A few thoughts and observations on Wilson

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Naw, if Wilson continues to be even half this bad, they'll cut bait in 2026 (three more seasons after this one) with "just" $31M in dead money. If he continues to be as bad as this year (or gets even worse 😬), they might take the $49M of dead money to get the $8M or so of cap savings to start over in 2025 (two more seasons after this one).

If Wilson's performance improves from its current bottom-quarter-of-starters level, he might get 4-5 more years. But if he continues to believe he's in the same category as Manning and refuse to be shackled by some kind of copy of what's unfairly been called Peteball (it was what Carroll had to do in order to minimize the damage to the team from Wilson's limitations), he'll only last 2-3 more, and then I doubt he'll even be an NFL starter after that. And since I don't think he's going to be interested in a backup-QB salary, I doubt he'll be in the NFL at all.

The Broncos aren't eating 31M of cap on a QB, so the out is 2026.

That's 4 years.

Now maybe some other desperate franchise is willing to take Russ on for a year to see if they can resurrect him? That's certainly possible, a trade in the last year of his guaranteed money in 2025. But the Broncos would probably have to pay half or more of his salary just to get rid of him.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Broncs offered us sf’s first rounder for next year and maybe a third in 2024 for Lockett, then go all in on recruiting dan Quinn as hc, who would bring schotty as oc.

If you’re stuck with Russ, all you can do is try to build the Seattle he succeeded with around him.

I would be very surprised. I think at this point, the Donks are done dealing with Seattle for the foreseeable future because they got burned on the Russ trade.

Besides, to be very honest, the reason for Geno's success is because he has a lot of weapons around him + better protection than Russ had at this point last year. It would be a mistake for Seattle to start trading away the pillars of their offense.

Keep Lockett. Let the Donks circle the drain with Russ and his cadre of 3rd tier weapons.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Lockett is no longer crucial in the way he was under Russ. This is no knock on Tyler But rather acknowledgment of our o and its efficiency. Look at what they’ve got with Goodwin. He’s finally a star.

keasley45

Reaction score

RW looks human here, like a fully dialed in PLAYER and not a pr master.

Russ today would monotonally list off names on the offense and say “good job.” Then he’d look right into the camera and thank viewers for inviting him into their living room or something corny like that.

Sherm is still Sherm. But Russ isn’t the guy that’s in the above video anymore.

the golden years

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Lockett is no longer crucial in the way he was under Russ. This is no knock on Tyler But rather acknowledgment of our o and its efficiency. Look at what they’ve got with Goodwin. He’s finally a star.
I disagree. Lockett's route running is far superior to Goodwin's. It would be a HUGE mistake to trade Tyler and keep Goodwin.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The Broncos aren't eating 31M of cap on a QB, so the out is 2026.

That's 4 years.

Now maybe some other desperate franchise is willing to take Russ on for a year to see if they can resurrect him? That's certainly possible, a trade in the last year of his guaranteed money in 2025. But the Broncos would probably have to pay half or more of his salary just to get rid of him.
Don't think the fans will tolerate FOUR years of Wilson, not the current Wilson. They might have to sign another QB and sit Wilson as backup. I don't think his contract forbids the team from benching him. Don't think they have the cap, otherwise it will be so funny of they sign Geno as starter lol.