doubt it will be even average, but believe it should be a little better....we will see.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":21rddg39 said:
themunn":21rddg39 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":21rddg39 said:
Bleacher Report says Seattle made the 8th worst pick of the draft. I hope they're wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

What is says about Barkley rings completely untrue though. The list of high picked RBs runs pretty good

OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Barry Sanders
Eric Dickerson
LT
Marshall Faulk
Tony Dorsett
Walter Payton
Gale Sayers

All hall of famers that were picked in the top 5. More than a quarter of RBs in the HoF were picked in the top 5. Then you also have Jim Brown, Marcus Allen, Larry Csonka, John Riggins Jerome Bettis among others picked in the top 10. There are probably others among the older players (particularly pre-superbowl era) that were also picked high that are in the HoF that I'm not aware of.

Plenty others who maybe didn't have transcendent careers but were still very good players, Jamal Lewis, Edgerrin James, George Rogers

And then the likes of Bo Jackson, Billy Sims, who had short careers due to injury but were "tilt-the-field" players when they were on it.

So basically what I'm saying is if you want a Hall of Fame running back you need to pick them early or you've got practically no chance, so this BR article is not worth reading... I never even got to the bit about the Seahawks pick

By your own admission roughly 25% of HoF RB's are top 5 picks, the remaining (roughly) 75% aren't.

I think I'd rather take my chances on the 75%, personally.

Your chances are still far less than his when you look at the volume of players those 75% have to come from as opposed to just the few that come from top 5 picks at RB.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yes, but you don't need a HoF RB to win the SB. The league has changed quite a bit since many of those guys carried the ball.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
adeltaY":3304thtt said:
Yes, but you don't need a HoF RB to win the SB. The league has changed quite a bit since many of those guys carried the ball.

Seahawks have been to the SB 3 times and all three times had a near-HoF RB toting the ball. League hasn't changed that much.

Case Keenum out-dueled Tom Brady for the Lombardi a few months ago. That happened. In an era everyone says you need a franchise QB to win.

What you need is balance. Run, pass, defend, kick.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Mad Dog":25s8ldzd said:
adeltaY":25s8ldzd said:

Seahawks have been to the SB 3 times and all three times had a near-HoF RB toting the ball. League hasn't changed that much.

Case Keenum out-dueled Tom Brady for the Lombardi a few months ago. That happened. In an era everyone says you need a franchise QB to win.

Well said. There is too much emphasis on what you don't need. Winning a Super Bowl is hard, and being great at any aspect is helpful to getting there.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":33t7uf5e said:
They are not saying it was a bad pick. They are saying to fix the run game you have to fix the oline, which I happen to entirely agree with (see our clear evidence with Collins last year). The question is...is it fixed? I doubt it will be even average, but believe it should be a little better....we will see.

This how I feel too. Solari would need to be really special to make the line just average. I hope he can.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3se1pn2s said:
adeltaY":3se1pn2s said:

First of all it was Foles who was in the SB. Also that's recency bias. The only other non-franchise or HoF level QBs to appear in SBs this decade have been Kaepernick and Flacco and Flacco got paid like one.

Passing is more efficient than rushing. I agree running is important in short yardage and goal line situations as well as a means to kill the clock after getting a lead. A good run game is good to have and helps keep your QB safer, but the passing game is more important these days.

For the Seahawks, we had success with Lynch carrying the ball. With a worse OL and almost no hope of getting an RB as good as Marshawn, we should evolve our offensive philosophy IMO.

original poster

Reaction score
I maintain my thought that the main thing you need to win a Super Bowl is luck. Of course there are other elements but luck is the main one IMO.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I’m hoping that the blocking for our run game will improve by moving away from the scheme that had all five dive on the turf and roll over like turtles on the free way.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":2poqxkcs said:
I maintain my thought that the main thing you need to win a Super Bowl is luck. Of course there are other elements but luck is the main one IMO.

Interesting. Luck over talent? Even if one wants to classify injuries (or lack there of) as luck, in many cases it can be traced back to age or conditioning. I completely disagree, and believe that talent is the #1 ingredient in winning a SB, and its not even close IMO.

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":3n4l2xx7 said:
original poster":3n4l2xx7 said:

Interesting. Luck over talent? Even if one wants to classify injuries (or lack there of) as luck, in many cases it can be traced back to age or conditioning. I completely disagree, and believe that talent is the #1 ingredient in winning a SB, and its not even close IMO.

Yep I stand by that.

You can have all the talent in the world but if a few things don't go your way, you don't stand a chance.

If talent is the number 1 ingredient, we may as well announce the 2018 Rams as Super Bowl champs now.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":200c65uk said:
Seymour":200c65uk said:
original poster":200c65uk said:

Yep I stand by that.

You can have all the talent in the world but if a few things don't go your way, you don't stand a chance.

If talent is the number 1 ingredient, we may as well announce the 2018 Rams as Super Bowl champs now.

Nope because luck does have some merit along with team chemistry and coaching as well. The discussion is the #1 most important ingredient. Talent doesn't get you a guaranteed win, but it puts you in the conversation to contend for it, and without it you are not even that far. When was the last time the Browns won a SB again? Are they that "unlucky"?

original poster

Reaction score
If you want to make a proper topic out of it be my guest, I'll gladly contribute but lets get this topic back on track.

chris98251

Reaction score
Luck aspect.

No Injuries to key player.

Refs don't botch calls at critical times.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
mikeak":1d5xuasn said:
This is saying it was a huge mistake because Seattle should have drafted an OL player. So anyone that Seattle drafted that wasn’t an OL player would be a huge mistake. Then add the reach for Perry

I do think they are ignoring new OL coach that will do more with less and Perry’s return skills which will spare Lockett

Not to mention he's a really good receiver.