Aldon's suspension is nine games

rigelian

Reaction score
hawknation2014":36lyyuu1 said:
Marvin49":36lyyuu1 said:
Laloosh":36lyyuu1 said:
Funny that you actually spent the time to find that tho.

That was a pretty webzonian comment, Marv. Does deflecting your pain onto others help you to cope?

Not sure I even know what you mean. Just seemed funny to me that he cherry picked that one time I said that when most of the time I've said something different.

Up until all of the Felonies were lowered, I thought 6-8 games.

Here's another gem for us to laugh at . . .

Doubt it.

I was with you before, but now seeing that the felonies were knocked down to misdemeanors (something someone who shall remain nameless said would NOT happen) and he already missed 5 weeks last year for rehab and Goodell has already stated that rehab would be taken into account.

Plus it was always a sticky situation anyway....if he were living in Arizona he'd never have even been charged for the guns.

If I'm guessing...I'm gonna say 2 games is what he finally ends up serving after appeal.

I think Seattle fans need to brace themselves for very little if any suspension.

3886633-2559988948-37837.gif
loafoftatupu":36lyyuu1 said:
I don't like it.

First of all, we now know why it took so long. Rog wanted to make his statement previous to the suspension and he used Smith as an example. That part i think is BS.

On the other side, i can see where it is fair. Smith was convicted of 5 misdemeanor crimes. If they were really spread out over let's say 3 years, Smith would have missed at least 16 games as each instance was cumulative. I'm not saying he got off easy, only that this was not a single, nor double event. It was more than that. In that sense, he is lucky to be available for the playoffs.

Now... Can Smith make it a couple months without getting into MORE trouble?

Completely agree on the bolded.

As for the rest, apparently it broke down to 4 games for the DUI and 5 games for the Gun charges.

At the very least, the 4 games should be reduced for going to rehab in the middle of the season last year.

The 5 games? That's fair. What signal though are you sending to players if you don't consider it when they try to help themselves. Stupid decision IMO.
Hawk-Lock":36lyyuu1 said:
49er forum is going crazy. They think Goodell absolutely has a target on the niners back. Maybe they should think about what Aldon has done in his short stint in the NFL

Possesion of Marijauana
DUI
Gun Charges
Bomb at Airport

How can you argue with the suspension. The guy is a moron.

For the 500th time, MJ was a false report. He was never charged because it was never there.

Bomb threat? According to Aldon, he never said bomb. No idea what was said, but he wasn't charged. He was only suspended for the DUI and guns...which I can see, but why say you are going to take rehab into account if you aren't. THATS the BS to me. That and the fact that I think its an overreaction to the negative attention the suspension of Rice brought to the league.
Year of The Hawk":36lyyuu1 said:
IMHO 9 games is light. If anyone here (besides any self employed) did the same thing how many would have a job at all? Sports is waaaay more forgiving of this kind of behavior. It all about the money. I think it is wrong because the sport will make its money with or without Aldon Smith.

Honestly, and this really has little to do with Aldon, I think that line of reasoning is really faulty.

First off, my employer wouldn't even know it had happened let alone thinking it's in their prevue to punish me for it. That's what the legal system is for.

I work for a Tech company and they aren't going over me record for DUIs or misdemeanors in order to levy suspensions or fines.

That may be different in other professions, but for the most part the legal system is there to take care of issues with the law. Its not on the employer to levy its own punishment.
Scottemojo":36lyyuu1 said:
Not a doubt in my mind Aldon is paying for the Ray RIce debacle.

As for Roger not factoring the rehab, Aldon needed rehab pretty goddamm bad. Right then, in the middle of the season. Rehab was not something he could wait on. If his purpose in going was a lighter sentence from Roger, shame on him,but I don't think that was his purpose.

I hope Aldon gets it right now.

I agree...just sayin NOT factoring in rehab sends the wrong message to players. You want guys to go of their own volition, but getting them there for damn near any reason is a good idea.

The rehab may have factored in in allowing him to continue to attend team meetings and be present around the team. This was not something that was allowed for Josh Gordon. The feeling may have been that these were key things in helping him recover.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3hxkx4c5 said:
Scottemojo":3hxkx4c5 said:
Remember the flak I got from Niner fans for saying Tank Johnson's 8 game suspension was the precedent?
No

Well dammit, you should. I don't get very many chances to look this smart.

NINEster

Reaction score
lucky49":1vrlwy4t said:
i like how if aldon is playing, he only gets sacks because of justin smith but now he's suspended which means he's like the best pass rusher in the league and were gonna lose the division

:)

Or how he costs the 49ers "game changing" penalties against the Seahawks but still gets puts Wilson on the ground each and every game, and made perhaps the most impressive sack, forced fumble, and recovery on a mobile QB I've seen in a very long time, maybe ever. Had the 49ers won the NFCC, that one play would probably be agonized as much as the tipped INT was for us.

There are some level headed guys here who know what is up, but it is amusing to see the arguments tailored as needed.

Bottom line is A. Smith's absence is critical in the games against the big boys (Denver), but overall for a season his presence can be missed to some degree.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
NINEster":3btfmx3y said:
Bottom line is A. Smith's absence is critical in the games against the big boys (Denver), but overall for a season his presence can be missed to some degree.

In isolation maybe, but factor in that it's both him and Bowman for the first half of the season with a retooled secondary that may need time to gel and I'm not too sure.

With Bowman and Smith I think the 9ers had a possible chance (and by a chance I sincerely mean a possible chance) of taking the division while splitting with the Hawks, but if things go as expected this year I think there only chance of taking the division will have to include beating the Hawks twice.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3jmao0tw said:
Maybe the Niners fan base is just spoiled. Brooks smashes a beer bottle over the head of a team mate multiple times causing stitches and several players present filed reports. The DA's office issues a warrant for his arrest only to have someone above the DA pull the warrant sighting there wasn't enough evidence, even though they had signed statements and medical records as well as probably even had the beer bottle. The end result was absolutely nothing came of it. No arrest or charges, no punishment from the NFL or the team. It was washed and never looked back on.

Aldon shit on the shield several times before he was ever punished including a previous DUI but until this last event their has been no repercussions.

Still waiting on Cullivers results but it is right in the middle of all this.

Now Marvin believes even though there was video evidence of Aldon being drunk with audio of him struggling to spell his own name and a statement from an attending police officer stating that he believed Aldon was drunk, it should have no bearing on Goodell's decision. Roger said he would consider the rehab and there ended up being no charges so therefore according to Marvin, those 5 games should count towards the suspension.

He implies that since Rice only got two games either Aldon should have got less or Rice should have gotten more but he now ignores there was no charges for Rice let alone a conviction. If we are going by arrests or convictions then based on Marvins logic Rice shouldn't have received any punishment at all. How does that make sense?

Marvin you really should consider yourself lucky. Yes Aldon got a stiff punishment but when you factor in how much he has gotten away with while others on your team have also, 9 games is pretty damn light compared to what it could be.

Consider Browner had to fight a life time suspension for smoking pot and that was partly because he missed a test while not even part of the NFL. You can cry me a river when you consider the difference between Browner and Aldon.

You should also go read the "will Lynch be suspended" thread on the webzone. Most were hoping for at least a 4 game suspension and that was his first offense of any kind since being in Seattle, his first DUI and he blew half what Aldon did and it wasn't at 7:00am in a residential naighborhood while children were walking to school or even in the football season for that matter. They also didn't find drugs in his car.

Not going to defend Smith but are you really going to defend Lynch by saying his DUI wasn't as bad? Really, DUI is based on being over the limit of what is considered too impaired to safely operate a motor vehicle, not based on time of day or location of the offense. Smith gun charges which had he been here in WA wouldn't have even been an issue, but he was in CA. Where it is illegal therefore he was charged and rightly so. Lynch and Smith both have DUIs, it's either wrong or its not.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic semantic argument, but posting it just because it bothers me:

The primary problem with comparing being a professional athlete to a "regular job" is that nobody ever specifies what is a "regular job", and they act like all other jobs are "regular" jobs and are therefore the same. It's ridiculous. In some "regular jobs" you can get fired for a DUI (which happened to my friend's dad who was a school superintendent) and in other "regular jobs" you can avoid firing with multiple drug charges and with embezzling from your own company (which happened with a boss of a buddy of mine in the financial industry). In my "regular job" I can get fired for my colleagues not liking me, but can't get fired for performing well below average in 2/3rds of my stated duties. Point being that the "regular job" comparison is a total crock, and it has very little to do with professional athletes.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1ljy7geo said:
Most were hoping for at least a 4 game suspension and that was his first offense of any kind since being in Seattle

Which has what to do with what? If you could clear your record by changing teams there would by a lot more player movement in the NFL. :lol:

RichNhansom":1ljy7geo said:
his first DUI and he blew half what Aldon did and it wasn't at 7:00am in a residential naighborhood while children were walking to school or even in the football season for that matter. They also didn't find drugs in his car.

True, but we'll never know if it would have been his second DUI because he had his license revoked for committing a hit-and-run at 3:30 AM in the downtown bar district in Buffalo.

And before anyone says her injuries weren't serious, she had a bruised leg and needed seven stitches. We don't know much beyond that, but concluding it's nothing doesn't fit with my own experience: when I was hit by a car I ended up with a bruised leg and four stitches, and was 1) taken to the hospital in an ambulance, 2) held over night, 3) was immobile in bed for two weeks (my "bruised leg" was all of the blood vessels in my thigh popping and loose blood sloshing up and down my leg, meaning I couldn't stand up) and 4) got a VERY nice settlement from the driver's insurance company.

In any case though, comparing Lynch to Aldon is a fool's errand. It requires a delusional belief in formalized consistency or regularity in the way NFL suspensions are doled out. We all know that's not true, so it's pretty silly to pretend otherwise or make half-assed appeals to "fairness" IMO. It's a stupid and broken system if you think it's about players and their actions, whereas if you get over that fiction and treat it as the PR inspired system that it is, it makes MUCH more sense.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":396ccusd said:
RichNhansom":396ccusd said:
Maybe the Niners fan base is just spoiled. Brooks smashes a beer bottle over the head of a team mate multiple times causing stitches and several players present filed reports. The DA's office issues a warrant for his arrest only to have someone above the DA pull the warrant sighting there wasn't enough evidence, even though they had signed statements and medical records as well as probably even had the beer bottle. The end result was absolutely nothing came of it. No arrest or charges, no punishment from the NFL or the team. It was washed and never looked back on.

Aldon shit on the shield several times before he was ever punished including a previous DUI but until this last event their has been no repercussions.

Now Marvin believes even though there was video evidence of Aldon being drunk with audio of him struggling to spell his own name and a statement from an attending police officer stating that he believed Aldon was drunk, it should have no bearing on Goodell's decision. Roger said he would consider the rehab and there ended up being no charges so therefore according to Marvin, those 5 games should count towards the suspension.

He implies that since Rice only got two games either Aldon should have got less or Rice should have gotten more but he now ignores there was no charges for Rice let alone a conviction. If we are going by arrests or convictions then based on Marvins logic Rice shouldn't have received any punishment at all. How does that make sense?

Marvin you really should consider yourself lucky. Yes Aldon got a stiff punishment but when you factor in how much he has gotten away with while others on your team have also, 9 games is pretty damn light compared to what it could be.

Consider Browner had to fight a life time suspension for smoking pot and that was partly because he missed a test while not even part of the NFL. You can cry me a river when you consider the difference between Browner and Aldon.

You should also go read the "will Lynch be suspended" thread on the webzone. Most were hoping for at least a 4 game suspension and that was his first offense of any kind since being in Seattle, his first DUI and he blew half what Aldon did and it wasn't at 7:00am in a residential naighborhood while children were walking to school or even in the football season for that matter. They also didn't find drugs in his car.

Not going to defend Smith but are you really going to defend Lynch by saying his DUI wasn't as bad? Really, DUI is based on being over the limit of what is considered too impaired to safely operate a motor vehicle, not based on time of day or location of the offense. Smith gun charges which had he been here in WA wouldn't have even been an issue, but he was in CA. Where it is illegal therefore he was charged and rightly so. Lynch and Smith both have DUIs, it's either wrong or its not.

Considering Aldon was found passed out in his car, after he had plowed in to a tree, I would say that yes, his DUI was an order of magnitude worse than Marshawn's.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":cd9hr5tt said:
Considering Aldon was found passed out in his car, after he had plowed in to a tree, I would say that yes, his DUI was an order of magnitude worse than Marshawn's.

TBF though that pendulum swings both ways, as one could legitimately argue that Lynch's 3:30 AM hit-and-run was worse than Aldon's DUI as Aldon, unlike Lynch, has been lucky enough to never hurt another person.

(And the claim that you can hit somebody to the degree that they require seven stitches and you kept driving because you "didn't know" you hit them is absolutely preposterous -- my stitches were from my bike pedal slashing through my ankle; requiring stitches from a vehicular accident while on foot is a whole different ballgame).

I'll stop though, as I'm making a comparison that I sincerely do think is pointless and bogus to begin with, though. :)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster":3dl3jvlq said:
lucky49":3dl3jvlq said:
i like how if aldon is playing, he only gets sacks because of justin smith but now he's suspended which means he's like the best pass rusher in the league and were gonna lose the division

Or how he costs the 49ers "game changing" penalties against the Seahawks but still gets puts Wilson on the ground each and every game, and made perhaps the most impressive sack, forced fumble, and recovery on a mobile QB I've seen in a very long time, maybe ever. Had the 49ers won the NFCC, that one play would probably be agonized as much as the tipped INT was for us.

There are some level headed guys here who know what is up, but it is amusing to see the arguments tailored as needed.

The real funny part is the only ones making this strawman argument are 9er fans. Way to make up an agenda so you can argue it.

I think most Seahawks fans are aware of the other question marks like injury, new players, aging players, rookies and how poor your starting O-line and QB have performed through preseason.

I think you guys seem to forget we didn't have our best two receivers when we played you in Candlestick or in the NFCC game and we still went to the super bowl. Wilson was also playing through an injured left shoulder. Meanwhile you had your entire team on the field. You also needed that AZ loss to even make it close. If losing that AZ game meant we would lose the division, do you still think we lose that game?

I think Seattle might have overlooked a couple teams last year. One the AZ game. It was a team we had absolutely dominated the previous two match ups including a 58-0 drubbing the last time at the Clink and in a game that we could afford to lose and the 9ers in the NFCC game who like the Cardinal's had been easy pickens the last couple times these two met at the Clink.

I will give Harbaugh credit though. Keeping Kaep in the pocket all season only to unleash him in the NFCC game definitely caught us off guard and took a full quarter and a half and over 100 yards on the ground to make the adjustments to contain him. We spotted you ten points though and still were able to recover and beat you. That is more impressive than Harbaugh catching us off guard.

We don't need for you to lose Aldon or any other player to beat you though. That is obvious to anyone but Niner fans. Imagine how things may have looked in Candlestick or the NFCC game if we had Harvin and Rice. Now extrapolate that to this year with Wilson having another year experience.

I think it is funny how Niner fans think because they only lost by 6 in the NFCC game that that game is the outlier for how things will go in the future. Ignore the previous two games of 42-13 and 29-3 or that we only lost by 2 in Candlestick and that we were without Harvin or Rice, that game right there means (to Niner fans) that they have overcome and now will suddenly be able to beat us in Santa Clara and in Seattle. Haha that stuff always cracks me up.

Losing Aldon is just another chink in the armor. That he won't be back until the 10th game when the 35 year old Cowboy will likely be seeing the length of the season have it's affect does have meaning though. Without Aldon, Bowman, Williams and Dorsey on the field, Cowboy will have put in a ton of work by the time Williams (who will probably last three plays) and Aldon (if he doesn't get arrested again) and Bowman (who likely won't be the same as before all season) will be back to help. Even if the 35 year old Cowboy can stay healthy, he will likely be pretty tired and beat up by then.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2xufbica said:
SmokinHawk":2xufbica said:

TBF though that pendulum swings both ways, as one could legitimately argue that Lynch's 3:30 AM hit-and-run was worse than Aldon's DUI as Aldon, unlike Lynch, has been lucky enough to never hurt another person.

(And the claim that you can hit somebody to the degree that they require seven stitches and you kept driving because you "didn't know" you hit them is absolutely preposterous -- my stitches were from my bike pedal slashing through my ankle; requiring stitches from a vehicular accident while on foot is a whole different ballgame).

I'll stop though, as I'm making a comparison that I sincerely do think is pointless and bogus to begin with, though. :)

Go ahead and make the comparison. Why would a Seahawk fan be concerned about Lynch when he played on a different team? It only makes us look better when you factor in his presence on and off the field in the 4 years he has been here. Seems to me like Pete is doing something right to be able to take a player with Lynch's past and turn him into a productive team leader and player.

Maybe Aldon should come to Seattle so we can get him on the right track too. I mean he didn't get in trouble in college. All his arrests have come under the Niner watch. Apparently he thinks his behavior is the Niner way.

Which team would you rather be? The team that righted Lynch or the team that wronged Aldon? Pretty simple really.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NINEster":iflc7mru said:
lucky49":iflc7mru said:

Brooks puts Wilson on his back more. Smith DID cost the Niners 7 points and has been the provisional 3rd down conversion when the Hawks were backed up to their own 1.

Smith has sacked Wilson, but not with great frequency. He is not the same guy he was in 2011. Now that could be because of him being a more significant part of the run game and also teams focusing on stopping him at the cost of Brooks getting his chances.

If it was just Smith, the cost would be minimal, but no one can argue that the strength of the Niner defense is the front 7 and more specifically the linebacker group. Outside of Cowboy, the big boys up front are essentially serviceable players in the run game, also missing Dorsey.

We are not talking about blue collar LBers, we are talking about what I consider to be the best LBer in the league and the Niners' most accomplished pass rusher out for 9 games. No one knows when Bowman will really return at this point, all the talk about him coming back mid - season is just that, talk. 50 percent of the most formidable group of LBers in the NFL will not be on the field. The group that essentially makes the DL and secondary look very good.

Bowman covers more side to side ground than anyone I have ever seen. The combination of the 2 is nothing short of huge to that defense, especially the pass rush and the secondary that is unproven at best. Against starting QBs that is without a doubt the worst possible situation a defense could experience. Reduction in pressure and extremely suspect secondary play. We will know more about the secondary when the regular season starts, but they are not the kind of unit that can make up for a reduction in pass rush.

What does that mean? It means K-Choke needs to keep drives alive and score more points. If the offense struggles at all, the defense is going to pay the price. I think K-Choke can singlehandedly convert a ton of 3rd downs with his legs, but that also comes with a risk. If it was just Bowman I would say very little drop off, but with both it is going to take some very creative strategy to maintain the level of defense that the Niners have enjoyed.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1i2weuo8 said:
Seems to me like Pete is doing something right to be able to take a player with Lynch's past...

Which team would you rather be? The team that righted Lynch...

His DUI was with Pete while @ Seattle, bud. Really turned it around :lol:

In any case, I'm breaking two of my rules*, so I'll cut it out.

*Rule 1: Engaging further in a comparison that I think is pointless
*Rule 2: Momentarily suspending disbelief enough to respond to you seriously (it's a short, three person list here).

rideaducati

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":3tceo8q1 said:
Seems excessive. No one likes make-up calls on the field, and this appears to a be a make-up call off the field.

Don't get me wrong - nothing less than four games would have been sufficient. But one game more than half the season is too rough, in my opinion.

On the other hand, a healthy, rested Aldon Smith coming back in Week 10 (as the SF bye is Week 8) might give them a wind at their backs just in time to face the weak half of their slate:

@ Giants
vs. Redskins
vs. Seahawks
@ Raiders
@ Seahawks
vs. Chargers
vs. Cardinals

I could see SF going 7-1 during that back seven.

Good thing the Ravens aren't coming to Santa Clara this year - Ray Rice would be in serious jeopardy.

I see 5-2 AT BEST, but more likely 4-3.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3awo7j5o said:
Popeyejones":3awo7j5o said:
Slightly off-topic semantic argument, but posting it just because it bothers me:

The primary problem with comparing being a professional athlete to a "regular job" is that nobody ever specifies what is a "regular job", and they act like all other jobs are "regular" jobs and are therefore the same. It's ridiculous. In some "regular jobs" you can get fired for a DUI (which happened to my friend's dad who was a school superintendent) and in other "regular jobs" you can avoid firing with multiple drug charges and with embezzling from your own company (which happened with a boss of a buddy of mine in the financial industry). In my "regular job" I can get fired for my colleagues not liking me, but can't get fired for performing well below average in 2/3rds of my stated duties. Point being that the "regular job" comparison is a total crock, and it has very little to do with professional athletes.

As I said, each job is different with their own policies and employers will fire you for different reasons.

For example, in the NFL if you get into a fistfight at work, you might get warned, you might get tossed from a game if it's REALLY bad.

How many of us would get warned and told to go back to our desk if we had a fistfight at work? Just saying.

Ah, missed your post. Agreed. And the corollary of course is that I can't really get fired for not doing my job (or, most of it, at least), whereas in the NFL even with a contract players regularly get fired without any stated cause at all (e.g. what's happening all day today in the NFL, which would be internationally condemned front pages news if it was happening in most other industries --- "X industry colludes to lay-off 40% of global workforce in 8 hour period" :lol:).

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2850rv63 said:
lvnginhwktwn":2850rv63 said:
RichNhansom":2850rv63 said:

Well if you ever end up in court for DUI be sure and use the "well someone else did worse than me" defense, I'm sure the judge will take it into consideration.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ns3iz9c said:
RichNhansom":1ns3iz9c said:
Seems to me like Pete is doing something right to be able to take a player with Lynch's past...

Which team would you rather be? The team that righted Lynch...

His DUI was with Pete while @ Seattle, bud. Really turned it around :lol:

In any case, I'm breaking two of my rules*, so I'll cut it out.

*Rule 1: Engaging further in a comparison that I think is pointless
*Rule 2: Momentarily suspending disbelief enough to respond to you seriously (it's a short, three person list here).

His DUI has been over dramatized due to his exposure. Truth is many people have a couple beers and drive home. It sucks but it's a fact and if the legal limit were zero a huge industry would die because people wouldn't chance stopping at bars or having a beer at the mall. For that reason there is a what is known as an acceptable level and that is Under .08. Lynch was right at that limit when he blew.

The point is this could happen to many people and players but it's not reasonable to compare that to blowing a 1.5 and all that goes into Aldons DUI or to use it as an example of how he has failed. He has made one mistake since being a Seahawk and even that one was border line.

I think when you consider his past in Buffalo that is an important bit of info. Was it dumb? Yes but compared to his past it is still considered a vast improvement.

How has Aldons past compared to since he has been a Niner? You guys took him from bad reputation to felon level. Nice job. And now would be a much more appropriate use of the :lol:

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2e35f1xr said:
SmokinHawk":2e35f1xr said:

If you're expecting me to jump to Marshawn's defense, don't get your hopes up. It's possible he didn't see the person, evidenced by the fact they only got 7 stitches instead of a whole lotta dead. People tend to get a whole lot more than 7 stitches when they are hit by a speeding car. That said, I find it more likely that Marshawn was drunk and behaving irresponsibly, as he is not without his past antics.

You gotta admit, though, Aldon's DUI and subsequent meltdown has been quite the spectacle.