Aaron Donald

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yeesh, doesn't sound like he will even be available to us the way he is picking up teams attention.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
That has to be an exaggeration has there ever been a defensive tackle run even a 4.6? Doesn't seem possible to me.

Edit: looked it up and Warren Sapp ran a 4.69.

Lynch'sLamborghini

Reaction score
The likeliest scenario is that Aaron Donald is going to be making life difficult for NFC North quarterbacks as a member of the Chicago Bears. However, if he's really running in the 4.5s, there's a nightmare scenario where he goes to the Rams at #13. If somehow he slid in range of the 49ers, then I think the Seahawks would seriously have to consider trading up to precede them and obtain him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Top-15 pick.

An absolutely fantastic football player. Might be the best defensive player in the draft.

Relentless, dominating, constantly in the backfield.

You cannot block this guy.

He might be a better version of Geno Atkins. I'm deadly serious.

I'd love to see him in Seattle, but there's more chance of Matt Flynn being re-signed and winning the job off Russell Wilson.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Oh cmon can't you let us dream? I want Donald almost as much as I wish we could have Evans but I know thats a pipe dream. I actually think Donald is possible for us.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
From Tony Pauline...Not saying I believe it, but makes me curious....

"It seems Aaron Donald has carried the momentum of his Senior Bowl performance to the Combine, though he's yet to work out. I'm told the Seattle Seahawks brass love Donald. In fact, a source mentioned the Seahawks made Donald a lot of money based on the way they played their defensive tackles in 2013. Yesterday, I mentioned Donald is expected to run in the low 4.7s during his workout on Monday. Today I was told he's been running in the high 4.5s/low 4.6s in training recently."

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":e48rlsr6 said:
I would flip if Donald fell to us (and it's entirely possible.) But with how good this draft is, from top to bottom, is it worth sacrificing picks for one player if that's the case?

Last year was a deep draft too, and the 49ers moved all the way from #31 to the teens for a late 3rd round pick. This draft is considered just as deep if not deeper, so every team is going to want to move down, which will lower prices to move up. Might be able to move pretty far on a bargain price.

kigenzun

Reaction score
As far as trading up for Donald...
Is it possible the #32 packaged with the #64 could get us high enough (Top15 say) to draft him?
Or would it take even more, like next years first as well, or something crazy like that?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1a7ep1q8 said:
Oh cmon can't you let us dream? I want Donald almost as much as I wish we could have Evans but I know thats a pipe dream. I actually think Donald is possible for us.

The lack of size is the only negative on Donald, and it really isn't much of a negative. The best three technique in football was only 6-1 and 293lbs at his combine.

Nothing about his game is going to allow him to drop to #32. The guy is immense. Or to quote Carroll on his new favourite word, "exquisite".

It'll take a monster move to go up and get him and him falling would be a major shock IMO. He is simply just too good.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":24kc3ilm said:
Natethegreat":24kc3ilm said:

The lack of size is the only negative on Donald, and it really isn't much of a negative. The best three technique in football was only 6-1 and 293lbs at his combine.

Nothing about his game is going to allow him to drop to #32. The guy is immense. Or to quote Carroll on his new favourite word, "exquisite".

It'll take a monster move to go up and get him and him falling would be a major shock IMO. He is simply just too good.
Thanks for quashing my dreams. ;-) I have been dreaming of him dropping to us since the senior bowl but your probably right. i think Chicago or Dallas ends up nabbing him. It does make getting Hageman slightly more possible though yes?

cover-2

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":38m8dhew said:
cover-2":38m8dhew said:
Lynch Mob":38m8dhew said:
heard his arms are like 31 inches that might be a deal breaker.

His arm length is fine. Donald has unusually long arms for his height. His arms are an inch longer than DT Will Sutton who is the same height as Donald. Donald arms are probably longer than a DT who is now being talked about as a mid-1st round prospect, Florida St DT Timmy Jernigan.

IMG 0243 Aaron Donald

according to espn.com Donald's arms are 31 5/8 inches long. Their are like five top tackles in this draft alone with 35' inch arms. It could potentially be a problem for Donald at the next level. Kelcy Quarles and Brent Urban won't have that problem they are my two picks for Seattle at 32. Quarles and Urban should shine at the combine. Either could be the 3 down DT Seattle could use for the long term.

He has long arms for his height (which could be considered average arm length for a DT), he has natural leverage to get under much bigger offensive lineman, he also has a quick burst at the snap to discount the arm length offensive lineman will have on him. Obviously a 6ft 5in or taller offensive lineman is going to have longer arms than 99% of DT's 6ft 3in or shorter. Geno Atkins arm length is 32 inches which is minimally longer than the reported arm length of Donald's. I love scouting the genetic freaks of college football, but a lot of them weed themselves out during the season.

I personally don't put much stock into the combine, for me it has a minimal effect on the total evaluation of a player.

Urban is a very intriguing prospect, but I would much rather draft Donald even though he doesn't fit the Seahawks DT prototype. I am completely confident that the coaching staff would maximize Donald's strengths.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Regarding arm length, it tends to matter a lot less for DTs. DTs face guards and centers who have shorter arms, and instead of engaging directly they often shoot gaps. I wasn't the biggest Melvin Ingram fan a couple years ago because of his super-short arms, but his tape showed a guy that struggled as a DE but actually looked pretty good inside because the arm length didn't matter as much inside.

As far as Donald, his 32" (rounded up) arms are within the median range for the DT position. This isn't a very deep draft for pass rushers so I'm expecting a big rise for Donald.

cover-2

Reaction score
Donald's official arm length at the combine 32 5/8....so lets move on from his supposed short arms.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":2e4jphwt said:
Last year, I desperately dreamed of somehow getting Sheldon Richardson.

I would be stoked if we got him in round one somehow (even trading up).

What do you think it would take to trade up to get him?...probably somewhere around where the Cowboys would pick in round one?

Only issue to me is...did we give Jordan Hill enough opportunities yet?

I wanted Richardson pretty bad too, I though Short would have been a good back up choice but after we got Percy and won a SB Im all smiles. I have a gut feeling we will be going DL early this draft.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":k7og0rew said:
Sarlacc83":k7og0rew said:
I would flip if Donald fell to us (and it's entirely possible.) But with how good this draft is, from top to bottom, is it worth sacrificing picks for one player if that's the case?

Last year was a deep draft too, and the 49ers moved all the way from #31 to the teens for a late 3rd round pick. This draft is considered just as deep if not deeper, so every team is going to want to move down, which will lower prices to move up. Might be able to move pretty far on a bargain price.

Good point. Though do we want to point to the 49ers as a positive example of what to do? ;)