Al Michaels

Smellyman

Reaction score
Giblien":3ejl5665 said:
Honestly, I really like Michaels and Collinsworth. Way better than listening to Joe Buck again...ewwww....

I like Aikman.

The problem with Buck imo is he tries to be clever and witty, but comes across smarmy and douchey

Hawks46

Reaction score
Cartire":32txmx4j said:
He did seem disinterested on a bunch of calls. But I didnt see it like he was upset. It was more like:

"Oh look, there he goes again, what did you expect..."

Watch the 50 yard scamper by RW and listen to him. Its actually pretty funny. No excitement, almost just a, "well, here we go again..."

Yea I think this was it. I've never heard Al be negative about the Seahawks.

Kurt Warner is a big Cardinal homer, but he's just gushing about the Hawks this week. He just called Russell Wilson his player of the week on the Monday Night radio broadcast.

OP
OP
N

Northhawk

Reaction score
Giblien":1q2ph4sw said:
Honestly, I really like Michaels and Collinsworth. Way better than listening to Joe Buck again...ewwww....

Actually, I agree with you. I never had a problem with Michaels in the past which is why I found his commentary weird last night. His call ruins Lynch's and Russell's runs for me. He just sucked wind thru all of them.

From now on I'll only view Raible's calls of those plays as he pays them justice.

And I always liked Collinsworth going back to the 90's when he started calling games.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kv1n7o4 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2kv1n7o4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2kv1n7o4 said:
Northhawk":2kv1n7o4 said:
BUT I was just rewatching the game on NFL network and Al Michaels seemed, at best, disinterested or, at worst, pissed any time we made a play. On Lynch and Wilsons' big runs, he sounded like he was calling numbers out at a bingo game. .

That's cause he's 112 years old, and has been mailing it in for 30 of those years.

Yeah, that's the kind of television broadcaster everyone wants to hear--the guy who drones on during one of the best runs in NFL history mid-yawn. Narrated nonfiction audio books have more spark than Al Michaels calling a football game.

He's like Bob Costas, safe and been around so long that he can mail it in and no one cares.

Mayock and Nesler should have gotten the SNF gig years ago. I don't mind Collinsworth, he's not afraid to be critical, but Michaels is about as boring as it gets.

Mayock is my favorite draft guy, and he's become my favorite commentator. He's smart, insightful and gets it to the audience well.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Collinsworth sounds like he has a chicken bone stuck in his throat, or Peyton Manning's forehead.....

253hawk

Reaction score
Did someone say Gus Johnson?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByTimBooth/status/547482574734761984[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":3m13jw3j said:
Mayock is my favorite draft guy, and he's become my favorite commentator. He's smart, insightful and gets it to the audience well.

Mayock's conviction and energy is awesome, you can tell the dude REALLY loves the game of football............and Nesler compliments that perfectly.

I don't hate Michaels, it's hard to hate boring. I just think he's a good 10-15 years past his expiration date.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
253hawk":1qs7ab0c said:
Did someone say Gus Johnson?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByTimBooth/status/547482574734761984[/tweet]

Money!

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
It’s because it is very known that Al Michaels bets on football games. If you are a sports gambler you would know this as he has at least one gambling reference every game.

For example I remember him saying “and this game is officially over” after a score last season put a game over the total set by Vegas. I’ve also heard him say thing such as “that score made a lot of people angry” during a blow out after a TD resulted the game in going over the total.

In order to pick up on these, you have to know the sports betting lingo and be listening very carefully.

He obviously bet on the Arizona Cardinals +9 so he was less enthusiastic after big Seahawks plays. Not a big deal.

Al and Chris are the best duo on TV today.

EDIT: Found an interview regarding Al Michaels’ and his sports betting references: http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/al-mich ... ences.html

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
There was way to much yelling and screaming going on while I was watching the game to hear the call on the Lynch run.

I heard Raible's call Monday morning and it was awesome. Then I heard Michaels and thought he sounded completely disinterested.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3j6f9ah1 said:
Al Michaels is a Cardinals fan. It's slipped out on a few broadcasts last year. Put yourself in his shoes; your calling a game where the Seahawks are obliterated at home.
He might be a Cards fan, but right after the Beastquake 2.0 run, he said that "That's The Best Play I've Ever Seen"

bigtrain21

Reaction score
scutterhawk":ggmck6xf said:
pehawk":ggmck6xf said:
Al Michaels is a Cardinals fan. It's slipped out on a few broadcasts last year. Put yourself in his shoes; your calling a game where the Seahawks are obliterated at home.
He might be a Cards fan, but right after the Beastquake 2.0 run, he said that "That's The Best Play I've Ever Seen"

Just FYI, that was Collinsworth and he said "One of the greatest plays I've ever seen"

A

Anonymous

Michaels' call of the 1980 US Olympic hockey win over Russia was a high point in "getting into the game" for him.

He's been sliding steadily in enthusiasm since then, and although he is one of my favorites, Sunday night was a low point for him.

What ever happened to Don Criqui?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I re-watched some of the game. Even on Russell's 50 yard run he was kinda monotone. I don't think it is personal just the way he is now. Kinda hard (or even scary) to get that excited when you as old as an Ent.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maybe Al tipped a couple back?

He gets a lot of names wrong, but I chalk that up to the alzheimers.

endzorn

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I liked the 80s broadcast teams in all sports where they were half drunk and casually making insulting comments about players or offensive remarks about cheerleaders or female fans. Now the announcers are always sober. Boring.