All 3rd downs in final 20 minutes

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2zi992fq said:
No you didn't. You said nothing. When guys are 10 yards off the line of scrimmage you have to take those yards given. This is elementary football and you can't comprehend this. The sad thing is you don't even know what I am talking about. :34853_doh:

Actually, I said quite a bit over there. You're the one that said nothing after your OP. If you'd like to discuss it, I'm happy to (in that thread).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
What's more egregious, is not the attempts/completions over the middle. It's the fact we aren't even sending anyone over there at all.

Conceding all that space just allows defenders to crowd where your receivers are. We're not forcing teams to play honest. And if I had to guess, it's part by design so that Wilson himself ends up being the middle threat by way of scramble.

Food for thought. As the OL continues to improve -- Russell may be in a much better position to clear the pass rush and exploit the vacated middle for chunk yardage. Right now, that's not happening. In reality, it seems we're having very real difficulty in uncorking Wilson's rushing threat. Whether it's up the middle or on RO plays. It appears that teams are favoring a disciplined pass rush up front rather than employing a spy to account for Wilson's scramble threat.

It'll be worth watching in the coming weeks. If teams have to get more exotic to exert pressure, opening scramble lanes. If they then keep more defenders in the middle to account for Wilson, does the pass plays we're using open up?

Right now it feels like we're calling a lot of plays that require a certain level of OL play that we're not quite able to muster. That seems like a concept mistake.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the clips Laloosh.

Regardless of what was shown elsewhere, those clips show a whole lotta fail on coming up with plays to get just a handful of yards. To create space for at least one person who the QB can expect to see free.