A theory about Marshawn Lynch's back problems (vs AZ)

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
The concept of one NFL defense being "more physical" than other is so stupid. As if it hurts more to get tackled by a guy on Arizona versus let's say Jacksonville.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":1chaqtmv said:
The concept of one NFL defense being "more physical" than other is so stupid. As if it hurts more to get tackled by a guy on Arizona versus let's say Jacksonville.

Would you rather go over the middle against Kam Chancellor or Etric Pruitt? Or would their hits likely just feel the same since they are/were both NFL players?

sedrohawk

Reaction score
Cartire":hdclmyj6 said:
MidwestHawker":hdclmyj6 said:
sedrohawk":hdclmyj6 said:
i don't think pete would hold out a player because of a game next week. it would be against his philosophy of always compete. i'm pretty sure the only thing on pete's mind was beating arizona.

He openly stated in his presser tonight that he held James Carpenter out of this game so that he would be good to go against SF and going forward, and that he probably could have played.

Carp has been a lot better this year, but I have seen nothing bad about Bailey. He's playing like he wants to start on that line and hasnt shown me a reason why he shouldnt. If it was McQuistin in there, Carp would have played. So I think the always compete mantra is safe as it wasnt really a drop off in talent to have Bailey out there.

a healthy bailey is better than an injured james carpenter. no coach in his right mind saves players for the next week when they are your best option on gameday unless you risk further injury by playing the player. this is the nfl and there is no gimee games.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":2n1obxoe said:
That you can't wrap your brain around one team hitting harder than another is prettty stupid too.

Remember when Kelly Jennings laid all those fools out?

sedrohawk

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":wlp77ois said:

anybody thats ever played football knows that not all hits are created equal. and you can feel the difference between physical teams and soft teams when you play them.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1ktkhihy said:
sedrohawk":1ktkhihy said:
this is the nfl and there is no gimee games.

Well...yes there are. Sometimes you get to play home games against the Arizona Cardinals.

kinda like last year? oh wait :34853_doh:

Reaneypark

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":2i13ti7u said:
Not sure where it fits in theory wise, injury wise, Pete and Marshawn relationship wise, etc.... but just before the 2 minute warning at the end of the game it looked like Lynch asked Pete if he could go back in, and Pete sent him out onto the field. Even gave him one more carry after the 2 minute warning in a game that was already decided when, by most accounts ,A) Marshawn is hurting, B) Marshawn was sick, C) Marshawn and Pete's relationship is strained.

Seemed an odd sequence of events to me. Not sure if anyone else noticed it, but if there was any strain between Marshawn and Pete, it looks like it mighta been alleviated in some way during the week. I can't imagine why a hurt, sick Beast Mode would be asking to go back into the game in garbage time, or why Pete would give the thumbs up to such a request.

Of course, I always entertain the notion that I was imagining things and it was a perfectly normal occurrence.

I saw the same team. It looked like Lynch asked to go back in and Pete seemed a bit suprised and said, "Well, get in there!"

It was a great thing to see, in my opinion. I think this team is coming together at the right time.

Seafan

Reaction score
He was sick, it wasn't his back. He wouldn't have sent him into the game several times and especially late if he was trying to protect him.

NINEster

Reaction score
The OP's part about resting Lynch is one thing, and makes sense.

The Arians angle is rather out there, and had there been a similar theory posted by a Niner fan it would be laughed at (and justifiably so).

The schedule says the 49ers have a better shot at winning the most of their remaining games than Seattle does. Past history suggests a split between the teams, so make them both 8-5 right now. @Oakland, San Diego, Arizona seem more favorable than @Philly, @AZ, St. Louis.

I see 11-5/10-6 for the Niners, and 10-6/9-7 for the Seahawks.

Historically which team has handled AZ better from 2009 onwards? Arians got his first win against the 49ers after how many games?

You want my version of this logic: Harbaugh throwing the second Seahawk game in 2012 because there might have been a good chance of meeting up in the playoffs, and the extra L would have benefitted more than the extra W.

I don't think that was the case, but for division teams, it's not ideal to have to try and beat them 3 times in a season. It's been done before but there've been cases of an unexpected division "out" (2008 Giants to Eagles, at home) where justifiably your biggest threat is in your division.

And on a side note, Belichick should have laid down week 17 in 2007. Given the Giants nothing and I promise you they would have won the Super Bowl that year.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Hawks46":2yhyi9lu said:
Turbin would've gotten more carries. He was pretty effective when he was in there, pushing the pile and exploding through holes.

When you're looking at Turbin getting more push, and running more effectively, then there's something going on.

Not meaning to bash the poster but I literally said "wtf" out loud when I read this quote ;)

Turbin had 4 carries for 12 yards with a long of 6.

Turbin also had 3 targets receiving for a grand total of 3 yards.

Turbin had a total of 7 plays going his way for a grand total of 15 yards. He was a disgrace thus my "wtf" upon reading your comments :th2thumbs:

Tokadub

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":ojn1t8pu said:
Not sure where it fits in theory wise, injury wise, Pete and Marshawn relationship wise, etc.... but just before the 2 minute warning at the end of the game it looked like Lynch asked Pete if he could go back in, and Pete sent him out onto the field. Even gave him one more carry after the 2 minute warning in a game that was already decided when, by most accounts ,A) Marshawn is hurting, B) Marshawn was sick, C) Marshawn and Pete's relationship is strained.

Seemed an odd sequence of events to me. Not sure if anyone else noticed it, but if there was any strain between Marshawn and Pete, it looks like it mighta been alleviated in some way during the week. I can't imagine why a hurt, sick Beast Mode would be asking to go back into the game in garbage time, or why Pete would give the thumbs up to such a request.

Of course, I always entertain the notion that I was imagining things and it was a perfectly normal occurrence.

I noticed this too, it seemed strange to put Lynch in the game in garbage time... that's where Turbin belongs :stirthepot:

I think this is just another example of how much Lynch loves playing football and Pete let him play. Even though strategically it might of been better to rest Lynch even more in preparation for the 49ers, I think keeping Lynch happy should be a priority if we are keeping him next year (which at this point it seems like we have to since CMike is mysteriously not playing, I think it's his bad attitude).

Tokadub

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":22gikpe5 said:

I Disagree, look at how Oakland played against Kansas City compared to how we did. If you saw that game Oakland was wrecking guys, hitting all their tackles they looked like how we were supposed to... we were whiffing and getting dominated by their run game.

Certain players such as Kam Chancellor hit a lot harder than other Strong Safeties, it's a matter of physics with his size, speed, and tackling technique.

I'm not saying there's a bunch of powder puffs in the NFL, but there's certainly a big variation with how physical different teams are in the NFL, most of that comes from their intensity on the field a.k.a. adrenaline. A listless uninspired team is not going to hit as hard compared to a team that is fired up and amped to knock guys out.

So while the majority of NFL players can lay a decent hit, a lot of players don't risk their personal livelihoods to go all out like we do when we are at our best. Look at the way Earl Thomas torpedoes into guys, Chancellor intimidates, even Sherman isn't afraid to lay down the boom when CB's normally don't.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
His back flared up and he was feeling sick like he was going to throw up. He felt healthy enough to return to the game at the end. I doubt they would have given those clock-draining carries at the end of the game if they had a goal in mind of conserving him for the next game.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I don't buy the alleged Machiavellian strategizing by the coaches. The game was too important to both teams for either of them to worry about what might happen on Thanksgiving. Both coaches were most likely reacting to the hands they were dealt. Lynch was ill and dinged up so Carroll limited his touches. Arians knew that Stanton vs the LOB was not a good matchup, especially without Larry Fitzgerald, so he had to at least try to establish a running game.

Occam's Razor.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The Cards stuck with the run, as they have in all of their games this season. Not sure how this somehow translates to a convoluted strategy of softening us up for the next opponent, though I agree there might a spillover benefit. The Tards away from the run when we put a two TD lead on them, as any other team would to.

Not sure why anybody would choose not to believe that Lynch was sick to his stomach either. A classic case of over analysis, IMO.