Am I the only one not that concerned about Clemons?

BeastQuake

Reaction score
Since there's no read option to worry about for the Falcons, wouldn't a physically fresh player be good at just going out there with a high motor, because DE is not the most scheme or mentally demanding position?

Jville

Reaction score
Losing Cris Clemons is a huge loss.

They lost a complete player with all the tools ...... as well as a field leader. He will be missed ..... and his absence will have a ripple effect on the defense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Losing Clemons is huge. Besides the sacks, he's disruptive, and does a good job forcing the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. He has a knack for stripping the ball out also, and has been solid in run support. I see if big game for Falcons receivers and Gonzalez if we give them all day to throw it.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
All I gotta say is: Richard Sherman.

Trufant was playing at an alright level before he went down last year. He was a our former pro bowl #1 corner. Than Thurmond goes down and now we are starting a 4th round pick and the rest is history.

Does it suck to lose Clemons? Of course it does! But I believe in this team. I got this feeling Irvin is gonna be just fine and will actually take the job from a healthy Clemons next year.

Jville

Reaction score
amill87":3s6lkmmz said:

Trufant was playing at an alright level before he went down last year. He was a our former pro bowl #1 corner. Than Thurmond goes down and now we are starting a 4th round pick and the rest is history.

Does it suck to lose Clemons? Of course it does! But I believe in this team. I got this feeling Irvin is gonna be just fine and will actually take the job from a healthy Clemons next year.

Clemons has a big veteran tool box. Young Bruce Irvin is in the process of building his. Believe it or not ........ some of us here can see the difference.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
amill87":2zpl1wp8 said:

Richard Sherman plays DE, I didn't know.

........and Irvin was drafted to play opposite of Clemons, that's why we resigned Clemons to a big contract. He's not taking the place of anybody, you still need two speed rushers. Now we have one........thus concern.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11ulqcoh said:
amill87":11ulqcoh said:

Richard Sherman plays DE, I didn't know.

........and Irvin was drafted to play opposite of Clemons, that's why we resigned Clemons to a big contract. He's not taking the place of anybody, you still need two speed rushers. Now we have one........thus concern.

:34853_doh:

Because contracts mean you are a starter on this team right?

I brought up Sherman because we were worried when we lost our veterans. Trufant had a big veteran tool box as well and everyone (myself included) was worried when we had to put some 4th round rookie who has barely played CB in.

I would be willing to bet with you that Pete would love for Irvin to be more than a back up to Clemons and take his job. Irvin was drafted to be an impact player on our team not to just be second fiddle to Clemons.

Let me put it like this, you think I'm crazy for not being worried (and I just may be crazy) but I think you're crazy for thinking Clemons' position on our d-line does not effect his stats positively. He was a nobody before Seattle and was destined to be a back up until he finally would've fell out of the league.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
You may not be concerned about Clemons now, but if we have to face Green Bay, NE, or Denver at some point, you may change your tune. Remember how much trouble he gave Aaron Rodgers in the first matchup?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think about the impact of Clemons (and by extension, Irvin). Yes, Clemons has a ridiculous number of sacks over three years, but let's be honest...this team has almost zero pass rush. It's barely there. Despite Clemons. Consistent, every-drive, truly QB-disconcerting Giants-style pressure is not present on this team and never has been under Pete Carroll.

I can't help but feel, then, that Clemons' impact is more coincidental than absolute. In 2010, Clemons was still getting sacks, but the team was getting steamrolled. Clemons' improvement certainly doesn't SEEM to be the piece that has transformed this defense.

I might guess that other players are getting Clemons opportunities. I couldn't say whom. Now obviously, someone still needs to get those sacks, so Clemons is nowhere near worthless. But the fact that we have the #1 scoring defense in the league despite the absence of pass rush (yes, you read that right) does seem to make the DE position a little easier to reload.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I agree.. Im not sure that we generate much Pass rush anyhow... When did clemons go down? and when did our Defense Get nasty?
just wondering?

pehawk

Reaction score
amill87":1dhxkli9 said:

This is a great point. OL, LB, CB, WR's, have all been positions where people on the board have cried "we're screwed" due to injuries/roster changes under Pete's regime. And, every time, it's work out to be better than before.

SirTed

Reaction score
Glossing over this thread it seems like no one has brought up the effect a lack of Clemons will have on 3rd down. Even if we assuming that Irvin can fill in for Clem on more of an every down basis, what about on 3rd when Irvin takes Red's spot? Who takes that RDE spot now, and what kind of effect will that have? There's a whole chain reaction that occurs that will have a MASSIVE effect on this teams ability to generate pass rush.

Rat

Reaction score
Probably the second worst injury we could have had to our defense. It absolutely is huge. I believe we can still win without him (I thought he disappeared a lot during our hot finish anyway), but it'll be considerably more difficult now, especially if we have to play Green Bay, New England, or Denver at any point.

Tical21

Reaction score
I just can't agree with the OP. IMO Clem is one of the five most valuable players on this team. It is time to see if this Irvin kid can play.

CANHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":jcnzmlq5 said:
amill87":jcnzmlq5 said:

This is a great point. OL, LB, CB, WR's, have all been positions where people on the board have cried "we're screwed" due to injuries/roster changes under Pete's regime. And, every time, it's work out to be better than before.

It's funny because I have absolutely zero concern about the next man up (Irvin), nor do I have any worry about the man replacing Irvin on the passing downs (Scruggs). I already know that they're both dope pass rushers and will do fine. Might even be an improvement (which is saying something cuz I love me some Clem).

No, my only concern right now is the lack of depth behind those next two men up as we don't have anyone on the active roster or the PS who could step up and play the role. I'm really hoping to hear of a signing sometime soon.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think Irvin will do better than anyone expects because he knows he has big shoes to fill from here on out and he doesn't want to let anyone down. I also think Scruggs is going to come in for Red on passing downs and do quite well. These coaches KNOW what they're doing and a lot of different guys have been getting a lot of reps this year.