A gathering of Zorn, Krieg, Hass, and RW

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Torc":bby3ya6l said:
I've always wondered what would have happened if Knox hadn't been fired. Stouffer showed some good stuff when he stepped in for an injured Krieg (TD pass with a broken nose....), and the coaching stuff seemed intent on actually developing him. Flores proved unable to develop any QB.
Knox apparently wanted to draft Brett Favre, so if Knox wasn't on his way out with Behring/Flores, we might have had Favre instead of Stouffer & McGwire. And then the entire trajectory and history of the Seahawks would have been different.

RiverDog

Reaction score
James in PA":8ax93are said:
I remember the old joke about Krieg was how “consistently inconsistent” he played from one week to the next. Yes, the fumbles were a huge problem. He once held the record for most in NFL history. But when that dude was “on,” man was he fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I agree, and at the time, I was firmly in the Chuck Knox camp that insisted that Krieg was a good enough quarterback to get us to the Super Bowl. He was a great guy that you loved rooting for, especially being that he came from a college that not only no longer plays football, no longer exists, period.

But some of his mistakes were Favreian in nature, stupid, bone headed poor decisions that would make Russell Wilson's red zone interception against the Vikings last season look like a work of art. I swear, there was a couple times that if I had a brick in my hand, I'd be out $500 for a new TV set.

RiverDog

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1nlw25dv said:
Torc":1nlw25dv said:
I've always wondered what would have happened if Knox hadn't been fired. Stouffer showed some good stuff when he stepped in for an injured Krieg (TD pass with a broken nose....), and the coaching stuff seemed intent on actually developing him. Flores proved unable to develop any QB.

Knox apparently wanted to draft Brett Favre, so if Knox wasn't on his way out with Behring/Flores, we might have had Favre instead of Stouffer & McGwire. And then the entire trajectory and history of the Seahawks would have been different.

You can lay a lot of bad decisions on Behring/Flores, but not Kelly Stouffer. Chuck Knox was the one that traded a first round pick to Arizona for Kelly Stouffer, in 1988, just prior to when Behring bought the team and 4 years before Flores took over in 1992. I can vividly remember Knox introducing Stouffer to the press as our "quarterback of the future."

Dan McGuire was due exclusively to Ken Behring meddling with the franchise. In the 1991 draft, Behring insisted that we draft McGuire in the first round when almost no one had him rated as a first round talent.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1ve6em2w said:
Ruminator":1ve6em2w said:
Absolutely loved watching Krieg at QB back in the 80s. Loved his style, assertiveness, and ability to make plays. He made you want to root for him. Was always ecstatic when Seattle won largely because Krieg had a good day delivering the football, and always felt genuinely bummed for him in games where he and his team valiantly gave it everything they had but lost.

I loved Dave Krieg as a person and by all accounts, he was a great teammate and a fierce competitor. But he was torturous to watch. He was a turnover machine, and it always came at the worst possible moments. I once saw him fumble when there wasn't a defender within 5 yards from him and he was nearly standing still.

Years later, I heard that he unusually small hands, pixie hands.
I get that but he would have 2-4 games looking like a HOF QB
but then have 1-2 looking horrible.
I loved Krieg after having to watch Zorn..There is a QB that when I was
8 I wanted to break the tv and it was Zorn.
He was the TO machine who kept us from making any playoffs.
No it wasn't all his fault but it never is when it comes to QB.
Krieg was good enough to get us to the SB but football was
very tough in those days.

seabowl

Reaction score
IndyHawk":x5199w9b said:
RiverDog":x5199w9b said:
Ruminator":x5199w9b said:
Absolutely loved watching Krieg at QB back in the 80s. Loved his style, assertiveness, and ability to make plays. He made you want to root for him. Was always ecstatic when Seattle won largely because Krieg had a good day delivering the football, and always felt genuinely bummed for him in games where he and his team valiantly gave it everything they had but lost.

I loved Dave Krieg as a person and by all accounts, he was a great teammate and a fierce competitor. But he was torturous to watch. He was a turnover machine, and it always came at the worst possible moments. I once saw him fumble when there wasn't a defender within 5 yards from him and he was nearly standing still.

If Krieg didn't get hurt in 86 we would have went to and won the bowl as the Hawks beat both the Giants and destryoed the Broncos the last game of the year.

sutz

Reaction score
Cool vid. Russ wants to play a game in the throwbacks. :2thumbs:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, That was awesome and yes I hope Russ has enough pool to bring throwbacks back, Fun trip down memory lane. I remember all those memories from 83 on.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
RiverDog":2dbvsjdi said:
BlueTalon":2dbvsjdi said:
Torc":2dbvsjdi said:

You can lay a lot of bad decisions on Behring/Flores, but not Kelly Stouffer. Chuck Knox was the one that traded a first round pick to Arizona for Kelly Stouffer, in 1988, just prior to when Behring bought the team and 4 years before Flores took over in 1992. I can vividly remember Knox introducing Stouffer to the press as our "quarterback of the future."

Dan McGuire was due exclusively to Ken Behring meddling with the franchise. In the 1991 draft, Behring insisted that we draft McGuire in the first round when almost no one had him rated as a first round talent.
In 1988-89, I was in the Navy, and got a lot of my Seahawks news from a paragraph or two of telex, printed out on a dot matrix printer, supplemented by a subscription to the Everett Herald, which usually came in the mail in two-three week batches. Occasionally I got to see some games on TV.

I do clearly remember hearing in the early 90s that the McGwire thing was part of Behring meddling. I thought I remembered hearing later that Knox wanted to draft Favre which, if true, would have meant that by that time, Knox had soured on Stouffer being the future of the franchise.

But I don't have a source I can point to on that, just a foggy memory, so I will happily defer to people with sources and clearer memories.

RiverDog

Reaction score
BlueTalon":225obsz0 said:
[In 1988-89, I was in the Navy, and got a lot of my Seahawks news from a paragraph or two of telex, printed out on a dot matrix printer, supplemented by a subscription to the Everett Herald, which usually came in the mail in two-three week batches. Occasionally I got to see some games on TV.

I do clearly remember hearing in the early 90s that the McGwire thing was part of Behring meddling. I thought I remembered hearing later that Knox wanted to draft Favre which, if true, would have meant that by that time, Knox had soured on Stouffer being the future of the franchise.

But I don't have a source I can point to on that, just a foggy memory, so I will happily defer to people with sources and clearer memories.

Not sure about the Favre rumors. I never heard about them until way later. It was 1991, and the Knox-Behring relationship was pretty much on the rocks by then, which probably explains why Behring felt justified in his insistence that we draft McGuire. Favre was not regarded as a top prospect coming out of college. Even had the Hawks drafted Favre, we wouldn't have had anyone on the staff that could have developed him. Favre was as raw as they come, with a cannon for an arm and a beebe for a brain. If he hadn't been paired with Mike Holmgren in Green Bay, I'm convinced that his career would have been short lived.

Stouffer never got much of an opportunity before we drafted McGuire. He played behind Krieg through the 1991 season, the same one in which we drafted McGuire. In those opportunities that he did get, he looked awful, standing in the pocket like a statute and holding onto the ball for an eternity. From that '91 season, Knox's last, until Behring sold to Paul Allen was without a doubt the worst period of Seahawk football in franchise history.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
That was extremely awesome to watch. I want more of this. Really took me back. Was kind of hoping they would show a Zorn/Largent milk commercial.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
seabowl":19he1k2i said:
IndyHawk":19he1k2i said:
RiverDog":19he1k2i said:
Ruminator":19he1k2i said:

If Krieg didn't get hurt in 86 we would have went to and won the bowl as the Hawks beat both the Giants and destryoed the Broncos the last game of the year.
Yes. Team was rolling at the end of the season.