A little perspective post Rams loss

BASF

Reaction score
The year was 2003. The New England Patriots were two seasons removed from winning the Super Bowl. In 2002, the Patriots went only 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They did manage to sweep the Bills though, and this season the Bills came out fired up and wanting revenge. They dominated the Patriots to the tune of 31-0. That day Tom Brady only had a 22.5 rating while throwing four interceptions. The Patriots fan base had a meltdown, much like what is going on here.

The Patriots proceeded to lose only one more game on their way to an exciting Super Bowl win. Now, they had the GOAT QB and the GOAT defensive mind in football history, but we have the potential to go on a run just as much as any other team. Our coach is known for getting the best out of people. We shall see how it goes, but the downers are out in force after a loss that was not as bad as the Patriots suffered. The Bills had a bad 6-10 season that year, but for that day they played well above their heads because they wanted that game with a passion, same as the Rams wanted to beat us.

hoxrox

Reaction score
New England's division has been historically bad. It's been easy for them to go on a run. We don't have that same luxury.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Like I said last week, if the Rams are going to end up bad this year? The very worst time to play them is game one when they're healthy and playing hard.

But it's the way we lost that concerns me, got our asses kicked in all three phases, and defense looks awful.

Just one game, so I'll hold back some perspective for another couple of weeks. As Pete and his coach's usually do a good job of circling the wagons and figuring stuff out moving forward. But once again looking lost and starting slow to start a season.........it's this coach's tenure Groundhog Day.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The Rams are playing the 49ers on Sunday. That should tell more about how good or bad they may be. If the 49ers are the bar (of course) for the division.
Any way that turns out will be to our benefit. I will actually prefer the Rams win again because I don't believe such success is sustainable for them.
Another perspective is to look at the list of teams that were losers in week one. It's a rather impressive list.

Mizak

Reaction score
Any way that turns out will be to our benefit. I will actually prefer the Rams win again because I don't believe such success is sustainable for them.
Another perspective is to look at the list of teams that were losers in week one. It's a rather impressive list.
Chiefs, Bengals, Bills.

GemCity

Reaction score
49er’s……

….will annihilate the Rams.

This season is exactly what most have pegged it for.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Ya, but I bet the Patriots adjusted their schemes after getting blown out that first game. This Detroit will be quite telling whether Pete will allow a change or not...I have my doubts. The schemes on both sides of the ball are garbage.

strohmin

Reaction score
The year was 2003. The New England Patriots were two seasons removed from winning the Super Bowl. In 2002, the Patriots went only 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They did manage to sweep the Bills though, and this season the Bills came out fired up and wanting revenge. They dominated the Patriots to the tune of 31-0. That day Tom Brady only had a 22.5 rating while throwing four interceptions. The Patriots fan base had a meltdown, much like what is going on here.

The Patriots proceeded to lose only one more game on their way to an exciting Super Bowl win. Now, they had the GOAT QB and the GOAT defensive mind in football history, but we have the potential to go on a run just as much as any other team. Our coach is known for getting the best out of people. We shall see how it goes, but the downers are out in force after a loss that was not as bad as the Patriots suffered. The Bills had a bad 6-10 season that year, but for that day they played well above their heads because they wanted that game with a passion, same as the Rams wanted to beat us.
Sorry, but we dont have the LOB. Every member on that team hated losing so much that you knew they would respond when it mattered. This team looks like a bunch of happy go lucky soft losers.

cymatica

Reaction score
Not sure about that analogy. The Pats still had a SB roster, the future goat QB, and a head coach that could make game plans that went against the grain and put his players in the best position to succeed. They definitely weren't in a tough division, and I don't remember Belicheck facing a coach that repeatedly out coached him like McVay does to Pete.

What we have is a roster with some good talent, an average QB that plays pretty good some games, a defense that can't get pressure and gets nickel and dimed to death, and a coaching staff that has a very hard time making in-game adjustments. Heck, the last several years they've shown they can't adjust to their weaknesses over the coarse of a season, whether it's run or pass, teams seem to be able to sustain drives and take advantage of Pete's 'play it safe' non aggressive approach.

Seahawker

Reaction score
A more realistic perspective.
The Seahawks have an overall record of 27-25 against the Rams. The Seahawks beat the Rams 12 of 18 times in the 2000's including 10 straight games from 2005-2009. The series was an even split in the 2010's with each team winning 10 games against each other.
The Seahawks also swept the Rams in 2011 & 2013. From 2014 to 2021 the Seahawks were 5-11 over that span, McVay has coached the Rams since 2017, Jeff Fisher from 2012-2016.
Both have given us problems. It would seem to me that both McVay & Fisher have made a habit of out coaching Carroll often with less talented teams and have "wanted it more" on several occasions. The truth hurts.
I love PC and everything he has done here, but he is not without a couple warts & flaws, including game planning and game day motivation vs the Rams.
Not calling for his head but moreso hoping this young team will band and rally around him and hopefully he will adapt. If not hopefully a 'McVay like' coach is in our future.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The odd part is that last game is exactly what most expected from the Hawks last year.
They were expected to struggle, and in doing, get a high draft pick.

The surprise was that they were pretty good. Few expected that from Geno, and our secondary was expected to struggle - not excel.

Now the question is, was last year the outlier or was that last game? (likely most of this season)

Weird part is that a terrible record last season wouldn't have helped much, since it was a garbage-tier QB collection. (Stroud? Young? Whatshisname?)
This year, in comparison, looks rich with QB options.
(Maybe even too rich. I see a few guys that look like another Herbert or Rivers, supremely talented but not the kind of QB you can expect SBs from.)

If you are going to have an awful year, this might be one of the better times for it. There is probably at least one SB winner in the coming draft class, maybe even as deep as the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The issue with Seattle's week 1 loss boils down to poor/non existent 2nd half adjustments, which has become routine under PC, lack of discipline, which also isn't anything new, and an overall stubbornness, which sort of goes into poor/non existent adjustments.

They allowed the Rams to go on a 23-0 run to end the game. That's literally the definition of being outcoached, outsmarted and straight up whooped. And the tide was turning toward the Rams favor well before their tackles got hurt so using that as an excuse isn't going to cut it.

Look, I want this team to succeed as much as you guys do. I know it doesn't seem like it with my pessimistic Fade/Pittpnthr type of posts lately, but I'm just as big a fan as you guys. It infuriates me to no end when the results on the field literally mirror what my concerns were all off season.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if PC gets his guys all amped up and they shock Detroit on Sunday. That would be great, because Pete is the best coach in the league when it comes to building momentum and getting his guys to buy into the us vs. The world mentality. It works.

What isn't working is his Cover 3 scheme, and whatever you want to call the personnel we're using with the front 7. Their lack of creativity with blitzes, pressure packages, zone schemes, man coverage looks, all of it is simply not working. They made last Sunday's game vs Stafford very easy, and if they don't change, Goff is going to have yet another great game next Sunday.

We have to get more creative in terms of schemes, matchups and personnel packages. Having 4 guys rush the passer with no blitz looks, no stunts, no pre snap movement, isn't going to cut it. That's the stuff I want gone ASAP.

But it won't. That's why I'm so frustrated with Pete. He's either stubborn or stupid to keep running these base vanilla looks on defense.

As far as offense goes, same thing. Where's the pre snap motions? Where's the traps? Sweeps? Running back screens? Anything to get the opposting D line thinking so they're not getting a jump at the snap and pressuring Geno.

I know you keep my honest BNSF and I know I'm the pessimistic clown that shows up after a loss. What I want is the same as you and the other Seahawks fans want here, and that's ultimately the Seahawks holding that Lombardi in February. But the way I see it, they've got a long way to go, starting with getting the coaches either to adapt a new philosophy, or relay said philosophy to the players so it's universally understood that the schemes and concepts are putting all 11 guys in the best position to succeed.

Last edited: