All Time - Career Passer Rating

Optimus25

Reaction score
Anthony!":1gtw7mgw said:
Laloosh":1gtw7mgw said:
West TX Hawk":1gtw7mgw said:
I think you're reading way too much into my post and becoming too defensive over something that's not that big of a deal. The fact that Wilson is currently ranked 2nd all time in this stat is very commendable but obviously this stat doesn't tell the whole story for any QB. As I pointed out, I am taking nothing away from what Wilson has accomplished in his career.

QB ratings can be deceptive and if you introduced someone to football who knew nothing about the game and you show them these rankings they would become quite confused when you try to point out that no, Matt Schaub and David Garrard were not actually more effective than Elway or Staubach. The rating favors many QBs who perform in high percentage passing systems. And comparing eras becomes useless with this stat.

Yeah, I might be too defensive about it. I don't think so but it's possible. I'm a little irritated because if you look at some of those same quarterbacks that you mention (Schaub for example) and look at how they rank in some of the other categories provided above, they're not even close.

My OP was a nod to Wilson's accomplishment. Your response was an attempt to discredit the accomplishment (no matter the importance or accuracy of the stat) from my point of view.

For what it is worth I took it the same way as you , an attempt to discredit or marginalize the accomplishment.

And i think ultimately the take away is qb rating plus team achievement= what do we care for factor.

In Wilson's case, the marginalization on this thread is lunacy.
To marginalize Romo, with his two playoff wins, is much more warranted.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Can't take any list seriously that has Romo at #3. Just can't.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":e8ae69sz said:

No doubt he is the king of Choke, but you cannot argue the difference he makes on THAT team.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
The vitriol on both sides of this fence is laughable at times. Wilson doesn't do everything right. He's also far from a journeyman Joe Blow. As soon as this team learns to convert Redzone opportunities into TD's this type of discussion will be dust in the wind.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1hrtb0i3 said:
Aaron Rodgers might be in the conversation for best ever.

Wilson is not the 2nd best ever.

And Romo is not the 3rd best ever.

Ratings systems are era skewed. Don't like em, won't trust em. (read that last sentence in your best Mike Singletary voice)

what about wins... i like that stat and Russ is pretty good at winning.. I also drive my dad's car real slow on the driveway

I too agree about the ratings.. QBR and the like.. too many variables that screw the QB in my opinion.. tipped passes for INT, drops, etc..

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34rhrm0j said:
Anthony!":34rhrm0j said:
JimmyG":34rhrm0j said:
West TX Hawk":34rhrm0j said:
QB ratings can be deceptive and if you introduced someone to football who knew nothing about the game and you show them these rankings they would become quite confused when you try to point out that no, Matt Schaub and David Garrard were not actually more effective than Elway or Staubach. The rating favors many QBs who perform in high percentage passing systems. And comparing eras becomes useless with this stat.
Definitely.

Wilson has a rating of 96.7 yesterday after his tremendous game on Sunday. Guess where that ranks among NFL quarterbacks? 11th. Eleventh! A rating that high in the 70's or 80's would've lead the league in most seasons. Today, it's a relatively common number to see.

Here are the leaders in combined passer rating since the beginning of 2012:
1. Aaron Rodgers - 107.5
2. Peyton Manning - 101.8
3. Drew Brees - 99.6
4. Tony Romo- 98.4
5. Russell Wilson - 98.2
6. Ben Roethlisberger - 97.5
7. Tom Brady - 97.2

That tells you all you need to know. Second-best all-time, and yet only fifth-best among his peers during his career. Wilson has great numbers, there's no denying it. Obviously, the names surrounding him on that list are all really good. Historical comparisons are of very tenuous value though.

either way you look at it, it is something that should be being received positively not being trivialized. FYI other than Romo and Wilson all of those guys are HOF bound. With Romo and Wilson TBD

Opening up the conversation a little to what QB Rating is and what it's an indicator of is not "trivializing" the conversation, but adding to it.

you should read the whole thread he was trying to trivialize it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":y7ixyjow said:
The vitriol on both sides of this fence is laughable at times. Wilson doesn't do everything right. He's also far from a journeyman Joe Blow. As soon as this team learns to convert Redzone opportunities into TD's this type of discussion will be dust in the wind.

LOL as I read that "Dust in the wind" came on the radio LOL

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't feel like reading through every post but people trying to dismiss the passer rating as if it means nothing is laughable. It obviously means something at a look at the top 10 is a who's who of the best of all time. Now this doesn't mean Wilson is #2 all time at the position but it means he's probably much better than a lot of the posters on this board want to give him credit for. I think he went through a rough patch this year but all QB's do from time to time.

OP thanks for sharing, kind of cool to see Wilson at that spot.

themunn

Reaction score
HawkGA":2o8v1dei said:

I don't know, had we had Romo between 2008 and 2012 instead of Hass I have no doubt we wouldn't have been as bad as we were. And if we had him in 2011 instead of Jackson we could have challenged the Niners a lot closer than we did.

If you look at Romo since 2007 and compared his stats to Brady and Manning's, aside from their ridiculous 2007 and 2013 seasons respectively, they look remarkably similar.

Romo's defense has always been his biggest limiting factor.

I think a perfect example is the 51-48 game against the Broncos in 2013, where Romo twice came from behind to lead in the 4th quarter, then the Broncos came back to tie the game. Romo has the chance to lead the Cowboys down the field to win the game, but throws his only interception in an otherwise perfect game.

At the end, it's "Romo chokes yet again", but when you throw 5 TDs and your team scores 48 points you should never be blaming a QB for choking at that point, it's all on (what was in 2013 the league's worst) defense.

Willyeye

Reaction score
HawkGA":2e943rmy said:

He may have rightfully gotten a bad reputation in previous seasons, but I have to say, he has improved. The Boys are 3-0 with Romo this year, and 0-7 without him. He got screwed by the refs in the Packers game last year, or we may have had to face the Cowboys in the NFCCG last year. I think he doesn't get enough credit for all of the good things he's done on a crappy team. That said, obviously Wilson is not the 2nd best QB in NFL history, and Romo is not 3rd best. Either way, any QB that is able to keep his starting job for over 10 years on one team should not be looked at as a loser. And the rest of the people on that list are mostly elite QB's. Discounting an entire list based on the inclusion of one guy is being kind of picky.

SeaChase

Reaction score
You may want to wait until the end of his career before you start arguing about career QB ratings. Because your franchise QB is sitting at #18 with a rating of 60.7 for 2015. http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SeaChase":3tsqojny said:
You may want to wait till the end of his career before you start arguing about career QB ratings. Because your franchise QB is sitting at #18 with a rating of 60.7 for 2015. http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Dude . . . that's QBR. The nonsense stat that ESPN owns and has been shoving down people's throats. No one knows how it is calculated, because they refuse to release their formula, but it appears to be highly dependent on offensive line play. Anyone who knows anything about NFL statistics knows not to take QBR seriously.

Wilson's actual QB rating is 96.7.

Willyeye

Reaction score
SeaChase":1cve42zo said:
You may want to wait until the end of his career before you start arguing about career QB ratings. Because your franchise QB is sitting at #18 with a rating of 60.7 for 2015. http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

NFL records are not set by ESPN. Their QBR (QB rating) is subjective...multiple aspects of their rating system rely on people to use their own judgement to assess a QB's performance, and they don't give much credit to dual threat QB's that have a great running game. They also hold Wilson responsible for every sack, regardless of whether his O-Line is ranked #1 or #32. ESPN thinks there is no excuse for a sack. Career passer rating records are kept by the NFL. Wilson's career rating is currently 98.2, good enough for a #2 ranking all-time.

Here are Wilson's rankings on both NFL passer rating and ESPN QBR for all of his seasons:

2015: NFL- #11; ESPN- #18
2014: NFL- #10; ESPN- #8
2013: NFL- #7; ESPN- #11
2012: NFL- #4; ESPN- #5

This year's disparity will likely be much closer by the end of the season, as bears out in past seasons.

Hawks46

Reaction score
chawx":2xofehks said:
KiwiHawk":2xofehks said:
I am not championing QBR by any means, but for contrast I present WIlson's rank this year, which is 18th. By that rating system he is the 18th best QB in the league. [sic] When I look at the season, as a whole, I see Wilson at or near where QBR sees him...

I will now list 17 QBs in the NFL right now who I would rather have run this offense—not, their offense (ie. the offense that QB runs) but THIS offense, with THIS OC, and with THIS offensive line protecting them....

1) .......

Hmm.

K, nevermind. I can't get a single name. Call me a homer... but I'd like to see your list of 17 SEVENTEEN QBs who you think would be better on this team, right now. with this OC, and this O-line.

Go.

Aaron Rodgers.

Cam Newton (and I can't believe I typed that).

This year, they're both better and have the physical tools to survive our OL. I would take Russ over both of them in the long term, or I would've until Newton blew up this year. I still can't stand Newton the celebrator, but he's grown up and says the right things now and seems to be a better team mate.

You asked.

Tical21

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2sgtppqh said:
Tical21":2sgtppqh said:
Passer rating basically boils down to TD/Int ratio. It is kind of a cool list. A lot of those guys are really aggressive and can maintain a high passer rating. I think those are where you're talking about the elite of the elite.

It's an interesting question. Would we prefer Russell's rating to be a little bit lower in exchange for being a bit more aggressive in terms of the windows he is willing to throw the ball into?
No, he's doing exactly what Pete Carroll want's of him.....It ain't about the stats Tickle.
Yeah, cause everybody knows how into stats I am.

I guarantee you with 100% certainty that if Russell's primary receiver wins his route, Pete wants that receiver to get the ball. In those situations, he doesn't want Russell to dance around and get sacked, throw the ball out of bounds, or run for a three yard gain nearly as often as he does, none of which will really hurt his quarterback rating, but don't help us score points either.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SeaChase":1uaqm8ny said:

QBR - The worst subjective piece of crap metric ever invented.

Seafan

Reaction score
His agent doesn't want people looking at stats but wins and losses. Well, this season he's 5-5. No way has he earned his pay this year. He's simply the most overpaid QB in Seahawk history.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":13l0e2pl said:
His agent doesn't want people looking at stats but wins and losses. Well, this season he's 5-5. No way has he earned his pay this year. He's simply the most overpaid QB in Seahawk history.

:pukeface:

Latest posts