A fun idea I had (mock draft game)

kearly

Reaction score
Nobody knows how the draft will go down and every mock draft will be dubious to use as reference to some degree. Knowing that perfection is unobtainable and this exercise is just for fun, I present the following Mock Draft by Walter Football:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_1.php

Pretend that you are the Seahawks GM and you hold each Seahawks pick in this mock. Who would your picks be? I'll probably do this every now and then with different mocks. Anyway, here's mine:

#32 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Nobody really jumps out, so I take the guy with the most pure talent.
#64 G/T David Yankey. Not the best combine, but he plays stronger than his 22 BP reps. Worth noting that Unger and Sweezy had 22 and 21 reps respectively.
#128 DT Will Sutton. It's not that I love Sutton, but he can dominate at times and it's hard to say no to him for this kind of price.
#134 WR Brandon Coleman. 6'6" and flashed dominance at Rutgers.
#160 WR Jeff Janis. Great athlete with a lot to learn about catching contested throws. Requires patience but could be great. Reminds me slightly of Luke Willson when he was playing most of his snaps at WR for Rice.

randomation

Reaction score
Only did first few rounds but picked up

Mike Evans - traded up to 17 for 2015 first
and
Ra'shede Hageman - Was still there at 64 crazy

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kearly":1qxrffpt said:
Nobody knows how the draft will go down and every mock draft will be dubious to use as reference to some degree. Knowing that perfection is unobtainable and this exercise is just for fun, I present the following Mock Draft by Walter Football:

Pretend that you are the Seahawks GM and you hold each Seahawks pick in this mock. Who would your picks be? I'll probably do this every now and then with different mocks. Anyway, here's mine:

#32 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Nobody really jumps out, so I take the guy with the most pure talent.
#64 G/T David Yankey. Not the best combine, but he plays stronger than his 22 BP reps. Worth noting that Unger and Sweezy had 22 and 21 reps respectively.
#128 DT Will Sutton. It's not that I love Sutton, but he can dominate at times and it's hard to say no to him for this kind of price.
#160 WR Jeff Janis. Great athlete with a lot to learn about catching contested throws. Requires patience but could be great. Reminds me slightly of Luke Willson when he was playing most of his snaps at WR for Rice.

If Sweezy is considered a bar for something, then the bar is awfully low. Not saying that Sweezy isn't improving just using him as an example of a good OL is a stretch.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
randomation":2ryc7213 said:
http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx can also play with this
This is my favorite though it has too many trades. Heres my latest.

Round 1 Pick 12 (NYG): Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (A)
Traded our first(32) and fifth (pick 32 in fifth) plus next years first to NYG and picked up who I think is one of the best players in this draft.
Round 3 Pick 13 (S.F.): Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame (A)
Traded down from pick 64 and picked up some third round picks. Troy Niklas is a solid pick up for us I think.
Round 3 Pick 30 (S.F.): Keith McGill, CB, Utah (A-)
I suspect Carrol and John would love to pick up Mcgill in the latter picks of round three.
Round 4 Pick 29 (S.F.): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State (B+)
I saw this as a value pick up especially with Max Unger struggling this year.
Round 4 Pick 32: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (B-)
At this round I think Coleman makes sense.
Round 5 Pick 24 (CINN): Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fla.) (B)
Typical move for Pete and John. Lots to work with but needs motivation and coaching.
Round 6 Pick 9 (BUF): Brent Urban, DE, Virginia (C+)
Has the measurables that I'm sure they would like.
Round 6 Pick 17 (K.C.): Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh (A)
Picking up Devin street here would be a steal.
Round 6 Pick 29 (S.F.): Anthony Fera, K, Texas (A)
I think Haushka is gone so I went with best kicker available.
Round 6 Pick 32: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida (C+)
Another value pick.
Round 7 Pick 25 (S.D.): Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (C)
Injured but is at least a second round talent if not late first.
Round 7 Pick 32: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (B+)
Why not at this pick?

aawolf

Reaction score
kearly":g8ellz45 said:

First round--Ummm, I'd go with Dee Ford, like they did , if he's there (this is the first draft I've seen him drafted so low). If not, I'd go with Morgan Moses, OT, out of Virginia.

Second round--I'd be mad that somehow, SF was able to pick up ASJ and Devonte Adams in the second and I'd be equally mad that St. Louis picked up Jordon Matthews. When it got to me, I'd be drafting David Yankey G/OT from Stanford. If I didn't get Dee Ford in the first round, and drafted Morgan Moses instead, then I'd go with DE Dominique Easley with this pick.

Fourth round--WR Devin Street. Surprised he fell out of this draft (unless I missed him). I liked the highlights others have posted

Fifth round-- TE Crockett Gillmore--This guy fell out of the draft as well, I think. Great get in the fifth round.

2d pick in Fifth--WR Cody Hoffman.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I know this is kind of a silly thread, but I'm surprised only one person so far (aawolf - great picks btw) has understood the intention. This isn't a random draft thread for random comments, it's an exercise to see which players you value at certain slots in a given situation.

Nice catch on Devin Street, aawolf.

EverydayImRusselin":224hvkjc said:
I like this one.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie_1.php

#32 Aaron Donald
#64 Gabe Jackson
#128 Lorenzo Taliaferra (don't like this pick as much)

I initially was going to use that one, but didn't because every single one of us would be leading off with Aaron Donald. Besides that, there's about as good a chance we'll see Aaron Donald at #32 as we would Mike Evans (less than a 1% chance).

hawkfan68":224hvkjc said:
If Sweezy is considered a bar for something, then the bar is awfully low. Not saying that Sweezy isn't improving just using him as an example of a good OL is a stretch.

Sweezy was an awesome run blocker in 2012, and awesome in the 2013 preseason. Then he flipped the script this past season and became one of our better pass protectors, while struggling in the run game. Overall I wouldn't call him a good OL yet but I think he's currently serviceable with a ton of room for improvement. I think playing between a struggling and injured Unger and a struggling 7th round rookie at RT for half the season didn't do him many favors either. If Unger rebounds as a run blocker I think Sweezy will too, most likely. Hopefully we keep Giacomini.