Al Michaels

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northhawk":2j3wn9pk said:
BUT I was just rewatching the game on NFL network and Al Michaels seemed, at best, disinterested or, at worst, pissed any time we made a play. On Lynch and Wilsons' big runs, he sounded like he was calling numbers out at a bingo game. .

That's cause he's 112 years old, and has been mailing it in for 30 of those years.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2jiyafzs said:
Honestly, I didn't get that sense. I really enjoy Al Michaels. Partially because he commentates with seemingly a knowing wink to the audience at all times. I didn't think Michaels and Collinsworth were disinterested. I just think watching the Seahawks dismantle a team on NBC has become routine for them. It's almost comical to them at this point.

I feel like Joe Buck is the one with clenched teeth anytime he has to compliment Seattle. It's hard for me to listen to him.

But everyone has their own preferences. I mean, I'm one of the few who loves Gus Johnson's fanboy-ish enthusiasm.

You are not in the minority in your love for Gus Johnson. He's one of the most cool to like announcers in sports, and deservedly so.

I like Joe Buck, if only because I think he's kind of trolling everyone with his Cutler-esque attitude and demeanor. He seems to hate his life, and yet Aikman and himself bring an undeniable air that makes every game feel like the playoffs when they call it.

I love Al Michaels, and Colinsworth is the best color commentator in a long time. I get what the OP was saying though. During Beastquake II, Michaels called it with zero emotion, like it was any other play. It was a stark contrast to Beastquake I with all the emotion from the broadcast booth. In fairness, that's not really Michael's schtick, and Colinsworth tried his best to compensate in the enthusiasm index.

chevelle03

Reaction score
He's been like this for every game and every team this season. If the Cardinals had made a big play he would have sounded just as bored. I think he's just low on interest and energy as a whole. Perhaps it's time for him to call it a career, but at one time he definitely was one of the best commentators, in my opinion at least.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sgt. Largent":da6bexh6 said:
Northhawk":da6bexh6 said:
BUT I was just rewatching the game on NFL network and Al Michaels seemed, at best, disinterested or, at worst, pissed any time we made a play. On Lynch and Wilsons' big runs, he sounded like he was calling numbers out at a bingo game. .

That's cause he's 112 years old, and has been mailing it in for 30 of those years.

Yeah, that's the kind of television broadcaster everyone wants to hear--the guy who drones on during one of the best runs in NFL history mid-yawn. Narrated nonfiction audio books have more spark than Al Michaels calling a football game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":dwlcdv6t said:
Sgt. Largent":dwlcdv6t said:
Northhawk":dwlcdv6t said:

Yeah, that's the kind of television broadcaster everyone wants to hear--the guy who drones on during one of the best runs in NFL history mid-yawn. Narrated nonfiction audio books have more spark than Al Michaels calling a football game.

He's like Bob Costas, safe and been around so long that he can mail it in and no one cares.

Mayock and Nesler should have gotten the SNF gig years ago. I don't mind Collinsworth, he's not afraid to be critical, but Michaels is about as boring as it gets.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
My favs are John Lynch and whoever first, then Gruden and Tirico, followed by Collinsworth and Michaels.

But as long as Aikman and Buck are nowhere near our games, I'll take it.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The only guy I don't really like is tirico. Uses too many words to say what you could say in 3 or 4. Right now I like the college guys better then the nfl guys. I really like musberger, herbstreet, fowler and Gus Johnson. My all time favorite team is Keith Jackson and Dan fouts.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Michaels is getting old.

Collinsworth more than makes up for his waning energy with his folksy energy.

I agree that Buck is the worst guy going today. Which is a shame, because I think Aikman is a relatively strong color guy.

capncrunch

Reaction score
seedhawk":emovx37q said:
Analogy. Al Michaels is the bread, and Collinsworth is the PB and Jelly. He may sound uninterested or bored, but he is actually setting the table for his broadcast partner. Together, I personally think they are the best pair on the air.

This is pretty good. Yeah, I think he thought Lynch stepped out of bounds and this reflected his attitude on the play going forward. I like the two as a pair. Collinsworth is my favorite. I like to have a bland kind of guy with him. I have begun to kind of dislike Aikman.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xc5qd0t said:
Honestly, I didn't get that sense. I really enjoy Al Michaels. Partially because he commentates with seemingly a knowing wink to the audience at all times. I didn't think Michaels and Collinsworth were disinterested. I just think watching the Seahawks dismantle a team on NBC has become routine for them. It's almost comical to them at this point.

I feel like Joe Buck is the one with clenched teeth anytime he has to compliment Seattle. It's hard for me to listen to him.

But everyone has their own preferences. I mean, I'm one of the few who loves Gus Johnson's fanboy-ish enthusiasm.

I feel this way 100% , I am actually surprised you think few people like Gus Johnson . Him and Raible are easily the best these days .

I hate Joe Buck and Troy Aikmans negative spin on almost every big play . Hate them.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pretty sure that when Michaels went to school in AZ. the Cards were still in St. Louis where they should have remained.

He is done, Collinsworth is a tool as well.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I can't believe people are defending Al Michaels. He was pathetic last night. Buck and Aikmen would have been much more animated and alive during Lynch's run. Pretty much anyone would have. His call on that play was an absolute joke. Collinsowrth should have taken over and let michaels drunk old ass shut up. It would have been better if michaels never said anything at all. It's a shame that call happened on that kind of play. Go back and listen to it. It's a shame

Michaels just doesn't have it anymore. That's a fact.

Giblien

Reaction score
Honestly, I really like Michaels and Collinsworth. Way better than listening to Joe Buck again...ewwww....

Greenhell

Reaction score
Wished Mayock did more games for the Hawks. He's my favorite. Love his insight, smarts and enthusiasm.

LAMike1

Reaction score
Don't even get me started on Joe Buck... I've always kinda hated Collinsworth but I actually found him hilarious last night. Particularly on the Doug Baldwin catch where Cromartie fell down ("Lookout...") and the INT by Sherman ("Whoops"). I laughed my butt off. And his reaction to the Lynch run was epic. Lol!

pehawk

Reaction score
LAMike1":1lr4prho said:
Don't even get me started on Joe Buck... I've always kinda hated Collinsworth but I actually found him hilarious last night. Particularly on the Doug Baldwin catch where Cromartie fell down ("Lookout...") and the INT by Sherman ("Whoops"). I laughed my butt off. And his reaction to the Lynch run was epic. Lol!

Holy shit! I swear on Fabian Bownes I was just thinking today "whatever happened to that LAMike guy?". I'm physic, I swear.

Smellyman

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":f4etc5k1 said:
Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth are so far above every other broadcast team that it's unreal.

I'm sure if you put all of the commentary under a microscope it wasn't perfect, but I wouldn't trade those two out for any other broadcasting option.

agreed. It's not close imo.