A 2016 Jermaine Kearse article - be nice

ivotuk

Reaction score
There's nothing simple about all of this, it's not black and white, he's wrong/he's right.

Like someone mentioned above, Kearse is a late read, and a lot has changed by the time Wilson makes the decision. Did he start to move to his right, WR adjusts to Russell's movement...etc. etc.

A LOT of RW's plays go well beyond the play called, and the other 10 offensive players have to adjust to that.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
We can do better than Kearse. He's not an upper echelon WR. WR is a position this team really needs to address in the off season Baldwin is the only real consistent option Russ has. Jimmy shows up one game gone the next .

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Something doesn't jive here. Kearse's drop rate is only 2%, but Wilson's rating throwing to him is a fraction of a point off just throwing the ball into the dirt?

To me, that indicates maybe Kearse just isn't running the route as he should and Wilson expects him to be where he throws the ball, and isn't. That would explain the low drop rates while accounting for the atrocious throws his way.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2f0e7ae1 said:
Kearse is catching only half the balls thrown his way, but his drop rate is only 2%. That means a lot of his "targets" are not catchable passes.

It's my belief, that most of his passes are of the desperation heaves by Wilson who is in the midst of running for his life.

Beren

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1r6fi39z said:
KiwiHawk":1r6fi39z said:
Kearse is catching only half the balls thrown his way, but his drop rate is only 2%. That means a lot of his "targets" are not catchable passes.

It's my belief, that most of his passes are of the desperation heaves by Wilson who is in the midst of running for his life.

I disagree with this. Stats are useful, but your eyes are better - throwing to Kearse is often the plan IMO. Certainly until recently the plan has been to get Kearse volume.

I would attribute the 2% statistic to the definition of the statistic. Presumably he has to have got a hand to the ball for the stat to come in as dropped, but the onus is on both he and RW to make sure he is in a position to catch it.

There is no reason which rings true as to why our passing game is so much worse throwing to Kearse than the rest. Maybe part Kearse/part RW - there's genuinely no way for us to know who is messing up (Kearse with the route/Russ with the throw/bit of both?) - either way RW doesn't seem to suffer with the other receivers in the same way. If they can work on it in the off-season and get their rhythm going such that throwing to him is similar to Baldwin, Lockett or Graham - fantastic - but come play-offs why risk it? That said, if McEvoy works out and it's possible to move Kearse on and free up salary......

It's not a hate campaign, but equally past heroics shouldn't excuse objectivity when looking at whether he deserves snaps now.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1im1qe93 said:
In one sentence:

Wilson, 35 yard pass to Kearse in overtime, to send the Seahawks back to the Superbowl, 28 to 22, in the most unlikely comeback and extraordinary finish, with Aaron Rodgers swallowing bitter pills and Michael Bennett riding a bicycle.

My favourite Seahawk win ever, and I for one will never be critical of Jermaine Kearse.

It's funny you mention that because all I remember from that season is the following game in which Russell threw a beautiful rainbow into Kearse's hands during the 4th quarter and he dropped it. Had he made that catch, we would've milked the clock down in the 4th quarter and kicked at minimum a field goal. Instead, we gave the ball back to Brady and the rest is history.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":394dh3mr said:
We can do better than Kearse. He's not an upper echelon WR. WR is a position this team really needs to address in the off season Baldwin is the only real consistent option Russ has. Jimmy shows up one game gone the next .

How do they they go about this? Seahawks are already maxed out at 2016 cap. Even with cap going up to 151M, they will likely extend Britt, Kam and Bennett. They're goning to eat most the of the cap increase. Kearse is owed 3.4M next year in guaranteed money so there is that as well. Hawks will be drafting late and WR will not be a primary target. So what is the plan. And by the Lockett has been a performer that s season n addition to Baldwin

Largent80

Reaction score
ludakrishna":3rshlmqt said:
Palmegranite":3rshlmqt said:
In one sentence:

Wilson, 35 yard pass to Kearse in overtime, to send the Seahawks back to the Superbowl, 28 to 22, in the most unlikely comeback and extraordinary finish, with Aaron Rodgers swallowing bitter pills and Michael Bennett riding a bicycle.

My favourite Seahawk win ever, and I for one will never be critical of Jermaine Kearse.

It's funny you mention that because all I remember from that season is the following game in which Russell threw a beautiful rainbow into Kearse's hands during the 4th quarter and he dropped it. Had he made that catch, we would've milked the clock down in the 4th quarter and kicked at minimum a field goal. Instead, we gave the ball back to Brady and the rest is history.

And it's even funnier that you mention this because he made an incredible sick catch on the last drive to get a first down enabling us to get to the red zone.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yes! And that clutch catch, off the left hand, then the right hand, left knee, right knee, connected to the ham bone etc... ...was also a 35 yard reception.
Maybe the key is for Kearse to run exclusively 35 yard routes.

hburn21

Reaction score
Largent80":3nox78q1 said:
ludakrishna":3nox78q1 said:
Palmegranite":3nox78q1 said:
In one sentence:

And it's even funnier that you mention this because he made an incredible sick catch on the last drive to get a first down enabling us to get to the red zone.
If he catches the ball on 3rd down instead of dropping it, that catch never even has to happen. For some reason people give Kearse a pass on his terrible play because he makes one play late in the game. But if he makes the plays early in the game those late game heroics aren't necessary

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
hburn21":2guzx0n7 said:
If he catches the ball on 3rd down instead of dropping it, that catch never even has to happen. For some reason people give Kearse a pass on his terrible play because he makes one play late in the game. But if he makes the plays early in the game those late game heroics aren't necessary

So what you're saying is... Jermaine Kearse is the Andrew Luck of receivers.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
hburn21":1l84ohfh said:
Largent80":1l84ohfh said:
ludakrishna":1l84ohfh said:
Palmegranite":1l84ohfh said:
In one sentence:

If he doesn't catch the ball in OT against the Packers, the game never even happens, and no bicycle....How far back in history do you want to spin this negative narrative anyways?

These catches by Kearse. The fake punts by Ryan. The improbable "never say die" comebacks on the back of Russell Wilson...are the lore of this Seahawks era.
Kearse still has an opportunity to redeem any of this season's perceived shortcomings in the upcoming games and playoffs.

Be Nice.

hburn21

Reaction score
he doesn't let passes bounce off his hands for int's we probably don't have to go through overtime. If Kearse would just make the basic football plays the entire game we don't have to have late game or ot heroics.
I don't hate Kearse and appreciate what he has done but I'm not living in past seasons. He's not worth his contract and needs to be phased out the offense

Largent80

Reaction score
hburn21":1jiglil8 said:
he doesn't let passes bounce off his hands for int's we probably don't have to go through overtime. If Kearse would just make the basic football plays the entire game we don't have to have late game or ot heroics.
I don't hate Kearse and appreciate what he has done but I'm not living in past seasons. He's not worth his contract and needs to be phased out the offense

Good luck with that coach Heartburn.

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1uai9xis said:
...I buy the "late read" idea - Kearse is down in the read order, so by the time he's targeted, Wilson is under fire and throwing fro inhospitable circumstances. The difference is if he throws it directly into the ground, it's intentional grounding. If he throws a desperation toss to Kearse, there's a chance, however slim, of a completion...
Excellent thought! Much appreciated. :2thumbs:

Go Hawks,
BillA

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure how the author can come to this conclusion?

and those plays have little to do with Kearse himself.

The play against the Panthers where Kearse tried to catch the ball and simultaneously reach for the goal and dropped it wasn't his fault? How bout the 5-6 other passes that bounced off his hands or he couldn't bring in?

How bout the last play fade in NO where he couldn't go up and get it? That was on Russell too, but holy moly make a damn play already this year.

hburn21

Reaction score
Largent80":5plyh6u9 said:
hburn21":5plyh6u9 said:

Solid rebuttal, really insightful knowledge right here

Largent80

Reaction score
hburn21":2od9plv2 said:
Largent80":2od9plv2 said:
hburn21":2od9plv2 said:

Solid rebuttal, really insightful knowledge right here

The STAFF likes Kearse, what YOU like doesn't matter, does that help? Or do you need some Tums?